2010-12-21 23:14:44

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if there is an acsessable player for windows that works with jaws and is allso capable of playing .ogg files?
Thanks,

Daniel

2010-12-22 00:34:39

You can try winamp. it can be found at winamp.com. It works with jaws and it will play .ogg files.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-12-22 02:12:42

Sinse Og is I believe winamp's proprietory format, winamp is your best bet there.

Also, for personal preference Winamp is my favourite bog standard media player in windows, not the least because with a couple of plugins it can play some of the more exotic video game music formats.

About the only time I use other programs is windows media player or wripping cds and klango for podcast subscriptions, but certainly I find winamp best for everything else.

It works flawlessly with Hal, and I'd be most surprised if it didn't with jaws.

You can find The winamp homepage here

And, in case it'd be helpful here is The direct download link for the latest version.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-12-22 04:45:22

ok thanks CW, will try that.
Thanks again,

Daniel

2010-12-22 04:59:12 (edited by daniel 2010-12-22 06:09:25)

and how would I add the ogg files or open them?
Oh, and allso, what packages do I need?
Thanks!

2010-12-22 12:13:44

people do say that winamp is accessible with jaws,and I haven't seen anything inaccessible with it,but I don't know what it does.All I know to do with winamp is play songs,and fast forward the song,and to rewind.What else can one do with it?are there some shortcut keys that work  with jaws and winamp?
Thanks.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2010-12-22 14:05:26

no daniel.

If you download the bog standard winamp light setup, that will automatically associate og files with the program, you won't need any other dependencies or similar.

In winamp's preferences (ctrl p), there are various options, such as automatically associating winamp with file types like mp3 so that they will play by default in winamp if you press enter on them in windows explorer.

Various other things are available in the installer, such as a winamp toolbar for your brouser, but these aren't necessary, you just need the program (I personally didn't install any of the other stuf).
Now Grryf, as to fun things winamp does.

Firstly, it's got very useful shortcut keys, (just check in the alt playing menue), and can quickly do things like skip to a specific time in a track (great when listening to audio books), or set time skip.

All useful functions are there, such as instantly raising or lowering volume with up and down arrows, playing folders, files, or urls (winamp streams stuff including radio stations pretty well), with easily available shortcuts.

It is also possible to defign global shortcut keys, so you can play winamp in any other program anywhere, and even to control it from other programs (the way rail racer and mushclient do).

As a bonus, winamp is one of the least ram heavy programs out there, so you can run it while doing innumerable other things (I frequently run winampwhile p0laying games, copying files, or even wripping cds with windows media player).

For me, the best thing about winamp is it's ability to use plugins to  play a hole range of music formats, including m4B aple compression format, and innumerable game formats like spc snes format,   Jim mega drive format, psf playstation format etc.

I think overall the thing I like best about  winamp is ot so quickly and easily replicates the functions of a cd player. None of  this mucking about with complex interfaces, or having to go through playlists and libraries (though it has functions if you wish), and none of the annoying interface issues as in windows media player.

Just stick it on, and press keys.

I hope this explains what's so good about it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-12-22 14:31:30

hi,
I am using bs.player and winamp.
Hope this helps

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2010-12-22 21:23:23

ok thanks so much dark!

2010-12-22 22:50:57

you could also try foobar wich is great

2010-12-23 02:35:40

Your welcome daniel, anything else you wish to know, just ask.

Is there anything particularly special about foobar robler?

i've heard of it, but never really been tempted to try it.

2010-12-23 06:49:59

Thanks.Off to try the fungtions now.=d

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter