2011-02-11 13:45:20

Hi all,

Could someone post an installer for a good working antivirus program on dropbox? I have a virus blocking me from accessing mainstream antivirus sites. Please aid asap ...getting frustrated here

Balliol

2011-02-11 15:58:16

I'm not sure if dropbox wouldn't also be blocked if the virus is interfereing with downloads.

Probably what your best off doing is getting an installer on a memory key or similar and running it from there.

When I got a virus on this machine, I couldn't download anything at all, so had to download avg on my laptop, stick the installer on a memory key, stick it into my desktop and run it from there.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-02-11 16:24:06

i know this is not the right topic, but i dont want to start the topic about it, so quick avg question:
how do i know, that avg was updated? can i perhabs assign for it any sound alert?
notice: i started using avg free edition 2011, and am amazed by this, so i am staying with this, as avast, deeply pissed me off. It is beginng to be totally iinaccessible.
notice2: On the main avg facebook wall, someone posted an idea, to "change the ui", i replyed, to not do that very majorly, that, they should take in consideration us blind too. they told me, that they didnt researched the accessibility wth screen readers, and are happy to know, that it is accessible. so the result of this is, that in the next major version, if the change comes to ui, there will be a choice what ui do you want to use.
michal.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-02-12 08:25:37

Glad to know about the ui business good one michel. You might also mention to them that avg pc tuneup is similarly accessible.

I actually am slightly surprised that they didn't know already about the access, given that they were first recommended to me by dolphin.

As for updates and sounds, you have to configure them yourself, but you can do it, look for the sounds item in the property sheet, you use the dropdown to find an event and tie it to the playing of a sound file on your harddrive.

I've actually never bothered with this though myself, sinse basically just looking on the interface will tell you when the program last updated, and unless you've mucked about with the scheduling it's quite cabable of updating itself anyway.

I actually have the full version, so it also scans for spyware and does other useful things like link and download scanning, and the update business works just the same.

Really, I only actually open the ui when I want to check something, or manually scan an item.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-02-12 12:40:51

thanks, i got the sounds matter, configured'em. its great. i dont like to open interface when i dont have to. i like to get a quick notification something about happenings. so it dont interupt my actual work to worry about updates.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-02-13 00:13:49

Hi,
Use avira
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7rzg3p
Accessible for us.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-02-13 06:45:46

Glad you got the sounds fixed. to be honest, I don't worry about when the program updates, I just trust it to.

2011-02-13 14:41:14

i just have concerns, it is not updating automatically. i was checking yesterday the interface, and it told me, that it was updated day before. then i updated it myself, and it downloaded the updates. how strange.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-02-13 15:54:37

It is probably scheduled to update only within a certain time frame every day or so.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-02-13 17:01:10

well it is at 5 p.m, but nothing.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-02-13 18:15:41

Hi, is AVG pretty good at actually removing stuff? Not that i have any thing to worry about personally, just curious as i have had some nasty viruses in the past.

2011-02-13 18:32:49

Yep, I actually first downloaded avg because I got a virus from a dodgy e mail which I opened by accident (it was my own fault entirely), which avg munched up in seconds.

I also recently ran it on my mum's pc and it destroyed two viruses quite successfully there too.

Buclee, on the main interface of avg it says when it last updated. if I remember rightly, some scheduling options are not available in the free version, especially sinse the fully paid up version also downloads deffinitions and scans for things like spyware and rootkips.

I'd actually recommend getting the full license for avg, just because it's such a useable program.

When I replace my laptop I'll get a license for it there as well.

Eddit: funnily enough I just got an example of this today, sinse in a program I downloaded avg detected a virus instantly and moved it to the vault.

I think it is likely this particular virus is a false positive, but stil it's a relief to know avg can grab and deal with things that quickly.

2011-02-16 16:21:01

well, most of the people just recommend avast to me.
and this seems true.
when i first installed the free version of AVG, it was working.
i manually updated it as well.
after a few days, a strange trogen horse just got hacked into my computer from an internet resource...
and really, you wouldn't believe, i tried scanning the whole computer a dozen times, but it was unable to detect that virus!
i also installed a few other antiviruses, but none of them was able to find that malware.

so finally, i installed avast home addition 4.0, and at least, it located the virus. it wasn't able to remove it, though.

and then i consulted a popular software engineer, he told me to install avast free antivirus 5.0 straight away.
and results were amazing!
it located the virus perfectly, and removed it in a couple of minutes as well.
in addition to that, avast restored the lost files and doccuments, indeed.

this encouraged me to stick to avast.
its so perfect, that now, it just locks any type of malware or virus just before they try to enter the computer.
however, the most important feature is that it updates both the programme, and virus definitions automatically.

as for the concern of accesibility,
its not very much accesible with jaws, but using it by routing Pc to jaws is quite easy.

regards,
sid.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-02-16 17:07:19

@sid: yep i had avast for a veery long time too myself. it was good, untillll, they released a 5.1 versions things, which became worse actually. lets take for example the uninstallation process: if i dont had anyone sighted with me, i cant remove this avast thing myself. the user has to click quickly on "yes", thing, that you want to allow to uninstall, and you are not any virus or something like that. when you miss the "yes" thing, it will say something by meaning like, "sorry, product wasnt uninstalled correctly". it is quite frustrating. so i got rid of it.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-02-16 17:08:18

Stay away from free programs because they don't usually do the job. Its better to buy one and be safe.

