2011-07-01 17:11:50

I think the statement "Apple is really ripping us off", is internationally understood cx2.  Lol, you pay at least 30 to 40 percent more for their products, even when the hardware specs are exactly the same as another system.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-07-01 18:38:34

Its worth it i think when you consider that there products are accessible to us. We as blind people can't just go out and expect every portable device to be accesible no matter the price differences.

2011-07-01 18:46:54

With iPods and iPhones I agree wholeheartedly. With actual computers such as laptops and desktops I disagree that this is acceptable, we can in fact buy a mainstream laptop and install free screen readers such as NVDA. Yes Apple's stuff is accessible right away and is generally more accessible but paying 33% extra on a laptop for that privelige, given that Windows accessibility is still not a major issue, is just plain wrong. Also note that I'm not saying Apple's prices are bad, I'm saying their international pricing policy is wrong given that we're paying the equivalent of $400 more for the *exact* same thing with the *exact* same accessibility just because we're in another country.

Thus I would advise anyone who wants a portable media device to seriously consider Apple, but not anyone who wants a full fledged computer. At least not unless they're living in the United States.

Arq, I would have hoped you'd know me well enough that you would know I am not so arrogant to believe all things should be accessible at the same price. Please look at what the person is saying in more detail and who is saying it before you jump to conclusions that may cause offence.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-01 20:41:01

I think you missread the tone of my post my friend. I intended no argument, just pointing out a different perspective just in case its not clear to some readers. I love apple products but i am a logical person and if i could get a nice laptop for 200 or 300 dollars cheaper than a mac one, i would be the first to jump on it. I never try to argue on this forum or offend anyone. I appolagize if it came across differently.

2011-07-01 20:53:43

Unfortunately written text makes it difficult to judge someone's tone.  I bet a misread statement accounts for half of all of the arguments on the internet, lol!  I've refrained from including my joke about what causes the other half.  I'm patting myself on the back, because I've exercised self control, lol.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-07-01 21:24:58

That is why the internet can be so interesting. People from all over the world have a voriety of oppinions.

2011-07-02 01:30:23

I apologise Arq for misreading your tone.

I have a macbook pro and I love it, however I wouldn't buy another at present. Given that the same macbook pro costs $400 more in the US store than the UK as I stated, that's at the last exchange rate I checked on first of July which was £1 = $1.61 rounded to $1.6 for ease of maths.

iPads I guess are another example where Apple is overcharging on the UK store, $500 on the US store and £400 on the UK which comes out at $640, so I'd be tempted to say get a cheaper netbook with an SSD drive. Even with this excessive converted price iPod Touch and other similar portable devices, and to some extent an iPhone, are still very much the best option. For the same price as a Victor Reader Stream you can get an iPod Touch which is so much better, I wish dearly iOS had been accessible back when I bought my Stream or that the iPad was available when I got my Pac Mate.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-07-02 17:57:43

The iPad prices are indeed rediculous. I can't think of paying 500 dollars for something that can do pretty much the same thing as my ipod touch with the added word processing thrown in there. Its just not worth it at this time. If the price drops in the near future who knows.

2011-07-02 23:02:17

I must admit, i wouldn't pay extra for a mac just! because of access as Cx2 said, sinse even a new pc with a clean install of hal would probably cost at most 800 pounds (Hal's going for 500 at the moment), not a thousand for a mac.

Many things are cheaper in the Us anyway, not just macs, simply because of the economic and monetary situation, for instance over here a large pizza from Pizza hut would cost about 19-27 dollars (betwene twelve and sixteen pounds), just! for the pizza, where as in the states it would be far less.

Then again, when something like a game is sold to both across the net and everyone can pay in dollars, we in the Uk are better off because of the exchange wrate.

nice to here 7 does! have an xp mode, I'll have to remember to buy a copy of windows 7 pro for that reason at the point I need to upgrade.

unfortunately on the upgrade score Cx2 you are right.

that's why i'm fairly certain my next machine whether desktop or laptop will have to have windows 7, I just hope I can find a mode that lets me display things decently without the cruddy ribbons.

In fact with the amount of hatred I've heard just about everyone launch towards ribbons and the new interface, i'm surprised microsoft don't do something about it, ---- maybe the xp mode in 7 pro is an attempt to.

then again, microsoft have never really been known for listening to their customers.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-03 12:41:28

Not sure where the XP mode was mentioned but if it's only in 7 pro that is bad for Jaws users. Jaws still works on a standard/professional scheme with the standard only working on the home versions of windows, so I'd have to either go to NVDA, find a... iffy version of Jaws or pay the upgrade price to Jaws Pro.

