2011-03-27 19:47:29

I've taken you up on your recommendation.  I've got NVDA now so I can use it to test stuff in the future.  I was told that my technique didn't work with window-eyes so if you have any ideas on why I'd be interested to know.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-03-27 20:10:08

Actually Aprone simply relying on screen readers to read windows is a rather good idea sinse it's not based on direct output, which is th thing Hal has issues with (one reason I use sapi a lot).

For other ideas though the chaps over at 7-128 have setup a site with various things including coding examples about screen reader support and audio games which can be found Here on the blind computergamessite

This is actually very much what it was made for, to help programmers include support and access in games.

No my idea wasn't involving either frames or tabs (for one thing, tabs tend to get on my whick though this is purely personal rather than any sort of screen reader related thing).

I was simply thinking of automating another common functio in gamebooks into the program's creation process, namely creating a choice on a page which goes to a second page with only a single back link to the first page.

like the bac to start thing, this is a fairly common situation I tend to come across in gamebooks, but one which at the moment requires a deel of tooing and froing to create in terms of coppying pages and moving back and forth.

There are afterall Various situations in a gamebook where you will have a page with many links to single pages leading back to the main page, for instance a contents pae with several articals about the bacground of the world, or a shop with pages describing each item for sale.

This is all I'm suggesting, a single keystrroke to provide a choice leading to one page with a back to previous page choice.

I hope this makes sense.

Btw, I've jus written up my first multiple page conversation with multiple page choices, ---- yee gods it's amazing how much these things gro once you start!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-03-27 20:28:18 (edited by Aprone 2011-03-27 20:28:55)

Dark, that description was very helpful, I understand now what you're asking for.  I'll put in the feature after lunch.  big_smile  Also, thanks for that link about screen reader support.  I'll be sure to check that out.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-27 20:40:39

Hi,

I've been following the thread with interest, but I don't think I'm creative enough to make a gamebook, I struggle for ideas.

Anyway, you could probably use cookies for your Javascript stats.  A quick script call in the header could set up "set" and "get" cookie functions.  you could write javascript mid-page, using a "get" then an "if" to check the value of a cookie, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

There's a very easy-to-follow tutorial on JavaScript and cookies at Elated.com here

Hope that's an idea!  I don't know where you'd draw the line between story and RPG.  There are script libraries to do all sorts of things and the appeal  of not having to host your game on a site requiring PHP or whatever is interesting.

2011-03-27 21:01:26 (edited by Aprone 2011-03-27 22:04:41)

Thanks for the link cachondo, I'll check that out as soon as I finish this post.  big_smile  I hadn't even thought about using cookes lol!  I'm sure you'll come up with a good story idea sooner or later.  smile

Dark, I've added your suggestion.  I've posted version 0.8b which has a few code adjustments to make things run smoother.  In addition to those hidden code thingies that only I can see, you can now type Control + R to create a returning choice.  It will create a new section like usual, but that section will already contain a link heading right back to where you are now.  Hopefully this is what you had in mind, and if not, just let me know how you'd like to see it changed.

I never bothered to say the name for the program came from Dark (for suggesting the project) and the infamous Grue he is always warning us about in his signature hehe.  I'm sure at least some of you made that connection though.

EDIT:
Cachondo, I've looked at that site and I believe your idea will work well!  I'm not quite sure how people will want it to track stats, but clearly this is the way to do it.  Nice work man and hopefully this feature will be added later today or tomorrow.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-28 03:20:46

Ah thanks, that will be useful, also the stability thing is always welcome sinse I did run into a runtime error today (though not sure what triggered it), though the program kept running.

Yes, Grues are cool! while I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay in original zork, I love! the idea of the grue, one might have even got into this rather weerd gamebook of mine too.

Anyhow, I've only got one more objective to right then I can be on to the final few obstacles and the last dramatic battle.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-03-28 03:57:13

Hi,
I'm having problems still. If I open the 1111.txt file, I can type the introductory text. Then I create my first choice and I am told to open that same file. What am I doing wrong? Could someone upload a (working!) example?

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-03-28 04:55:17

Sounds like your not hitting right arrow on the choice to go to the next section and right it.

Also, note that you don't have to look up numeric codes and muck about anymore, now you can just press shift enter on  section to open the text file to write in.

So the process now goes:

1: press shift enter to open the text file and write your intro.

2: press pluss to create a choice and give it the name you want to appear in that text such as "open left door" or "fight the horrible troll"  (you hit delete on a choice to rename it).

3: press right arrow on the choice you want to write a section for and you'll be taken to a blank section (you can use the up and down arrows to scroll betwene choices in a given section as well).

