2011-03-11 12:23:19

Hi there,
is it me or are we having tuns of spam accounts being created on here every day. When ever I go check the forum there's always 1 or 2, perhaps more of these waiting.
While I do believe the admins are doing a good job of deleting all this useless crap, I bet it's difficult to keep up with.
I think we may need to have some kind of captcha or some such on the registration form, preferably something textual or with an audio alternative... I do know there are services that can provide those, so thought I'd throw it out there.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-03-11 16:58:59

Yes, i was going to create this same exact thread. This is getting out of hand just in the last couple of days i have run in to multiple spam posts. I think a captcha is in order.

2011-03-11 17:33:50

Whoah there, the odd spam post floating around isn't getting out of hand. In fact I actually noticed several of these were coming from the same email domain, not one of the usual free email services like GMail but something unusual, so I've banned the domain. It could easily be one spammer responsible for most of these.

The quickest and most effective way to stop spam would be to ban GMail and Yahoo email addresses since most spammers are using these, however many genuine users use such services so that is entirely impractical.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-03-12 01:50:25

While I agree with cx2, it would be nice if it were harder for spambots to create topics, sinse it does seem we get on average one or two each couple of days, which is more than we used to.

I'd not be in favour of a capture, sinse there are no reliable accessible ways around them (I tried solona and it just didn't work for me), and while I personally am fine with audio captures (torn city used them extensively), I am not entirely happy with the spam situation.

Either the register link needs moving again to the fartman page, or we need to ask a question.

What Kingdom of loathing forums did is hadve one of three or four randomly generating questions who's information was available on the main page while creating your character for the game, ---- something like "what is the prime stat of the seal clubber class"

Perhaps having these sorts of very obvious questions answers to which can only be find on the front of site, something like which is the section of the site where you can find cheats to games, or which word ending in d describes people with a visual imparement who can play audio games, or who is the news poster and moderator who's name ends in the letter K.

As long as the answer was obvious from what was said on the main page I don't think it'd cause visitors too much trouble even if english weren't theirfirst language, but it would be likely to baffle spambots.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-03-12 12:41:25

It seems all of this is only up to Richard and Sander anyway. It may be a little pitty that us moderators don't have access to these more advanced features of the site, as the master guys seem to have very little time these days and months. :-)
I agree the frequency of spam posts and topics is definitely increasing. I have been active, back and monitoring the traffic again, for just a day after a long break, and already banned 4 bots that nobody seemed to notice or react to accordingly before. that's definitely more than we were used to. :-)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-03-12 13:24:41

I thought as follows.
When someone registers in the forum, can the Administrator examine it?
Or, the user should mail to the Administrator before it registers.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2011-03-12 17:14:19

There is no way to identify a spambot's account until they make a post sadly. There is no difference between a spam account or genuine user account, otherwise if there were the forum could be set up to block the spam accounts automatically.

Here's another simple possibility, have on the registration page something like:

Choose the first/second/third option

Then radio buttons or combo box perhaps with first, second, third etc. This should be fairly idiot proof, and while not completely secure it would hopefully require spambots to be adjusted to specifically circumvent. I don't think we're that significant that anyone would bother doing so purely for spam.

I know Sander had set up the forum so that signatures don't display unless you're logged in, the idea being that this would stop the links affecting google rankings and hopefully putting the spammers off. Sadly this doesn't seem to have got through their thick skulls.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-03-12 21:20:36

This board seems to be quite customizable, considering all the official extensions provided, although I know nothing about its technical design and about the true limits of its customization options..... so I feel we need two things, first some kind of protection against spammers and second more staff members to maintain the database.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-03-12 22:59:28

The database is something of a separate issue, but in terms of spammers I believe if we could have fewer spambots registering there wouldn't necessarily be need for more moderators specifically.

I do know from some E-mail chats with CRichard and Sander that they do indeed have plans for the site and for modifications, perhaps one of these ideas can be put in place as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-03-15 14:08:45

Hi,
I think we need to ask a question like 9+7 as the bbs zone.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-03-15 17:31:14

There is a bunch of spam today in particular. A bunch of ads for medicine it looks like.

2011-03-15 18:53:30

ya I noticed that too.
Can someone please ban that 1?
It is poasting on general like crazy

2011-03-15 19:08:20

I think there has been more spam in the past couple of weeks than usual.

2011-03-16 00:30:47

ya I noticed but today ec it is just allmost constant.

2011-03-16 02:31:21

This is getting absolutley rediculous. I realize that it appears to be one domain but, its practically constant. Notice how even the posts have the word spam in them. Its almost like the spamer wants to insult us. I bet the spambot has posted over 20 topics just today.

2011-03-16 18:26:37

Actually arq, the posts have the word spam because of the forum's spam filters, which brings up certain words as spam, such as via gra (which I suspect is what the spambot was actually saying).

this was all one bot who was on for several hours, and I'm removing all it's topics now, however I do agree this highlights the problem.

Unfortunately Burak, asking a maths question is one of the easiest things for spambots to get around, which is why I suggested as Kingdom of Loathing did, a question based on what it says on the front of the site.

2011-03-16 22:02:39

Hi dark,
Just to point out, you forgot to delete a spam topic on the moderator suggestions forum. It's by the same spambot that you banned.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2011-03-17 10:55:48

Youch, missed those, though I think there were over 50 topics altogether which was really! annoying.

This is actually the reason the chronicles of arborell forum closed down and there's now a mailing list instead.

I'm not sure about your moderation suggestion really briant, not because it's a bad idea, but because I'm not sure if there is a bb code module to handle something like that, sine as it is, while moderators can delete posts and close topics so that people can no longer reply to them, on a forum when someone writes a post that post is already written and viewable by everone, rather than as it is on a mailing list where a message is sent to a central server location and then sent out to everyone else on the list.