2011-07-20 23:12:41

Today apple released lion in to the junkel known as the public. To put it in other turms, OSX lion is in the mac app store and I was wondering what people views of were? Do yall like it? What features do people like about it? What ones isn't liked? What is good about it and what isn't? Is it werth the price? Is alot of just hipe like I'm thinking, not that I would object to some of the features. Is it something to go out and buy a mac for? I'm still using a windows machine and haven't bought a mac yet do to the prices, I do own an IPod touch.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-07-21 11:53:28

I haven't bought Lion yet, but the price is very reasonable for an operating system upgrade. If Microsoft charged only £20 or $30 to upgrade from XP to Vista or Vista to 7 I'm sure there would have been much higher take up.

I would not suggest you buy a Mac if you have a perfectly useable computer already. It is something to think hard about when it comes time to buy a new computer, and Macs can still run Windows in dual boot in case you need or want access to Windows software such as most audio games.

Interestingly though Apple has also released Lion Server on the App store as a separate set of applications which can be installed on any Mac running Lion, costing £35 which should be perhaps around $60? For just this price you can set up your own email server, web server, file transfer server, VPN server, wiki or any number of other things on a home computer. I don't know how accessible they are so I can't promise it'll work with voice over, I can't imagine it being excessively fancy but you never know.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-24 09:31:00

I've got Lion now and had a couple days to play with it. The big, big announcements aren't as exciting as far as I can tell for Voice Over users. In fact I took one look at Launchpad and the other thing and decided it wasn't really useful to me. Safari also has an annoying habit of reopening to the last page you visited rather than your home page, and nowhere in Safari's preferences can you turn this behaviour off. Not sure if there is something in Lion itself that can be disabled to stop this.

On the other hand single key commands in quicknav mode is an "about time" improvement. You previolusly couldn't navigate web pages by pressing H to jump to headings and that kind of thing we're all used to but now you can, and there's an easy menu to let you choose what you want each key to do. I could see the "air drop" function which lets you transfer files between two macs being useful, you don't need to be in a network to do it. It's sort of like the old sending files via infrared on things like the Pac Mate but with wireless.

It's $30 for what is essentially a combined operating system and screen reader upgrade. If that in itself isn't a no brainer I don't know what is.

I still wouldn't suggest someone buy a Mac if they already have a perfectly fine computer with screen reader though. It's something to consider very seriously if you need a new computer, it is a pretty decent option in a lot of ways, but it all comes down to what you want.

I will say though that the new MacBook Air looks only marginally less atrocious than the last. It has a core I5 processor now instead of the core 2 duo, about time, but unless you pay for lots of upgrades and get a 13 inch model you're still stuck well below 2ghz. The basic MacBook Pro isn't much more expensive than the basic MacBook Air and you get much higher specs than the Air can have at its highest maxed out version.

The new Mac Mini's dropped the core 2 duo as well and boosted the hard drive to 500gb as standard with the option of 750gb, and the price has come down but that's because it hasn't got an optical drive built in any more. If you don't use the optical drive much that's no problem, just plug in the external drive bought with the price difference when you need it if you need it, but if you regularly watch DVDs and that kind of thing on your computer it's a bit of a drawback.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-24 15:33:58

Hey.

Got the upgrade as well, it's beautiful indeed.
Apple did some overhauls of VoiceOver in garage band, making things such as resizing regions, moving the end of song indicator and such way easyer as well.
They also added multilingual voices, which is beautiful if you're a dane like me.
They simplified drag and drop too, there's a full list of things revamped with Voiceover on the apple site.
On the whole I agree with cx2, launch pad and mission control are neat, but I haven't really used them so far.
Also, note that the downloads in safari are now a button on the toolbar, which opens a pop-over. I haven't found a way to open the pop-over without interacting with the toolbar and pressing the button, someone correct me here if I'm wrong please.
Sorry for the unstructuredness of this post, but those are my views so far.
Malthe.

2011-07-24 18:05:12

Yeah I'd meant to mention the drag and drop, I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it's a big improvement. iTunes seemed to be laggy for a good while after install but several reboots later and its working fine.

There's also the recovery partition which I haven't tried with Voice Over but since the installer for Mac OS apparently can run Voice Over I don't see why the recovery partition shouldn't. Even the Lion installer worked with voice over while it was installing, it was off by default but with the usual command F5 it turned Voice Over on with an admittedly rougher sounding voice and I even got it to turn on the trackpad commander.

cx2
-----

2011-07-24 20:13:39

Ah. The iTunes thing might be because of some indexing stuff that's going on the first couple of hours as far as I read.
Yeah, VO is pretty good about running in the installers, I've only done recovery in snow leopard from a bootable dvd, but I'd think it would work. I'll have to try it out at some point smile

One thing someone might want to do before upgrading is back up the app file and get the DMG file out of the app package, so you can burn a dvd or make a USB drive that is bootable so you can do recovery and such, even if your disk fails completely.
the installer removes itself after lion is installed, so you need to take the backup before you actually run it (just quit it when app store launches it, and do what you have to).

2011-07-24 23:55:55

As for Safari, it does what most if not all lion apps are serpost to do and that is to open to the last spot you were. I think it is trying to copy the IPhone in this way and doing away with the closing apps idea. I know that MacBreak Weekly 256, and Tech Chat 110 talk about the new features of lion. To some up the post I saw in this topic, lion is usable and is a great deal if you have a mac, but don't really worry about it if you are not in the market for a new computer and don't have a mac. Is there something I missed? Are there any more views on this OS?

