2011-02-01 01:05:59

hi all. as a blind mudder myself I was curious about the various mud clients taht are accessible with blind people? I know most people use jfw, but I do not, so the list of clients that work with jfw may not work with otehr screen readers. Also the games people play? alter aeon, aardwolf, etc. just curious as i can't seem to find a mud that I can stick with. I'm sorry if thsi is the write place for this, but as this is a blind forum site I thought I'd at least try it. I've played alter aeon, got confused and couldn't figure it out, the eq system was complicated, materia magica,  I got stuck and couldn't level. and aardwlf which i'm still playing.

I love fresh coffee, it's just so lovely! mmmmmmmmm, coffee!

2011-02-01 02:26:24

I know that VIPMud should with Windoweyes and JFW. it also can use the sapi voices that is installed in windows if you don't use ether one of those screen readers. Some, I think, use MunkeyTurm, but have know idea what screenreaders you can get that to work with. I know that there is others, but can't think of them at the time being. As for MUDS games, have you tried star conquest? It is a ok space baced game. I had to quit playing it for awhile because of homework getting in the way, like it usually does. The only game in your list that I haven't played yet is "aardwolf". The only problem I find with alot of MUDS tried playing, is that they have lots of grindding and or PVP. Also, some of them, as you may have found out, take a little time to learn. This could be a good or a bad thing depending on the mud.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-02-01 04:10:31

haha yeah, most games take a little while to get used to, and some don't allow you to configure teh prompt, that thing aat the top of every screen that says your hp/mana/movement/etc every time you  move. it gets annoying so I usually quit and go on to another game. also teh player base is important. if I ask for help I want help and not, read the help files, or, sorry i'm too busy. I've even had a few games where the players would challenge me to a duel oe get me into a pk room so they could kill me. then laugh as i struggle to defend myself.  for muds i use a special version of mush client called mush z that has a plugin that allows it to work with jfw, wineyes, sapi, system access, a version of eloquence built into the package and nvda. and it's all free. but scripting can be a nightmare because of the complicated language.

2011-02-01 14:09:52

VIPMud works with Sapi, and it is simple enough to script so that the prompt is hidden. I tend to even have it store the prompt information so that I can use an alias to display it later if I need to know what my HP or mana is etc.

I've been round lots of muds but haven't stuck on many for any amount of time and currently am not sticking on any at all. I've dabbled in one form or another on Alter Aeon, Awakened Worlds, Dark Legacy, Materia Magica, Mume (lord of the rings), Miriani, Godwars 2, and Star Trek Mush. I've tried out many more and not stayed including DuneMud, SWMud, Hell Moo and others.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-02-01 19:16:21

wow, sounds like me. I find it hard to find a mud that I can stick with, I always find something wrong with ti, either I spend hours grinding, that gets boring, or they want huge amounts of gold for armor and weapons when gold is tough to find in the game. some games gold is easy to come by and some it's rare. I've tried vip mud, the only reason I didn't stick with it is you have to pay for it and it seems backwards to pay for a program to play free muds, and it doesn't work with  nvda. what i mean by this is it doesn't read what's coming in automatically, you have to scroll through the output, which can be a bit monotonous, and it's hard to keep up if oyu're in a group. I'm not bashing VIP mud, just saying why i couldn't use it.

2011-02-01 21:35:16

Set it to output via sapi and it shouldn't have a problem with NVDA, at least in theory. As to paying for it, that's a personal call and I respect your opinion on the matter. It does depend on how much you get out of muds as well, I don't get as much out of them as I used to sadly.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-02-02 05:26:00

Hi.
I have tryed many muds as well,but they all get boreing after sometime.
By the way,wouldn't this topic be better suited in the genral game forum?I mean its game related and many people simpley don't read the ot room.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2011-02-02 17:36:08

I use Hal, which isn't supported by any clients, and also sinse in muds text reading as it appears is important I can't get by the way I usually do by using the virtual focus instead.

For most things though I've found vip mud and sapi to be absolutely fine.
The only thing I use mushclient for is alterean, and that chiefly because of the sound pack, but even there I miss some of the more advanced vip mud features like searching for a nae of something in the output text and finding it.

