2011-03-25 17:08:29

hey everybody!
@DD the bushido blade that i'll include is the english version.
i'm downloading some more games to add to the psx pack v 1.0
like tekken, soul blade and some others..
true classics :D
dd, thank you for these different configurations, when i release an update to the emulator i'll
add your configurations for the user to choose what he wants.
also, the neogeo bios in this version is broken, i fixed it but haven't uploaded a new version,
the new version of the pack will have everything fixed and peraps even a new emulator, who know
first, the 1.0 pack of the n64 roms is ready! get it here
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1695866/pack%20 … 4%201.0.7z
games included: 2 versions of pokemon stadium, mk trilogy and 4, super smash bros,
wrestling games and more!
vote: would you like to see a ps2 emulator?

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2011-03-25 17:21:30

Drg, i am all for a PS2 emulater. I must ask however, have you gotten it to run on your PC yet? I know the emulaters that are out there now are very difficult to run because of the processing power needed.

2011-03-25 17:34:47

maybe, but i'd rather see a psp emulator tbh.  is it me, or are many of the roms on romhustle.net not working? only i click download on a fair few and i get the folder, but no files.  odd.

2011-03-25 17:38:22

They work fine as far as i know. The download link takes a few seconds to appear after clicking on download the first time.

2011-03-25 17:41:43

maybe it was just the games i searched for then not working.  ah well, they're on other sites, so no biggy.

2011-03-25 17:50:15 (edited by Shadowcat 2011-03-25 17:51:30)

@dan_c, try rom world, every rom I've downloaded from there works
here is my kawaks folder with roms, game cheats and personal keys
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11419213/winkawaks162.7z
still uploading, so give it a while
key list
a: button 1
s: button 2
d: button 3
z: button 4
x: button 5
c: button 6
f: buttons 1 2 and 3
v: buttons 4 5 and 6
q: buttons 1 and 4 I think
w: buttons 2 and 5
e: buttons 3 and 6
f10: reset game
h j k and u: arrow keys
btw DRG, if its not too much trouble could you try to locate the japanese version of BB2?
just my opinion, I liked the voice overs a lot better and plus samurai games fit better in japanese lol
but if you're busy and have other things to do I'll understand
and could you tell me if the snes cheats, encase people want them work properly?
more stuff coming later

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2011-03-25 17:52:13

Hmm, this looks rather epic. smile

I've been using Fusion for Genesis and ZSNESW for Snes. Fusion is pretty light-weight and accessible. ZSNESW isn't quite so accessible, but I've got it so I can open roms from windows explorer without problem, so it's no big problem.
PS1 emulation has always been complicated enough that I've never been able to figure it out. Maybe this will finally solve that. smile

I'm still interested in figuring out a way to enhance the accessibility of roms. I'd like to ask about sprite layering and that stuff at a forum dedicated to emulators and sprites... not sure how to begin, though.
Of course, detecting sprites will only get us so far, but it'd be a step forward if it works. Scripting for individual games seems rather tedious; something a little more universal would be awesome.

Oh, and on the menus. I think for some games (I don't think this is a universal thing), the text of the menus is coded into the game somewhere. I imagine it should be possible to develop a program that can track down that text and feed it to a screen reader, though there would be bound to be games that wouldn't work with such a system. Still, something to think about.

Thanks for the epic compilation, DRG!

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-03-25 18:04:10

like I said before, I think we should just stick to text files for menus, save us hours of tracking down code and programming and condense it into a few minutes of typing menu layouts

2011-03-25 18:04:48

hi.  so project 64 doesn't work for me.  and by that i mean it won't open.  it says something about it cant run from a directory with spaces in it.  any suggestions?  for i cant install it and when i try and remove the spaces nothing happens

2011-03-25 18:15:42

I got the same message as well. Also as far as programing menus and such. Good luck. I think that would literally take several months to get some form of stable accesible program running. Figuring out a way for jaws or any other screen reader for that matter to read even menu information within a game would be tedious at best. Also how in the world would you script that? Not to mention figuring out the games code and making even that information useible. I'm not trying to step on any body here but it would take a joint efort from several people i think.

