2011-01-29 17:16:13

hi all,
meditation is the most important part of spiritual life, and it helps to know our inner selves. it enhances ones spiritual powers and helps to increase spiritual energy.

i have came across such articles, advices, motivations, and a lot of uses of meditation.
and sometimes, my parents advice me to do meditation as a part of daily routine.
well, practicing meditation is really nice.
but on the other hand, i really wonder that is it easy for totally blind person to do meditation properly?
sighted people often focus on 1 thing, like a picture, a wall, or anything that requires a proper focus.
and one thing that i often came across is that focusing on a particular point is rather difficult for me.

are there any tips for carrying meditation, especially for blind people?
those who have lost their sight afterwards, i think they often asume images of things and other people by certain variables like a whirling wind, an impression resembling a particular type of object in reference to the things.
cozz i am totally blind from birth and have only some light perception, i often asume different objects by their composition in braille.

regards,
sid.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-01-29 22:20:23 (edited by lukas 2011-01-29 22:21:29)

Lol, Sid. Having practiced meditation, I can assure you that it is everything just a matter of being able to concentrate properly at all. Visual focus can perhaps be a helpful aid but it is all about focus, not just about visual focus. I admit it is also incredibly hard for me to concentrate on just one thing for longer than a few seconds, without any interrupting thoughts,but mastering this skill is the purpose of meditation as it then makes you extremely perceptive, calm and somewhat smooth. Focusing on a sound, a smell or a touch will work equally as well, or at least it does for me. Everything is possible, sometimes it just needs to be done in a different way than the mainstream world does it. When we can live in the every day society, go shopping or just meet friends, drive a vehicle (with a navigator) and I don't know what else, and even play some mainstream games, we can also meditate. In one regard, it might in fact even be slightly easier for some of us, as I found out that those who rely so heavily on sight oftenhave an even more chaotic and disturbed mind full of messed up thoughts all over the place than I seem to.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-01-30 01:30:09

Lukas is right, it's just a matter of concentration.

indeed, in one buhdist technique I used to practice, you needed to focus primarily on the ground under where you were sitting, which might in some senses be easier for someone with a more developed sense of touch.

i really should get back to meditating more regularly as I used to.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-02-02 18:31:20

So what techniques do people use, then? In the environment I grew up (conservative christian), meditation was neither practiced nore encouraged, as it was seen as dangerous and something that could open you up to demonic influences.  I've often been interested in learning the skill, but every single guide and tutorial I've found online, including all of the audio ones, encouraged you either to focus on something visual in your environment, or to keep a visual picture in your mind (candles and flames seem popular). I don't even know how to start adapting these to my use, as I have no background in meditation to begin with. Does anyone have any pointers or resources that they found helpful?  I'd rather something without religious overtones, as I have no interest in changing my religious practices, or getting in touch with my spirit guide or the mother goddess or whatever; I just want something to reduce stress, calm and organize the mind, improve health, etc. Any thoughts on techniques and practices that work for you would be appreciated!

2011-02-02 22:47:15

Very odd regarding the demonic thing Fastfing, as there is plenty of meditation in the Christian tradition, indeed I once knew a catholic priest who specialized very much in meditations focused at clearing trouble and bringing you closer to God, ---- which is actually what the majority of meditation from any religious perspective is about anyway, one reason why i'm a universalist.

anyway, getting away from religious debate, a lot of the techniques I've tried have basically been about focusing on one thing rather than having your mind cluttered with many thoughts at once, as with some of those you find online. In one buhdist technique I tried at one point,the basic idea was to sit in a cross legged position with hands palm downwards on the ground, and concentrate on simply the feeling of the ground undernieth you and nothing else. Sinse the ground was stl and didn't move, the idea was you took that stilness into yourself.

Another one of the priest I mentioned favourites was concentrating on thinking of nothing, of darkness and absense with no sensation whatsoever, simply to create calm in your mind.

