2011-02-06 06:50:06

I'm considerably out of the loop on phone accessibility. I've rather stubbornly avoided mobile phones entirely until this year, so I know very little about the different types or how accessible they are. I have one now that I can only really use to place and answer calls.
It sounds like there are ways to enable speech on some phones. Would this enable text-messaging accessibility?

(The whole idea behind text-messaging with a phone has me wanting a phone with a braille keyboard... brailling would probably result in less errors and decent texting speed!  Though I imagine if such a thing exists, it would be rather expensive...)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-02-06 10:26:15

Mobile accessibility has been around for at least 8 years now. Firstly Talks supported the Symbian OS, and then Code Factory released Mobile Speak.
While personally using talks from December 2007 up to November last year, I personally don't like the way Symbian has gone - applications are getting harder and harder to find, let alone the ccessible ones, which is one of the main reasons that I've gone down the iPhone root; they have Voiceover built-in, and if I switch iPhones I don't have to worry about paying an extra fee to get my Talks lisence transfered.

2011-02-06 13:26:03

Also it is worth mentioning that most decent smartphones should support a standard bluetooth keyboard, the iPhone goes one better and supports bluetooth braille displays as well.

Any fully accessible mobile phone will support text messaging with spoken feedback. While Talks on Symbion technically supported web browsing I didn't really get on with it, I also switched to an iPhone mid last year and while I don't do much browsing on it I know that I can if I need to with a good level of confidence. Again a bluetooth keyboard would be very helpful here for the iPhone specifically.

iPhone accessibility for the built in apps is very high. Even the maps app lets voice over read your estimated street address, and the youtube and iPod apps are excellent and all three are pre installed.

Of course the advantage of a Symbion phone is it gives you physical buttons to press.

There are tactile screen protectors available for the iPhone which have dots on the keyboard positions, there is even an iPad one which has full braille markings for the keyboard but sadly you can't make calls from an iPad.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-02-06 16:54:14

Ditto on the iPhone. I purchased a folding bluetooth keyboard, and couldn't be happier. I keep the phone in my pocket, and the keyboard folded up in my backpack. When I want to take notes, I unfold the keyboard into a full sized keyboard, and it automaticly turns on and pairs and I'm all ready to take notes.  It's smaller and lighter than having a laptop, and the battery lasts longer, too. I admit it's only good if you want to take notes; I wouldn't want to do a quiz or major project on it. You'll still need a laptop for that.

2011-02-06 17:05:38

Or netbook, which is smaller and lighter. Not as small as an iPhone by any standards of course but you can generally put your existing screen reader on it and away you go.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-02-06 23:53:22

Hm, it sounds like the iPhone is the best choice for accessibility, then...
Now if only there were some magical way to use my old Braille 'N Speak as the keyboard for it. ^_^.

Thanks for the information, everyone.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-02-07 08:44:21

Unfortunately I don't believe there is, but I do gather that it supports several bluetooth braille displays including the FS 40 blue. I can't say whether or not the keyboard functions on such a display work or not since I sadly cannot afford a braille display, costing approximately 5 times as much as my iPhone was.

If you aren't carrying a separate keyboard then a Symbion phone I find is faster for typing in, but the navigation around the OS is much better on the iPhone. You actually learn where things are on the screen relative to each other over time which is a very liberating experience.

cx2
-----

2011-02-07 12:36:48

Do you think an iPhone would interface with a PacMate?

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-02-07 12:56:11

Sadly no. It will only connect to keyboards or braille displays through bluetooth, and since neither the pac mate nor the PM braille displays are enabled for bluetooth this won't work. Even if you use a bluetooth adapter it wouldn't be set up to make the pac mate work as either a bluetooth keyboard or braille display.

I cannot comment as to whether it would be possible to use tethering if your network offers this, but if it requires software to be installed onto a PC then the answer is no.

cx2
-----

2011-02-07 13:38:04

Hmm, odd... I thought the PacMate came with bluetooth support. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just loaded with information on things it doesn't actually have...
Eh, the PacMate is too big for quick access. A Braille Light would be better (though I don't have one anymore, even though I'm not even going to ask if it would be likely to work. lol )

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-02-07 18:32:28

Well even if it did have bluetooth, I can't talk about the newer versions since the QX400, it probably wouldn't be set up to run as a bluetooth keyboard. That's the sticking point, the iPhone wouldn't be set up to recognise a note taker as a note taker unless it was able to pretend to be a standard device like a keyboard.

cx2
-----

2011-02-08 00:58:10

For the sake of completeness, let me point out the major highlights of the new Mobile speak. I am still using V3.80 where as 4.6 is already said to be available, but friends say it has fabulous, intuitive and fast web browser support where you tell it what elements you want to move by (headings, links, lists etc) and then just jump by one forward or backwards. it also has a forms mode of some kind, of course. Then, it does natively support Bluetooth braille displays too, has an entire mode for gesture controls and keeps track of its customer license records online based on your phone number, not the very device it was registered for, not any more. If I am right, you can have it activated only at one phone at one moment, but if that device gets replaced and you still have the same SIM card, you can just activate it online or via the PC at no extra charge.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-02-08 18:06:54

That's a SIM lock, Talks offers that option though they do charge extra for it. If you change SIM card or network you'll need to have your license transferred assuming Code Factory have such a service available.

I'm not saying it isn't useful, it is just well worth being aware of the limitations you are getting yourself into. It's all about choosing what is right for you.

cx2
-----

2011-02-08 21:20:55

Right, I was just trying to point out everything that matters. :-)
Anyway, I have only seen Mobile Speak on Symbian in action, no Windows Mobile powered phone and no other screen reader for mobile phones, so i would appreciate an audio review of Talks, for instance, if anything like that exists. I would just really like a way to make my own independent opinion about which one is better. :-)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-02-08 21:32:52

I can't help saying that if I can like mobilespeak for anything is the choice of voices.
We'll take Polish, since it actually has 1 extra synth.
So, we have 2 loquendo voices, one male and 1 female. they're just 8khz, but otherwise don't have any compression and are very easy to understand.
We also have 1 female acapela voice. this one sounds just like the pc version, 22khz, 1 6 bit. It, too, is easy to understand though has some weirdnesses and pronounciation difficulties.
And then we have one voice just called speak. It was the first ever polish software synthesizer and although released long ago for dos is still popular. It has been updated to work on pac mate, windows as sapi, and symbian. it's 16 khz, doesn't really sound human but has great speed.
with talks, if you have a symbian 9.2 or earlier phone you still can use the realspeak mobile voice. those are also 8/11khz, but they aren't compressed and easy to understand. If you're like me, however, and have symbian 9.3 or newer, you are forced to use vocalizer mobile, which  I think really sucks. it sounds like it really has been compressed. sure, it may be about 500kb, but it sounds absolutely crap and I've been experiencing frequent clicks with certain words, and that doesn't really help matters...
I wish apple would have went with a different company for voices. Some companies, like humanware addopted vocalizer but are actually switching (they will allow users of the stream and trekker breeze to use acapela voices in their full quality). One thing I saw frequently with the reviews of that device as well as the plextalk was that the voice wasn't really pleezing to read with for long durations, and I can't help agreeing.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-02-09 12:40:17

While I don't like Alex on the Mac I do find Apple's choice of UK English voice on my iPhone perfectly fine. I can't speak for other languages or dialects of course. Alex on the Mac however just can't pronounce things to save its life. I had trouble telling the difference between someone in Adium saying "trait" when I thought they said "trade" just this morning.

cx2
-----