2011-06-22 18:54:57

I came across this over here on the CANDLESHORE and was wondering how much yall think we will learn in the next hundred years. We did talk about some of what we thought we know on a different topic wich can be found over here. How soon do yall think we will have interplannetary transpertation? What would some of the problems be? I'm shure comunacation will be an issue. there would probibly be solar storms, along with having grav during travel.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-06-22 21:26:23

I think we'll learn more and more at even faster rates, but for the moment there's little will to do much exploration among governments who are the only people with enough money to do it. There's no real incentive for business to explore space, the X prize only works because it's about transporting people and cargo - there's a clear financial return.

As to interplanetary travel, I believe we have the propulsion concepts to do it but of course refinement is always useful. The big catch is that most propulsion technology aside from chemical rockets, which require too much weight of fuel, need large amounts of energy to reach their full potential. I've heard it said that a manned trip to Mars could be done with these drives in about 6 months to get there and back if the ship was given a compact nuclear reactor, they have them as small as a large domestic dustbin/garbage can these days. Unfortunately again nuclear reactors in space get people a little nervous because of the safety implications. Solar power is being used for these drives, they installed one on the international space station for moving away from dangerous debris and keeping its orbit stable which is powered by solar panels, but the thrust isn't enough for fast interplanetary travel. They still need fuel but compared to the space shuttle which takes thousands of tons of fuel, admittedly reaching orbit takes a lot of power all at once which chemical rockets are good for, these magnetic based drives might be able to get to Mars on a ton or so of fuel if even that much.

I did hear a couple days ago on the news they've finished some research on plant growth in space and are designing pods to grow food in space or on the moon, that's another huge factor. One pod was estimated to provide half of an astronaut's calories plus all of their oxygen and drinking water. This obviously means supply pods aren't needed so that makes space travel a lot easier.

Routine interstellar travel'll be a long time coming yet of course, though it will help if we have a colony or something for space travel to get to. It'd be a bit like setting up shipping lanes to North America before it was colonised, native peoples not withstanding.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-06-23 03:32:32

I think the problem comes down to insentive. Which I spelled wrong. sad

Spacetravel costs money and resources, and as it stands takes a long time to prepare for. For it to become viable as more than random pocket-draining bits of research in the eyes of those with the money, those have to be improved and people need a reason to invest in it.

So basically, it comes down to capitalism. sad

Our biggest problems at the moment...

- Cost. Space Tourism is reserved for the super-rich.
- The planning involved. We're in an age where people are becoming less and less patient, but operations off of the Earth still take months to prepare under the best of circumstances. Years is the more common timeframe.
- Public interest seems to be struggling to keep up, unless there's been a big change recently that I haven't noticed (which is easily possible).
- What are our goals in space? There could well be several, but most of them seem to be extremely long-term. Keep in mind that long-term plans are usually subject to changing governments, who are the ones that fund these things, so a lot of projects will die or drag.
- We have three technical issues (in general; each has its own huge set of components):
-- Speed. How long does it take to get to anywhere worth going?
-- Safety.
-- Getting a system that can take human use. Sending robots to Mars and sending astronaughts to a spacestation differ considerably from manned space exploration or colonization.

Things really need to speed up, but cautiously.
Really, the best way would probably be to fight capitalism with capitalism, and take out a giant ad campaigne to pump up public interest. That should help with funding, speed and project development. Granted, if that winds up rushed it could lead to some disasters that could cripple such efforts.

Hmm. I'm going to try to think of a less cynical post next time.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-23 18:40:09

Hi,
I believe that some sort of space mission will occur in the next hundred years, but I do wonder how much we'll learn.
indeed, safety is very important, cost, everything else everyone has said.
To me, the idea of going into space is facinating. I know this is going to branch out the topic slightly, but I did come rather close to riding in a rocket, as I have been lucky enough to have been to Florida, to Epcot in Disney World and to have ridden Mission Space, complete with a shoulder harnice and g-forces. The experience was around 4 minutes flite time, but takes a total of around 20 minutes once you're in the pre-show room.
If you ever get the chance to go there, this is unmissable, make sure you ride the "full throttle" version for the shoulder restraints and g's.
One place I'd love to go to is the kenidy space center, I'm actually wondering what sorts of experiences they have there.
Sorry for branching out the topic, but this post, for some reason, reminded me of that experience.

