2011-06-11 11:15:37

Our Norton Internet Security license has expired, and we're looking for a new antivirus.  I would like to hear which antivirus programs people think are the best and why.

2011-06-11 12:51:09

Hi. I don't know weather it's the best but I think it is. It's called clamwin free antyvirus. It's really good because I haven't had any problems since i've had it. HTH
Lauren

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-11 14:00:17

Zakc,

Though many people tend to frown upon me for doing so, I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for the past two years and can honestly say that it has done everything I need it for.  It is fairly accessible, uncluttered, and once set up, you can practically forget that you have it on your computer.  It's realtime protection has kept me safe from some 20 attacks or so on the computer I am currently using, has kept my laptop free of anything malicious, and has helped me recover two other machines from total devastation.  Best part, it's free.  If you do plan to use it, I suggest looking into a spyware removal tool to use alongside it for best results.

It really comes down to what you're looking for, however.  there are companies that offer complete security systems for your computer who can be trusted if you're willing to spend a bit of cash.  I would recommend checking out eset's website and perhaps giving their programs a wirl.

Hope this helps,

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-06-11 17:04:03

If you're looking for a free anti virus, I swear by Avast myself.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-06-11 18:01:53

Microsoft Security Essentials spotted a trojan that tried to attack me the other day. (It didn't remove the two programs it managed to download, though, even after a couple really lengthy scans. I managed to track them down and remove them myself, but it was difficult, considering that one of them eats up enough cpu that jaws struggles to read anything, and the only way for me to find it was to wait for it to start running and check the location in the task manager).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-11 23:07:22

Avira Antivirus free or full. If you look to the comparing antivirus site, avira free is always in the top program about recognising virus. The very first is GData antivirus 2011. But I never tried it.
Bye

2011-06-11 23:15:18

From AvComparatives, january 2011:
Winner in category recognising malware on-demand:
Gold: G Data InternetSecurity 2011
Silver: Avira Premium Security Suite
Bronze: Symantec Norton Internet Security  

Winner in category recognising proactive malware
Gold: G Data InternetSecurity 2011
Silver: Avira Premium Security Suite
Bronze: Microsoft Security Essentials

2011-06-11 23:47:56

hmmm. there are plenty of good anti virus programs. it's just hard to know which one to choose

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-14 13:52:14

hi,
i'm also for avira

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2011-06-14 14:18:31

those are accessible, more or less: avast, avg, avira, bit defender(with invisible jaws cursor), comodo(jaws cursor), escan, f-secure, f-prot, eset, zone alarm, vipre, quickheal..
unaccessible or difficult: kaspersky, norton, panda, and other mostly unknown programs.
If you will choose free product, then install an additional antispyware tool, from accessibility point something like: superantispyware, or the counterspy is great too.
for firewalls recomending: comodo firewall pro, sygate personal firewall was good too, but sadly not suppported, and zone alarm too.
regards...

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-06-14 16:52:30

I personally recommend avg. Easy to use, auto updating, not too expensive and you get other tools like anti rootkit and anti spyware if you buy a license, plus very accessible and easy to handle when threats are reported.

There was a very nasty virus going around recently which actually blocked downloads of antivirus security files and wouldn't let you access common antivirus pages, avg dealt with it in seconds.

to an extent though it depends upon what your comfortable with, what your willing to spend, and also what is accssible.

For instance as buclee said, recent versions of norton aren't accessible at all, and I've heard similar things about recent avast though can't confirm.

I would however strongly recommend you don't! get mcaffi, sinse that managed to bugger up my computer on one occasion and is not accessible at all, I'd also be ware of getting another copy of norton.

As I said, personally I'd recommend avg, ---- their pc tuneup program is very good too, but that's me.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-06-14 22:25:14 (edited by hadi.gsf 2011-06-14 22:41:33)

well

people have diffrent ideas

and as dark said.. you should pick up what ever you're ok with

but, as personal experience, i recommend you don't install free anti viruses, that are seriously look unknown... there are many of them, promising good security, but, well they're just trojans and malwares instead, or they will just speed down your computer and interupt your performance of your PC

free anti viruses like: avira, (free edition) avast (home edition) and AVG anti virus (which i say is the best free anti virus) are good free ones

but as a buyable anti virus, i recommend you eset smart security.
it doesn't speed down your computer, it doesn't mes up with your jaws or any screen readers, and the data base gets updates evrry day with highly secured files.
you will have e-mail protection, malware/spyware protection, trojan/virus protection, system tuning, a secure quarantine, anti hack methods, anti fishing,  website patrol, network monitoring, a powerfull unpassable firewall, and more...
the site is
www.eset.com
give it a shot if you like

the brand is eset smart security

the free  edition of it is nod32 anti virus, but i say if you're going to pick a free anti virus choose the free ones which i ment above