While I've not played many games, I have tried medevia, and materiamagica as well as alterean. Mm looked great, but I just don't like the way you can only complete certain quests at certain levels and it's possible to actually level yourself too high to do some stuff. This means you need to look at a lot of guides and be a bit too careful.

Even getting everything in the newby area is a right royal pain.

Oh, and I took the liberty of moving this topic from the offtopic room, sinse it is most distinctly about games and thus belongs here.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-02-02 18:17:46

Okay

As an NVDA user, Mushclient is the only thing that works. Do _not_ pay for vipmud. Yes, that might sound harsh, but hear me out. Vipmud is missing many, many features that have been standard in mud clients since 1999 or so!  Let me give you examples:
MCCP: MCCP is the mud client compression protocol.  It allows repetative text sent between you and the mud to be compressed, in order to save lag on your end, and bandwidth savings for the mud. It makes so huge a difference that Aardwolf will even punish you by handing out fewer quest points and less XP if you're using a client that doesn't support MCCP.  MCCP is supported on nearly every mud server and active mud today. Vipmud does not support it last I checked, and had no plans to add it.

MXP: MXP is the Mud Extension Protocol. It allows muds to mark up text with special formatting marks and styles, similar to HTML.  This can help mud clients better recognize and handle everything from paragraph breaks to exit lists. Vipmud does not support it, even though *well* over half the active muds today support and use it.

GMCP: GMCP is a protocol that all of the most popular muds (every iron realms mud, Aardwolf, and more) use to send your mud client specially formatted data about room names and numbers, exits, land types, NPCs, closest shopkeepers/fountains/inns/etc, your characters stats and effects, the skills and spells you know, and much much more.  Clients that support GMCP can then use this data in scripts, to build automatic maps and speedwalks, and do all kinds of interesting and helpful things.  Guess who doesn't support it, and has no plans to support it? That's right! Vipmud again!

MSP: MSP is the mud sound protocol. It allows a mud to include sounds with the game, and trigger those sounds on your client, with no need for you to make special scripts and triggers. Muds like CoffeeMud, Godwars2, Meteria Magica, and many more all support and use it.  Guess who doesn't? I bet you already know the answer: vipmud.

That's just a small list of things not supported by vipmud; I left out other minor features that every modern mud and client has like the mud server status protocol, telnet goahead, pweblo, etc, that vipmud still lacks.  Vipmud is yet another example of specialty blind software written to make a buck, that lags nearly fifteen years behind everything sighted people have come to expect in features of mud clients.  Payng for vipmud, in my opinion, means supporting the idea that blind people shouldn't get to use mainstream software, and can always expect less from the software we do get.  And I'm not just talking nonsense; I own a copy of vipmud, and am extremely unsatisfied; I had hoped that all of these missing features would come in an update, but we've heard nothing about them so far.  I had a lot of respect for GMA Games, as they usually release quality products, with lots of features, and add missing features in free updates. This hasn't been the case with vipmud. They've let down both themselves and the blind mudding community.  Maybe I missed an announcement or update, I hope I did. Because Vipmud just isn't the kind of product we've come to expect out of GMA.

Okay, now onto accessible muds. Right now, my favourite is CoffeeMud (coffeemud.net, port 23) because of its awsome crafting system, NPC AI, skills/chants/songs/spells, and more...see my post about it in this forum.  But with Mushclient, the NVDA reader, and the extra scripts, you should be able to play nearly anything. I've tried alter aeon, aardwolf, 6 dragons, 4 dimensions, core, all of the iron realms muds, hellmoo, miriani, threshhold, discworld, lensemoor, and many more. I've been successful with them all. 

Hope this helps!  And sorry about the rant, but it's something I've wanted to say since a month after vipmud was released.

2011-02-02 18:23:31

Actually, vipmud does support msp, but only if you've bought the program, I have had it running in several muds including materiamagica and medaevia with vipmud.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-02-02 18:40:42

I have bought the program; how, in that case, do you turn it on, configure where it keeps the sounds, etc? I'm not seeing any MSP options anywhere. It could be that I'm stupid, or missed an update? The manual doesn't seem to talk about it, either.

2011-02-02 20:41:24

I've played probably a dozen different muds, and investigated as many more muds and mushes. I've experimented with mushclient, Java Mud Client, VIPMud, and one that I haven't seen mentioned here yet, which is GMud32.
Of these, if you want free, I suggest GMud32. It's what I started with, and is your most basic client, but runs well. It doesn't seem to work so with NVDA, though.