2011-06-24 17:46:39

Call me a pessimist, but while a few years ago i would've said space travel was likely, with the current international situation where those making major decisions are governments motivated by equal parts paranoyer and keeping the mega corperations happy, i don't see space travel as a possibility, however technically viable it is.

As has been said, it's a huge investement and the capitalist fatcats won't invest without getting something back.

don't forget all the major strides made back in the 60's ad 70's basically came down to the us and ussr one upping each oher, ---- oooh, so russia hs the first man orbit the planet eh? well lets put someone on the moon, ---- that'll sho'em!

Unless there is either A, an overriding capitalist concern to setup a perminant pressence on other worlds, or B, an iternational cooperation for purposes such as colonization, I don't see things progressing.

that being said, I'm fairly certain the international and economi situation we currently have is not really a tennable one, and if something does not change we'll see either a major war, or or a serious crash in the next 15-20 years, and after such a crash pressures will be different and then space travel will be a more viaable option.

In a timeline I created for a story I'm in the process of writing, I have a large crash occurring in 2021, after which point a more cooperative body is setup, not to replace international governments or coorperate power, but simply to act as a general overall watchdog, and this then causes the establishment of a small luna settlement in the mid 21st century sinse it is under the auspis of the uniting body who have the power to enforce various groups to provide funding for it.

Admittedly this then falls apart when the world is invaded by aliens in 2089, which also causes a return to factonalism and a generally nasty period after lasting for the next couple of hundred years, but up until that point things were going relatively well ;D.

Btw, on the orbit angle, one idea I've always liked, though it would require huge amounts of cooperative work, is Fredrich pohl's suggestion of launch loops, effectively very large roler coster type affairs that basically slingshot capsules into orbit, using momentum to build up speed and reduce the need for solid rockit fuel.

After reaching orbit capsules were then picked up and taken where they needed to go.

On another tack, actually a far more likely possibility I see before space travel is more exploitation of the seabed, sinse we know what'sdown tere, there's lots of room and lots of untapped resources, and the cost would be far less, ----- heck, even now the sea is drilled for oil.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-06-24 18:22:26

If we could convince a board billionaire to invest in a space program...
But convincing billionaires they have anything to gain for parting with money takes some serious skill that ... well... I don't have.

Aaron: Ah, I was trying to remember what I dreamed about last night--turns out I had a dream about riding Mission Space (I've ridden it once, but I don't remember when... shortly after it opened, I think?).
Actually, after riding spaceshot at the space center in Alabama (I went to spacecamp at the end of sixth grade), I became rather reluctant to ride the sort of themepark rides that consist solely of vertical motion at high speeds.
Also, in the ground mission on Mars simulation, I found a hexbolt and a spiderweb in the side of a rock. big_smile

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-25 10:19:26

Well the theoretical space elevator would make things a lot easier but that's a massive project in itself.

On the other hand there are things we can usefully do in orbit. It's known that crystals grow in different manners in micro gravity so that leads to possible new materials, especially if the same concept can extend beyond crystals in some fashion. That's space factories right there. I also wonder if it might not be possible to launch a supply pod like to the international space station with materials and build satellites in orbit rather than on earth, or have people in orbit to fix satellites so they can keep working longer maybe even upgrading older ones.

Dark is quite right about the motivation though. NASA had plans to set up a base on the moon and move onward to Mars, but the politicians saw the Soviets gave up on space and pulled the plug.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-06-25 16:37:24

Well christals is an intersting point, in fact an sf series I'm reading currently had the idea of translight communication working by sympathetic vibrations betwene identically grown crystals on an atomic level, though again, there would need to be the massive investement even to get to orbit to provide basis for such research to even start, though sattelite maintanance and manufacture in orbit is probably a more likely corperate developement, sinse effectively it's stil tied to earth and not really about exploraion.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-06-26 17:43:06

Sympathetic vibration between identically produced crystals is a little oogie boogie for me lol. I was thinking more for new materials. As examples it might lead to stronger but lighter materials to make things out of, better lenses, better materials for fibre-optic cables, that kind of thing. Heck it might even find a way to make something better than the current material used for circuit boards, if you're ever seen a computer board or card you'll know the stuff I mean.

cx2
-----

2011-06-26 19:34:53

The space program gave us graphite pencils, diapers and silly putty. More not-so-obviously-space-related things like that would be interesting. smile

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-26 20:10:16

Very true. My votes would go to:
- water purification
-Air purification and filtration
- compact and practical ways to recycle plant matter such as roots, skins, etc.
- easier ways to grow your own vegetables

Imagine having your own little hydroponic greenhouse in your garden? And then using the bits you don't eat in a recycling unit to speed up the process of turning it into fertiliser for the vegetables themselves?

