2011-05-11 13:45:25

Of all the things to spam about I just dealt with a spammer advertising divorce attorney services. Good grief, talk about bottom feeding. Well divorce this, you've been banned. They could at least find something interesting to spam about, for goodness sake.

Also oddly I've noticed several times spammers using the domain yashwantdedcollege for their email addresses so I banned that as well. I looked at their site and as far as I can tell it doesn't seem like somewhere we'll get genuine members from, if anyone knows otherwise please let me know.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-05-11 13:54:49

Hi,
Divorec atorneys? I'm sorry I missed that one...lol

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-05-11 14:59:45

Hi,
I've also found, that some spambots who fill in their location, always seem to be from Pakistan. Why is that?

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2011-05-11 16:35:28

Hi,
Probably, because they are form the same person/computer and that computer randomlypicked that country.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-05-11 22:33:11

I've also noticed lots of spambots claiming to be from the states, particularly cleaveland for some reason, ---- unless there's something very! odd going on in cleaveland, I don't think that's the case.

Well Cx2, spambots usually seem to advertize either replica watches or well, ---- lets just say products usually beginning with v, so devorce seems at least a change, though in terms of E-mail spam, I've actually been getting several recently advertizing vigara! ---- annoying sinse it got past my spam rule which deletes mail with the actual word.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-05-11 23:00:50

Well annoyingly I keep getting junk from companies offering laser vision correction, lets just say I'm not impressed.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-05-12 09:50:08

to make things pretty interesting, most of what I get is fake you won a million dollars stuff... which actually gets caught in gmail's spam filtering so I don't get it per say, but I do notice it if I check the said folder.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-05-12 14:14:00

Hi,
Now we hav four more spambots...and I believe one has posted two topics.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-05-12 16:34:58

Hi,
Its 26 already, and he seemed to be online, when I last looked.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2011-05-12 16:52:58

I wish I had an answer for stopping these spam bots.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-05-12 20:33:05

there were two spambots, one posted one topic and another posted a hole bunch!

I think I've got rid of them all, but it was quite a pest indeed!

Really these spambots are an annoyence, and maybe it'd be worth employing some sort of system to make signup harder, like when the registration link was put on the fartman entry instead of in the forum.

As I said in the admin forum, I also rather liked the security the Kingdom of Loathing forum had where they asked you a question about the initial character creation page that everyone sees when they start the game, such as which character class uses muscle.

maybe some generic question about audio games who's answer is obvious from the front page of the site would be a reasonable way around, ---- something like

audio games are computer games accessible to people with which disability beginning with b.

or what body part beginning with e would you need in order to play audio games.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-05-12 21:12:08

I'd go with body part beginning with E and make it accept both the plural and singular form.

Of course if you want to employ something we could always employ a troll to eat the spammers. Oh how I wish.

cx2
-----

2011-05-12 22:33:59

I think that during registration, this site should use the capture thing eventually. This is the only way to get rid of those bloody spam bots.

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-05-13 00:34:16

I've heard it suggested by some tech geeks that captias cause more issues for users than spambots, though of course this is sighted users so in our case that's twice as bad at least. Most audio captias are truly atrocious.

The spam levels most of the time aren't too bad on here so there isn't really any reason to start jumping to captias in any event.

cx2
-----

2011-05-13 02:32:30

What about an invitation-based registration system, then? This will at least slow down the bastards.

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-05-13 02:57:36

Hi,
It's really not too easy to figure out who is and who isn't a spambot. Some are really easy, but not always. )Oh--you think this is bad? Someone oughta subscribe to the Blast Bay forum; it's getting out of control over there.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-05-13 10:50:15

Capchas don't really stop spambots, in my experience. Not on proboards, anyway, as even after they implemented a capcha for registration, I still got a lot of them... most typing in some language that got scrambled by the board. A lot of wow gold people.

Java.net capchas use a math problem, and the last time I checked, proboards upgraded their capcha to something in a frame that I was able to read with jaws. Audio capchas are pretty unreliable and annoying.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-05-13 11:46:27

I've never personally had a problem with audio captures myself, but then again I have some very good headphones.

Visual captures however are a big no no as far as I'm concerned, I fully agree with whoever said they don't work (I've tried solona, and that really didn't work at all).

As for invitation only, the problem is we've had a lot of legitimate new members only, and personally invitation only always strikes me as hugely unfriendly, especially if someone is a litle shy of asking.

Myself, I don't know if I'd have registered on this forum back in 2005 if it'd been invitation only, sinse I don't believe I'd have wanted to ask for an invite, sinse I wasn't really interested enough in audiogames at that stage to want to bother with a complex process like asking for an invite, ---- and what about all those devs or researchers we get?

I like the maths question idea, lords of lords uses a system like that for their registration where your asked a symple question such as what is 4 pluss 6, or what is 2 times 9.

I'm not sure though if spambots could get around that one, but if not it'd be probably nicer even than a generic question about the front page.

I'm afraid I have to disagree Cx2 on levels of spam though, sinse we do seem to have been getting more bots than usual recently, and failing trol employment, some method of tightening registration would probably be an idea.

while I really don't like moving to captures, sinse visual captures are very inaccessible much of the time and audio captures can cause problems for some people, some sort of system might be a good idea.

2011-05-13 12:04:34

Oh don't get me wrong, anything that makes it harder for spammers is generally a good idea so long as it doesn't impact genuine users excessively. The trouble I've found with audio captias is all the rubbish noises they put in the background, echo effects, that kind of thing. There are some truly atrocious ones out there and I do have very good ears.

I just don't feel traditional captias are the solution. As to invitation only or requesting an account, that feels like the nuclear option.

cx2
-----

2011-05-13 13:58:34

Hi,
I don't really think your headphones would have anythingto do with it. Just a question for you, have you ever tried the google ones? That's the worst one I've ever had the displeasure of hearing.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-05-13 14:31:25

Eek, the google ones are practically a game in themselves. Wouldn't be so bad if that was the point, and not getting through them to do things like register or change passwords.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-05-13 17:13:38

Hi,
Yeah...you can't do anything beyond searching on ggoole without using them. I can safely say I have never! passed one on my own.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-05-13 19:23:18

I think I managed to get past one... it was certainly not the first time I tried that particular one, though.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-05-13 21:32:27

I actually had to email google about a password change once. They were very nice about it and did it for me. There audio captcha is really anoying and difficult.

2011-05-13 21:37:59

Actually I have made it through the google ones before, but as I said, I could only do that with my extremely good sanheisa headphones which are hugely clear though as Arq says, they're happy to create accounts or the like if you can't get around the capture anyway.

I do however take the point that they are not particularly easy, which is why I'd not be in favour of employing them, even though I myself have found a way around.