2011-03-25 18:24:51

well if we find people willing to try, it'd be interesting at least.  oh and i found a way around my problem, go into one of the folders in the project 64 folder, and you should be able to open it up without a problem.  just don't open the portable version.  however with fighting games, i am having huge dificulty with the n64 controls, not least because i don't know which is which, and i don't know if there are training modes

2011-03-25 18:32:41

I've tried a few ideas for universally being able to run the game menus through the screen reader, but I've been hitting dead ends.  For me, the hardest part is the fact that the emulators don't have a default window size.  Because the image, and therefore menu text, is stretched to fit the different window sizes, it is screwing things up.  I've tried to use code to force the emulator window to fit a certain size, but clearly they don't all like that because I ended up with a lot of undesirable behavior from the emulators after that.  sad  There's got to be a way!

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-03-25 18:45:12

that's what i was thinking.  there are so many games we'd be able to play if we could only read the menus! that goes for pc games as well!  sad

2011-03-25 19:00:40

hi all.
sorry for the inconvenience, the project 64 emulators wasn't working because the folders can't
have spaces, i'm uploading this new version that fixes this problem by removing the spaces
correcting the neogeo bios and adding dd's configuration to the snes emulators with the text
file explaining what do what. when it finishes, i'll give the link
in the next versions i'll use the same links, so i won't be giving new links, you will be able
to use the same
the ps2 emulator should be available in version 1.0
if i decide to include it

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2011-03-25 19:07:35

I've had slightly more luck with a new approach, but I've almost completely given up on the games that have animated backgrounds during the menus.  I don't want to sound like I'm close to producing a universal rom menu reader, because I'm not lol.  I am just testing different methods that could serve as a proof-of-concept.  If I come up with a method that seems to work, only then would the actual menu reading project begin.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving anyone false hope about what I'm doing.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-03-25 19:20:57

hey DRG,
did you get my kawaks message too?

2011-03-25 19:39:17

hi all! ok, new version of the emulator is uploaded
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1695866/Emulato … n%20v05.7z
added a changelog as well, will update it when new things are added
@DD yes, i did get the kawaks message, can you please include your player config
in a different file? cause i have 4 gb of kawaks roms, i think i have the entire collection,
lol, so it's hard for me to dl it just to get 1 file.
the cheats for all the games are already included in the cheats folder since version 0.1.
hope you all like the update.

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2011-03-25 19:51:39

ah, okay

2011-03-25 19:54:25

hi.
how open the games? i can't open, because is the extension snk.
thanks.

2011-03-25 19:56:43

I have still the same problems with the project64. the problem with the spaces. And again, the snes9x is very slow on my computer.

Greetings,
Janagirl!

2011-03-25 20:12:31

awesome.  and i found a way to open project 64, i went in to the app folder, then pr64 or something like that, it was in there. but it was a slightly long process

2011-03-25 20:13:30

hi stefan, what rom are you trying to open?
jana, download the new version, it should fix the n64 problem.
as for snes9x i'm not sure, it's working perfectly here.

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2011-03-25 20:20:21

ok so i had a look, i don't think there are ps2 emulators that allow for playing games yet.  i could be wrong though.

2011-03-25 20:20:22

Hi Mattheus,
I forgot to say that I have the newest version downloaded. And with the snes, I'll try it on my computer. I tried it on my laptop because I'm there the most time. And if it would work on my computer, I couldn't play if I'm not at home.

Reguards
Janagirl!

Greetings,
Janagirl!

2011-03-25 21:23:12

Hi DRG, this is fantastic
I think that's a good way to make games accessible for us wich aren't especially designed with the blind players in mind. I think this is definately worth a news entry. I've told my grandma about your project. She is not familiar with computers and games but I explained it to her. She likes the idea very very much and she said that it's great. Hope that motivates you even more, keep up the great work. You're doing a great job. I'm so happy since I had read about the project since yesterday. It's unbelivable.
Best regards
Niklas