2011-07-03 18:32:48

Hello everyone!
I am sincerely pleased to be back online, an active part of the community again, hopefully for longer this time and without disappearing all of a sudden like I did in mid March.
And I really have to apologize to Dark and Cx2 with as much regret as I can muster for being away for so long without saying a word even to them! If you can forgive me, I would be glad to do my best to return even in this regard when I have time. It kind of upsets even myself that I tend to react very impulsively and spontaneously to happening events. To cut a long story short, there have been some pretty intense and unpleasant real life changes, both family and personal, that happened in such a long and rapid chain that they really left no time, room and even mental strength and interest in discussing audiogames by means of a virtual forum. I should not succumb to my emotions and circumstances so easily and completely that it makes me disregard the unimportant matters, I know, it can be somehow dangerous and certainly makes me seem rather unreliable to the public if I have some kind of duty or arrangement, like being a co moderator here.
Nevertheless, my situation seems to have stabilized itself now, and as for those things that happened the likes of which I can control to some extend, I have taken certain precautions to make sure that they don't happen again, or at least not so suddenly and unexpectedly, completely overwhelming me for ages. I should be around more or less regularly again, like before, and I really sincerely hope that nothing like this mixture of intertwined occurences happens in the future. If you don't mind, I would prefer not to discuss the affairs here in public, but nevertheless I still hope that it has not ruined my reputation, however small it might have been, completely and entirely, and that I will be able to participate in the goings-on here as actively as I was once able to.
I must have missed lots of news in the audiogaming world since March. I have caught up on some of them, like MOTA, through the site updates the last of which was done on May 27th and through the PCS game list, but I would really appreciate if someone could inform me about whatever you find significant or interesting. I have spotted Temporal, Dog who hates toast and Virtual Brailler because I first connected about two days ago and I checked through the 20 or 30 most recent displayed new topics but I really ain't gonna scroll through 500 or more topics to find every single post I have missed. LOL
thanks a lot in advance, and I am really sorry for my sudden and prolonged disappearance, not only because I have failed to help moderate the forum from spam bots but also and especially because I¨ve always enjoyed these amazing and enriching talks and I feel sorry to have been parted from them, even if they are only virtual. LOL
I'll just try to balance my life better in all aspects from now on, if that makes anything sound better. wink
Best regards,
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-07-03 18:52:27

This belongs in off topic

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2011-07-03 18:57:15

he probbably just wanted to apolagise for being away where ever he could. WEather it's off topic or general game discussion.
Best regards,

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-07-03 19:03:49

hay Lucas good grief!

If we linched people everytime something got in the way of being on the forum, well myself, Cx2, apron and probably lots of other people would be linched too.

Really, the guilt you express in this topic was unnecessary.

yes, it helps if your around and moderating, and we appreciate the work, but at the same time, that work is voluntary, and cannot always coincide with what's going on in the rest of life, which is one reason we don't just rely on one person moderating the forum but have several.

heck, I'm likely to be away myself for some long stretches in August due to a light opera festival, being in a production and! going to music school, but that's just the way things go.

As to what's going on, well there have been lots of developements, and I do confess I've got a litle behind myself in formulating the news, mostly because so much has come up at once.

New game wise there's temporala dnd dog who hates toast from Aprone, also Airik the clerric has been released but thus far won't run correctly on xp machines (though if you have windows 7 you might try it), Cae jones is working on a game involving samurai which I confess I haven't tried yet, there's been a new version of soundmud, there was a new puzle game based on the towers of hanoi puzle released just yesterday, and a new version of damage extreme continues.

There are also several people, visigoth and seal noteably working on new projects, pluss I believe some smaller bgt games have been released.

Actually I'd better now go and write up all this in a news post ;d.

Oh, and yes Sterloc this should be in offtopic hence me moving it, however might I suggest a litle more politeness.

When someone offers a profound appology for being away, responding with a terse "wrong forum" is not particularly considderate.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-03 19:05:48

If you missed Lunimals, it is worth checking out.  I can't remember when I released it.  Oh, and of course, welcome back!

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-07-03 19:07:22

Oooh, I missed that one, silly dark!

Lunimals does however have a database entry, so go and have a look there.