Of the rest, my hands down best experience is with VIPMud. No, it doesn't support MCCP, as far as I can tell, but it does definitely support MSP. Not only have I used it, but it has this fact clearly stated in the documentation.

Beyond that, I enjoy the split screen interface, the ease of creating client side trigers and aliases, the ability to play back test based off a keyword, which is very handy if the mud you're playing doesn't have channel history, searching of the output screen by keyword, and the autocomplete/repeat command functions.

As for mudsd themselves, I have, as I said, played a lot, but have probably played the longest on AARDWOLF, Awakened Worlds, and Miriani. Part of this depends on your preference for RP or for lots of shiny features and puzzles and in game activities. I generally prefer RP, but I do love the number of features available in AARDWOLF and Miriani. Plus, having a soundpack for Miriani is just fun.

Other's that I have enjoyed for some length of time include Alter Aeon, Forgotten Kingdoms, Kingdoms of the Lost, and another one that was fairly popular that I'm completely forgetting the name of. I remember playing a dragon character, though.

Also, gutterstar.net has some info on accessible muds and mud clients, including some scripts.

Good luck in your mudding. smile

Shadow

2011-02-02 23:00:43

As far as I remember, I just stuck the sounds in the sounds folder of vipmud then activated the msp in the mud itself, eg with setsound on in materiamagica and it worked.

the only time I've seen sound fail completely in vipmud was with the alterean vipmud pack, but I'm not sure I set it to work properly there.

2011-02-03 05:51:27

That's where the confusion is. If you need to download sounds and triggers and change settings, it's not MSP; it's a custom set of triggers developed for that particular mud. Alter Aeon, for example, does not use MSP at all.  If this is what you mean by MSP support, then I stand by my original statement that vipmud does not support MSP. As for the other stuff, mushclient supports tab completion and searching history out of the box, and plugins can add support for a split interface, channel history, and more.  I just cannot recommend vipmud when the included features are shockingly incomplete and utterly out of date.  Before vipmud can become a serious mud client, huge additions in features need to be released; even mud clients for mobile phones are more feature complete than vipmud at this point. I would support paying for vipmud for the time savings and support of having screen reader access built into the program, but I just cannot advocate the use of something so obviously unfinished and second rate. Another thing I never got into was the fact that vipmud doesn't support any kind of standard scripting language; you need to learn nonstandard vipmud scripting, and if I recall correctly, what vipmud includes is not a touring complete language, seriously limiting its usefulness. I'd be happy with VBScript or JScript or *something*; as both those languages are built into windows, they should be easy to add. But apparently they won't be. If GMA doesn't want to do it to reduce complexity I can sort of understand, but then they do at least need to be absolutely sure to include all the appropriate features of a mud client, and they haven't come anywhere near doing that. As it stands now, I don't even have the power to do telnet nigotiation, so as a scripter I cannot add any of vipmuds many missing features, even if I wanted to.

2011-02-03 19:22:21

Wrong, you only need to download the sounds. I'm not sure if Alter Aeon supports MSP but I have it working flawlessly on Materia Magica, and for some reason partly working on its own in Godwars 2. Many muds do indeed have soundpacks which include scripts as an extra, allowing sounds in a mud which doesn't support MSP. You also need to check where the mud is calling the sounds from because some will add a subdirectory to the path.

In all the muds I've played I have rarely seen MCCP, and when I did try it the compression actually increased lag. Frankly these days bandwidth is cheap enough that there is no real reason to use it for text based games like muds, trying to encourage its use seems anachronistic. In my opinion the bandwidth saving is outweighed by the processing overhead.

Also formatting information like MXP is of limited or no use to us, and I have never even heard of GMCP before now. I certainly haven't heard it mentioned in a game.

I've used GMud, VIPMud, MushClient and MonkeyTerm. GMud is nice and simple but only really works with the Jaws scripts, I would only suggest it to a complete beginner. Its functionality is very basic. Mushclient is incredibly powerful but the more complex functions such as the scripting are too difficult for general use, this is speaking as someone who was educated as a C++ programmer at college.

cx2
-----

2011-02-03 23:36:35

that's odd, i have vip mud but i cant get the sounds in games to work accept miriani which i never play. any ideas?