4: hit backspace to write a section summary, (quite optional though I've found it handy as a memory aide), then hit shift enter to open the text file of the new section to write in.

Rince and repeat.

The basic principle is that you have sections linked by choices. Each new choice creates a new section to right in and pressing right or left arrow will go through the sections.

There are a couple of special commands, like ctrl c to copy a section and create a choice going to that section, and ctrl s  to create a "back to start" choice which goes back to your intro section.

Hth.

2011-03-28 04:58:31

Dark,
Thanks; me not hitting the right arrow is the problem. My next question is, how do I chagen it from saying "introduction"?

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-03-28 05:38:11

Hayden, while you're in the introduction section press the backspace key and it will let you rename it to whatever you'd prefer.  I was going to make an audio walkthrough of the program, but I forgot.  It seems like most people's questions are being answered pretty well now though, so it might not be all that useful to hear me chatter on about how the program works lol.  If you guys would still like me to make one, just let me know and I will.  smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-28 05:49:03

I'm pretty okay myself, but I'm not sure on other people sinse afterall I'm probably quite experienced in gamebooks generally.

2011-03-28 10:02:52

I'm ok also. Working on this game book, just adding sections as I feel, and not knowing where the gamebook will be going.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-03-28 15:18:41

hi,

I'm running v0.8b for the first time.

Whenever I press anything at all, I get

Run-time error '5':
Invalid procedure call or argument

This happens if I hit backspace to rename my section, + to  add a new one, etc.  the app generates a header, footer, and 1111.txt files

2011-03-28 15:31:29

i'm afraid I haven't been keeping track of version numbers, but the latest version seems fne over here (I just downoaded it again), so if you haven't already got the latest you could ry that.

2011-03-28 16:00:16

cachondo, my first guess is that you didn't extract all of the program's files into a folder before running it.  Sometimes people try to execute programs right out of the zip but that won't work in this case.  Also if you did extract the files but forgot to unzip them all, it could cause this error.  Double check and let us know if that helped.  Also, what version of windows are you using and what screen reader do you use?  That information might help us figure this out.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-28 16:42:11

hi,

i'm running Xp (Sp3) with JAWS 11 (though the same things happen with no screen reader loaded). 

I extracted the archive - my folder has an output folder, 6 dll's, 2 executables, 4 txt's, a wav and a tlb making a total of 14 files. 3 of the text files came from running the program.

2011-03-28 17:00:55

Cachondo, everything seems right with the number of files.  My new guess is that the sapi code isn't liking your system for some odd reason.  Have you tried disabling it so that your screen reader handles the voicing?  Once you start up DarkGrue, press tab and jaws should start speaking instead of sapi.  Please let me know if that helped.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-28 17:05:09

Aprone,

Thanks, that's sorted it. Every other app works fine with SAPI on my system, but I do have a huge voice loaded so if I changed to a smaller one it may work better.  I'll just tweak JAWS to read the info as it changes in the title bar and  that should make things much quicker than SAPI for me.

Cheers!

2011-03-28 17:06:12

Glad to hear it worked Cachondo!  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-29 07:23:01

Hmmm, i'm running scansoft daniel over here which is pretty big, and I'm also on xp, ---- most odd.

2011-03-29 10:28:44

I have a developmental SAPI voice in situ here, the current lexical database is 1.93 GB so load times are quite slow.

2011-03-29 19:45:03

Ick, my internet was down for a couple days, so I couldn't respond sooner.

Yeah, my sollution for saving stats was cookies. I've had issues with overloading cookies when I've tried to use them forRPGs in the past, so I haven't sorted out exactly how I'd want to use them yet.
I might write something that tries to be versatile and put it up for use if anyone wants it. For handling stats and such. Could expand it more if it turns out useful.
(Of course, if you've already got this under control, don't mind me. ^^)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-03-29 19:49:53 (edited by Aprone 2011-03-29 19:50:41)

Oh by all means, CAE_Jones, share if you're willing to help out.  I've been focusing on the Daytona game so I haven't even looked at the cookie thing since I posted about it.  (On a side note, if you're willing to help test the daytona chat room please see the bottom of the 8th page of this forum post: http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.p … 5&p=8)

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-03-29 20:09:09

Hm, don't have time right now to do much, but I do have the basics thrown into a .js file. Includes methods for reading/writing cookies, writing to layers, and Filesystem IO (though I doubt that will be necessary) (I didn't edit either of those much myself), and then an ArrayList class and some methods for adding/setting stats and random numbers. Trying to work out a good method for scripting comparisons that is simple. Hmm.

Eh, here's the script file; I'll probably update this link as I work on it:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/rpgscript.js

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-03-29 20:17:07

Sounds very promising so far.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software