Actually the game is awsome, one of Aprone's best.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-03 19:27:44

hi lucas welcome back. i agree with dark that some things in life could stay in your way and i am glad you're back at the forum.

i repeat welcome back.

i am sorry for my bad english if it isn't correct, it isn't my first language. that's dutch.

ciao

mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2011-07-03 20:12:17

nice to have you back

2011-07-03 21:12:15

As someone who has unfortunately vanished on at least a couple of occasions I can honestly suggest you not worry about it too much. Things happen. I hope any loose ends get themselves sorted out.

I'm not really interested in publicly discussing my own issues either so I completely understand in that regard.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-03 23:29:31

Oh, thanks so much to everyone for all the fast and nice responses. :-)
Maybe I was worrying about it too much, that's just the way I am, I guess, but in any case it was a good experience for the future. There were times when I could have come to have a few minutes of looking around once in a week or two or so, but since I know how busy this forum is, I rather decided against it as I would get even more lost, realize how much I was actually missing, and would thus start feeling even more guilty and stressed about it. :-) I could have contributed a line or two as a fellow user, but trying to actually do anything as a moderator, well, that would have been quite a mess.
Sorry about putting the topic in the wrong forum originally, guess that just shows how much I've forgotten since I last logged in as a moderator those three months ago. Grin I was not sure where to put it myself, and I thought it could go in general game discussion since it was also asking about news on the gaming front, but yeah...
Thanks for the brilliant sumarization, dark! It appears that I knew about everything of this then, perhaps I have not tried everything like airik but I heard about it all. And mota beta 20 is also out, by the way, which restores all the things that had to be temporarily disabled in beta 18 and fixes many bugs and should be about the last beta version before the first release candidate for 1.0. It's quite cool to play the game now, as a matter of fact.
And I love Lunimals and Temporal and insane Aprone too, they're all among Aprone's best games actually. which one is not? :-D
I just wonder about a certain thing in temporal but I will post in the right topic about that. :-) I am only a bit surprised that there seem to be no new posts in that topic for quite some time now. but I just really, totally and entirely love that game, it's just amazing! It would deserve cool high-quality audio and music and voice acting... you always come up with such innovative concepts that some of them were virtually unimaginable to me before! keep up the great work, man!
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-07-04 03:12:05

No need to appologise for your English Mike, it seems fine to me.

I'd just class lunimals as unique sinse it's another new genre of game that's existed in mainstream for quite some time like towers of war, and is now accessible thanks to aprone.

though that being said I've not tried temporal yet myself.

2011-07-04 04:15:38

Hi, and welcome back!
Dark, there are actually 2 things you forgot. Rs games has released Battle ship, and 1000 miles. JUst thought i would point that out. Welcome back again

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2011-07-04 06:17:56

I'm very glad you like the game Lukas, and I will keep an eye open for when you post about the thing you're wondering about.  I figure when you're ready, I'll spot your post in the old temporal topic, haha.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-07-04 08:34:18

Welcome back Lucas. It's awesome to have yu back in the forum again.
I think people have mentioned most news already accept for the topics regarding muds and browser based games. The forum have gone pretty busy at the time which means it's easy to keep up on all what's happening. I think it started back in april. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-07-04 09:26:51

Woopse Briant, thanks for reminding me about rs games, I'll actually have to update their entry on the database too.

Yes, there's been lots of stuff about new muds and people trying different brouser games like torn city, actually the forum is far busier now than it's been in the past, which is good, sinse it shows more people are taking an interest in accessible games, and also that the community is full of energetic people.

2011-07-04 09:40:46

This post seems the perfect time to point out that the amount of posts one happens to make can be misleading.  I may not post for ages, but I do check this site once a day at the very least, unless I happen to be completely involved with some hectic project that is taking up so much time and mind effort that I just can't be bothered with anything else.  the same holds true for the entombed mailing list and most other things that I'm signed up for.  I rarely post, but I'm out here more often than not, and every topic that I post to and or post in reply to is something high on my list of priorities.

