2006-02-25 10:50:32 (edited by archer 2006-02-25 10:52:36)

hi,
i am just wondering, where i can get certain sounds.
now i know about findsounds.com, i've decided not to look on there as sounds on there are real world sounds.
what i'm looking for i can only describe as like magic sounds.
as i was once sighted i remember a ps1 game pandamonium. that had all kinds of good magic audio sounds.
if you haven't experienced this game then i can only describe them as being similar to some of the monty sounds.
what i need are wavs and free of charge.
thx
best reg

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-02-25 11:54:34

Well, the best thing is that just take the games sound files, if you dont want to buy them.
One good game, which you can take excellent magic sounds from is sacrifice.
I wish i could play with it, it is really cool.
Best regards,
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-02-25 14:58:24

where can i get a hold of this "sacrafice?
thx

2006-02-25 20:49:08

The sound files are the property of the company and to "take the games sounds files" is likely a violation of the end-user agreement and a copyright infringement. Robjoy, I notice you are in Hungary, doe your government have a copyright office like in the United States which provides details as to what is considered "legal". I do believe that most countries recognize the copyrights of other nations.

2006-02-26 10:37:19

well, i think your alright to use sounds for personal use, like i've before now made a chillingham / tarzan junior mod.
i think if your trying to turn a profit or distribute other property of a game developer you must get their permission first.
best reg

2006-02-26 13:17:35

I apologize, I was under the impression that the use was intended to be distributed.

2006-02-26 14:32:34

well, that's the trouble on forums, the conversation isn't face to face so the intent is sometimes muddled.
also you can't catch the meaning in a person's voice, that's why there's these smiles, tongue and all the rest
best regards

2006-02-26 20:42:33

James North doesn't know that -- many of the sounds in monkey business were stolen from a game called 'Thief.'  How ironic.

James

2006-02-26 23:11:36 (edited by cx2 2006-02-26 23:12:22)

Whilst I agree with copyright on the whole, I personally think mainstream games that have been out of circulation for some time  are fair game. I know legally it isn't true, but there's no harm being done to anyone and as long as you're not trying to make money off the back of it I really don't think the company could care less. They aren't losing money, and they can't sue you for money because you simply don't have the sort of cash to make it worth their while.

Besides, I've seen many mainstream companies (in pc games at least) hide their sounds pretty well, so if they had really wanted to make it impossible to ever use their sounds then they could have.

There's a bit of an ethical debate about this sort of thing at the minute, especially about program copyright and how long it should last given the pace at which software moves. I'm of the view that if it's obsolete to the point of noone caring about it then noone is harmed, meaning 8 year old mainstream games are probably fair game but no accessible games really are because of the slower pace in that market.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-02-26 23:28:50

cz2,

You are correct that there is a legal distinction and that is all I was bringing up. Ethically there would be debate as some would argue that anything that is illegal is unethical, but then the question of whether the law itself is ethical can be debated.

Anyway, you bring up some interesting ways to think about the situation.  However, in the end, the final determination is held solely by the copyright owner and not what we think should be allowed.

2006-02-27 02:02:37

Personally I think if the sound is obviously recognizable as belonging to another game, using it again is more tacky than anything.  So I guess for me it's more a matter of originality.  I must say I was pretty disappointed when I heard those sounds from MB in super liam, and let's not get started on the horse racing game.

James

2006-02-27 03:29:51

but james,
you sed it your self the mb sounds got "stolen" from a game named theeth"
thanks

2006-02-27 05:02:48

Not all of them; most of them in level 10 and a few others.  I think mainl the footsteps and robot sounds.

James

2006-02-27 08:16:20

some of these footsteps are in superliam; not all of them though. however, i do remember a site with sounds but i can't remember which, which had a sound footsteps on metal or something which sounds like the metal stairs in mb.

2006-02-27 11:20:16

I saw several sound libraries, which the AG developers use, for example, i know Liam used sounds from a sound library (which i recognized), but i dont think so that this is a problem.
We at lighttech, always try to do something original, if we haven't got sounds, then we try to manipulate it, with the hope, that with the little manipulation it is unnoticeable.
Sometimes this works, sometimes not.
But personaly, i can say that since in an audio game the most inportant thing is the sound (if we look at it from the audiogamers point), it is not easy to get new sounds to every game.
And sometimes, we have to avoid somehow the copyright notices and laws, yes, we have to, if we want to sell a game. I think (from LTI's view, because i can't talk from other developers ones), the developer sells the game for the game, and for the enjoyment, and not for the sounds. If it could possible, that sell the game without sounds, i am sure we'll do it, but unfortunatelly it is not.
Oh, and of course i know, that it is really anoying, when you have to play with a game, which have the same sounds, which the other one thousand audio games has. Thats why, the only thing is manipulation, or put a crap sound instead the good one (which we have to manipulate), which is not a good idea i think.
Sorry for the long post, but i hope you can understand me, and not think about like that "oh, that guy steal everything, just because he want to make a great audio game, and he dont care about the laws".

