2011-07-14 03:43:36

how on earth do you get knights

2011-07-14 04:04:51

Well that was epic! I got to build all the buildings, got up to a population of 32 and started building the ship, I also then started on the wheat farm and such for kicks, but that didn't work out sinse despite having over 120 meat, 260 odd vegitables and about 10 barrels of wine (why do people burn through wine so much quicker than food even without the alcoholics fault), someone starved.

I did check the tavern, and though it listed zero meat, there were five vegitables.

I did wonder if it was that my peasants were too busy to take food to the tavern from the storehouse, which would be very silly.

it'd actually be nice to get some warnings about when people are starting to get hungry or miss their meal so then you can do something about it, sinse everyone seems to have had this happen in a game, pooof, someone starves!

the ship was going well, though it was a litle difficult to see how things were going. I gathered I'd finished on the lumber sinse my peasants started taking lumber elsewhere after a while, but I was less sure of metal, and it was rather annoying having a miner and metallergist working away for no bennifit when they could've helped out my peasants and builders more.

Anyway, i did eventually get the ship completed, and assigned some more peasants to hopefully stave off starvation by moving things around, then suddenly booom!

Castaways
Run-time error '9':
Subscript out of range
OK

Very annoying sinse I was just about to start building the thing, and though I do have a saved game it's just before I started on the wheat farm, so it was a ways ago, and if the smith business is fixed that would make things much easier sinse I did seem to spend a lot of time mucking about with smiths who weren't doing their job.

TheLuckily the same problem didn't seem to come up with taylors who would! use stockpiled firs, however the butcher was so useful for increasing meat output I kept her going anyway.

I'll be interested to see the new version and what things are added, and to see if I can get that blasted ship built this time ;D.

Oh btw, one really serious problem I did run into after my population got above 25 or so was too many dam messages! I had to play the game on slow just to be able to here what was going on.

I'd really appreciate it if something could be done to make these more efficient and cut out the spam, by using names at the end of sentences and by having some filters, or replacing some with sfx. Lots of the resource messages could be fine as sfx, and some, such as the message that the farmer has harvested something or that a lumberjack has cut down a tree are imho completely unnecessary, sinse you'll find out both happen when the peasant brings the farm produce to the tavern or the tree to the sawmill.

Eddit: bad news, I tried multiplayer co op and got:

Castaways
Run-time error '339':
Component 'MSWINSCK.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid
OK

I set my first perk to union smasher, my second to green thumb, and my fault to light lunch.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-14 05:08:29 (edited by Hatred 2011-07-14 08:11:52)

Hey guys, I'm new here, but not really. I'm a friend of Aprone's from way back. In fact, he's the one that taught me how to program! I've been helping with with some ideas and testing things out for him and this game really caught my interest. Since so many people, myself included, seem to be confused as to what the buildings actually do, I've created a short guide to Castaways. Please keep in mind that I'm still working on this guide, and you'll probably see it grow and change over time. Any comments would be appreciated! If enough people want it, I may even make a true guide to the game, including all the resources, jobs, and a few different strategies.

For now, the buildings! Each building is listed in this format: Name, Cost to build, and Game Description. If I felt it was needed, I also included my own foot notes for how the building actually works in the game. Please be advised, this post is very lengthy.

House
3 Lumber and 3 Bricks
A House provides shelter and warmth for up to 4 people.  If you do not have enough homes to support your population, people will be more likely to get sick, or even die from exposure to the weather.

Hatred's Note
Houses give your people protection from sickness and also allow your population to grow. For each House you have built, you can support up to 4 people. When you first start the game, you will need to build enough Houses to catch up to your population before your women will get pregnant. For example, if you have 14 people when you start, you will not see any pregnant women until you build 4 Houses.

Tavern
8 Lumber and 6 Bricks
A Tavern becomes the meeting place for everyone who needs to grab something to eat.  Without a Tavern, your people will not be able to get the food they need to survive.  Remember that a Tavern can only serve food that has been created elsewhere.

Hatred's Note
The Tavern acts as a way to feed your population. Once you build a Tavern, you need to assign a Cook to prepare and serve the food. Without a cook, no one will be fed and your population will starve. Also keep in mind that peasants are needed to transport food to the Tavern to keep it stocked. Optionally, you can also assign a Bartender to serve Wine.