If I were to post every time I got out here, you guys would never here the end, and I'd probably get pretty spammy, so I keep it to my LiveJournal and twitter.  Even there, I tend to try and be considerate.  I know I've said this many many times before, but certain things are worth repeating.  this site has helped me out a lot as has its community.  I hope that some day I am able to repay it all in full.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-07-04 10:18:31

hi

i agree with you dark, again, i´ve learned a lot from the forum about new accessible games where i haven´t thought about. when i open a topic within two hours there is a reply with a answer. i know that the forum isn´t my property but it gives my warm feelings in my heart that people help each other so much.

but lucas, i´ve received a game last wek, you can also find it back in the topic `does somebody knows a cool browser game?` i´ve opened this topic to talk about different ssorts of browser games.

you can find: popmundo, cyberairlines and different other sorts. maybe something to try.

ciao

mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2011-07-04 11:15:15

Yeah, I can definitely tell that it's been more busy lately, and it's certainly a good thing! Thanks again for all the understanding remarks and bits of news, I'l check them all out as time permits. :-)
It's precisely that kind of warm feeling from being able to share the gaming and other experiences with other people that makes me appreciate this place so much and keep coming back here. :-)
You're most definitely right about Lunimals, Dark. I wonder if the concept of Temporal has ever appeared in mainstream games at all, or if it has ggotten as widely popular as simulation games - it's so unique that I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that it actually has not. so in a sense it's also pretty unique and worth attention! :-)
Lukas

2011-07-04 15:44:09

Welcome back Lukas. I saw your name simply just scrawling around last week and i thought, where has Lukas been? Its good that your back moderating again or just hanging around.

2011-07-04 15:51:07

A mainstream game like Temporal may exist, but I have never personally seen one.  I wouldn't dare try to post here saying that the Temporal idea is completely unique though, since there are probably a million mainstream games and there is no way I could ever know if something was truly a first of its kind.  With Lunimals it is a different story though.  I can say for certain that the basic Lunimals idea already exists, since it boils down to a simulation game.  While I've never seen a mainstream game that had you balancing an eco system, in the same way, it still falls into the sim genre that applies to many mainstream games.  Lol, and Dog who Hates Toast, is just crazy.  It was such a weird concept, and thrown together so quick, I'm surprised anyone bothered to beat it, haha!

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-07-04 18:29:03

Well that's how unique games come about, interesting ideas, which is a good thing.

As to post count nocturnus, well feel personally (as you'll gather from my x thousand posts), that's not really something I worry about.

One advantage of a forum system i always feel over a mailing list, is that in a forum, you can pretty much post anything you like so long as you obey basic rules such as staying on topic, ie, following the thread of the discussion and don't post spam ie, bits of random annoying letters or something that is just intended to be irritating or insulting.

Short messages are welcome, as are questions or random comments or observations, there really isn't a limit.

Actually having done both (and being in charge of moderating both), I in many ways prefer the forum layout. it's far easier just to read what your interested in, and the rules for discussion and netiquette are less rigorous than on a mailing list, ---- at least they are if your moderator isn't a total nazi (and I have encountered some forums with people like that), simply because the interface and display are much easier for people to filter the discussion.

So, really just post whatever and as much as you'd like, it's not a problem, ---- says the person with verbal diarea and the largest post count in the place ;D.

Actually, I'd like to see some other people get their post counts up, I want to know how many posts it takes before you get a custom title, sinse the feature only got introduced when Cx2 and I had huge amounts of posts.

Anyone with over 1500 posts should probably check their settings to see if they could have one.

in fact I might ask Sander and if the limit is too unattainable, see if he can alter it, sinse imho custom titles make a forum more interesting, and I personally rather enjoy seeing what individualistic things people come up with.

2011-07-04 18:52:56

Hi,
Same with me too. I think I visit the forum once or twice a day, for a long time now, but I rarely post comments. Maybe I'm to shy or something smile
Another reason I think the forum gets more busy is because it's easier to create games, thanks to the BGT tool among others. Even I try work through the help files and dream of creating some games one day...

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2011-07-04 19:57:56

Honestly, i wasn't even aware of the ranking system until i reached advanced audio gamer. I found it rather amusing. Wonder long until i raise rank.

2011-07-04 20:05:44

Yep, it seems like things really come alive whenever a new game gets posted.  People find themselves with something new to chat about.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-07-04 20:43:34

I believe ranks thus far change at 100, 500, 750, 1000, 1500 and 2000, though don't quote me on that, and I'm not sure when you get a custome title at all.