Best regards,
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-02-28 15:15:55

exactly robjoy
there are several sound librarys, with each having a cd or 2 of footsteps, misc sounds,weapons,plains,etc
but the number of audio librarys available out there is limited, and so oftenly you would recognise a footstep from here,a gun shot from there,but this doesn't mean someone just whent to programFiles\draconis entertainment\munkey business and copyed sounds from there,it just means both developers may have used the same sound library
for more info about sound librarys and there prices you can visit
http://www.sound-ideas.com
thanks
regards
yakir arbib

2006-02-28 19:05:22

thats why i talked about manipulating.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-03-01 01:15:31

Manipulating is a good idea! Just by using distortion, delay, reverb, ptchshift, and others; you can almost make a whole different sound. Like Lucas does for starwars. Get a sound of a plane and mix it with something else like a car that is sped up or such. Put them together and they can sound like a spaceship, unless of course you can record the real sound. In that case rock on!
bb

2006-03-01 02:08:05

bboyer202 wrote:

Manipulating is a good idea! Just by using distortion, delay, reverb, ptchshift, and others; you can almost make a whole different sound. Like Lucas does for starwars. Get a sound of a plane and mix it with something else like a car that is sped up or such. Put them together and they can sound like a spaceship, unless of course you can record the real sound. In that case rock on!
bb

Most sound effects ARE manipulations of other recordings and not a recording of the actual sound trying to be created. That being said, the original recordings are still the property of the person who made the recordings. Manipulating them is considered a derivative work.

2006-03-01 08:01:51

but yes if you use a few sounds from other games and you're a developer, other developers have nothing to say about it. they simply use the same suond library

2006-03-01 13:05:48

arjan wrote:

but yes if you use a few sounds from other games and you're a developer, other developers have nothing to say about it. they simply use the same suond library

One is assuming the sound library has given global permission to use its property in this manner including transfer of the use license.

2006-03-02 09:56:25

Bavisoft? No offense but could you chill out about the copyright stuff please? We already know about that, and you've made yourself perfectly clear. Someone was just asking where he could find some free sounds. When I was talking about manipulation I did not mean to imply that you have to manipulate a sound to steal. I was talking about being creative with the sounds that are public domain or you have permision to use. If you have the same sound library that everyone else has manipulate the sound a bit and make it unique. That's all I was trying to say.
bb

2006-03-02 13:59:24

bb, I apologize. While you may know about the "copyright stuff", others may not and I was just adding clarification for how some may have interpreted the post. I did not think you meant to imply that manipulating sounds made it not $stealing, I was just providing that clarification for others who may not understand as much as you do. Again, I apologize.

2006-03-02 22:03:30

well, may i bother you and ask some questions which will just be answered by yes/no? i'd be thankful. isn't it right that when you pay for a game, you can use something included in that game/project? isn't that right that you can buy a library sound and suggest it to others? isn't that right that in this way, thousands of sounds are the same? isn't that right that some company have the opertunity to create new sounds? so, why not use them? look at this line which i have seen in most of the lisence files:
"by accepting to this agreement, you accept that you can use this program's features which are included as long as you have the permition of the owner of the copyright--means as long as you've bought the program."
so, when i buy a game, i can use it's effects, because i payed for it, i don't think anything is wrong with that, is it?
and if we go around and just look which games have which sounds from which games, i think most of the sounds are the same, but since sighted people do not notice sounds as much as visually impaired, they don't notice it and it's an opertunity for the companies and so on. so we have to use other sounds and they might be the same in other games, but as long as we have paid for it (or we have the permition of the owner), that's ok! and nowadays, most of developers have msn or something and most of them know each other, so, i don't think that would be a big deal.
please note that these are just my own oponions. since i live in iran and most of copyright laws do not apply to iran, i might be wrong, and it's because i might not be familiour enough with these.

2006-03-02 23:08:44

parham, you are totaly right! couldn't have sed it better
a specially the part about visually disabled people paying a great deell more otention on sound than sited people do.
regards