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2011-06-15 09:28:14

nod32 is not free, its only antivirus.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-06-15 09:59:17

it's not free.
but you know... there are lots of sites that.... you can freely update it
ehem

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2011-06-15 11:40:23

With avg, lots of features come with the full version, but the free version will keep up as an antivirus, however personally my belief is if your serious about security giving some cash isn't unreasonable, especially when as is the case with avg you get a lot of very relyable stuff for it, eg, link scanner, E-mail scanner, antirootkit, etc.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-06-15 17:07:32

well i tell you. there are ones who want/can buy an antivirus. then there are those people, who know, that they are doing nothing harmfull, they only checks their e-mails, chatting over programs, maybe facebook, or google, i think thats why they offer a free anti-virus.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-06-18 09:15:46

Well, as I've said in other topics, I use Avast. Back when Avast 4 was out, I still got an awful virus with it that ate my resources and eventually crashed the system, and all the time Avast 4 was trying to delete a file that wouldn't go away. Oddly enough after the system crashed we found out the hard drive was bad, so whether it was the virus or just a hardware failure which exaggerated the effects of the virus is something I don't really know. Then I switched to AVG, but I almost wound up going down that same road again a few years later, and since then i've switched to avast 5 which I have regained confidence in. I haven't tried anything else, but I've heard good things about security essentials and AVG internet security. When I get an antivirus program, I almost always get the free edition because I don't really need a lot of the features the pro editions provide, and Avast free has seemed to meet those needs. If I end up switching to something else yet again, we'll just have to see, but I really, really hope not since I don't need any more fatal attacks. Also let's not forget that whatever you do can influence what antivirus you'll use. I always tell my friends not to pay until you try everything, and if you find something free that works, why pay for something else? Some people can even live without for a long time so the paid antivirus is like their last resort!

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2011-06-18 10:28:07

Hi,
I use avira myself, but had AVG before. I don't know if anyone else have this problem, but with AVG, every time it updates, it use to slow down my computer quite a lot. And with Avira, I always get these pop-up windows that want me to buy the product.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2011-06-18 12:02:11

use avast. i have to agree with ray. avast 6 is really good. i have no problems with it.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-06-19 04:30:38

Avast is still good but now i'm having problems with it where if it thinks a file is even in the slightest resemblance to malware, it likes to bring up an annoying pop-up that takes over the window of the program that launched it. For example, XM play, a program I use for awesome midi playback, was claimed to be malicious when I launched it, and I had to tell it to just launch normally, to keep it from launching in the sandbox. I've never used the sandbox but I don't think I would like it. It did this even when a scan came up negative. It's annoying for sure, since it happens a very large amount of times at least for me, but I only have to do it for each program once, and it's better than ignoring things that could be potentially harmful.
AVG did slow my system a lot, and updated very infrequently. Avast updates perhaps a bit too much, but I could always change that if it really bothered me, which it doesn't. Maybe one of these days i'll try security essentials, I have heard good things about it, but since Microsoft made it, i'm not sure. On one hand, it's for their operating system so one thinks that it is the best protection. On the other hand, Microsoft is known for breaking their own standards...

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2011-06-19 12:20:50

oh yes, sandbox is quite annoying but, rather to be litle bit paranoid. *laughs*.
at updating, again rather frequent and smaller not-so-slowing down updates.
avast is on all pc-s in house, and i had no problems with it so far.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-06-20 05:14:04

hello.
Am useing Avast as well,for now.the question I have is,and I thought that I'd just write it here,instead of createing a topic.how accessible is vipper? I've heard nice things about it,and just want to give it a go. I could probably download and try it,but then I'd have to remove avast first,then if I didn't liked vipper enough or found that MR vipper doesn't like jaws, he will have to go ,and I'll have to install avast again.:d.so if anyone has used it could they shaire their experiences?
Thanks.Grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2015-05-26 13:27:34

I have Norton but also using adwcleaner. Adwclenaer help with with PUPs - potentially unwanted soft like browser hijackers like http://pcspywareshield.com/guides/netmahal/
Single antivirus cannot do all work.

2015-05-26 14:27:38

I have the free AVG although it does tend to flag false positives from time to time. @Aprone, Avast is horribly inaccessible, at least with NVDA and it reads all the words as though there are no spaces between them. ClamWin, which I have never used, but, would probably be really good due to the fact that I have used ClamAV under linux. Hmm, its just looking around. I would steer clear of McAfee because it slows your internet to a crawl, I've had good luck with Norton before and ESET NOD32 is a good one. As far as antispyware Malware Bytes is excellent.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-05-26 16:41:38

Is it possible to stay protected if you have multiple antivirus and other protection on your system to have a layered security system?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github