2011-07-12 21:00:25

I actually find it very weerd, the storhouse tavern thing, sinse I always build my tavern on the square next to the storehouse, yet I believe people starved because my two peasants were too lazy to go next door and pick things up!

this might actually be a big balancing issue, sinse while I understand why peasants would need to head out to farms etc to pick up supplies, transporting stuff next door to the tavern and starving for want of walking about 100 meters seems very strange!

I'll look forward to the new version with tougher people, i had to give up that game.

i had 4 people with incurable broken legs, and one with torn skin and one a gaping injury that my doctor refused to do anything about, thus making it nerely impossible to get anything done.

Actually given that textiles are so high up the chain, it makes early injuries nearly impossible to recover from!

I will say wine production wasn't as problematic as I thought, thouh it seemed near impossible to stockpile anything.

I had two vedgitable farms and one vinyard run by four farmers, ---- or 3 when my fourth had to go and suplement for innjured peasants.

while my two hunters steadily increased the meet in the storehouse ahd the vegitables just went up and up, I never! seemed to have any wine at all, as soon as it got to the tavern it got drunk (and no, I didn't take the alcoholic's anonymus fault).

Maybe that was the reason for all the injuries, my workers were so sloshed they couldn't hold an axe or shovel streight ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-12 21:07:47

well i seem to have run out of bricks, where do i get those from?
in desperate need for a vegetable farm!

2011-07-12 21:17:50

Hi Robla,
Bricks are created in a quarry, by a stonemason from nearby rocks.  You'll want to build one of those near stoney ground as soon as possible.
Best,
Zack.

2011-07-12 21:24:45

I forgot that I had saved that last game I mentioned well before the mysterious famine came along. I loaded it again, and sure enough, a couple of the children became peasants only to regress a few ticks later. I didn't reassign people based on that, and instead focused on keeping resources going to the tavern, yet still, after a while, the tavern ran out of food, despite me having plenty of peasants and food for them to bring in.
I didn't save after starting all that mess again, but I could send the file before all the weird disasters happen, if that'd be any help.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-12 21:29:29

I've just posted version 0.3b, and I highly recommend everyone take a minute to download it.  Don't worry, your saved games will still work, even though you'll probably benefit from starting over because of certain changes.

Here are the changes that I can remember making.  Lol, I made many little changes so I might be forgetting some.
- Cooks, Bartenders, and Mothers are far more resistant to illness and injury.
- Everyone else is also more resistant, it just isn't as drastic of a change as I made with the Cooks, Bartenders, and Mothers.
- You begin with more supplies, most importantly, you begin with some cloth now.  This will give you a way to cure some injuries before you have a textile up and running.
- Pregnant women give birth a little sooner, and Children grow up 33 percent faster.
- I fixed the bug that made you restart the game if you were defeated.
- There is a significant change in how the selection feature works.  When you use E, and R, there is now a "Total" listing.  This is selected by default.  This is important when you learn that the normal unit list will now only show you people whose jobs match the one you picked with E, and R!  When you have it set to "Total", things work how you're already used to.
- Holding down Shift, while pressing D, and F, will cycle you through your buildings.
- When people have nothing to do, depending on their job type, they will temporarily to help out with the job that is under theirs.  A carpenter who has no supplies, will take a minute to help out as a lumber jack, for example.  Once they perform their temporary job, they will revert back to the job you originally assigned them.  This should help everyone a lot.

I'm still adding stuff like a mad man!  Please keep the bug reports coming in, and remember that saved games, at the time of a bug, are gold!  It makes things a million times easier for me to find the problem.
I think I just fixed that children reverting but, but it's not in the version 0.3 I just uploaded.

ADDED:

Of course I've just posted version 0.4b, because the last patch had a problem with builders not wanting to go back to being builders after they switched to peasants.  lol.  I've fixed that in 0.4b, plus I believe I've fixed the bug where children turned back ino kids after growing up.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-07-12 22:22:36

It seems that my regression bug stopped showing up in this version even with the same saved game.
This time I'm pretty sure everyone starved because all but one of my farmers got pregnant at the same time. sad
The lesson here is not to make an essential job for just one gender. tongue

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-12 22:26:31

Hi,
Grate game, I like it a lot. However, I got the latest version and while playing, got a run-time error out of nowhere! "Run-time error '5': Invalid Procedure Caller argument".
Not sure what caused it.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2011-07-12 23:11:32

Hi.

Glad to here of the new version, but some strange things seem to be happening.