Storehouse
10 Lumber and 8 Bricks
A Storehouse acts as storage for all of your various supplies.  Without any Storehouse, the supplies you do have are probably strewn about on the ground, and will take much longer to search through.  Try to put the storehouse close to other buildings, because your peasants must carry items between them.

Hatred's Note
Storehouses don't technically store anything in Castaways. Storehouses help speed up peasants transporting goods by allowing them to collect resources from one area. The best use of a Storehouse is to put it in near buildings that require regular resources, such as the Tavern and Hospital.

Sawmill
4 Lumber and 4 Bricks
The Saw mill is filled with specialized saws and equipment, allowing a carpenter to convert the log of a tree, in to useful materials like Lumber.  Barrel makers also work in the Saw mill, where they craft wooden barrels to be used in wine storage.

Quarry
4 Lumber and 4 Bricks
In a Quary, stone masons carve large stones into usable bricks.  Place your Quary near stony ground, so that your stone masons don't have to travel as far to collect rocks.

Wheat Farm
5 Lumber and 3 Bricks
These Farms grow crops of wheat, that can later be milled in to flour.

Vegetable Farm
5 Lumber and 3 Bricks
These Farms grow vegetables that your people can eat.  Growing vegetables does not require any extra steps, so it is a good way to produce a steady food supply, early on in your settlement's development.

Butcher Shop
4 Lumber and 4 Bricks
After Hunters catch prey in the forest, they bring the animals to the nearest Butcher shop.  Once here, a butcher will separate the meat and the fur, so that both parts can be used elsewhere.

Mill
6 Lumber and 2 Bricks
A Mill is a large wooden wind mill, which grinds wheat, in to bags of flour.  A peasant will operate the Mill, when flour needs to be made.

Bakery
4 Lumber and 4 Bricks
A Bakery is where a baker works to turn bags of flour, in to loaves of bread.  If you can provide enough flour, bread can easily become the backbone to your peoples' food supply.

Vineyard
6 Lumber and 2 Bricks
A Vineyard is a farm that focuses on growing grapes.  A farmer presses the grapes to make wine, which is then stored in wooden barrels.

Hospital
4 Lumber and 4 Bricks
A Hospital provides a place for the sick, and injured, to rest and be healed by a doctor.  From time, to time, your people will get sick or injured, so a hospital becomes an essential structure.

Mine
8 Lumber and 2 Bricks
From a Mine, miners tunnel into the ground, looking for deposits of metal ore.  Before the metal ore can be used, it must be processed at a Forge.

Forge
3 Lumber and 10 Bricks
The Forge is the work space for both, blacksmiths, and metalurgists.  Metalurgists process raw metal ore, and convert it in to metal bars.  Blacksmiths skillfully craft those metal bars, in to suits of armor, and swords.

Textile
4 Lumber and 3 Bricks
A Textile is a shop specializing in cloth.  Peasants spin animal fur into yarn, and Tailors weave that yarn into cloth.  Cloth is used as bandages, by doctors, in order to heal people who are injured.

Barracks
8 Lumber, 12 Bricks, and 4 Metal Bars
A Barracks is the training center for your soldiers.  Soldiers work to defend your land against the approaching Goblin armies.  When a blacksmith forges a weapon and armor, and they are brought to the Barracks, an available soldier will automatically train to permanently become a Knight.

Guard Tower
4 Lumber, 8 Bricks, and 1 Metal Bar
Guard towers serve as fortifications around your land.  Traveling out, to attack Goblins, can waste tremendous amounts of time.  Position Guard towers near the areas you want protected most, and your soldiers, and knights, won't have to travel very far.

Ship
50 Lumber, 18 Metal Bars, and 30 Cloth
It was a great ship that first brought your people here, so it makes sense that one could send them home.

2011-07-14 06:21:28 (edited by CAE_Jones 2011-07-14 07:11:11)

Whew! I'm on the latest version, and I think I might actually be able to beat the thing if it doesn't crash (I have enough metal, and am close to enough cloth and lumber, a population of of nearly 60, and I have eight knights and a soldier keeping the goblins plenty far from my settlement).
I'll add another soldier, though, just because one of the children is named Arthur. I'd make him a knight, but I don't feel like wasting some of my metal on armor and a sword when we're so close to being able to build a ship.

Anyway, the only real problem I have is that with such a huge populations, I get the sounds and pauses indicating pregnancy, birth, injury, coming of age, Etc, but the actual message explaining what exactly happened comes way later in the queue. This isn't really a problem so much as a nuissance, except that in one instance my cook got injured (again--I'm on the same game from my last post...). I managed to replace him before anyone starved, this time, but oy! Frightening!

