2011-01-08 09:51:03

just out of curiosity, who here watches any anime, japanese or english? if you do, which ones do you watch

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2011-01-08 14:13:21

I don't think of myself as an anime fan, though I enjoy Dragonball, Detective Conan and Full Metal Alchemist... I'm sure there are others I'd like if I bothered to watch them.
I generally watch those three in English--my Japanese isn't good enough to keep up with them most of the time otherwise. I did watch .hack//sign in Japanese; the language there is much simpler, and now I have a hard time imagining it in English. smile (Well, and I did have someone on hand to read the subtitles, which generally isn't the case.)

I'm rather annoyed that the Conan dub cuts off right before Ai's introduction... I want to watch that bit and know what's going on... sad

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-08 14:59:55

my brother is a huge anime fan and I tend to pinch them from him, but the stuff we've seen tends to be the interesting, weerder stuff rather than fairly standard shonan series like Dragonball or full metal alchemist which is what a lot of the mainstream think of as anime.

I've watched various series, most recently higerashi, one of the most profoundly evil psycho dramas ever! I just this christmas finished watching rosen maiden, a really interesting and bizarre series about a set of living dolls.

I think two favourites of mine were Elfen lead, probably one of the most interesting and down right shocking stories of experimentation and other races I've ever seen, and Keno's journey, almost a fantasy where each episode takes place in a different kingdom.

I'll watch a series like dragonball Z for fun and amusement value, but it wouldn't really be something I'd want to sit and watch through over a long period, particularly with gt which for me largely ruined a lot of the characters especially gohan by basically resetting most of the storyline to be about goku again.

These days whether in books, anime or anything else I tend to like series with stories that have a distinct end, rather than ones that troll on for episode after episode for ever and ever and ever!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-01-08 15:13:04

I totally agree with the second half of your post--about both GT and stories needing to end at some point. Despite this, I've written myself into a situation where I have a rather long series, with tedious stretches between interesting bits.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-08 16:58:24

Well, you can always do a robert Jordan and finish it eventually, ----- even if you end up having about five books in the middle which basically spin everyone round many times ;d.

I've also just finished reading the 13th wheel of time book, towers of midnight, hence the comment.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-01-08 17:36:27

I haven't started wot yet, but I was going to eventually
just haven't found them
I also agree about GT, when I got the storyline from playing tenkaichi 3, I just said, what the f***
that's why I like dragon ball kai, which cuts out all the filler and is already on the cell saga at episode 50 something

2011-01-08 18:58:24

yep, I've heard good things about K, but I'm not prepared to buy a series of dragonball on dvd really, and unfortunately I don't know a channel that show it. Cartoon network (of all people), used to show dbz and gt.

2011-01-08 19:36:39

well, I do have it somewhere on my exturnal if you want it

2011-01-09 02:05:05

The only issue with that d&d is I would, --- well want the graphics too, otherwise I well might take you up on it.

Then again, sinse I'm about to start in on babylon 5, I really can't complain of shortage of watchable material.

2011-01-09 05:35:34

actually the graffics are still there, haven't converted yet

2011-01-09 11:57:47

Kai comes on Nicktoons and CW4Kids (they're up to Namek on the Cw).

I just finished the fourth Wheel of Time book Friday... and I already know what you mean. I hear I'm right at the point where it gets loopy for about five thousand pages...
I don't think anything I write could be stretched out that much... even if I wanted it to be, I don't think I could write well enough to pull it off.

Which makes me think of another topic that is probably better off in its own thread... but I expect it to be brief, so:
Would anyone here have worked with Final Draft, the screenplay-editing program? I tried it briefly when my main laptop was running XP, and it was decent, if a little sluggish. On Vista, the lag is unbearable, and I wanted it mainly because it has the option to have SAPI voices read the script (with voices assigned to individual characters), and the voices I have available for it just don't make it worth it. (I'm still annoyed that Mike, Mary and Sam don't work on Vista).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-09 19:37:48

yeah the subs are almost finished cell though
do you know if they brodcast in canada?

2011-01-09 19:48:27

I don't know what the status is in Canada, though I might be able to find out.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-09 19:53:10 (edited by Shadowcat 2011-01-09 19:54:22)

damn YTV took naruto and bleach off their schedule
oh btw, just curious does anyone here watch abridged?

2011-01-10 00:40:56

Yes. Actually, DBZ Abridged episode 19 used a sound effect that I made! big_smile

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-10 00:43:30

which was that?

2011-01-10 02:42:33

I believe it's toward the end, when Guldo has Gohan and Krillin trapped with his mind-freeze. A continuous tone-sort of thing that pans from left to right about every second. I made it based on a sound that came with Windows XP.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-10 03:35:27

ah lol guldo
vegeta: have a biskit! thump