On the matter of pricing, it's amusing to hear on the internet that Americans are up in arms about the relatively higher cost of Games Workshop's games and miniatures. They've been doing it to us for years, but of course they never notice until someone does it to them...

cx2
-----

2011-07-03 16:59:01

I hadn't actually heard of Americans complaining about cost, it's rather amusing that the boots' now on the other foot.

Hal at least I know will work with 7 pro, so no problems there for me, though maybe when I finally have to upgrade the xp mode will have made it into other versions of windows, sinse as I said, ribbons are hated very much.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-07-03 19:16:56

All XP mode is, XP based programs running along side windows seven programs. In other turms, XP mode is XP in a VM. I think MS did this because of compadability problems. At least some of the places I saw the ribben, it was ok. Maybe not what I'm used to, but I can use it. I think it is with us for good, for now. There are one or two people that I know like it. Knowing them, that's saying alot because they don't like things being moved around. Of course the only place the may have really saw it was in word. Needless to say, they are not running seven and I still have XP on my desktop.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-07-03 21:20:16

Okay so if ribbons are here for good I'm officially screwed. Well not entirely but I don't want to deal with the buggers any more than absolutely necessary.

cx2
-----

2011-07-03 22:19:26

Now how long will it be before mainstream console games start using ribbons? -_-

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-07-04 00:14:42

How many mainstream console games use a menu bar anyway? I know there might have been odd ones for things like Civilisation in the past when they were ported over way back when, showing my long memory on the PC here laugh, but on the whole I don't think even most mainstream PC games use them let alone mainstream console games.

cx2
-----

2011-07-04 09:23:33

ah, shame xp mode isn't more display based.

I've run into the word ribbons in 2007, and not found them too bad. yes, I'd prefer menues, but usually I can find stuff with a bit of looking though sometimes it takes hunting.

However, it's the desktop layout, programs shortcuts, favourites and the like that I object to being ribbonized, ----- or buggered as Cx2 would probably say ;d.

Where as in word controls like spellcheck, wordcount, format options etc are only things I need very occasionally, (and that's assuming I can't access them through shortcut keys like ctrl o to open a new file), the desktop and general file management on the pc is something I use pretty much all the time, hence my concern over ribbons there, particularly because as I said, I have organized stuff in specific ways using folders in menues and shortcut keys on the desktop for about the last twelve years, and have thus found a layout I'm very happy with.

I'd be interested to know if classic shell works there.

As regards games, well unfortunately most games seem to be moving over to full mouse or pointer support. As I've said, this is what has completely stopped me from getting a wii, sinse my usual menue counting and navigation methods which I've used sinse the atari days will not work, ----- especially sinse the bloody pointer and background are the same colour, you can't sit close to the tv to use it, and the menue items have an irritating habbit of moving around!

While obviously many games on other consoles have more traditional menues, I've seen quite a few others, dragon age for instance, that use a pointer system ala the mouse, and different ways of organizing buttons.

I don't think it'll be long until all games control interface even if not gameplay, will be driven by a moving pointer, and at that point context sensative menues, screwy controls and alsorts of other fun will start coming in too.

As I've said recently on the audeasy list though, this doesn't particularly bother me anymore.

While there are several beatemups I could play on the xbox or ps3 (or at least play apart from some of the nastier 3D adventure modes), I don't want to buy a new console just for perhaps four or 5 playable games, particularly sinse my favourite genre, low vision accessible 2D platformers like Mega man aren't available on such machines.

If I could work a wii I'd consider getting one for wii ware titles like Mega man 9 or 10, but that's not possible either, and I can't really see that this situation will change in the near future.

As it is I'll stick to my snes, Mega drive and gameboy advanced through the gba player on the gamecube, what games I can find second hand, for my console gaming, and look to indi developers and accessible games for new titles to play on the pc or Iphone if I ever get one.

2011-07-04 15:33:56

Things are set to get worse with 8. I gather it is planned to include an alternative mode for use on touch screen devices to try and compete with the iPad, which it can apparently swap to and from. In other words they'll be making windows-based devices like the iPad which work by touch screen when you carry them around and like a normal computer if you plug it into a keyboard and monitor, something that'll no doubt confuse screen readers. Plus it'll include support for ARM processors which will be using an entirely different architecture, any intercompatibility of current "X86" software and the alternative ARM will need to be done using emulation which is a huge can of worms.

Apple did pull off emulation when they moved from the old IBM Power PC chips to Intel chips, but they only had to make the new machines run software designed for the older chips. Windows 8 may have to work it both ways since they're alternatives not a progression. It could well be that we won't be able to use ARM based computers at all for some time, making it that much more difficult to make sure any computer you need to use either at home or at school/work can be made accessible. This will be even harder to make work than the upgrade from 32 to 64 bit.