At one point my peasants got really slow at bringing materials to construction sites--I lost track of how many houses I had under construction (I think I have enough now, thanks! XD).
I've noticed that brick production slows as the game continues, though I think this was intentional, since rocky terrain and fields become rocky soil after use. I don't think I need any more bricks at this point, though, so I've reassigned my stone mason to farming, since I can't keep bread in storage anymore (People go through bread faster than it can be produced...).

I have over 250 vegetables and am trying to keep my meat around 50, though, so I don't think starvation is likely. smile

[edit] Working on stocking the ship. For some reason, the peasants keep bringing meat there, even though the building details claim the ship has plenty of meat. :?
[/edit]
[edit2] They're doing it again with vegetables! Though I don't have much bread or wine... but... still, they're like, totally wasting our food... sad [/edit2]
[edit3] It seems they've finally realized that the ship is full and they need to take the meat and vegetables to the tavern while we wait on the bread and wine. It wrecked our supply of meat, though.[/edit3]

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-14 07:21:28 (edited by CAE_Jones 2011-07-14 07:49:28)

(Ok, that's a long post)
I think I know why it looked like people were putting food in the ship inappropriately... the message queue hadn't caught up with the actual moving of goods. I have 64 people, so the queue only just now told me about an injury that came up many minutes ago...

[edit] And I finally escaped the goblin-ridden island of doom!

Something looks like a bug at the end. After the winning exposition, it announces that you're back at the main menu, but actually I was still at the map, and could pause and unpause, though there were no more ticks. I didn't try to see if I could still look at buildings or people. Pressing escape still got me back to the menu.

Good work, Aprone!
[/edit]

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-14 10:08:07

hello.
I downloaded this game,and have ran it without any problems.
However a friend of mine isn't able to run it.after pressing enter on finilise character, this runtime error comes up
---------------------------

Castaways

Run-time error '13':

Type mismatch

OK   

thanks. I'll report again if something else comes up.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2011-07-14 10:10:33

thanks hatred, that's really good going. perhaps you could write this up as a document and put it up with the game?

Wow Cae, I feel rather humbled, and I thought I was doing well with my population of 32 ;d.

It is however good to know that I perhaps didn't quite need all eleven of my knights, though sinse we had a boy called maximus he really had only one career, ---- sinse gladiator isn't in there ;D.

I'll have to try again now hopefully the smiths behave.

Are surplus resources of lumber and metal stil building up like nobody's business when your not actually building with them? I noticed this before, particularly with iron bars, furs and lumber, and it might've happened with cloth as well if I weren't trying to build the ship.

One thought for this, is an idea from dwarf fortress. Every so often, ---- ie many ticks, a trader appears. Perhaps another race such as kobold, trol pixie or dwarf.

At that stage, the game pauses and you get access to all the resources in your storehouse and can trade them for the traders' goods. Obviously the trader will only trade in certain things, especially manufactured items (actually the only basic item I could imagine the trader trading for is fir).

here's a tentative price list suggestion, I've used fir to show exchange wrates, but obviously I was thinking you could exchange anything for anything else. Also, quite obviously it should be cheaper to make your own stuff than to trade for it, trading I just see as a way of doing something useful with surplus resources:

1 lumber = 2 fir.
1 barrel = 7 fir.
1 barrel of wine = 6 fir, but must have your own barrel.
1 Metal bar = 4 fir.
1 sack of flour = 4 fir.
1 loaf of bred = 6 fir.
1 sute of armour and sword = 10 fir.
1 cloth = 3 fir.
1 slave child = 15 fir.
1 slave adult = 20 fir.
One mercinary knight = 30 fir.

obviously people can only be bought and not sold, but this would give you something to do with all the resources kicking around in your storehouse that don't seem to get used, for instance those 9 iron bars I had last game which got smelted but I couldn't use I could then have converted into something I needed, like another peasant!

Also, it often seems that bread and wine don't build up half as much a reserve as other resources do for some reason, so trading would also be a good way to alance that, especially if you had lots of lumber or fir.

