2010-12-24 22:04:39

Hi.

the headphone sockit on my laptop has just broken completely. Everything else works fine, but this virtually makes the laptop of no use at all, sinse if I can't use headphones, I can't use it out and about, or even play audio games or music on it being as the toshiba default speakers aren't of sufficient quality (even when I can! use it on speakers).

I've enquired about getting it repared, but the repare cost wil be about the same as a new machine, so I might as well bbuy a new one, but this seems hugely pointless when it's only one sockit which has gone.

has anyone got an alternative? i've heard of usb headphone sockits, ---- do they exist, and if so what are they called? (the usb sockits all work fine).

sinse I can't play any games until this is fixed, I'd really! appreciate some advice.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-12-25 01:23:05

there's nothing like a "USB headphone socket." there are, however, USB soundcards which do indeed have their own audio jacks. And then there are of course USB headphones.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2010-12-25 17:58:40

Hmmm, how much muckin about would a usb soundcard take? also how much to buy?

this is probably going to be just a temporary mneasure as I'll probably look into getting a new laptop later, but stil I'd rather this one worked in the mean while.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-12-25 18:50:36

o man, its nothing dark!
plug it in, then change your output in controll pannel to that sound card, then your done!
also, you can get a  soundcard, a cheap one for £20.

2010-12-27 09:16:03

That is if Windows doesn't automatically shift your output, it did that when I was using USB headphones until the headphones bust.

Very easy fix in any case.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-12-27 19:01:40

thanks. I'll look into it.

i was going to see about sorting that today, but a bout of flue has got in the way unfortunately, this is also why i haven't written any news about bgt sinse I'm not precisely feeling creative at the moment.

Also i went and deleted Philip's mail with the changelog, ---- woopps!

2010-12-27 20:39:51

Sorry to hear about the bad headphone socket, but I'm glad to hear people have suggested some inexpensive workarounds.  If I could get my teleporter to work I'd zap on over and fix your laptop myself.  Just kidding about the teleporter big_smile.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2010-12-28 04:31:49

Hope you start feeling  better soon, Dark. If Philip e-mailed you privately with the change log, you can browse the BGT forums on the blastbay web site even as a guest and search for the appropriate topic among the recently active ones. The present change log is posted there.
HTH,
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2010-12-28 15:41:12

Nope, the changelog was sent to the audeasy list, and as usual with bgt updates I'd prefer to post the hole of it in the news so people know what's going on, but ah well, I'm sure philip will post anything important on this forum as he usually does.

Aprone, given the crazy devices and things you've developed, a teleporter would hardly surprise me too much ;D.

I'll certainly be looking into some sort of usb option, but this has also brought home to me the fact my laptop is! five years old, has traveled around most of england pluss to Egypt and Itally, and something else is likely to go at some point.

so, I'll probably look at getting another one, ---- especially sinse if I get one now I can stil have windows xp provided I ask, --- and no I do not want windows 7 at all, not with it's annoying interface and lack of backwards compatibility.

I'll probably go with toshiba, sinse their a make I trust, and I know their laptops work well.

any suggestions of a good quality soundcard would however be much appreciated, ---- it's a while sinse I've been computer shopping.

At least this will also get me more drive space on my laptop, having only 32 gb has become a bit of a pain of late.

2010-12-28 23:16:01

Windows 7 is not tat bad, I would say. I got it on a laptop a week ago and am only still learning it but it seems quite friendly. Haven't encountered any major backwards compatibility issues yet though.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2010-12-28 23:20:38

i'm afraid I've heard of quite a few, especially with games, and even more especially with particularly old games. I would guess a good quarter of the games I have wouldn't work under windows 7.

I know the interface is navicable, but I personally much prefer setting things out in folders as I want them, rather than those context sensative and most recently used stupidities which microsoft stick everywhere, in fact friends of mine with perfectly working vision have complaind about the windows 7 interface.

toshiba however will stil sell windows xp laptops on request (my brother bought one abou six weeks ago), and while this option is stil open i'd prefer to take it.

2010-12-28 23:46:42

Dark, another option is to buy whichever laptop you like and just install Windows XP on it.  I've done this in the past although right now I'm forcing myself to stick with the windows 7 that came with my new laptop.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2010-12-29 01:01:58

I'm not sure how possible that would be Aprone, sinse screen readers generally need windows to run, and I doubt microsoft have included such a thing as an accessible installation option.

Once windows is installed, i'd have no problem installing Hal, sinse it's install is self voicing and all i'd need to do is bang in the cd, but installing windows might be a problem (especially sinse I'd be concerned about getting something wrong).

toshiba is the make I'd choose anyway, sinse I've found their laptops to be the best out of the ones I've tried (acer was down right horrible!), so buying from them and getting xp just seems an extra bonus.