2011-02-04 08:05:25

I believe Miriani's sounds are from scripts not from MSP. To use MSP you need to:
Download the sounds from the game's web site and put them in the sounds folder in VIPMud's directory, assuming the mud doesn't look for the sounds in a subfolder.
Enable sounds in the mud itself.
Have the registered version of VIP.

Perhaps you could give us more detail on what you did and any errors you get?

cx2
-----

2011-02-05 22:26:24

What kind of computer are you using? I have exactly the opposite experience: muds that don't use MCCP lag terribly on my system. Where do you play? Everywhere I play supports it, and some even require it. It's not really your bandwidth they're trying to save; it's server bandwidth. Many muds are hosted with little or no fynancial resources, so while you may have enough bandwidth to support your session, the mud server may not have enough for a hundred or so players; clients need to be respectful of this fact of mudding life.  Also, tose of us playing on mobile connections, or with caps, *do* have bandwidth issues; in Canada bandwidth is measured and billed by the KB on mobile lines, and measured and billed by the gig on home connections. Plans generally start at only 6 GB per month. I'm not sure what land of milk and honey you live in where bandwidth for server owners and clients is as free as air, but I'd love to live there.

MXP information can, in fact, be of use to us. It helps hugely in triggering for invintory lists, exit lists, command words in NPC dialog, and much more. So I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you there, too.

And as for GMCP: it's used by the six most popular muds in the world, so it's not at rare as you seem to think.

2011-02-06 12:40:02

which are those six "most popular muds on the world"?

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-02-06 13:37:56

Fastfinge, this is a moderator warning. There is no need to be so aggressive.

While I can see the point in MCCP for mobile connections a mud session is hardly going to make any impact on even a 6gb limit. In fact I only have a 10gb plan myself, and routinely only use 2gb for my entire internet access which I use on a daily basis. It is hardly a land of milk and honey, for the past few years a megabyte of bandwidth for a fixed location is hardly anything. I would actually be surprised if most muds used many gigabytes at all.

As to what computer I'm using, well you did ask:
2.6GHz core 2 duo, 2gb RAM, windows XP, and at the time it was using MushClient.

I do hate to say this as well, but if your mobile network operators are routinely charging for each kilobyte of mobile data without a reasonably priced data plan available you are being royally screwed over by them in your country. Here in the UK even pay as you go 3G mobile data connections, the most expensive, only charge by megabytes. Even then for low prices such as around £10 a month, ignore the exchange rate since product prices vary as well that isn't much at all, you can get multiple gigs of data.

cx2
-----

2011-02-06 16:42:51

Oh, yeah. Our mobile providers are totally screwing us over. Depending on your provider, you can expect to pay from 4 to 10 cents *per kb*!  Unfortunately, we have several providers, and the prices with all of them are equally bad. The only deal is to pay something like $20 a month for a 500 MB plan.  Whenever a new iPhone is released, one of our providers, Rogers, usually has a 6 GB for $30 special offer, but it's only available for about a month after the new iPhones are released, and you need to get a new phone on a 3 year contract to get that "deal".  So playing a mud on my mobile connection for a few hours can easily cost me over $10 if I'm not careful about compression.

Sorry for the aggressiveness; these are issues that I feel extremely strongly about.  I can't help my feeling that GMA released an incomplete mud client to make a buck off the blind community.  So I do find myself getting rather upset when people jump in to defend actions that I, personally, find inexcusable. I'm not trying to say that people who use vipmud are bad people; if you can afford it and it does what you need, fair enough. But I will not relent on my opinion that vipmud is a bad client, especially when you compare it to paid offerings available to the sighted community, and free offerings available to everyone.  As someone who has to put up with Canadian mobile and fixed line bandwidth prices, and also runs several servers for various communities, bandwidth is another issue that I feel strongly about.  It is *expensive*. Maybe not for you, but for others. Especially for server operators. If I opened the mud I'm developing to the public, and none of my players used compression, I couldn't afford to support more than about 50 hardcore players. This is another issue I've thought long and hard about, and come to the conclusion that if I do run a mud, the only way to keep it viable will be to force MCCP on everyone, or seriously penalize those not using it, and hope people can get hold of a client that supports it.  My current thoughts on a compramize are to allow 5 or 10 uncompressed connections to the mud at one time, and an unlimited number of compressed ones.  These are real issues. I'm not just being contrary for the sake of being contrary. To get a real world idea of the kind of difference this can make, look on your computer and find a 5 or 10 MB text file; log files can sometimes be good. Now zip that file up, and compare the size of the zipped and unzipped files.  Depending on the contents of the file, the 5 MB file probably zipped up to be well under a meg.  Hopefully, this will show just how enormous the bandwidth savings we're discussing really are. 