Now if I can post this before the power desides to leave again.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-07-25 09:16:35

Luckily I've managed to find an option to turn off saving the state of software, I personally much prefer opening them fresh. I've also tried out the recovery partition and yes Voice Over works fine in it.

I know there is a way to redownload Lion even if you've already installed it but I don't think it's accessible. Apparently you have to click the purchases tab in the app store while holding down the option key, the voice over command to perform a mouse click requires you to hold the option key so I'm not sure that counts.

CW, yes that's pretty much the case. Of course being able to reinstall without sighted help if you ever need to is a very reassuring ability, I don't think you even need to worry about CD keys and voice over should work completely in the installs once you turn it on. You just have to let it boot first with no feedback, just leave it a minute or two then hit command F5 and it'll be talking right away. Mac OS is also very low maintenance, you don't need to defragment it and software conflicts are rare to non-existent. Drivers for most well known brands of printer and scanner are built in so you don't even need the disc for drivers, though you might for OCR software and that kind of thing. I miss being able to fiddle but it is an unbelievably hassle free experience.

cx2
-----

2011-07-25 14:30:34

cx2: That way, is that in system preferences under general I believe? Not sure, but thought I saw it there when going through.
Great that the recovery works!
With regards to purchasing, in that case, what you might be able to do   is just move your voiceOver curser to the tab, move mouse curser to VO and do an option click on your trackpad instead. I haven't tried, but in theory it should work smile.
Have you played with auto correct yet?

Malthe

2011-07-25 15:36:53

Hi,

You almost got it. I am not sure if this works in the appstore but what i do in iTunes for option-click, for example to custom restore my iPhone:
Move mouse to voiceOver cursor, then turn voiceOver off and do option-click on trackpad, then turn voiceOver back on

2011-07-25 23:59:31

Aha, sweet. One could probably write an apple script to option click on stuff actually.

2011-07-26 01:12:22

I'm going to get a mac very soon and I have mixed feelings about lion.
The international voices are a definate improvement... seeing before you had to pay 200 euros for acapela voices.
What i'm not really keen on, however, is the new autosaving feature and all the revision stuff. Probably because I've really got used to having a file without the system handling keeping backups behind the scenes, so the idea seems rather disturbing... though now that i'm writing about it I can see the positive end of it.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-07-26 08:11:24

I believe there was an option to disable auto save. I thought MS Office had an auto save function though, even if not a revision one? Something like automatically save every 10 minutes or that kind of thing. Truth be told there wasn't much downside to buying Lion.

I don't think the iTunes issue was indexing since my system ran fine everywhere else, and with iTunes in the background but working in another application the system ran fine. It isn't an issue now anyway though. The one annoying thing is I can no longer use VO-home to move to the beginning or end of the grid views for music, TV series etc. The item chooser on the web is acting strange as well, not finding the items I type the name of. I tried it both with quicknav on and off.

If anyone does plan on buying a Mac I would strongly suggest you get a trackpad, whether its the built in ones or the magic trackpad for a desktop mac. It's incredibly useful, more so than you would possibly imagine without having tried it.

cx2
-----

2011-07-26 11:46:37

I'll say that Lion is awesome and have some great improvements. However, the new Safari is great in many ways, but the mouse won't follow Voceover which makes me unable to right click and open a link in a new winow. I see a lot of focusing issue which I really hope will be fixed very soon. And yes. I've tried webkit! smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-07-26 15:02:29

Okay this'll sounjd silly but what is webkit?

cx2
-----

2011-07-26 16:01:34

It's the rendering engine that safari uses.
Nokia, google and amazon use it in their browsers as well.

2011-07-26 17:26:30

Ah, thanks. Not sure why "trying webkit" would be relevant if that's part of the browser already.

cx2
-----

2011-07-28 09:07:29

Webkit is like the engine Safari uses for viewing websites. You can download webkit as an application so you always run the latest build. The guys who are working on the engine works much faster than the guys who updates Safari, which means lots of bugs are fixed in webkit which might be fixed in Safari months later it has been released in the webkit app.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-07-30 12:18:48

Ah now that makes sense, thankyou. Sorry about the confusion. I'm not used to being able to install a dependant application seperately like that, still thinking in old fashioned Windows terms I guess.

cx2
-----

2011-08-17 19:51:13 (edited by brad 2011-08-17 19:52:50)

Hi, this is kind of off topic well it is to do with macs but not with lion exactly... well ok, not at all. smile

i am going to a sighted college and am going to study music tech and am going to buy a macbook  with lion already installed on it off someone. will my question is because i am going to have to use garage band and maybe protools. (pro tools)  in the loop brouser for garage band how do you play a  loop?
i mean how do you play and stop a loop that you have selected in the loop table.
any help would be greatly apresheated.
thanks.
love and light,
brad.

I'm gone for real :)

2011-08-17 23:36:15

IN garage band, if I remember right, you press command+shift+l when you're on the loop. I don't use the built-in loops often, but I seem to remember that's how.

2011-08-20 00:14:04

hi,
thanks i will try that when i get my macbook.

I'm gone for real :)