Firstly, the builders just seem to sit on their collective rears and don't! go an do peasant work when not building, ditto with the doctor, well not according to checking what they're doing anyway, so it's stil necessary to keep switching my pesants around. Perhaps a message for when one job stops doing their own and takes up something else would be helpful?

In fact speaking of the doctor, despite having two injured people, he's stil doing nothing! at all, just standing around being idle. I've got a saved file of this so I'll mail it to you (it's too small to make using sendspace worth while).

I think this might be the same bug Cae reported earlier.

I do really like the interface changes with buildings and with the professions list, much easier to see what is where. However, might I suggest that when someone recieves an injuring making them unable to work, their profession is reclassified as injured, in the same way a woman is reclassified as mother when she becomes pregnant.

This would make it much easier to know what useful members of society you have doing what and how many freeloaders there are.

I'll send the file streight away.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-12 23:21:15

bcs993, please let me know if you experience that error again.  I haven't been able to get it to happen to myself, and no one else has reported it yet.  If it does happen again, try to remember exactly what you were doing when it happened.  That will help me track it down.

Dark, I'm also happy with the design changes, though I have no problems telling you that these new AI changes are trying to kill me!  Haha!  It isn't easy getting the AI completely changed over, since a huge portion of this game is in the automatic AI of your people.  I think most of the jobs are working correctly though, and I'll keep working on those builders and doctors.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-07-12 23:34:20

Well I can understand that modifying this is a nightmare! especially defining all those conditions.

one thing though as I said which would make such changes much easier to track (and make it possible to know if they were working properly), would be some messages notifying when job switches happen, eg Jo the builder is now working as a peasant, or sally the metallergist is now working as a miner.

This also has the advantage that once it's combined with the project complete type messages, some of the carrying x to y messages can be removed without having you stuck for whats going on.

2011-07-12 23:37:17

Hi Aprone
I think it might have happened because I had several construction sites at the same time: more than 2, in fact. I will, however, report if I get it again.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.

2011-07-12 23:55:27

Well, blah at all of you who have managed to get military units going!  Just blah !  Really, blah!

I've been busy for the past few hours trying to figure out Station Playlist Studio in preparation for broadcasting purposes, duh? I have missed immense playing time, and I still have to download the latest version.  Going through the posts though, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who's taken issue with the children, who, as Aprone first told me when I brought them up, are an investment to our future.  As more time went by, I saw them as being a pestering pain in the... You get the point.  Still, the true problem with this game, is that it's so adicting that I never want to leave it for something else!  The first time I played it was when it had no doctors, no illnesses, and a couple of the other jobs didn't work either, and I kid you all not, I was at it for about  7 hours straight.  I'd keep telling myself I'd go to sleep in half an hour, and that half hour would go by and then an hour, so I promised myself I'd go to sleep in five minutes, which turned into another half hour, and so on.  Before I know it, it's something like 7 in the morning, and I've been playing since near midnight.  I need more time for this game, and well, if anyone here has a problem with it, blah at you too! :d

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-07-13 00:00:51

Sorry for double posting, but in the time that it took me to post that last one, there's two more messages that weren't there before.

I've tried having mroe than one construction site, and have gotten no error whatsoever.  What does tend to happen is that the peasants will divide amongst themselves where they carry items to, which is quite useful when you happen to have the union smashers perk active as things tend to go slightly faster and stuff.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-07-13 00:12:11

I just had the runtime error five myself too:

Run-time error '5':
Invalid procedure call or argument
OK

And I can tell just what I did.

I had two fishermen, 2 builders and ten peasants, had just finished the tavern and gone streight on to the storehouse.

Sinse the new version change, the builders seem to start building streight away even when there isn't the correct amount of construction materials at the site (when i was able to check I had 8 bricks and 2 lumber), and the error comes up if your builders somehow manage to finish the building before the peasants can bring enough material for it.

Just as Willum on the audeasy list said in fact.

this may also be tied to the builder ai issue as well.

Btw Nocturnus, well unfortunately I had a worryingly similar experience with the game as yours in terms of time eating.

it's funny sinse generally stratogy games aren't my first choice, me being an exploration freak, but somehow both in this game and in Lunimals Aprone has managed to create something utterly addictive and engaging.

Btw I really! hope children are less annoying now! betwene them and the injured who need cloth to treat when I don't even have a butcher, I've actually wanted a caniblize option in the game ;D.

2011-07-13 00:26:41

Sure!  Why not!  Eat away at those lesser mortals!  Who needs them anyway!

