2011-05-11 22:52:21

Hello Everyone,

Before I continue, this game will in no way compete with Sarah and the Castle of Witchcraft and Wizardry!  It's an entirely different type of game.

This description/review is rather lengthy so here's the URL for the impatient types who just want to explore it on their own.
http://www.hexrpg.com

I found it back in December and though I haven't been active in a few weeks, I do plan to go back for I have enjoyed myself.  The game is a virtual Hogwarts.  You can take classes, shop at Diagon Alley/Knockturn Alley/Hogsmeade (the latter is only open on real-life weekends), role-play, or get involved with many contests and/or the various publications (The Daily Prophet, Witch Weekly, etc).  None of the actions are mandatory.  Some come for the role-play, others take the classes, while still others just hang out to make friends.

The game is forum-based though actions such as buying from shops is automated, no posting necessary unless you're looking for something in particular.

When you join, you will be Sorted into a House.  This is done by you writing about yourself (your hobbies, your favorite character, and whatever else you'd like the "Hat" to know), and a staff member manually puts you in one of the Houses based on the personality you have.  Your House can really become like a close-knit family and often does.

The nice thing I like about this game is that you can roleplay as anyone you choose.  So, let's say your username is (well, let's take mine) Braille Bookworm.  That doesn't mean my character is named Braille Bookworm.  It's just a handle and I and another person can roleplay a plot where Hermione Granger turns out to be the Dark Lord's daughter and kills Harry Potter.  (Trust me, I've seen plots like that.)  You're only limited by your imagination and the site's PG-13 rating.  In fact, you don't even have to roleplay Harry Potter.  Are you a Twilight fan?  Well, you can feature yourself in a roleplay where Edward falls for you, provided you can find a partner who will go along with your plot.

I will say that there are a lot of younger players on this site, so sometimes the roleplay can degenerate to one-liners.

As far as I know, I am the only blind HEXian on the site, but whenever I've talked to the staff about inaccessibility, they have been open to listening to my concerns.  Since we're on the topic of inaccessibility, let me say that for Apparation (you have to click on the buttons Destination, Deliberation, and Determination (apparently) goes so fast that it's inaccessible from what I can tell.  Apparation allows you to have bookmarks to your favorite places so you don't have to click through the site.

Also, the Whisperer and the Quibbler need to have OCR done on them because they are graphics (The Daily Prophet and Witch Weekly are in HTML and perfectly readable).  I did create a thread about the publications and have gotten support from the editors, though I haven't checked to see what, if anything, they've actually done.

If anyone needs a hand with this game or (what the Heck) wants to roleplay something, let me know.  I like running monthly writing contests and tend to give out Galleons and items quite often, so if you've got creativity, it's definitely worth checking out.

Best Regards,
Tiffany
My ultimate gaming goal in life is to find or develop an accessible version of the Oregon Trail.  Man, that game is awesome!

2011-05-12 00:29:33

I'm very interested. I've read the harry potter books in English, Spanish, German, Italian, and an excerpt in portuguese so I am a big fan of the series. I think I will join.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2011-05-12 04:47:34

Feel free to owl me if you do.  I use the same username as I do here on the forums.  smile

Best Regards,
Tiffany
My ultimate gaming goal in life is to find or develop an accessible version of the Oregon Trail.  Man, that game is awesome!

2011-05-12 15:15:08

i'll join, after typing this message i'll register myself. my name in the game will be pelantas.
great job tiffany, i expect a lot of this game.

ciao

mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2011-05-12 19:42:01

sounds interesting, though I admit that specifically rp based games aren't as much my thing, sinse if I'm going to rp I'd rather do it live with other people as in fact I do each saturday.

How do the various classes work? and to what extent do items and such matter in the game if most is forums and rp?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-05-12 20:26:33

After registering for classes, you can open up the lessons and the homework is submitted much like a form.  Instructors will ask you questions based on their lessons and the points you earn will give you house points as well as Galleons since the Houses all have homework incentive programs.  For the Galleons, you'd have to check your House's forum to find out how to claim the Galleons.

Many items don't have uses beyond the roleplay.  There are collectors who will pay for the nicer ones though.  Food and drink for the most part is considered junk so unless you plan to, say, collect Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, don't buy them.  You'll pick up items through random events while clicking through the site and these you can sell in your own store if you'd like.  There are items that do perform functions.  Some are prank items (Canary Creams and Rogue Bludgers, for example.  If you donate to the site, every six months, a special item comes out with functions.  The only one I know of (at least I think it was a donation item) is an enchanted scoreboard that lets you post something to Diagon Alley's main page.

An item that many sighted people will pay tons for is color changing ink.  It lets you write in any color you want to in the forums without having to use BB code.

Best Regards,
Tiffany

2011-05-12 20:43:33

Ah, this makes a litle more sense now, actually the classes do sound rather interesting and maybe I'll look into this.

I've not included forum based rp games in the database uptonow, (I know of another called ramath lehee), but if this game also has several in game elements to it as it sounds it possibly could do with an entry.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-05-12 20:53:47

Ramath Lehee?  I've never heard of that one but I think I'll give it a looksee at least.  And what is live RP?  Is it done in person or via Skype?  I've always wanted to try something like a pencil-and-paper tabletop type of affair with friends but most just think I'm from another planet.

Best Regards,
Tiffany

2011-05-12 21:39:51

Here's the link the for ramath-lehi

It's a forum based rp game, with skills and such, though how similar it is to hogwarts extreme I'm not sure.

As to roleplay, the game I play each week is indeed a tabletop game with a number of friends (pencil and paper is a bit missleading sinse both myself and the game master use laptops).

actually it's one of the most accessible forms of entertainment there is, sinse many rp books are available as pdfs, but even if not, most games are not particularly difficult to pick up and play if you have familiarity with how rp stat systems and such generally work, ---- indeed many sited players don't read rule books but rely on friends as well.

I have my character sheet on my laptop, and also use gma dice to roll dice for combat etc, but most of the game is simply speaking as your character and saying what he/she does.

I ran into this group through a friend of a friend, and have been playing mutants and masterminds with them for a good while now.

mutants wouldn't have been my first choice of game sinse I'm not usually a superhero fan, but it's actually been a lot of fun, ---- we've even got a major event on for saturday which should be interesting.

it's a shame there aren't more groups around, or ways of putting people in touch with local rp groups generally.

You could do it over skype though, provided of course that everyone had a mike and could voice chat so as to keep things live and flowing.

2011-05-13 00:47:41

Man,
This sounds amazing.
Firstly, one question about the game!
Can you play quiditch?
That would be amazing!
Secondly, dark, i would pay to be in an rp game with you, if your news enteries are anything to go by.
Hope i can start doing similar things to that when i start my drama A level, there's nothing like that up here in north wales!

2011-05-13 01:58:39

Yes, the game does have a Quidditch component.  I haven't tried it though.  It has a bunch of rules and seems to be based off of RP and dice as thrown by the referees!

Best Regards,
Tiffany

2011-05-14 19:26:41

Does anyone have the books in English? I have them in every language but english, and I want to read them in english before I play; I don't remember what they call the different characters. My skype name is techluver.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2011-05-15 16:55:43

Hi Harrison,
I could send those to you via skype, although there are so many files you'd be at your computer for awhile. I could zip them, perhaps...

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-06-05 18:44:07

hi everyone. I've just had a look at hogwarts extreme. It sounds good. I'll have to have a go and see how accesible everything is. I'll try the quiddich componant and hopefully it'll be accesible. [smiles]

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2012-02-25 17:58:27 (edited by blindncool 2012-02-25 18:02:56)

Hmm, this could be very interesting. I've got that RP blood in me, so I will love this! Hope to see you guys on there!
Edit: Where is the registration link? I don't see it anywhere.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-02-25 22:24:06

Hi,
How can I edit my profile? Also, do I need to submit an application to become completely aprooved? Also how can I choose my character? Because I don't want to be Ginny. I'd like to be Harry Potter.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2012-02-26 00:25:14

Please can someone tell me where this sorting hat is pleaaaaaaseeee that makes me mad?

I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2012-02-26 09:06:00

Hi,
I know, triple posting isn't good, but why did they disable my account? I was only exploring! What did I do? I didn't touch the f of the forum! This is not fare! They banne accounts for no reason.

2012-02-26 13:06:30

Moderation!

Burak, tripple posting really isn't! good. I'm actually getting a little sick of people pretending they can ignore the posting rules on this. now it is in the faq and official. Please do! not! do this again.

Okay that over, I have no idea on this one. I've never been a forum rp fan, and I'm not even sure such things would count in the db or not, sinse afterall you can pretty much rp anywhere with text so we'd be adding a lot of random stuff for no reason. I'd be willing to listen to other opinions though.