Or even better, screw loft insulation just put a vegetable patch up there! Plus catch rain water...

I know it sounds a bit old folky but it isn't, these systems would need to be low maintenance to be practical in space. Plus it'll save you the hassle of going to the shops all the time.

cx2
-----

2011-06-27 12:40:10

I'm afraid I'm less convinced any of those developements would get down to a public level where individuals would use them.

What would be more likely is that such methods of food production would be bought out by some fat cat company who then use it to increase their prophits, without much of the bennifit coming to the customer sinse they'd stil be charging the same prices even if the cost of production dropped.

If we're talking about orbital researchand production, I personally would like to see more energy generation, sinse afterall a solar panel could be a lot more efficient outside earth's atmosphere.

Take for instance the idea of satellites for communication that required no batteries, fuel or anything else to run but could pretty much keep themselves going perminantly except for mechanical failures, ditto with orbital factories.

the only issue I really see in terms of production in orbit is getting stuff too and from the factory, sinse it's not particularly viable to have a factory that costs you a huge reserve in rockit fuel to get anything from, and once again, unless some sort of space elivator or launch loop system is developed I don't see this as too likely.

2011-06-27 17:44:25

Well I did some research and apparently there are already home systems for hydroponics, it just needs refining further. You make a good point about solar in general since research into that is a very good thing, though I can't ever really see a time when satellites don't need fuel. They need fuel to keep themselves in position in the event that their orbit is off by the tiniest fraction of a degree, and as you probably already know the tiniest fraction of a degree in space can be disastrous. Smaller satellites could probably get away with a cylinder of compressed gas or something but for an orbital factory that's somewhat more awkward, especially given they might need to move it out of the way of orbiting rubbish.

That's one thing that definitely needs to be taken care of, clearing up all that debris and general detritus in orbit that we've left there over the last 50 years or so.

cx2
-----

2011-06-27 18:37:46

OK. let me throw a munkey rinch in to this. Do yall think we will ever start using solar sails. I was listen the the solar clip which can be found on Podiobooks.com and the main way that they got their ships to move was by solar sails. also, how about creating wormholes to go threw? how hard would wormhole creation be? I know that in Babylon 5 and star wars, they use hyper space to go long distences. can any of these things come in to being and how will it take shape? Is all this to far off? I can think of one reason why people may wish to leave earth. that reason may be to many people and not enough resources.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-06-27 21:31:24

Solar sails have one fatal flaw, they only work when you're trying to head away from a particular star and the further away you get the less effective they are. Terrestrial sails can act like an aerofoil to head into the wind, solar sails can't do that. They're also unbelievably slow to accelerate. I've heard a theory that they could use a laser to push a solar sail but that's only useful between two fixed points really. Solar sails also make the ship pretty much unsuitable for landing on or taking off from a planet, it'd be very difficult to land on the moon even with having to fold up the sail but you really do need very powerful engines to overcome gravity on earth plus the ability to stand the heat of reentry.

Wormholes or hyperspace might be possible but it's way, way beyond us right now. I heard it said that even if we knew how to open a wormhole it'd take more energy than the whole earth produces just to open the tiniest wormhole.

cx2
-----

2011-07-03 00:14:42

glad you found the solar clipper series Cw, it's awsome, in fact I like all of Nathan Lowel's work, and for anyone who wants to read it either look him up on www.podiobooks.com or Go here for his own site

Or, check out my media favourites in Klango, I've subscribed to his podcast there too.

getting back to space though, remember in the solar clipper series, firstly the ships never actually land on any planet, the most they do is dock with orbital stations on various worlds, and people need to get faster orbital shuttles to get to those.

Second, remember the solar sale ships there don't use their sales all the time. They stil have a fuel engine used either when they're getting up to speed or desellerating, and the sales are only used to maintain their speed once they're going fast enough.

We don't yet have that strong an engine or fuel, sinse as Cx2 said, you just couldn't work by solar sales alone.

Another interesting point is that in that series the sales themselves are not physical solar pannels, but specially generated force fields which are far more light sensative.

Unfortunately, all of these require technical developements that are thus far beyond us.

As to getting off earth, well I for one would appreciate it just to see new planets, though as I said given economics I'm doubtful whether it will happen or not.