As regards interface as I said, I'd be in favour of just a menue presenting the items currently in your storehouse (assume the trader comes with his/her own caravan and workers and moves the resources on him/herself), sinse those are obviously what you have spare, and getting your peasants to bring things to the trader would be a litle complicated anyway.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-14 10:46:15 (edited by zkline 2011-07-14 10:51:53)

WHoa, epic win.  Congratulations. 
Dark, forgive me if I'm missing something here, but is more resources a bad thing?  Granted, I like the idea of a df-like trader of some sort perhaps, but still, more resources only seems good in my book.

2011-07-14 11:05:37

It's just zack that the extra resources don't seem to get used. The blacksmith takes so long making a sword and armour, if you've got a metalurgist working you build up quite a ssurplus of iron, ditto with fir, and unless you've got a barrel maker the same goes for lumber.

With the exception of bricks You can't build with these, once in storage they are only available for crafters to use.

So, why not trade them off?

of coursethis might be deliberate because,Aprone may be planning more crafts, ---- I've seen the things for clothing and winter firs for instance.

you might for instance rename the blacksmith to armour, and instead have a blacksmith who creates farm tools that increase your yield from farms, perhaps with the option to make perminant specialized farmers (call them freeholders and give them the yomen title), the way you currently have knights which would also help the bread and wine production shortage.

However, at the moment, you just seem to build up a great many resources and sinse you can't build with them, ---- why not trade them for stuff you do! need.

Btw, I had a rather odd thought looking at hatred's list.

You have grane, you have barrels, you have a bar tender, ----- where's the wisky! ;D.

2011-07-14 11:22:23

Dark, I'm sorry to hear about that run time error.  I wish I could get mine to crash, so I could find out what caused it.  I've actually decided to set the multiplayer code aside while I work on shortening the messages, grouping them so they can be muted, aligning the automatic pauses with the correct messages, and moving injured people into their own group.  It seems that these 4 things are currently the number 1 annoyance for everyone, so I want to get them fixed.

CAE_Jones, congratulations!  What difficulty did you beat it on?  You are correct, the brick, lumber, and hunting will eventually slow down as the land is stripped of natural resources.  The fact that hunting slows down might surprise some people, but hunters can actually only hunt in forests.  Once lumber jacks have thinned out a forest enough to turn it into scattered trees, it is no longer usable by hunters.  This is another difference between hunters and fishermen, since fishermen will never slow down as the game progresses.

grryfindore, make sure your friend extracted the game in to a folder first.  It sounds like he is trying to run the executable from within the zip file.  This would prevent the game from seeing the other, necessary, game files.  Let me know if that doesn't help him.

Hatred, I believe I will put your write up in with the game's read me file.  I've been too lazy to write one myself, and the one you've written seems very thorough.

I've actually considered adding some type of store, market, or trading option.  For the moment I've decided against it, but that's mostly because I don't believe it fits with the current scenario.  Once other game additions come along, it will make more sense for me to add a market for trading.

I've been meaning to ask.  What is everyone's thoughts on the perks and faults?  I originally put them in because I though it would be a fun way to both customize the game experience, and to give people another strategic decision to make.  I haven't really heard much discussion about the perks and fault people use, so I'm wondering if it is really something people care much about.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning to remove them, I just wanted to get people's opinions on it.  Do you think it helps the game, hurts the game, or makes no difference?

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-07-14 11:33:28

i think they have an important roll in the game,
for example you'd have to change your strategy for the different ones.

2011-07-14 12:07:09

Hi Aprone,
Speaking for myself, I like the percs and faults a lot.  It adds depth and challenge to the game, and I like the fact that you can make a different experience depending on the combination you pick.
Best,
Zack.

2011-07-14 12:52:44

Dark, once you have enough materials, just reassign those people to different jobs. Once I knew I wouldn't be needing any more metal, I had all my metal-workers go do other things--sent one to the farms to try and speed up wheat production, sent one to the butcher, sent one to be a carpenter. It actually took a good bit of effort getting the bread and wine production up to the extent that there was enough to put on the ship, but once I got them going, it was just a matter of waiting. I had to reassign a couple hunters during this, though, since my supply of vegetables was dropping pretty quickly after most of the meat had been put on the ship (and I'd moved a couple of my butchers thinking I wouldn't be needing as much meat now that the ship was under construction).

Aprone, I beat it on easy, of course. smile.

