2011-02-10 14:31:10

Seeing as I don't have a stereo microphone, I decided to give my headphones a try.
My first experiment I didn't save, but it had a portion where an ambulance drove by, and every time I'd listen to it, there would be a moment where I'd think it was real--even though the quality overall isn't that great.

Here's a slightly more structured test I did (no awesome life-like sirens, just me talking and trying to see how well the spacial aspect works). I decided to post it because I find the tradeoff between overall sound quality and spacial realism interesting. I haven't tried running noise reduction yet.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/headph … 0-2011.mp3

Obviously a device designed to record spacial sound would be ideal, but I don't have one. I haven't looked into getting any such device, but I'm starting to think I should, given the projects that I'm working on and such. (But the prices...!)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-02-10 19:27:25

1. Which editor do you use to do Three D effects? 2. How do you do it in what ever editor you use?

2011-02-10 19:54:52

I didn't edit that recording at all, other than increasing the volume. I plugged my headphones into the microphone jack on my laptop. This particular pair of headphones has its own volume slider, which I turned to the maximum. It's a wrap-around type with large earpieces that can be flipped to face outward. I had them flipped outward here and on my head so they'd be similar to actual ears.

I did edit it a little: I turned the volume up by 250% about three times. The louder the sound being recorded this way, the better.

(I was recording and turning up the volume with wavepad. I tried noise reduction on it after posting, though I only used one method (Wavepad has three different methods for noise reduction). The sound was more watery afterward, but the spacial aspect seemed to be preserved. I'm worried that I can't use this method to reduce background noise if I'm trying to record 3D ambiance. sad )

After this, I decided I'd take my laptop with me and record the trip to get breakfast this way. I considered that people might think it odd that I was walking with headphones on outside my hood; only after I set out did I realize that such people would probably find it more odd that the headphones were turned inside-out. There was hardly anyone else up at the time, fortunately, and had they been, there are far bigger nerds in this area (though, I don't think any of them walk around with inside-out headphones on over a hood).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-02-11 09:56:39

Well, the only interesting part about this, to me, is that this is the first prove I've ever heard that this method actually works to record stuff. I am personally used to much better standards both in quality and spacial realism when recording audio myself. :-))) But this is a nice experiment and everybody has to begin somewhere. It's actually quite nostalgic now, remembering the good old times when i did stuff like this.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.