2011-01-05 19:41:07

hi,
this should help alot of people
never never never never install windows live essentials 2011 if you have jaws 11
it is totally useless
and some bad news microsoft has intigrated the ribon in windows live mail 2011
that ribbon like in office!
i   have a accessible installer for 2009 live essentials for anyone who wants it

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2011-01-05 21:44:03

dont worry. i use thunderbird for mails, as for office thingy, i today removed office 2k7(which was pre installed there in my laptop), now using open office 3.2.1. so i am happy.
as for wlm update, agree enes, its reallyreallyreally badbadbad. the process of downloading of this crap is really slowing down computers. i use miranda therefore. all wlm stuff is out ofmy computer.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2011-01-06 03:27:42

All the more reason for me to track down an xp laptop for my new one.

bloody microsoft!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-01-06 06:57:40

-_- it's almost like Microsoft is trying to screw us over. I mean, I'm pretty sure they aren't, but it can feel like it at times. sad

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-06 09:06:07

Well, it might be appealing to a certain percentage of the sighted users. Microsoft is trying to turn the computer into a nice looking pile of crap, rather than make it the simple (in terms of outlook) yet powerful tool it once was back in the days of the good old Dos, or like it still can occasionally be with some distributions of Linux or Unix. :-)
Anyway, nobody forces an user to have Windows Live Essentials installed even on a Vista or 7 laptop, that's the good thing. Well, at least they do not do it for now. :-)So you can just remove that piece crap along with tons of others and be good to go.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-01-06 15:00:52

Actually in one sense Lucas is right, microsoft are! out to screw over anyone who wants a functional interface, Vi users included. Many fully sited users have precisely the same complaint, that the interface is visually far too flashy and complex to be easily useable.

In fairness this isn't as bad as it could be snse I have personally never used windows live, in fact the only such tool I stil use is the bog standard outlook express for mail, and more recently Mirc for chat (though really that's just for core exiles).

I'll stil not be upgrading to windows 7 any time soon though.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-01-06 17:29:09

hi,
all microsoft wants is visual crap
and they love to slow down pcs
guess what!
the new microsoft security essentials increased boot time by 12 seconds in cnet's benchmark test
and it increased shut down time by 6 seconds
İ wish microsoft would stop! improoving interfaces and gees and start putting accessibility keystrokes and features

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2011-01-07 01:34:11

hence, i am getting a mac as soon as possible, its gotta be better than microsoft, heck, even the iphone is useable when drunk. lol

2011-01-07 02:44:01

Well, do not treat me as a lawyer of Microsoft but you have to admit that if you have a screen reader like JAWS on your computer, which serves you well, and if you have an Office that is your virtual bureau that you're working in it, or if you have lots, and lots of audio games that entertain you you in that stressful life, then you should stop complaining because all of those things exists just because of Microsoft. For those who fusses about such problems that they are having: Like many other things in the life, you have the advantage only if you have a lot of money in that world, and the softwares are no exception for this rule. For example, if you are not user of pirated version of JFW, then you could go directly to their support site, in order to get solutions about such problems that are currently being mentioned on that topic.

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-01-07 16:37:29

hi,
İ didn't say linux or mach was better
İ just said that İ don't like microsoft's crappy habbit of trying to make things look pritty
and another thing they forse people to install there applications
they forse people to get programs that they think is good
look at this pc
windows 7 no major softwares installed no bad stuff like viruses
870 mb ram used!
this is rediculous
most probably that ram goes to visual stuff

2011-01-08 09:40:48

I'm afraid I have litle respect for microsoft. We need to use their software not because it is good, but because it is universal. It's rather the same way back in the 80's betamax videos were actually better quality, more well made nd held more content than the standard vhs tapes, but because vhs had more cash for promotion more companies used them to reccord their films so beatamax went under despite having the superior thing.

In windows 7, microsoft have purely gone for the flashy option which is very inconvenient for us, hence why i'm currently searching for a new laptop with windows xp.

Oh, and then there is the way they treat the people who actually build the pc components in china which is down right disgusting.

as to security, i never trust ms default security anyway and always go with avg.