Myself, I just think nothing compares rp wise to a real, live,human gm in real time, who can work with just a few characters, make stories about them, play all those unimportant but crytical npcs like shopkeepers, bystanders and such, and also introduce twists to the tale or unexpected things.

This could quite probably work over live voice chat such as skype, provided there was a limited number of players with a committed gm, and it may work through text chat, but in mmorp settings it just seems to me there are too many people wanting to be heroes, with no npcs who aren't the heroes, and nobody writing specific stories about anybody, not to mention general problems of player inequalities.

"So I pull out my sword and slash him"

"aaaah, but I dive out the way and look really cool doing it, and I do a forward roll and dive to my feet knocking you out with one uppercut"

"Ah, but you don't, because I'm a really good swordsman, ---- look at my skill, and so i'M TOO FAST for you and just cut you!"

"no! because I'm just too awesome for that!"

I've actually seen these sorts of arguements, where two players both! want to be the center of attention. This would never happen with a gm, sinse the gm would be quite happy with one player getting the best of one of his/her npcs, ---- but with no gm it just doesn't seem to work.

This is why myself I'm not too interested in rp online in a mmorp, and so only interact with the mmorp for what the actual game can give me from a single player perspective, quests, places to explore, monsters to fight, single player story etc.

2012-02-27 05:20:59

I actually agree with you there dark. But still! I will! Check out this game. Oh and could someone tell me where the Register link is?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-02-27 08:11:43

I will say blindncool, if you haven't tried it already, you should deffinately try tabletop rp. I play mutants and masterminds each wednesday, in a campaign that's run now for over two years, with four other players and a gm, and that's been fantastic even though I'm not normally much of a fan of the superhero genre.

all of our characters have plot, as well as on going in character plots involving npc friends, lovers or companions, all of our characters have had sessions and episodes that focus uniquely! on them, and we have so many connections and different factions it's sometimes hard to keep track of who does what, but makes for awesome mystery!

my character for instance is a concer pianist, who is very intelligent but not very wise, but happened to find an iron man style battle suit which he had no idea how to use, but which sort of insisted on being his. It turns out the suit was manufactured in ancient egypt to protect a magical city, ---- built also by someone who's a reincarnation of one of the campaign villains.

the suit's own Ai is actually an npc, and my character has had lots of arguements with it throughout the campaign.

To make life even more interesting, there's now an evil double version of my character running around from the alternate evil dimention (we desposed of all our other evel doubles, but he got away), who himself has the same suit, and is apparently planning to try to become a god.

playing an intelligent fighter is also really nice too. I'm the group's main tank, and one of the main hitters in combat, also I have the best selection of weaponry for different situations.

What is fun in fights however is making up interesting ways to use those weapons. So for instance my suit has rocket powered grenades. Last session we were being chased by a massive army who cornered us on a hill.

I then buried several grenades to act as mines, ---- which meant as the army walked over them, ---- boooom!

That was fun!

Our group also is distinctly different, we have the avatar of a sun god, with various light, mind and magic powers, a half faery who is badly mixed up with fae politics, but has even more!  mind and illusion powers as well as talking to plants and animals, a warrior angel from heaven, and an army captain who's a steam punk style super scientist!

it's just this sort of randomness and interest in plot which you get with a human gm who is prepared to tell the story about the players' party, which I've not yet seen on any mmorp or mud.

2012-02-27 10:22:09

Yep, this sounds great! I'll give it a try! It sounds indeed better than Hogwarts Live! big_smile
Thank you!

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2012-02-27 14:55:50

Hi Paddy,
What is hogwarts live? What do you do in it? Also, do they banne users for no reasons? They tell you that you have banned but they don't tell the reason.

2012-02-27 15:20:22

Hogwarts live is a harry potter themed mod of legend of the green dragon where you battle monsters, teachers, death eaters and eventually fight lord voldemort.

It's got a page in the db if you want more information about the game, and as far as I know, they don't ban anybody for anything other than the usual bad stuff, ---- certainly when i checked out the game to make a db page it was fine.

That deffinately doesn't sound good Burak, I'm especially unimpressed by the fact that they aren't willing to explain the reason why, ---- very bad behaviour there I'd say.

2012-02-27 23:38:07

I say Dark, how do you do this table top RP? I will try it, as soon as I figure out how to do it. Is it like Laire or something?