As to orbital clean up Cx2, actually I saw an anime on that premise at one stage, it was rather fun seeing the adventures of the space dustbin men, ;D.

----- oh btw, that's garbage men to everyone in the us.q

2011-07-03 01:07:01

The thing I found kind of strange is why they deployed the sails in "the solar clipper" when sailing in to a system. Anyway, do yall thing we ever get ships  like that in "2001: a space odecy" or "The Mote in God's Eye" before we get ships with solar sails of any kind or will we never try to use solar sails? I don't expect man kind to go all that far from earth any time in the near feuture. The money or tech will have to be there first which from what yall talk like, that might not happon any time soon.

DropBox Referral

2011-07-03 01:29:11

Well, the ships in space odisy were based on the idea of developing cold fusion, ie, nuclear reactions that are safe and create no nasty waste or side effects.

Theoretically this is possible and would generate free, unlimited energy, and thus lead to the ships of 2001.

I have heard some nasty rumours that shell and other oil companies have bought out quite a bit of research into that area, though how true it is I'm not sure, however when the oil starts to run short and the price goes up we'll see.

As to solar sales, it's a while sinse I read the solar clipper series, but I believe they were used coming into system to desellerate, so that the ship stopped at the wrong place.

of course, this presumes the ship can get up to a fast enough speed in the first place.

As to whether we'll ever have ships like that, again, I'm not sure.

I'm fairly certain space travel will occur at some point in human history, but not until we have our economic and planetary situation more under control, which may not happen for another couple of hundred years.

then again, some developement happen quickly, look at the 19th century, going from nothing to steam trains electric lights and primative motor cars in scarcely 100 years.

2011-07-03 12:35:47

There is a point of view that says if we wait until we have our political and economic situation under control on earth we'll be waiting forever because there'll always be something "more important" coming up.

As to fusion, I'm not convinced about the buy out. Even if those scientists could be bought there's the fact that we just haven't managed a sustained fusion reaction, and cold fusion if possible would be way further along than hot fusion. They've built fusion reactors for research purposes they're just in the process of figuring out how to make them viable, they barely produce as much as much energy as they require to keep going. That's in addition to the slight issue that the fuel has been vapourising before it gets into the fusion reaction itself of course.

I can't help personally thinking solar sails are a dead end, though I could always be wrong. They seem like too much complexity anhd effort for too little benefit. You'd probably be better off sticking a small nuclear reactor in a ship and putting a giant LED torch/flashlight on the back, which would technically give the ship some small amount of propulsion.

cx2
-----

2011-07-03 16:55:11

As I said, the solar clipper series didn't use sales as propultion generally, but as a way of sustaining momentum once the ship got moving, sinse in space a litle momentum goes a long way. Obviously though, we would need to get ships moving first.

When I say the economic situation "sorted out" I don't mean completely, just enough to provide the impetus to get going.

In Ciesar's diary, there's actually a note that steam can push objects and some observations of the griek philosopher heroditus who built a steam engine, however they were never taken further simply because there was no need to develope steem power in an empire where you already had thousands of slaves to do the job anyway.

That's the sort of thing I mean.

Space exploration would take far more resources and work than one single company, or even nation could perform, thus until there is a larger group with a more united purpose, or at least a bit more cooperation betwene large parts of the world, there simply will not be the resources to even begin thinking about space exploration.

Of course as I said, this is accepting some sort of discovery in the future, rather the way Anastetics were discovered entirely by chance and yet have completely changed the idea of surgery as compared to what it was 150 years ago.

2011-07-03 21:28:45

As a small note as you probably already know there is no need to sustain momentum in space really, drag is next to non-existent. Also once you get to even the outer reaches of a system solar sails become almost useless, and likely won't be able to do much of anything when in interstellar space.

I think it might become a lot easier to get space exploration organised if or when orbital space flight becomes routine. Being able to take the materials up into space and assemble them in orbit into the ship would make things a heck of a lot easier, and would make it practical to create a much bigger ship if it could be launched in parts. Even the international space station wasn't intended to be launched in one huge piece and we'd need at least that level of space and capability for a manned mission, even an unmanned mission would benefit from the simplicity that process brings.

