2010-12-05 02:33:50

hello,

I just wanted to know whether there are any web designers on this forums who have no sight? If so, what do you use to make the design, how do you work out where everything goes? and most importantly what do you use to design the websites in the end. I have tried many template software, content management etc, but none have been able to provide me with a feel for what content is where.

Please could someone make some suggestions?

2010-12-07 03:09:18

... Well, what I have isn't suggestions so much as what I did, which I fear won't be very helpful.

My website's current main page was made using Microsoft Powerpoint 97, which has a decent interface with Jaws.
The problem is that when I converted it to HTML, the whole thing got turned into an image that was resized with disastrous results, which I confirmed by getting someone to look at it for the half a second it took to reveal that it looked terrible.
I was able to replace the image with a better quality version by pasting the powerpoint slide into mspaint, but my attempt at moving the hotspots for the links apparently didn't work quite right. Hence, I added a row of buttons to the top of the page (with just in-line html).
Fortunately, the only people who actually use that page know how to navigate it, so all's well.

I've been meaning to redo the whole thing for a couple years, now. I've gone so far as to do some planning for a layout redesign... but I just haven't gotten around to actually doing it.

The thing that kills my attempts is... I just don't like CSS.
Microsoft's tools get increasingly complicated and difficult to edit after publication.
I like to code everything by hand.
And... well... CSS is a lot of redundant font information that is meaningless to me.
I think CSS can be used to help position layers and things. But I generally think of it as the font master of web2.0. So CSS and I don't get along very well.

So, yeah... I'm sorry this wasn't helpful. sad

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2010-12-11 12:24:03

for me, if i'm making a site mainly for VI people, i don't even bother with css, so i just code plane html in notepad.
and of course, there's things like wordpress out there too.

2010-12-11 12:35:24

I've generally used notepad when I've made sites, though mostly it's been very basic stuff nothing too big. I gather Microsoft Word can create HTML as well, it's a lot closer to proper web development than using either Powerpoint or Publisher but the HTML will still be a mess. I also gather DreamWeaver was at least attempted to be made accessible but I don't know how well that worked, or how much it would cost.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-12-11 16:28:55

i think wordpress is totally accessible!

2010-12-11 16:41:16

Wordpress is very accessible but something i'm never sure of is how it looks to the sighted user. Because when your reading something with say jaws, it only looks like a list.

2010-12-12 09:43:05

I tend to like using tables because it's easier to tell what's where, but tables are definitely out of style in terms of site design these days.
I'm extremely hesitant with divs for the same reason--I can put numbers into the position element, but that doesn't mean it's going to show up where I want it to on the page. sad

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2010-12-12 16:10:28

Simple rule, ignoring "fashions" which come and go, use HTML tags as they were intended. If something is a table use a table, if it's a list use a list. Fads come and go but good web design is always good web design.

I'll note that even many "professional" web designers don't seem to follow best practices.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.