As for muds supporting GMCP: Aardwolf, Achaea, Aetolia, Imperian, Lusternia, and Midkemia all support GMCP. They all have well over a hundred players online at any given time. And there are probably other GMCP enabled muds I'm missing; those are just the obvious ones.  GMCP is widely supported by sighted players, and it could be of even more use to blind than sighted for making access improvements to games.  Unfortunately, the one specialty mud client for blind players chose to leave it out. See the problem?  The issues with vipmud are extremely serious, numerous, and not going away.  In my opinion, the only way blind players are going to see improvement is if we all stand up and make our voices heard, letting developers, even developers from inside our own community, know that we're not going to sit calmly buy while we get second class access to everything.  If google suddenly made 75% of new features inaccessible to the blind, they'd never hear the end of it.  I'm really struggling to understand why vipmud is getting a free pass from everyone. Well, more than a free pass really, as vipmud isn't free.  I'm both confused and upset by it, honestly.

2011-02-06 17:01:28

I will admit that after your descriptions MXP and GMCP would be useful. As to bandwidth, I honestly do believe your location makes bandwidth expensive. For most countries bandwidth isn't especially pricey to my knowledge. This is unfortunate and I do sympathise.

If you believe VIPMud is a bad client that is an entirely valid opinion and I won't argue to try and change your mind. Do however remember that GMA is in fact one man who develops his games in his spare time, this is true of most accessible game products we discuss on here. The fee is both to recoup costs for expenses and to compensate him for the time he could be spending doing other things.

Could VipMud be better? Of course it could. Could audio games in general be better? Same answer. However as much as I like the concept behind MushClient I do find VipMud more user friendly for my own purposes.

As to mud choice, I did try Aetolia. I noticed several of the "most popular" muds listed were IRE ones actually. I found the playerbase quite abrasive and the roleplay enforcement to be taken to extremes, people even expected you to roleplay in tells and rather than explain that they're roleplaying in tells they simply barrel on through all your confusion having their character get annoyed with you. I like roleplay but I had never seen in character role play through a communication method which has no in character mechanism. If it was a telephone, radio, materia magica style magic mirror or whatever I would understand it but tells? I didn't stay on there long naturally.

A lot of people prefer smaller, more niche muds. In fact I would bet that there are many, many times the number of players on smaller muds than on the big ones if you add them together. It isn't like mainstream MMO's where people are drawn to the biggest ones and all the rest fight over the scraps left over.

cx2
-----

2011-02-06 21:24:48

Yeah, all of the iron realms muds are heavy, heavy, heavy RP muds. I think that's why they get so many players; they appeal to a sighted market that isn't currently served by graphical MMORPGs. If you look at the top 10 muds on TMC, all but 1 or 2 (Aardwolf and Battmud I believe) are extremely RP intensive.  If that's not your thing, then yeah, you've mostly got to go to a smaller mud. 

I know GMA is one man. But the things that gets me are: first, he's managed to do a *lot* better on all of his other products, so vipmud is a rather huge let-down. It feels, to me at least, like the developer at GMA is only an infrequent mudder, and doesn't have the passion for muds or mud clients that he has for audio games.  As though he just developed it to fill a market that he perceived would pay. His other products are not like that: they're well thought out, well designed works of love. Vipmud doesn't feel like that at all, IMHO.  Second, his product advertising, and the name Vipmud itself, goes out of its way to spread a lot of FUD about how hard it is to get mainstream mud clients to be accessible.  It's not that hard! Assuming you're using JFW, Window Eyes, or NVDA, I can get you running on any mud you want to play in under 10 minutes: probably less time than it would take you to buy vipmud and enter the license key.  Yet he has, in the past (and may still?) called vipmud the "only accessible mud client".  It wouldn't get me if he marketed it as the most user friendly or something. But he's marketing it as the only accessible client, and telling untruths about how his client compares in features to other sighted (yet still accessible) clients on the market.  This reenforces my first impressions that vipmud is an excersise in making a buck, rather than developing a first class product.  Rename it to TalkingMud, advertise it as the mud client with speech built-in, admit that other accessible solutions do exist and are easy to set up, recognize that vipmud has proes as well as serious cons, and I'd be happy. In other words, present his client as an option, rather than the only reasonable solution.  But GMA has never, for example, published a reasonable comparison between his client and mushclient, other than vague mutterings about how hard mushclient is to set up (untrue!). 