I haven't tried switching up the perks and faults much. I started out with flintstone vitamins, green thumbs and I think dogfood. After losing a few times, I decided to try switching out the vitamins for union smasher, but found that the increased illness made the accelerated work less useful than I'd hoped. So then I switched to strong swimmers and tried to focus on keeping my workforce big enough to manage the food.
After seeing that Green Thumbs and dogfood weren't having any apparent negative consequences, I didn't dare change them. I might if I try to play through again.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-14 12:52:54

Hi guys,and aprone
okay. I made her to check and delete the old folder,to unzip it again into a folder,and the same messege appears.
The perks and the falts make the game a little bit more interesting as then you can try different things for different effects.
as for the messeges,in my opinion,I'd like to here where are  those pesents dropping things and all that.as for the other messeges the lumber jack and the farmers I don't mind them really. but I suppose others would,and it'll make a difference when there are like 60 to 50 people working.
Again though,thanks for a awsome game,and hope that you will be able to solve this problem.

Follow me on twitter

2011-07-14 13:53:12

Hi. Your friend needs to get the latest version.

2011-07-14 13:59:47

Dam! my post for this didn't come out, how irritating!

The interface fixes would be appreciated, especially given how many messages you have going on, I'd also appreciate some sort of warning about hunger sinse frequently I don't know things are going wrong until someone drops dead! it'd be nice to get at least a litle advance warning of this. As for trading, as I said, I just found too many resources built up whatever I did. The butcher for instance is great for meet production, but taylers just don't! use that much cloth.

While I agree a markit or similar perminant trade option might be a bit much at this stage, I do think a df style trader who turned up only every so often and offered to trade through a menue would be a worthwhile addition in the game to handle your surplus resources.

I generally always have a building on the go so need a lumberjack and carpenter working away constantly, but this nearly always leaves extra lumber unless i've got a barrel maker and am making wine.

Gryf, wait until you've got a really large population and your peasants are doing all sorts of things like spinning yarn, milling grane, and lots of fetching and carrying, then it gets a bit much.

One rather odd thing I've been wandering recently, which may be another aesthetic change, is who the kids' fathers are? especially when the same woman becomes pregnant three times in very rapid succession ;D.
This might actually have a serious baring on the game if child helper jobs ever make it in, sinse it'd be quite fun if the child actually took on the job of one of their parents, though obviously you'd have to know who the father was for this to work, sinse if the mother became pregnant again the child couldn't really help much with that ;D.

As for perks and faults, I like the system, my problem is it's a litle unbalanced at the moment.

Some perks and faults run all the way through, some just affect the start, and indeed some perks can be problematic like the new one about pregnancy.

Myself, i usually play with union smasher, then either strong bones or green thumb. dogfood seems to do litle at the moment from what I can gather, and while trojan man could be a problem, neither is as bad as all thumbs!

Myself, I'd actually suggest changing the system a litle.

Give the player a "start" catagory as well as a perk and fault, and move strong swimmers, light lunch and strong start in there.

Then, if the player chooses a starting fault like light lunch, let them choose a third perk to balance. So, it would become a choice betwene a strong start and average, or a hard start and better.

Here are some suggestions (actually I thought of loads of these but the forum ate my post annoyingly).

Starting fault: baby on board, begin with two of your population as children.

Starting fault: lost cargo, begin with fewer scattered resources.

Starting fault: riggers of the journey, your population will recieve initial injuries quickly after start.

Starting perk: shelter from the storm, begin with two houses.

Starting perk: I also cook, begin with a tavern.

Starting perk: smuggled goods, begin with more supplies.

Starting perk: hardy, your people won't recieve injuries for a while.

Fault: working up ranks, takes longer to trrain soldiers into knights.

Fault: eternal child, takes longer for children to grow up.

Fault: potatoe weval, vegitables grow more slowly.

Fault: vegitarian, your people will consume more vedge.

Fault: sticking plaster, your doctor requires more cloth to treat injuries.

Fault: motherhood, pregnancy lasts longer.

Perk: fleet footed, everyone moves more quickly.

perk: I'm okay, more lumber production.

perk: landed in france, increased production of bread and wine.

Perk: managerial skills, cloth, barrels and armour is produced more quickly.

Perk: education, your children grow up faster.

Perk: shipwrite, the building requirements for your ship are lower.

perk: environmentalist, natural resources will run out more slowly.

perk: heart of iron, mining and smelting metal will be performed more quickly.

Wow! coming up with these was fun! let me know what you think.