2010-12-29 01:08:57

not sure about windows 7, xp doesthe job for me, but if you want a good soundcard, look into the lexicon alpha
i'm ordering one tomorrow, hopefully!

2010-12-29 01:39:59

Thanks robla I'll have a look.

I'll probably ring toshiba directly sinse obviously i won't need a particularly good graphics card for my laptop at all, pluss I don't particularly mind about size (my deffinition of what is portable is rather different from other people's).

As to windows 7, I've not actually found anything I'd need it for thus far, where as upgrading would as I said, cause me lots of problems, so that's why I'm sticking with xp, ---- it seems though that I'm in no way the only person making this choice, lots of people are too.

2010-12-29 03:02:37

Well, Dark, you are definitely right about Acer laptops, I can confirm that out of experience. LOL
I have seen others but am now proudly using a Lenovo Thinkpad and am really absolutely satisfied with it...
Well, people said the same about Vista, and even more and even worse things than they say about 7. Everyone I know who got 7,even visually impaired people, praised it so far, so I let myself be reassured by that, put my concerns aside and went for it, as I would have to do just that eventually, anyway. So far, I am not disappointed and have not encountered any problem that I could not solve yet. Sure, it is quite surprising in many ways and I have to get used to the new interface, but it's not that bad. I have customized the start menu, desktop and whateverI could find so far to be as similar to what I am already familiar with as possible, and running NVDA in combination with Window-Eyes for what NVDA alone is unable to read, I am feeling almost at home now after about four days of using the system. This is just my personal experience to make everyone who is still considering this issue even more confused. LOL
Lukas

2010-12-29 08:16:56

I suspect that Windows 7 has gotten such popular feedback largely because of how terrible Vista was--It's hard for a giant developer like Microsoft to take it any further downhill...!

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2010-12-29 11:32:10

I don't know. I have managed to put up with its new layout and it seems to work wonderfully quickly and stably for me, but that's just me. Yeah, a few of the games out there will not work with 7 right out of the box, but you know, when developers use VB6 and Directx7 and other outdated technology like that, there is really no wonder about that, and I think they could still be made to work. when I encounter such a game, i will try to tamper with it and see how it goes.
Lukas

2010-12-29 16:23:16

Well often it's not the developer's fault for using vb6 etc, sinse at the time the games were made that was the latest technology, it's just that they haven't been updated sinse.

the only dev I can think of who stil does is Jim kitchin, and he includes the vb6 components with his installer.

I'm more concerned about games like world of legends and fallthru which run in the console window, sinse as far as I know 7 doesn't have one.

This is also no counting a couple of very special graphical games I own such as original pc turrican 2, ---- though I can't play these on a laptop anyway.

I think Cae might be right on this, that 7 is just better than vista, but that's not really hard.

myself, I'll probably only considder upgrading when something I wish to do cannot be done with xp, and thus far I haven't found anything.

in fact, I know quite a few people who have made the same decision, frankly we didn't really need a new version ofwindows, it's just microsoft trying to force their products onto people which has caused this hole business.

2010-12-29 20:35:31

All right, I see what games you mean. Well, I wanted an IBM Lenovo laptop, so 7 was my only choice, unless I want to switch over to Linux or something, which I really don't feel like at the moment. So far, I'm more pleased than disappointed. the system is a lot more stable, it's faster and more crash-proof than XP.
Lukas

2010-12-30 09:58:13

I have an MSİ laptop, it's working very good. also, it's provided with windows vista and I'm installed windows xp.

2010-12-30 11:29:34

Hi Fatih,
As I understand, he mean his headphone problems, not his laptop's oparating system.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2010-12-30 20:27:01

Well, much of the slowdown and crashes can be reduced with a good fix program. In fact after running avg pc tune up my desktop is running as fast as it did when i got it and never crashing at all.

I haven't really got the ram on this laptop to run avg, which is why i haven't bought licesnes, but that would be another improvement of getting a new machine.

2010-12-30 21:10:53

I have a xp laptop with survice pack 3. It is windows xp pro, and is an hp brand.
I think with all the feedback i've heard about windows 7, i'd much rather stick with xp, wich is more than enough to meat my needs.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-12-30 23:50:09

That's my thought as well briant.

officially microsoft will stop supporting xp in 2014, ----- orrather, tat's when they'd like to stop everyone using it, but if the same thing happens as with 98, it'll probably be a good while after that before something turns up which can't be done with it.

In fact, I ran a laptop with windows 98 right up until 2005, and I think it was only in 2003 when I found something which actually required xp or 2000.

I expect if I buy a new laptop now and it lasts me another five years, we might just about be getting to the point where something windows 7 only will come up.