2011-06-12 00:17:03

Hi,
I've heard some reviews of voice over screne reader with Iphones and Ipods but I was wondering how accesible Ipod tutches are because i'm thinking of getting one. But i'll only get one if I know it's accesible because I obviously don't want to waste 200 pounds on something I can't use lol.
Help would be apreciatesd,
Best regards
Lauren

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-12 11:42:31

The ipod touch is accessible. There is voiceover in it. You have only to activate it, by itunes or by going in impostation, general, accessibility, voiceover. I have it and is excellent!

2011-06-12 13:33:54

Thanks so much smile Can you get any accesible games or apps for it?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-12 14:13:40

Yes you can. it depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to learn the app. Applevis is a good site to check out and the lioncourt is another good site for beginners.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-06-12 16:25:53

cw, I know this is terribly off-topic, but is your signature about Lord of the Rings?  I'm pretty sure it isn't, but it seems to follow along with major themes and events in the trilogy rather well, lol.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-06-12 16:43:00

Hi,
The iPod touch is very accessible. I got mine on june 4, 2011, my birthday, and have not put the thing down, in fact, I've actually used it even more than I'd imagined, and I knew that I'd be using it a lot but, seriously, this morning I was previewing stuff from the iTunes store and purchased my first album with no help, not to mention I've been purchasing apps through the pc a lot, but now purchasing through the device itself? It's crazy! It's absalutely briliant genius. I know, this might sound really biased, but, honestly, it's hard not to be. It's n experience worth having.
Lastly, I'd like to give you some idea of what apps are out there:
Choice of Broadsides:  a completely text-based navy game that takes around an hour on the first playthrough. The game opens in a battle scene, a nd goes from there, but it will have you play a character and, well, the gameplay is in the title: it's about choices. The choices, however, really effect the story, and it's got a lot of replay value because of it. Free app.
Papa Sangre: This is an audio adventure game set in the kingdom of the dead, but is not entirely violent. In fact, the only violent thing about it is if the enemies catch you, but you don't have to battle them or anything, the idea is to find items and navigate around hazards, and the audio design is really immersive. Paid app.
Inception the app: This is directly based on the film but does not contain any spoilers. Basically it uses what's known as augmented sound to create dreamscapes. Plug in a headset for this one. There is an unlabeled button but it doesn't seem to do anything, but the rest of the app seems accessible. Depending on what you do will depend on what the app will do. For instance, if you are still it'll put the app into a state where a rather dramatic piece of music plays and things spin around you and such. If you are in a very quiet room (and I do mean extremely! quiet), another dreamscape will occur. If you start moving, shaking the device around, or whatever, the app will go into an action style dream.
There are many others too, a lot of which I haven't unlocked yet, one of which seems rather hard, the affrica dream, means you literally have to be in affrica to unlock it.
Then there's the very rair thing... if you get the chance, don't forget to take a leap of faith to leave the dreamworld. When you do this I actually don't know, but you actually have to jump at a certain time, when the

2011-06-12 22:04:43

thanks so mutch for the advice. I've decided to get one lol.
I've also heard of a game called smack me which sounds cool too. smile

2011-06-13 08:37:37

If you're buying new then I have to agree the accessibility is exceptional, you'll need to use iTunes to activate it and you can turn on voice over through that as well.

As to games I'll throw in the Nightjar, made by the same people as Papa Sangré. They're both survival horror games but where Papa Sangré is more fantasy/supernatural the Nightjar is more sci fi, in the vein of Doctor Who. The Nightjar is free so you can use it as a demo for Papa Sangré as well since they both have the exact same controls.

There is also the puzzle game Stem Stumper which is okay, I'm not a huge puzzle fan myself but if you like tetris or minesweeper type stuff then try it.

I'll also mention as a handy utility MacDice. No Mac needed, why they called it Mac Dice and not something like iDice I've no idea but it's pretty accessible. Like most of the paid games it only costs a couple of pounds if that.

If you plan to input a lot of text the on screen keyboard can be a bit fiddly but otherwise I've had no problems. Remember that you can lock the screen orientation to stop it swapping between landscape and portrait, which it normally does automatically when you turn the device.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-06-13 08:39:45

thanks cx2 I'll order it later lol smile

2011-06-13 16:53:25

When I got my IPod touch back in dec of 2009 I too found that I used it alot. It does make a more portable internet radio then my PACMate. As for my sig Aprone, I got it out of The Fellowship Of The Ring. This reminds me, I haven't listened to lord of the rings in awhile, and I think I have the bbc version of it in dromatized audio wich will sound good on the IPod touch with some in ear things I have.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-06-13 18:25:00 (edited by aaron 2011-06-13 18:27:33)

Hi all, and cx2,
The reason I didn't mention the nightjar is because it's a uk only app, for now at least.
Also, I have news regarding Inception.
This could be a slight
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
p
a
c
e
I very nearly took the leap of faith! It's really hard though, I can't quite get it right. What you have to do is keep the app in one dreamstate (use the still dream, it's easiest) for about five minutes. The sound will change and you have to wait, there'll suddenly be the sound of a passing train. It seems to be that it's then you take the leap to get out of the dreamworld, and it's ment to be cooler than simply using the eject button.

2011-06-13 19:41:16

sounds cool. i'll try doing it when I get my ipod

2011-06-14 04:52:58

Hi,
The best thing about this kind of device is that it is not the only device running under IOS. That means if you ever want an iPhone or iPad, you'll already know the basic interface. Sure there are some differences, but all in all it's the same operating system, same VoiceOver, etc.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-06-15 09:03:52

yeah that's good so later in life I can get an ipad when thery're a bit cheaper lol.

2011-06-15 20:50:03

hey,
what about ipod nano or shuffle? are they accessible?

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-06-15 22:13:42 (edited by lauren.downie96 2011-07-23 11:59:33)

they probbably are because they're not tutch ones. The only thing is I don't know if they have voice over so you might have to memorise the buttons and positions. But other than that I think they're accesible

2011-06-15 22:33:15

Aaron:
I understand that, the reason I did mention the Nightjar is Lauren's "from" is set to Scarborough wink

Bucklee:
I gather there is another form of Voice Over for the other iPods. Try looking up info at www.apple.com/accessibility, I believe all current iPods apart from the classic line can provide spoken feedback.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-06-15 22:54:20

Its the same voiceover. I know because i have a nanno. Personally, i am kind of looking in to an iPad.

2011-06-15 23:02:45 (edited by lauren.downie96 2011-07-23 12:02:22)

smile. I'm hoping to  get my Ipod in july for my birthday or for christmas. smile

2011-06-16 10:26:49

so nano has buttons instead of touchscreen?

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-06-16 10:52:31

Yep. A click wheel and center button just like the old ipods. Just smaller

2011-06-16 14:10:26

sounds good for starters like me.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-06-16 16:20:02

the latest nanno uses a touch screen, but it only has four Icons per screen for the most part. The fourth and fift gen nanno uses hardware buttons and has spoken feedback once it's enabled.

DropBox Referral

2011-06-16 20:28:09

what about sixth generation?

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-06-17 08:26:34

To quote CW:
the latest nanno uses a touch screen, but it only has four Icons per screen for the most part.

That's about as clear as it could be I think.

cx2
-----