I assume more maps will come later, so things like "more or less resources on map" or more or less free land i'm guessing will come later, ---- as I hope will be the ability to clear scattered treets and rocky soil and make it into freely useable land.

2011-07-14 14:13:38

I was thinking about the fathers two at first. I had an instant where I had three people building a house, and one of them was a woman. As soon as the house was completed, she got pregnant, leading me to believe that the father was one of the other builders (And since one of  the builders was my lead character, I say it was the other one! tongue ).

Oddly, the first child I had born--Genesis was her name!--became a lumberjack almost immediately after coming of age. I assume this was because I accidentally pressed s without noticing at some point, since all of the other children start out as peasants.

I reiterate how much I like the fact that the first child born was named Genesis. smile

I highly doubt there is anything resembling deliberate characterization built into the game, but sometimes it seems like people behave in oddly in-character ways. (This has actually happened in some of my randomized games, so I'm pretty sure it's just an interpretation of the human brain and nothing on the computer's part, but it always amuses me when it happens. smile ). I recall once having an extremely lazy fellow who wouldn't do his job no matter what job I told him to do. At one point I offered him to the goblins to make them leave me alone, but since they can't react to me talking to the computer, they didn't accept. tongue
Another was how I had a knight named Athena, who had a daughter who put in a lot more effort than anyone else into building a guardtower, since I wouldn't let her go fight until that was done.

And I've been hearing weird noises on my carpet today. How do blind people deal with tiny pests, anyway? Killing mosquitoes is not a talent of mine, and the one time I tried to catch a mouse, it snuck right past me and ate half of my bait without me noticing.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-14 14:20:35

I personally love the perks and faults system, and believe it deserves its place in the game, and if you can think of anymore, I'd be ready and willing to try them.  I've yet to try any others than the ones I have stuck with thus far, which are, union smashers and strongbones as perks, and dogfood for a fault, which, doesn't really seem to work or affect anything, though that might be a good thing, because in my last game, my hunter was injured, and though I didn't bother to check what might have happened to her, I can honestly say that I was super glad she started working again.

I never got to beat the game, but I did get way closer.  I had some twelve nights who, at first, were dealing the goblins quite a number of blows.  I'm actually glad I saved my game early on enough to where I could reproduce what I did before, but late enough to where I wouldn't have to do all the work over again, because I got erorr 9 as well, and I'm not really sure how it occured.

right now, though, it's time to go to sleep.  I've had a long one, and there's more to be done with my machine when I awake.

A few things I'd like to add:

I honestly hope that most, if not all of the game system stays the same, because changing it in any direction might make the game either too easy, or too hard.  right now, it seems quite beatable on easy, and I haven't dared to try it on any of the other difficulties.  I think one of the problems with adding sounds is that five or six sounds might play all at once when a tick of time occurs, since so much is going on, and it would be hard to differentiate between all the sounds played at once.

so here's a suggestion: when cycling through the job categories with e and r, allow messages to be presented for whatever category currently has focus, while keeping important messages like illnesses, injuries, pregnancies, deaths, goblin attacks as they are currently displayed.  I'm ot sure if this would work for everyone or not, but I think, that this way, one could retrieve the messages for whatever job they are most interested in while playing the game.  I know that I would probaby have mine set to the peasants more often han not, since they ar ethe ones I generalyl tend to try and stay on top of, owing to their importance in the game.  What does everyone else think?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-07-14 14:35:56 (edited by CAE_Jones 2011-07-14 14:49:27)

Hmm, the option to restrict messages based on jobs does sound interesting. This would leave things just how they are at the "total" setting, I'd imagine?

Something I found myself wanting to do was to clear all of the messages that hadn't come through yet. It seems like one message comes every tick, even if a few dozen of them are referring to events that happened on the same tick. Having dozens of messages come in at once is probably not manageable, but with bigger populations, the backlog of messages can get you minutes behind what's actually happening.

Actually, clearing the messages that are waiting might not be such a good idea. Maybe just being able to pause the game and push out what you've got access to with the numbers so that the next batch can come in all at once would be good, that way you can check quickly for important things without having to wait for the ticks.
Obviously this would have no benefit if you don't have more than ten messages in the queue. Hmm.

Though come to think of it, if multiple people do the same thing on the same tick, it mightn't hurt to combine them into one message. E.G., instead of having a message saying that Frank has dropped off vegetables at the tavern, and another for Mary dropping off vegetables at the tavern, it'd be quicker to say that Frank and Mary dropped off vegetables at the tavern. Although, the idea of coding that kind of hurts to think about...

