2011-05-14 22:37:29

I don't think captures would work. The best idea, I think, is to ask a mathmaticle question such as 6 + 5 or something, and to change it from time to time.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2011-05-15 01:38:29

Lords of lords uses a randomly generating maths question, which is different on each refresh like a capture, so presumably there is a module to do this out there somewhere, though if it works with this bb system I'm not sure.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-05-15 14:57:57

Well you just do something like:
Random number between 1 and 9
Second random number between 1 and 9
Ask: What is <first number> + <second number>
if answer = first number + second number then allow registration
else display error

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-05-15 16:58:01

Hi,
Right. And there is, I think, no need to make someone answer one every time they post.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-05-15 17:25:48

I agree with Hayden, since I would not like having to answer a question each time.  Depending on the bot though, if registration is the only part guarded with a question, it won't be stopped.  When the more advanced bots encounter a captcha, or other defensive measure, when registering, they send an image of the current screen to a human who can solve it.  There are website where people get paid to sit at a computer, solving security locks that different bots are encountering.  The bots move so quickly between websites, and there are usually so many different bots out working, that the human literally only has to wait seconds before another security lock pops up.  There isn't any good way to stop these types of bots, other than to delete the spam they post.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-05-15 17:57:36

At least, I think, by answering a question at registration might make for fewer spambots. Another idea: can't we have something like email confirmation like where you receive an e-mail, and having to follow a link to activate your profile?

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2011-05-15 20:03:44

Every post? good grief! lords of lords just does it upon registration and not afterwards, heck every post, ---- or even every login, would be really! annoying.

However there are obviously a lot of automated bots too, so a question would at least cut things down, pluss, I do wonder how well those sad people who aide spambots would do with a question relating to the website itself or who's answer was immediately obvious from the front page, especially if there was more than one question to be answered which popped up at random the way Kingdom of loathing forums do it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-05-15 20:29:04

Hi,
Lol...I was referring to the mistake Philip made with the Blastbay Forum: there was a stopbot extension he installed, and all it did was make things annoying for the rest of us.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-05-15 21:35:45

Dark, I think that's a good idea.  If the question were something like a math problem, anyone could answer it for the bot, without needing any special information.  If, however, the question were something only visitors to this site would know, the human isn't going to be able to help the bot get in.  I highly doubt the person would even have time, let alone the desire, to come visit the actual site to help the bot answer the question.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-05-15 23:19:16

Hm, I'm reminded of my "members' area" that I set up for my website. Keeping in mind that I did this entirely with javascript, so it was never particularly secure or cross-platform (luckily a whole one other person bothered with it. ^^ ).

I set it up so that you had to enter a user name and password, and a code that you got when you received the link to the members' area. And I had a fake capcha in there just to give sighted users the experience. tongue.
The link to the members' area only appeared in a certain part of the forums when you had enough posts. The way I set this up actually replaced "You have" with the members' area message... so me and the one other person wound up getting it to glitch all throughout our posts (which I'm sure would have confused everyone without members' area access who couldn't see the joke...).

Anyway, maybe questions relating to the database? Like, "enter the title of a game in the database starting with <random letter>"?
If that could be easily passed by all human users, anyway.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.