In all seriousness, it seems that hunters and fishermen do most of the work around the community.  They should have badges of honor and they should be respected above everyone else by everyone else in the economy.  I 've yet to run across a hunter who stood still for exceptionally long amounts of time for a good reason, IE, he was hungry, or he got injured.  Even with the dogfood fault, I've yet to see my hunter get injured or mauled by a grizzly, a dingo?  I dunno, but they're quite efficient.

2011-07-13 00:34:42

Something I've noticed is that the "busy status" does not properly get reset since v0.4. There would be a person listed as busy, but no job after his/her name.

2011-07-13 00:41:30

Yep, the dogfood fault doesn't seem to be working currently. Fishermen seem more efficient for meet than hunters, (even without the neptune perk, but then again if ever! you can get a butcher and textile workshop up hunters kills' do different things.

I think the ai change will make a huge difference. I've noticed that with the exception of doctors and builders (Those lazy bumbs!), the people are very diligent, and when there is! work to do they'll generally do it.

thus hunters, soldiers, fishermen, stone masons and lumber jacks,

the problem comes with those jobs which rely on a second source of production. Farmers need to stand around and wait for crops to grow, carpenters need lumber (though usually one lumberjack can keep a single carpenter well stocked), cooks need food etc.

I also noticed though that for some reason blacksmiths are super! lazy, even when provided with ore, and for the brief time I got! a butcher the peasants never delivered any kills to her.

There actually seem to be issues with the priorities of fetching and carrying, though with doctors, builders and other jobs able to chip in with the new ai thing this might well be sorted, sinse obviously the butcher will now be able to go and collect carcases him/herself.

My one concern with the ai changes, is whether it will make lower production chain jobs less valuable, sinse from what I could gather having one lumberjack and one carpenter created a lot! of spare timber, and one miner seemed to mine more ore than a single metallergist could cope with.

I won't know this for certain though until the Ai is fully tested and I can start playing with the jobs to see what happens, though if this does! mean once a miner has mined enough ore to get the metallergist started he/she can go off and do something else useful I for one won't complain sinse man power is always the most valuable resource in the game.

2011-07-13 00:44:00

hmmm Dwillemv, do you ean peasants?

Peasants are! always busy, carting stuff from place to place, in fact if you don't have peasants to get your food from storehouse to tavern you'll starve!

Thus if a peasant is listed as "busy" it's usually because they're doing such a job.

2011-07-13 00:54:04

No, I don't. Sometimes when changing a job, the person would still be listed as busy, meaning the message of "x" is currently busy.... I  know that person isn't busy, because that person was listed as standing around. When I look at the person's job, the new job shows up, but it doesn't mention a job when switching to it and it is still listed as busy. I had this happen to builders, a cook and a bartender, before I quit.

2011-07-13 01:05:29

Hmmm, I've not seen that one, but possibly the ai changes are causing trouble again.

2011-07-13 01:11:49

Hi,
On my last play, I realized something. I don't know weather its just my game, but I had mail builders, who wouldn't do anything, and as soon as I replaced them with femails, they actually kept on working... Quite strange...
And my main guy don't do anything! Not even when I told him to become a hunter.
And about the time, I know I'm gonna sleep now: I got that run-time error again. Maybe when I wake up I might find a complete new game conceddering the rate these games are being devallopt smile
Anyway, thanks a lot Aprone for such a cool game!

Brendan
-----

2011-07-13 02:37:48

Ok guys, as everyone knows, version 0.4b introduced quite a few problems with the buggy builder AI.  I've spent time one it, and I think I've finally fixed it.  Grab version 0.5b and please let me know if things seem fixed.  If you load in an old game, where the builders were already broken, I can't guarantee that this version will fix them, but I do have code in place that will try to.  I want to thank everyone for bearing with this broken AI.  I guess that's one of the possible outcomes, each time I start changing major things to add new features, haha.

Hopefully this AI bug is finally squashed, because I have some really cool things being developed, but I didn't get to spend any time on them today due to this lousy bug.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-07-13 03:07:28

Things work a lot better, but builders can still start building before all the material is there. While this in itself makes sense, I can't see how a building can be 60% done if only 50% of the material is there.

2011-07-13 03:10:15

I am also sorry to report that I just got the runtime error 5 again.

2011-07-13 03:12:59

I think I understand how the builders jump the gun on building. If you tell a working peasant to start building after it is done with delivering materials, it does exactly that. The idle ones wait for the materials.