That's not counting the fact that Microsoft are involved, we all know their track record with backward compatibility even when there is no reason for issues. I dread to think how bad it'll be now it will actually take real work to make 8 backwardly compatible.

cx2
-----

2011-07-04 16:04:00

Well i guess if microsoft becomes inaccessible for some reason. I would be pretty happy to jump to mac. Although i don't think i would have as pleasant of a gaming experience on a mac unfortunatley. Unless of course mota or the likes end up being ported to a mac system.

2011-07-04 16:09:38

Well Intel-based windows PCs, or AMD for that matter which are basically using the same instruction set etc as Intel, should remain accessible.

The problem comes when you're dealing with schools or workplaces who have bought ARM-based computers which may or may not be accessible with Windows. I had heard of a local centre that bought Supernova and asked someone I knew who was blind and a Hal user to look at it to see why it wasn't working. First thing she asked was "It does have a sound card, right?" and their response was "Of course not." If they don't realise that a screen reader needs a sound card, even when it's listed in the software requirements, do you really think they'll be any better making sure they get the right kind of processor?

cx2
-----

2011-07-04 16:39:41

Dark, when it comes to the new trend of moving and pointer based menus, I believe it is only a trend.  Up until fairly recently, in video game terms, menus could only be navigated using arrows because that is the only input method the controllers could produce.  People are trying to incorporate the new motion and aiming controllers, by making the game menus different, new, and exciting.  The harsh reality is, however, that the new methods for navigating menus is slower and more irritating even to the mainstream sighted players.  Game companies are giving this new thing a try, but in the end they will revert back to the time tested, and more efficient, method of arrow keys.  When it comes to menu navigation, the world already had the more efficient method, if only by accident.  It as taken us experimenting with new methods to learn that we had it right to begin with, and I'm quite confident we won't be too proud to admit, we were trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-07-04 18:10:06

See, this is the thing that microsoft is doing with the ribbens imho. The menus worked fine, but in their mind they were freakishly confusing... so they tried fixing it.
This is why I'm switching to mac. I saw vista, and then when I downgraded back to xp and saw seven, I figured this just isn't my thing, Microsoft is just changing things too rapidly and too drastically, while Apple doesn't seem to do those kind of steap changes... if you look at finder in tiger, leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion the interface hadn't changed.  If you look at xp, vista, seven and 8, the ladder 3 each had a major overhall of the interface of Windows Explorer.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-07-04 18:15:38

That soundcard business is hilarious ;D.

Myself, I'm not quite as concerned with what windows 8 may or may not do, in fact I'm rather surprised microsoft are trying to push it onto people when even the upgrade from xp didn't go so well and many people are stil using it.

At my guess, whatever microsoft attempt, most people won't look into another version of windows for a good few years, by which time technology probably will have changed anyway, pluss, I do have enough confidence in the developers at dolphin to at least considder offering support for new in put methods, eg, moving the dolphin curser with a touch pad.

They have done this in the past afterall, indeed I'll freely admit version 4 of Hal was pretty dire on the internet, and it took version 5 and a good few upgrades before that was fixed, ---- which really didn't help dolphin sinse some people got the impression this was Hal's default state.

As to processors, that is however worrying, but as I said I'm not sure we are in a position where we can be certain about any developement microsoft makes whatever they say, ---- look at the managed direct x fiasco, or the "we'll drop support for windows xp by 2010" business (one statement I remember hereing from microsoft a while ago).

I'm not sure about that one aprone, sinse when i phoned nintendo uk and actually asked about the wii menues, if the software was going to be updated with a more traditional arrow control set that I could use, they said not (they were actually very sympathetic, though couldn't actually help sinse all the developedment was done somewhere in japan that even nintendo employees couldn't get access too).

I'm thus not quite as sure as to whether point and click menues are a doomed experiment or not

Besides, there is then the problem which began back in 1994 with the release of the ps1 and has only got worse with time, namely the more 3D games get, the fewer I'm able to play.

Indeed currently, the only modern games I can be certain of are one on one beat em ups, and even in those, the adventure modes are now usually turning into 3D rpgs.

The Wii i would at least have some 2D playable titles, sinse while the majority of actual wii games aren't doable, there are a number of wii ware games which are in older, retro and therefore accessible 2D  style.

portable console devices might be good, as I said the gba and gba player were really a new lease of life for me in the early 2000's, sinse I could get games like metroid, mega man, double dragon advanced, final fight, astro boy and bubble bobble, however with the release of the ds there isn't a way to get the games on a large screen anymore, ---- and the psp's method of tv projection isn't hugely safe or reliable.

thus, whether or not menues are workable seems slightly a moot point at the moment, sinse while back in the Snes days I could play a good 40 or 50 percent of released games and indeed looked forward to new releases like donkey kong country, as soon as things went 3D and spacially over complex that percentage dropped like a stone!

