2006-02-08 16:11:08

Several days ago our domain/website was abused by a yet unknown hacker, who managed to sent a massive amount of spam probably using our contact-form. Our website host, MijnDomein.nl, received a spam-notification saying we were spamming and therefore blocked our website. Due to extereme slow (!) support from our host, it has takes two days to get the site online again. Although we think it is very sad that spammers have the power to bring down innocent websites like ours, we are very glad to be online again! We *will* take
action to try and find who is responsible for the spam. We are currently reprogramming the contact form and evaluating all other parts of the website that might be vulnerable for spammers. In the meanwhile, we hope everything gets back to normal soon and you can play games again! Have fun!

2006-02-08 17:05:29

what did the websight say? it was in duch so i couldn't understand it. i mean, it said something, i think it said something about administration because the word sounded simular in english and in duch.
and, i have made a few tracks for top speed 2, one of which is really long.
it has a very long hairpin that will take you a while to get round, 3 (!) runways, and rather long straight lines to help you pick up some speed! trouble is i don't know what to do, i cannot host the download i have no server so cannot upload to http://community.playinginthedark.net, unless... audiogames.net could host on the mods page "top speed mods" for add-on cars and tracks.
i have made one called the track of doom which is rather short but has 6 (!) hairpins, very very close to each other... so if it ever comes online.... be ware!
and also, my voice... a bit bad news here... is not very high quality in the track names, i used audacity so... i dunno what to do. unless someone else could record them if i say the names to them.
very good and happy reguards for top speed 2 tracks and cars and of course audiogames.net, and bad reguards for spammers,
aaron.

2006-02-08 18:07:29

Sounded to me something like administrative review maybe, but I'm no linguist.

Some people are far too sad for words, and have far too much spare time. Imagine if they put that effort into something constructive...

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-02-08 19:31:01

i can translate it and if i am right it is something like this website is closed due to administrative reasons.

2006-02-08 23:48:28

Hello Audiogames,
I too was getting spammed through my guestbook and was forced to finally take it offline because even after the implementation of security codes some ass fuck decided he was so bored he would figure out why his autospam bot wouldn't submit to the guestbook form and entered the code manually. People spam really for no reason other than to fuck with web hosters and get a kick out of it when they manage to take shit offline. I bet they're a crapload of 13 year olds, perhaps  those that act like some on this forum.
Munawar

2006-02-09 00:38:49

Hey, easy on the swearing.  (IMO it makes you sound 13)  I think it was probably companies in russia or korea or something - they actualy have such things similar to calcenters from what I've heard.  Basically they get lists of names from sites etc. and email them.  They also code bots and the like to learn the forms of sites and use them (guestbooks are particularly easy to figure out since they usually contain the same stuff - maybe instead of naming your input "email" "ag_formmail" or something without the word mail so it's not so obvious what that field is asking for)

James

2006-02-09 11:36:35

Hi,

In our case, it was not that my mailbox was the target (although "mailing me" was part of the spam-proces) but that someone used OUR website to DO the spamming - making AudioGames.net the spammers sad. What happened was this:

Someone used a bot to fill in the contact-form in our website. This is basically a spam-protected .php contact form (using many tricks like renaming the input, checking words and wordlength, etc) - or so we thought.
As you know, every email consists of a "to"-address, a "cc"-address and a "bcc"-address. We didn't the protect the "bcc"-address well enough since our form didn't use one (we didn't have a field in the form for that). So someone managed to fill in the form with a bot that ALSO filled in the "bcc"-address (by just targeting the code of the form). In the "bcc"-address the person managed to put hundreds of email addresses. So when the contact-form was submitted by the bot, I recieved an email with lots of characters and nonsense (or so I thought) while hundreds of people received a spam-email... from the audiogames.net server!
I first received 3 of these emails at the same time, then I received 10, then I received about 80. So if you do your math: for every email I received hundreds of spam-emails were sent. I received about 100 in a few hours time, which means thousands of people have received these spam-emails. At this point I was already emailing Sander to help me, because it was clear these emails were coming from the contact-form which Sander built. Although at this point we were still a bit unaware of the hundreds of emails that were sent using our server - we though it was only me who was being spammed. Sander quickly changed the form to stop the spamming, which worked immediately. And so we thought it was just a lame spammer and we were enjoying the statistics and positive feedback of Sudo-San, when on monday the website was disconnected by MijnDomein.nl, who had received notifications that spam had been sent from their (=our) server. The rest you know...
So whenever you use a contact-form or any email-form whatsoever, please make sure you also protect the cc & bcc fields, since these can be used by others to sent spam via you.

Greets,

Richard