The only reason i don't get a mac myself is that my entire phd thesis is written in ms word, and that I have many games and other programs which wouldn't run on one. Pluss in fairness, even while their products may be good, some of aples other practices are less savery, such as charging for developer licenses, though it is worth noting that unlike microsoft they actually write their own screen reader into the os, so Vi users don't have! to spend huge amounts of money on third party software at all.

2011-01-08 12:31:08

hello dark,
i agree about ms
just visual stuff eating up my ram
and also dark you will never find a xp laptop
microsoft forbid companies to install it on computers

2011-01-08 12:34:29

win7 is only choice
i also don't trust microsoft security
thats why i disabled win defender and use avira antivir better product than microsoft's security essentials
and dark look how insecure it is!
microsoft doesn't protect the program's files and reg keys from being munipulated so viruses can go right in and disable microsoft security essentials
and why should i use there product when there is a better product on the choices list

2011-01-08 14:47:37

I actually do have plans about getting an xp machine, and microsoft can go jump in a lake for what I care.

2011-01-08 17:19:35

your choice
you will probably have to convert it to xp

2011-01-09 17:46:39

Well, first things first.
Dark:
You can actually read MS word documents on the Mac. In fact, apple have such a great program built in, that it basically shuts ddown office. They have office for Mac, but honestly, who the hell would want it. Its not accessible to start with, and its esentially buying a Mac, and going back to Microsoft.
A lot of my sighted friends even hate windows 7. Its honestly the biggest pile of crap. I started my computing days with an old win 98 machine. I can honestly say that it was probably the most stable OS. In fact, it was so good that it took me up until 2006 to upgrade to XP.
Next thing.
I honestly don't even know why Microsoft bothered to put narrator in the system. Instead of making it better, they've made the thing worse. It was pretty good in Win 2K, but they keppt breaking it as later OS's came out. Wait, OS's? I don't like the sound of that. Bla.
I've never bothered to buy Jaws myself, seeing as my school transfered their lisence to me. There is no way in hell that I would pay 1000 bucks or what ever it is these days, just to use a computer that is now hardly accessible. In fact, all the newer programs have gotten so bad, that I downgraded all of them on my Win 7 machine.
Office from 2007 to 2003
Windows live to MSN messenger 7.5
Skype 5.0 to 3.8 (That didn't work so well, and I eventually had to stick with 5)
I would downgrade to XP, but much to my great sadness, my netbook doesn't really like XP anymore. So much so, that it won't install.
The only bright side I saw to the hole Windows thing, was Jaws 12. It was actually the best version of Jaws since 6.20 in my oppinion.
Also, the fact that Microcrap have removed all their clasic view options disgusts me greatly. I watched my sister (Who is also a blind user) go through all her display options, and turn off a bunch of shit that really is quite useless. But seriously, my thoughts on all the animations that Windows has now days. If you want to watch animated things, go watch Naruto or something.
Finally.
As for the programs not running in Mac, there is an easy way to get around this. I don't do this personally myself, but if you really wanted to, you could fusion your Mac with Windows, or install Windows through Boot Camp, which basically lets you duel boot.
Anyway, I'll shut up and stop filling up your screens now.
Long live Apple! smile

2011-01-09 19:49:11

hi,
you can turn off all uh, most animations by setting it for best performance in performance options
and yeah live essentials 2011 is soo crappy
the ribbon! that bloody ribbon!
yeah programs tend to get inaccessible even avira started to go inaccessible
my current programs
office 2003
avira antivir 9.0
windows live messenger 2009
jaws 11
i hate to say this but i have no choice but to crack jaws
because i have no sponsorship in this country
and the price is waaay to much for a screen reader
my other programs are freeware
whenever microsoft posts a new application it gets worse and worse and worse

2011-01-12 00:19:05

Actually, Mac or apple was it was voted first, and microsoft are third. They are just bloody morons, idiots, and all Bill Gates cares is about money, money, money. Heck, if he earned £5000000, he'd be able to live for the rest of his life. I hope Microsoft are down, and Bill Gates loses his job big time.