Actually my attempts to play crash bandicoot and mario 64 back when they first came out are some of the most depressing gaming memories I have.

Never mind though, at least people like yourself are stil producing accessible games, and lots of other indi devs are doing retro style stuff, ---- in fact there's a new remake of my ultimately favourite game Turrican in the works just now!

Pluss, as in fact I said in my low vision podcast, indi devs are a lot more reasonable about access changes to games or game engines.

2011-07-04 18:30:02

Sadly that's all true, where it comes to games pushing farther and farther into the 3D aspects which aren't accessible.  It's a terrible shame, but I suppose that's inevitable.  I don't intend for this to sound bad, but no matter what we do, there will always be a limit to what can be made accessible.  Even as we get more and more creative, at the root of the problem, sound simply cannot carry as much information as light.  It's like trying to fit a detailed story onto a single piece of paper, while other authors are allowed to keep adding as many new pages as they wish.  Even if you're a vastly superior writer, and get more and more creative with ways to shorten things, a time will come when the other authors would pass you up.  In this way, it is only natural that the mainstream games will eventually "outgrow" being accessible, because they continue to expand.

This just means, that in the short term, accessible developers will be more important.  Eventually, the only accessible games will be the ones created with accessibility in mind, so you're right Dark, the responsibility will fall upon those developers.  In the long term, we need to find a solution to this information cap that goes along with being blind.  New technologies will hopefully open up new kinds of input, so the gamer can pull in more game information at a time than sound-alone will allow.  Really that is what it all comes down to... the speed at which the game can pump legible data in to the user's brain.  I'm working on the problem, but I'm only 1 man.  lol!

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-07-04 19:06:13

Well aprone, in my assessment of the 3D perspective, I'm afraid I was primarily considdering myself and low vision access, sinse many of the games I play visually would not be accessible without that.

What I have found, is that 2D games (assuming contrast or text issues aren't a problem), are easy to determine with the small amount of visual information I have the identify of my character, landscape features such as ledges and walls, and interactable objects and enemies.

In a 3D game though, the spacial perspective, even when all game objects are visually quite clear, just is too complex for me to cope with, simply because it requires judging of perspective and innumerable other methods, does not use colour as a distinguishing mark, and is not clear in it's spacial relations.

This even goes for first person too.

that's why even though a game like mario 64 (at least on a reasonable console), is bright enough, and well contrasted enough, and even the text would be possible with a faq, when I've tried it i just find myself running up walls, unable to tell which is ledge and which is floor, unable to identify objects correctly etc, even with the bhelp of a faq.

Getting off the low vision discussion though and back to audio games, you are absolutely right about sound being a limited medium.

In audio, you can be very accurate with left and right spacial positioning, and some extra mucking about can show things vertically (imho this is an area where there are stil depths to be explored, sinse many developers simply haven't done as much as I believe to be possible).

however, you can only show a small amount of identifyable sound objects, and only in close proximity to the viewpoint (herepoint?), of the player.

Take a game like packman.

Visually, you can see packman, the entire maze, and all ghosts, dots and power pills at a single glance, and can maintain full status information on where all in game objects are.

audio wise, you have to show things from packman's own perspective, and while you can offer navaids, there is no way to be absolutely and clearly certain of where all objects are constantly.

In the case of packman I personally feel this is an advantage, sinse even though i'm quite able to play visual packman, I actually think it's a far more fun, surprising and challenging game in audio, with far more to explore and far more mental work required on the part of the player.

But this isn't surprising, sinse obviously people stil use audio as a medium of expression in radio precisely because! of this limitation n perspective which allows more imagination, ---- or in the case of an audio game cognitive work, on behalf of the player.

This is however why i believe a tactile display would be such an important tool, sinse it would allow this large assimilation of information, ---- admittedly possibly at a slower wrate.

packman with a tactile display could be virtually the same as visual packman, though probably things would have to move slower.

This is in fact why myself, who (as I've said before), have horribly bad mental mapping skills am able to only play a game like chess or battleships if there is a ful overview representation of the board in front of me, and have had no success at all with audio versions even given the overview involved.

This is I think the main way forward for accessible games, sinse while many games would be beyond it, it could allow a huge amount of access to styles, views and ways of displaying information which thus far have only been visual.

2011-07-04 21:01:22

Ah, Dark, that reminds me.  It's been ages since the topic first came up, but I wanted to let you know I'm still working to develop that inexpensive device for tactile output.  I've hit some electrical snag points, but I was recently directed to the husband of one of my wife's friends, who is an electrical engineer and believes he knows how to fit the part I'm stuck on.  I've been trying to get a hold of him for a few weeks, but when I finally do, my fingers are crossed that great things will happen.

- Aprone
Aprone's software