2011-02-16 17:16:35

İ disagree about free programs
they are usually better than payed stuff
for example look at avira it has the best detection rate
and 9.0 is totally accessible and it only uses 14 mb max of ram
but usually lower
like 1.4 mb or something
i use it myself and recommend it

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2011-02-16 17:19:27

have to disagree too. free programs can do the tricks for home users, who only chat, play games, etcetc. they have its place among customers. if you watch carefully where you do, and what are you doing, then always the people will be the best antivirus. they only help us. but we do the decisions, if we go to strange sites, download strange things etcetc.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-02-16 23:14:05

I am open to the idea of finding a good free anti virus program. I didn't mean to say all free programs were out of the question. But i wonder how effective they would be at removing persistent things like tracking cookies, trojans and worms. I am a safe internet user, but i have heard of some pretty nasty stuff out there. I think as technology advances, hakers are way more persistent.

2011-02-16 23:41:20

I believe that a program's ability to accomplish certain tasks has absolutely nothing to do with it being free or commercial. If a bunch of keen gurus put together a free antivirus, why couldn't it be equally as powerful or even more so than a commercial one? that is probably the case of Avast as opposed to the full AVG, Nod32, etc. Besides, look at windows versus Linux, Nero versus Infra Recorder, Adobe Audition versus Audacity.... And I could go on like this for ages. Most of the time, the freeware programs are just as effective as the commercial ones designed for the same thing, if not even better.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-02-17 03:21:24

I agree. However, what about updating definitions not to mention the team of ingineers behind comercial products are probably more relyable than just a random free program. Free AVG VS full Version. I am sure the full version offers more protection and different features. Your paying for better relyability and quality. Now don't assume i mean each and every program you pay for is good. There are obveously going to be duds. No argument intended here, its just good to shop around and do research before you just jump on a supposedly highly recomended program.

2011-02-17 11:10:40

In the case of commercial AVG and other antivirus, you supposedly pay for the more advanced features. it has an integrated antispyware protection, firewall and I don't know what else. Basically, you get more stuff for some money, without having to search for a free alternative program that does each of these tasks specifically and independently.
When I was still using Avast, which was for a very long time, it was completely free and still had a resident shield, updated itself at least once a day (very reliably, without me having to care) and it was absolutely fabulous at spotting viruses before they even had a chance to actually enter my system. When I used AVG before for some time, and it was even the so called full version as i got a license for that with my very first computer from its vendor, it let several things pass by. Later, when more updates were released, it spotted them but wasn't actually able to remove them. it claimed it did remove the trojan horse but it somehow restored or redownloaded itself from its website every time. So I got really angry, removed AVG, promptly installed the free Avast, and you know what? it immediately saw the virus in the operating memory, without having to scan the entire computer, and from that was even able to locate all its associated files on the hard disk. So I clicked "remove files" and it was done, in about 20 seconds, most of which I spent reading the information that it displayed.
In the case of antivirus software, i believe the commercial versions are intended for bigger customers such as companies, institutions, offices, whatever. myself, as an ordinary user, and also advanced, i dare say, I prefer to use the free alternatives of every software, when there is one.
Lukas

2011-02-17 13:40:21

Most of the time I'd agree with lucas. I for instance would say 7zip is the hands down best program for ding what it does, and there is no need to for instance, pay for winrar or winzip.

However, with Viruses I happen to agree with Arq.

it doesn't matter how good the actually scanning routines are, unless it's being updated by a bunch of people constantly researching then it's not going to be as useful as an update tool.

Also, quie often free programs only do one thing, meaning you'd need to use several in order to protect against for instance viruses and addware.

Avg does both, pluss, unlike several free programs I tried such as spybot search & destroy and add aware, it has an auto update manager, which is really important sinse updating all components, deffinitions, program updates and goodness knows what can be a pain in the behind.

Sid, I actually wonder if your update of free avg was successful for this precise reason.

Imho a good antivirus is rather like what they used tosay about a good butler, the best ones are so invisible you rarely know they're there.

I have heard of things getting successfully throuh avast, but it sees qute often this depends as muchon where the user is going, what they're doing and how often the software is updated as anything else.

I will say though I'm very happy with avg and glad I paid for it, likewise with it's tune up program.

2011-02-17 16:28:28

i heard something, about comodo internet security premium, which has firewall, antivirus, and who knows what. all for free. what do you think about that?

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-02-17 18:41:47

As I said buclee, partly it's about what it does, partly it's about the time being spent on it.

if it's got all these things for free, how much time have the developers used to find virus deffinitions etc?

Also, how easy is it to use and update?

mcaffi apart from being the worst antivirus on the planet, was also a nightmare to use due to lack of auto update features and it's habbit of taking over most of what your computer did at startup, not to mention blocking things for no reason.

Just because something says it is free doesn't mean it's good, just as much as because something's commercial doesn't mean it's good either.

Case in point, Termite torpedo from American printing house for the blind, a space invaders game which is by all acounts really pathetic (I've never even got it o work n about three different machines), as compared to Dark destroyer, a free space invaders game which is cool, ---- then however you have judgement day a commercial space invaders game which is also cool!

2011-02-17 19:26:19

well i dont know. i heard, the antivirus part of it, is really bad, but the firewall is really powerfull. so i maybe will do some free antivirus, plus, the stand alone firewall from this comodo.

f.a.t.h.e.r