2011-01-12 00:37:16

Guys, I'm afraid I have to show my ignorance again lol.  I've seen more and more posts comparing different screen readers and I honestly don't know how they work or exactly what they do.  I've never used one before and I'm only assuming I know what they do.  Clearly posts like enes' tell me that some must be expensive, but are others cheap or free?  I'm completely new to this so please forgive me for sounding like an idot.  lol smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-01-12 03:39:57

Hello, Aprone,

I've just sat down, and wrote something about JAWS for you to get started learning about screen-reading programs. OK, then, let's go!

JAWS, the most popular screen-reading software among the blind community, is as flexible as a user wants. (Just my idea). This flexibility makes JAWS incredibly expensive rather than its competitives (It is about $1000).
Although it works with many programs without any further configuration, JAWS also has a built-in scripting language, which adds automation and programmability. This means that a user who knows the JAWS scripting language well can make most of the programs accessible for them. You can find many scripts that have been written for JAWS by googling 'JAWS scripts' on the internet. That's all for now. smile

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-01-12 05:02:41

The screen readers that I'm familiar with are Jaws, Connect out loud (a watered-down version of jaws that only works on the internet and basic programs like notepad and CD player), Window Eyes (I've only used it very briefly and don't know much, but it felt similar to Jaws), and PW Web speak (basically a talking web browser that I'm pretty sure was archaic ten years ago).

Jaws costs close to $1000US, with a demo version for free that you have to restart every forty minutes. I've found that some demos expire, and others don't (I've been using a demo of jaws 3.7 on my windows 98 computer for seven years... but the computer won't boot any more. sad. Same version of jaws running on ME for about as long. I've had jaws six and seven expire on XP, though.).
Connect Out Loud gives you twenty four hours of demo, then runs for ten minutes, sleeps one minute, then runs for another ten minutes.
I've noticed no restrictions with the free version of PW Web speak, but it is pretty old, so it crashes with something as simple as wikipedia.

I only had Connect out loud on the 98, and would basically use it as an extention of Jaws when the demo would run out and I was in the middle of something in one of the supported applications. The minute sleep wasn't quite as bothersome as the restarting the computer every forty minutes, so sometimes I would use COL for days if I was working in wordpad.
On the computer I primarily use, I have only the demo of jaws 10 and PW. I don't use PW much, but I've pulled it out a couple times lately when I'm in the middle of posting here and jaws dies.

I recall reading that in South Africa, Jaws is over $9000.
Unfortunately, Jaws is pretty cheap compared to most accessibility products out there. Especially books; braille textbooks cost about as much as my tuition (which is in itself expensive...)!

The Trecker Breeze costs about a thousand dollars, and so far it seems to be about as good as the average forty-dollar GPS people put in their cars. And mine seems to have died somehow, after only a few months...

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-12 07:49:14

Wow Ccae. There's some old program names I haven't heard of in years, obviously because they are now redundant. I ended up giving my Win 9X computer to a friend.'I'll ask them one of these days if the thing still runs like it use to, if indeed at all. I used a demo of Jaws 3.2 for about 5 years, before deciding to upgrade. I would mainly use it for midi sequencing and the likes, with an old program called Midi Tab Express or something along those lines. I actually have a new Netbook that I got today, that's currently charging itself. I'm tossing up whether or not to upgrade the SMA to Jaws 12. I'm very tempted, as like I said before, its actually quite decent. It works a treat with Vipmud, especially when on miriani or something like that, and I'm in a fight or something.

2011-01-12 16:16:38

this is getting off topic!
start a new topic for this in my opinion
we are discussing microsoft here

2011-01-13 14:55:34

Well, then, here's an email I got a few minutes ago:

Dear Messenger User,
We have just released a new version of Messenger which includes important security updates to help keep you and your friends safe while you chat online. All Messenger users will be required to have the latest version to continue using the service.

More information is available

I don't think I've ever updated messenger without it losing jaws compatibility. So I really don't wanna... >.<

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-01-13 15:50:59

I wouldn't bother, unless the thing forces you to update. I don't know if there is any compatibility tweeks you could do to windows live, seeing as it runs on all current systems to date, from XP
Sorry Enes, maybe it did get a little off topic there, but ya get the point.