Of course if anyone makes an orbital spacedock in the shape of a giant hollow mushroom ala Star Trek they should of course be shot immediately. Or maybe have said giant mushroom inserted in interesting ways.

cx2
-----

2011-07-04 09:07:05

Well I will confess that part of the reason in my thousand year future timeline for human space exploration moving forward is that after the alien invasion in 2089, there is a second satellite orbiting earth with it's own artificial atmosphere, which makes it far easier to construct things in orbit and thus reach mars and other worlds.

of course, earth also has the advantage of canibalizing alien tech as well, though it's actually the citizens of Luna and the new satellite that do most of the actual work there sinse earth is pretty much in a mess at that stage, ----- and it's stil only 500 years later with the help of another group of aliens (friendly this time), that ftl travel is discovered, though all the intersystem politics in that period is rather convoluted and rather nasty.

I stil have to finish the last 500 years betwene 2442 and 3025 ;D.

Getting back to reality though, I agree on sub orbital flight, though given the amount of fossel fuel even conventional aircraft take up, I'm not convinced this will be a viable and common place option untl a reasonable alternative to oil based propultion has turned up, sinse even at the current wrate we're likely to run out of oil within at most the next 50 or 60 years.

Indeed, one quite serious academic artical I read actually said that once the fossel fuels ran out everything would go back to barbarismk, and general technology would be set back at least 200 years, though it failed to take into account the fact that running out of oil wouldn't happen over night, and by the time it became less cost effective to drill for, alternatives would be cheaper.

either way though, given the amount of fuel required to get into orbit, I can't imagine it being common place until we have something more efficient and cost effective than we do now.

2011-07-04 15:44:04

I think you're mixing up orbital flight with sub-orbital, sub-orbital is where you just poke your ship out of the atmosphere long enough to avoid most of the annoying drag and get somewhere else on the Earth faster. Orbital flight is getting to full orbit and back. That said no amount of oil will help you get to orbit, rocket fuel is made purely of hydrogen and oxygen so no fossils used in the actual launch... though they might be used to power the equipment that makes the hydrogen and oxygen.

I know it is possible to make artificial fossil fuels, it just requires a horrendous amount of power. The US Navy was looking into it for their carriers which have ridiculous amounts of power left over from their multiple nuclear reactors, even then they were only looking at making enough jet fuel so that it didn't require resupply as often and not making themselves completely independent of fuel supplies.

My biggest worry with the lack of oil is the difficulty in producing plastic for electrical insulation. We can run cars on batteries or hydrogen fuel cells, or biofuels if it comes to that, and there have been some companies introducing biofuel for airliner jet engines but it isn't much help if you can't insulate the wires from the batteries that start the engines up.

cx2
-----

2011-07-04 18:40:49

Ah, fair enough on rockit fuel, I didn't realize it's generation required so few natural resources. Sinse plastics are simply various combinations of carbon and hydrogen with a few trace elements, I've actually heard about a lot of research into synthetic plastics creation using various natural materials and techniques of chemical bonding, so I'm less certain that will be such a major concern in future as simply switching over to different forms of power production.

yes, we have them now, but whether the coorporate fatcats will be able to plan things efficiently enough to alter their production methods I'm not certain.

That's why my timeline predicts the major crash in 2022, which is basically caused by a combination of the rising price of oil, the capitalist everyone for themselves atitude, and people's overall paranoyer.

The problem I can see as far as the orbital arguement goes, is suborbital flight really won't make much difference to space exploration, sinse as you said, anything would need constructing in orbit, and simply using whatever method for suborbital flight wouldn't make half as much difference to actually getting things up there or doing enough manipulation in orbit to actually create something useful such as a spacestation.

2011-07-04 21:26:09

Which is why I specifically said orbital space flight not sub-orbital when I mentioned it originally. The current X prize nonsense with virgin galactic and them lot are mostly sub-orbital and long term aren't much use, they can probably drop off a satellite in orbit while they're up there but they certainly couldn't deliver materials to an orbiting facility. What we really need for the future is a cargo-oriented space craft which is both reusable and can make full orbit.

I know some algae produce hydrogen, perhaps pods of these could be used to help power space installations in the future. I know the space shuttle used something similar to a hydrogen fuel cell which converted hydrogen and oxygen into electricity and gave off only water as a byproduct, more water than the shuttle needed so if they were visiting the international space station they'd often dump a load of its water back into the ISS to keep them topped up before they returned home. This water could then be recycled through the algae again, which use sunlight to produce the hydrogen, and keep it going around. I wonder if that might be more efficient than solar. It'd certainly be easier to store the hydrogen for later use if you needed a lot of power for something than it would with simply piping solar power into a battery.

cx2
-----