Honestly, I've considered making a distribution of mushclient, all set up for screen readers, and able to play on any mud. Install it, and connect, and it talks.  But as I'm Canadian, and so is GMA a Canadian company, I wouldn't feel safe doing so. If GMA accused me of trademark or patent infringement, and based on my feelings above I strongly suspect that he would, I can't afford to fight that in court.  What GMA is doing with the marketing of vipmud, and not releasing a feature complete client, is holding the blind community back, not advancing us forward.  I know he's one man. I know he's short on cash. But never the less, I still don't believe that excuses vipmud from blame. I'm quick to praise developers who get it right. And I'll praise any of GMA's other products to the sky. But I also believe that developers who get it so seriously wrong should also get there fair share of well thought out, reasoned criticism. And I haven't seen any of that in the community, and that really bothers me. 

Yes, I realize that if I don't like it, I don't have to use it. But it's not that simple.  Now mud programmers who want to fully include blind mudders are going to need to take vipmuds shortcomings into consideration, weather we like it or not.  For example, if I require MCCP, I can kiss a huge portion of my blind players goodbye.  So even though I don't use the client myself, vipmud is still actively harming me and the muds I love.  The only solution is to speak out against it, and make current vipmud users aware of the problems, and hope that enough of them will listen that GMA will decide to do something.

2011-02-07 08:39:15

I agree that Mush is a viable and relatively simple to set up alternative. In fact I still have it installed on my system at present. That said I don't see how you'd be infringing trademarks or patents by making a competitor, otherwise the major screen readers would have sued each other into oblivion. Or at least sued Apple to heck and back over Voice Over. Of course I don't expect you to make such a project since we all have things we would love to do.

I'll also consider though that David Greenwood hadn't made any games previously that used the internet for anything more than scoreboards., and he only uses Visual Basic unfortunately. I'll admit at times I wish VipMud was faster running, especially if you try turning colours on it gets way way bogged down. I haven't paid any attention to his marketing so I can't really comment on that but if that is true it is quite troubling.

What I would really love is a fast, effective accessible mud client which can be used on multiple platforms. Windows, Mac and iOS would be ideal. I'd dearly love a decent accessible client for my iPhone, it might even persuade me to pay out for a bluetooth keyboard. MSP and MCCP support for such a client would be the bare minimum I would expect, given that an iOS device may be limited on bandwidth.

Edit:
I understand that you feel strongly about this matter, I respect that a lot. If at any point you felt I was being unduly dismissive I apologise for giving that impression.

cx2
-----

2011-02-07 10:29:30

fastfinge: I think Vip mud is for people who are new to muds and just want a mud client which works out of the box. I'm not a hardcore mudder yet and I don't know much about the things you have described so butifull. I'm not into programming stuff and for example all the features mushclient offers. I simply don't have an idea of what's all about. So for people like me who don't know much about these things, Vip mud are for us. However, I'll never buy Vip mud and use it to play muds for free, but that's just a personly thing. I do see your point of all the missing features in Vip mud which is really not good. When GMA games choose to make an accessible mud client and even take money for it, it's their job to make a lot of research about muds and really figure out what features a mud client should have. I totally agree there.
It would be totally awesome if you could make a kind of package which contains scripts, readme's etc. which explains all things for newbies who find it hard to get things up and run for muds. I had that annoying issue in Mushclient that Jaws didn't read it all right which really pissed me off until I got some awesome help to solve my issue.

Cx2: I've found an almost accessible Mud client for Iphone, but you have to find all the text manually and do the basic swipes to read the text. Voiceover doesn't read the incomming text automaticaly, but the client itself is totally accessible. The app is called Pocket mud.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen