2011-04-18 03:03:30

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if there is an accessable programm for diterminining your IP address?
By IP I mean internet proticol like 73.412.534.148 that is the address on the internet not like the network 1:
like 192.168.0.100 or something.
Does anyone know of a programm that can show you the address?
Thanks,

Daniel

2011-04-18 08:48:53

Hi,
There's a Turkish .tah file, but you can learn your IP from
www.whatismyip.com
Or
www.showmyip.com
I am not sure is it org or com

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-04-18 10:56:52

I always use org, www.whatismyip.org but that isn't to say that .com doesn't exist as well.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-04-18 13:12:31

I just used the command prompt (in windows). There's a command that displays information on IP configuration and such... but I don't remember what it is, since I haven't tried it in so long. :-/

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-04-18 14:06:44

Thanks cx2

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-04-18 14:19:30

Hi,
Don't use whatismyip.org. That will give you your network IP. In most cases you want your publick IP, which is most definitely different.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-04-18 15:19:32 (edited by malthe 2011-04-18 15:23:43)

Whatismyip.com or whichever, gives you your public IP which is what you want if you're say, hosting a top speed server.
If you're connected to the internet through some router or other fun gateway, you will only get your local IP by doing ipconfig (or ifconfig if on mac or unix-ish OS'es), or looking at the IP for the network interface in question in an other way, so if that's the one you need then that's the way to go, you can also usually see the router's public IP from within the interface, but if you want to make sure, use an external source to get it.
Keep in mind that if you're behind a router you'd probably have to forward the port if you want something that listens on a socket to talk to the world.
Malthe

2011-04-18 15:25:44

Hi,
Ah--ok...I only have experience with a router so I was not aware it gave your public IP if you were not using one. I jsut know I've been in trouble when it comes to Routers since I get my local IP.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-04-18 15:48:44

That's weird, you shouldn't be getting that. Whatismyip or any other external source can't see your local IP.
No matter what an external source should give you the public one, since it can't see what you are or aren't behind.
If it doesn't start with "10", "172.16" or "192.168" it's probably public in IPV4 terms. Don't remember the ranges in IPV6, sorry.

2011-04-18 22:16:43

Very true, most routers use 192.168.x.x as their range but as you say external sources can't see this because of the network address translation on the router.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-04-18 23:15:30

ok thanks for the help.

2011-04-19 14:09:16

Hi,
Yeah that's what I thought. But that's what whatismyip is giving us.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-05-05 15:12:57

but I have no problem with whatismyip.org website with set up a top speed server.

2011-05-05 18:56:50

Hayden, I might know what's happening.  These "what is my ip" websites are almost all being run from some guy's basement because they are so easy to make.  Because of this, they are more likely to shut down for brief periods of time like when the person needs to use their computer for something else for a while, or their IP range changes, server is overloaded, or the host's mom unplugs the computer while vacuuming.  Rather than lose visitors with a blank page, I've noticed that quite a few of these site default to a page with a random IP number filled in, in the event the page's server isn't responding.  When the server comes back up, it starts posting the correct IP numbers again.

I have actually seen this happen enough over the years, that as soon as I don't think my IP looks right I will immediately go to another "what is my ip" website to double check.  It is just my guess, but maybe this is why that particular site was telling you an IP address that's clearly wrong.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-05-06 16:13:14

Hi,
Earlier, i came to know about this websight

Please go and have a look at the sight once, because it not only provides relevant information related to our IP address for example, the  region or country of the IP address, the ISP, and more,
but also has a collection of some useful articles related  to proxies, networks, and so on.

Mostly i use this websight cozz it provides quite accurate information about the IP address.

HTH,
Sid.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.