2006-03-10 12:38:39

I may be the bearer of bad news. I mean absolutely no disrespect by any of what I'm about to say, am simply stating a fact.

Montezuma's Revenge is not an original game. It's actually a remake of a classic ColecoVision game of the same name...practically the same game, just with an audio interface instead. And I believe that the name of the hero changed. It was Panama Jack in the original and is now Colorado Smith or something.
I found this out inadvertently when browsing www.gamefaqs.com
If you go to that site, you'll see a top 10 list (Top 10 games for the ColecoVision, in fact), and it's number 1 on that reviewer's list. Three kinds of doors, skulls, snakes, other traps...

Now, just for the sake of argument, I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AGAINST such an idea. However, it appears to me that folks have been trying to tout Monty as an original game, and by what I've seen, it unfortunately isn't.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2006-03-10 15:34:27

You are slow.  He says it's a remake in the documentation, and sites the original character's name as "Panama Joe."  Haha slowy.

James

2006-03-10 17:15:53

THAT IS EXACTLY RIGHT.
HE SAYS IT IN THE DOC. AND THE GAME'S QUITE GOOD, AND I THINK usa GAMES MIGHT DO A BETTER JOB OF IT (NO OFFENSE TO JAMES NORTH)

2006-03-10 18:47:17

Hello!
What does the original montezumas revenge sound like?
Does it sound like our monty?

/kristoffer

2006-03-10 19:31:05

Okay. Good good. As long as he's got that covered. No problems there, then.
No. The original Monty doesn't at all sound like this. They didn't have the technology in the 80s like that.
*smiles* Glad to see things are in good shape.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2006-03-11 01:15:04

Jade's right again. The atari systems were horrible. They sounded like... well, picture a screwed up version of mk1 at around 8000 hz.

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-03-11 13:18:30

i dont get what you mean.
well i've heard pacman, galaxian and some other sounds, but not the old monty. and what would mk1 sound like at 1000 khz?

2006-03-11 18:38:34

He said 8,000 hertz I believe, 8 kilohertz. It's like resolution for sounds.

I can't really comment since my experience on Atari systems was with the ST, and not the Atari console. The sound on that wasn't too bad, of course nothing like today's games... either audio or mainstream. It would also probably sound very different anyway, since the sounds would be copyright still and all the other reasons around.

Risky business in my opinion, apparently games companies... at least their association type organisations... apparently still chase up copyright cases, even where no profit is made for them. The deal's apparently that they can lose the right to enforce their intellectual property if they don't enforce it, so they follow it up even for games that are years out of use just in case they want the IP later.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-03-12 15:55:24

I personally think Atari sound is some of if not the most memorable sound in gaming history. Then again I did grow up with it, so naturally I'd have a soft spot for it. In fact I still own a working 2600 model and play it to this very day. Judging by what I've heard of the old Coleco (I don't even know if I spelled that right), the old Monty would have sounded on slightly better than Atari. I think they came out at about the same time. Indeed, there was an old add-on not unlike the Super Game Boy for the Super NES, that would allow you to play Atari games on the old Coleco.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-03-12 21:19:15

Well, maybe I was exagerating. Still, the music sounded strange. It sounded too digital.

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-03-13 00:38:42

Again, you have to remember that the technology in those days was far less sophisticated than it is now, so of course it would sound fake.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!