[edit] A SOV language would be better, wouldn't it? "Frank, at the tavern, vegetables has dropped." Or perhaps "Vegetables, frank has dropped, at the Tavern, yes?"
Of course, if that's the route it takes, I will have to play until I get a Luke to become a knight.[/edit]

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-14 14:58:54

I must confess nocturnus, I don't like the idea of job restricted messages, sinse most of the spam I've seen and the stuff I'd want not spoken is stuff my peasants do, but there are a certain catagory of things peasants do that I would! want spoken.

for instance, I'm not bothered about messages telling me food has been dropped off, or indeed when yarn has been spun or flour ground. however, I'd very much like to keep the messages about when material is dropped off at a building site, sinse it means I can plan my buildings more completely and more easily know what I'm doing.

Also, as a miner interface tweak, I just had someone starve ecause I didn't happen to realize that my cook had just got pregnant and the person starved really quickly. Not only would a starvation warning help considderably with this, but it'd also be nice to be able to check in the mothers catagory what their previous job was, the way that currently other jobs like builders show up as "filling in as a peasant" sinse then I would've known my cook was pregnant.

Actually, sexist though it sounds, I think I'm now going to have to make certain I always have a male cook in future ;d.

2011-07-14 15:43:00 (edited by dwillemv 2011-07-14 15:57:00)

All of these could work, and I like your idea of a bad start with perks vs an average start with disadvantages, though balancing all this out will be hard.

edit: I've noticed an issue with stone masons. If the stone runs out, they are listed as still working, though they get no bricks and they don't switch jobs as instructed.

edit: the stone mason did change jobs in the end, it just took a very very long time.

2011-07-14 15:58:48 (edited by CAE_Jones 2011-07-14 16:02:46)

Dark, I've switched to male cooks for the same reason... I've had games where my female cooks get pregnant constantly!
Though I actually had three cooks assigned at the end of the game I completed, since one was bound to get injured at some point--and indeed two of them managed to get injured in rapid succession! And this was when the messages were way behind the events, so I onlye figured it out by checking by jobs and looking at the cooks directly.

[edit] Oh, and regarding maps, this map system seems fairly easy to randomize (although, not knowing how the code works, that might not be as simple as it seems). A random map would certainly be different in terms of strategy, though I'm not sure if it'd be easier or harder.

Another thing... when I first started, I was thinking Lunimals with random disasters, and deliberately built my storehouse far inland to avoid future storms or giant waves of doom. When I found out those weren't a problem, I started building beach-front property all over the south coast. smile

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-14 16:18:55

hello.
that's what I said if you get far enough in the game it might become a problem.. and I do agree with Nocturnus hope the same even.lol. I'd rather it didn't changed too much.
As for that game not working,its still not working,and its the latest version which isn't. the older ones were working quite nicely. anyone has a older version? I always download and replace the files so sadly I don't have any other old version. if anyone does,and could provide a link to it,it'd be cool.Thanks.Grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2011-07-14 16:32:42

Well I see your meaning about cooks. My cook got injured and the first I knoew was someone starving due to far too many messages, then the doctor! I assigned to fix the cook started working, then she starved! and that was with me playing on slow speed to try not missing messages.

i actually really think some starvation warnings need to happen as well as the message fix.

I also wonder what's wrong with these people that they instantly starve after missing one meal ;D.

Rather than lumber, I'm now constantly waiting on stone, even one lot of bricks seems to take ages to get, though I've not been going for too long.

i will say though I now prefer bread as a third food source than wine, sinse the baker becomes a part time peasant and you don't constantly have to use lumber, ---- also it might be that I'm working with the green thumb perk, but I seem to be building up bread quite quickly as well for a change, though Aprone may have tweaked this.

Difficulty or not of the map I was thinking mostly in terms of amount and spread of available resources as a difficulty factor, though random maps just ofor difference would be fun anyway, especially if more map based features come into the game later. As to desasters, being stomped on by Godzilla or having to fight off giant plagues of locusts or something, ---- well I'm pretty sure those will come ;D.

2011-07-14 18:20:53

Well, I didn't want it to be, but today is Aprone's day to run errands, pay bills, do the dishes, clean up the living room, and mow the lawn day.  This is a preventative measure so that my wife doesn't kill me, and the city doesn't ticket me.  big_smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software