I can't think of any specific books to look at, but you may want to actually find someone who knows more about this than I do, ---- such as many less rabidly conservative christian clergy and ask them.

When my mum was studdying to be ordained she actually did a fair amount of meditation simply as part of the course.

And to forstall questions, no my mum is not ordaned, sinse the Anglican Church don't like disabled people.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-02-03 00:22:29

I won't rather talk about religion at all, at least not here. Anyway, Dark, to me personally, concentrating on nothing, or blackness, darkness, whichever way we put it, seems to be the very top skill level in concentration. I find that a lot harder than, for example, using the ground as your focus point, or a sound of the sea, or a smell, or anything you like, although the ground technique sounds particularly good and I am in fact going to try it out. :-) I find that when I try to just empty my mind, the longer I try, the more thoughts, and increasingly more chaotic and unrelated to anything else, seem to fill it. From what I heard and read, it's supposed to be caused by how our brain is trained to behave and to process impulses from the outside world. We are used to having so much perceived information input and to process so much unrelated stuff at once every day, every hour and minute, that the sudden calmness and emptiness we are now trying to force upon ourselves is somewhat disturbing for our rational, logical, conscious part. That's another reason why I find meditation so useful - to learn to make better use, and to be in better touch, with your other, subconscious, intuitive and emotional hemisphere.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-02-03 06:12:54

Okay, some interesting techniques. People have mentioned focusing on a sound; has anyone tried this? I would think having a sound on with headphones would be an aid, at least as a beginner, in blocking out at least some of the stimulation from the surrounding world; sort of like a sighted person closing his eyes, when the headphones go on they tend to block outside influence.  What sounds seem to work? Or does it not work at all and it just get distracting? I'm going to see if I can find some good sounds. I find I have to avoid running water, as even when it's part of those relax with nature soundtracks, it always just makes me think I should go to the bathroom. Maybe I'm just too suggestable. But running water doesn't say relax time to my mind; it says washroom time.  Perhaps white noise? But I'm worried whatever sound I use will either be too much and distract, or be too little and not offer enough to focus on.  Maybe put in earplugs, and then focus on the ground like dark was talking about?  It just feels like closing the ears would be important for a fully blind person, as closing the eyes seems to be important to sighted people who are meditating. Or do you guys find you can just tune out noises in your environment without doing anything special?

2011-02-03 10:33:41

LOL, funny about the running water.
Even the sighted people still have to put up with the other outside simulations somehow if they close their eyes. that's part of the skills and concentration that meditation develops. When I was learning a certain japanese skill that I shouldn't probably talk about here, my master was putting great emphasize on learning to accept the surrounding environment as it was, even if it might not be pleasant to us. In the end, we truly learned to manage to just put up with it and put it aside so that it didn't disturb us any more.
I have never tried using headphones as i believe it would just cause more distraction than anything, but that's just myself. And it is best to avoid any direct electronical influences as much as possible. if i want to meditate at home, which is rare but still, I found out it works best if I just turn all electronic devices off, including the computer, HIFI player, anything, make sure that I am alone in the apartment, and close the door to my room. Rather than headphones, I would recommend some pre-recorded soundtrack playing quietly in the background from loud speakers. If you don't place yourself too close to the device, that should actually help rather than cause distraction. Just choose what fits you best, deciding for the proper track to listen to should be an important step in the process if you want to go this route, or just forget about little aids like this and start learning to imagine something in your own mind. That's your only sanctuary, nobody can steal this from you, and it works the very best of all possibilities. :-)
Lukas

2011-02-03 14:26:27

That rather reminds me Lukas of an old Japanese proverb, that a truely calm person can be so in the middle of a crowd.

I really need to get back to trying meditation myself on a regular basis, sinse it was helpful.

For focus, only some techniques focus on one thing specifically, many require simply thinking on a certain concept. There are some wonderful ones developed by the Roman philosopher plotinas for instance which require you not to focus on a stimulous, but on general ideas about the world and the things in it.