2006-02-13 16:46:12

So it's not earth shattering news, but there's a couple new things up on the news page.  Mainly a little bit on the latest Lworks project.  Unfortunately, I have little in the way of details, but I'm sure that in a few weeks or so there will be new news posted.  I just don't want people to think that LWorks has disappeared.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2006-02-13 19:18:14

hey liam,
did you get my e-mail?
i asked if i could have permission to use some of your material and games on my upcoming website.

best reg

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-02-13 21:01:19

nope.  I can't say I have.  e-mail has been wacky around here lately.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2006-02-13 23:09:07

hmmm, damn.
could you send me an e-mail from your computer, and then i'll reply to it? or does that have no guarantee of reaching you?
best reg

2006-02-13 23:59:58

Yes,a new LWorks game. To bad SL is on hold...

2006-02-14 08:20:49

sl isn't on hold, sl II is, however. smile

2006-02-14 18:40:50

and very sad it is too, we might be missing out on further witicisms from X1.

Anyway Judgement day? asta La Vista baby!

could be fun depending upon how complex it is, of course, I like the idea of a multinational group calling itself the Supreme Evil, sort of like the U.N, but more supreme, and more evil!

Ahem, I'd better stop ere I make some dodgy political references, stil, I'll look forward to seeing the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-02-14 22:21:49

are there enough beta's working on this, or can i put forth my request to be a beta for this game?
best regards

2006-02-15 01:53:50

I know SL2's on hold... Sorry.
Beta tester, that'd be great... *dream*

2006-02-15 02:28:50

Beta testing is more than just playing the game before everyone else.  It's more than frustrating if you have crappy testers who don't report bugs to you because it gives them an advantage or they don't think they should.

James

2006-02-15 06:41:29

Beta testers also have to put up with a potentially buggy and unstable game, if you're a beta tester you can't really just stop playing which is what you would do if the game was publicly available. You have to be able to persevere quite bad bugs without complaining.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-02-15 07:59:37

cx2 and James are right. imagine you would be a beta tester of "the stupid game", you'd get a virus! or a troyan horse or whatever.

2006-02-15 10:19:54

What? Virus? Trojan? From an L-Works title beta version? Well if you think so ...

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2006-02-15 10:54:13

Beta testing is helping the developer to make his product good. When more people try your game it is possible to find strange things you won't find if you only try the game at your workspace (for instance, related to sound card properties, internet connection problems, old operating systems).

You will not find Trojans in beta's, if the developer is serious about his product.

Funny story about Richard and I in our very beginning of audio game programming. In beta testing stage of Sneller, we found that the score-system of Sneller was only capable of reading scores up until 35000 points. Although we ourselves never reached this score, the gamers that played Sneller managed to get 59500 points! This resulted in a score of five...hundred....points. The gamers did not understand why they only scored 500 points, because the score system never said fifty-nine, because it was not present.
Then you've learned something: do not underestimate the powers of the real audio-gamer. Always reckon with the unexpected! We never thought the score could reach such a high number. So, we had to record new score samples! Fortunately we already had to, because we were translating the game to "Drive" smile

By the way, yesterday I made a small score-patch for Drive, so that the score system works with a real hall of fame at the audiogames Drive page. Although I know nobody is playing Drive at this moment, everyone is far too busy playing Top Speed 2! smile

Have fun!
http://www.audiogames.net/drive/

2006-02-15 16:19:10 (edited by arjan 2006-02-15 16:19:50)

you didn't understand me. the stupid game was from orioGames, remember. it did had a virus. at least someone said so, i didn't try it myself at all.

2006-02-15 16:22:50

oh, and btw, i played sneller when the score thingy didn't workproperly.

2006-02-15 21:54:41

well according to james and cx2's post, i and the other lti members got lots of beta testing request, because they want to try the game before it is released.
Heh, and when we asked that:
"Are you ready for playing the game? Ready for searching bugs? Do you want to try the crap version of the game?"
Then they said, no, i just want to try it, because it sounds good!
Lol, that is my short story about beta testers.
Best regards,
Rb
objoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-02-15 23:45:22

I love testing for bugs and inconsistencies and such. I don't care if the product I get is flawed, I'm kinda expecting it. And I've been a gamer for awhile. I know how to hunt for bugs (run backward, try different button combinations, get hit by stuff, try shooting inanimate stuff or pressing buttons during cutscenes, etc.).

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2006-02-16 02:58:29

Personally, i wouldn't mind beta testing, despite the bugs and hard work. I applied to be a tester for Castlequest, sinse I was (and stil am), so desperate for an audio rpg, and would love to help in getting one started. but With Cq going down the drain it's not going to happen now, sniff!

Oh well, maybe if eamon ever gets workable I'll see if I can beta for that.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-02-16 03:51:36

Yeh, if I beta tested, I wouldn't mind if I found many bugs. Just to help produce a very high-quality, original game...