2010-11-30 13:18:25

Hi there, this is Sabrina here with a folow-up episode of what I call "Strange Errors". This time it's about windows 7. I can't browse the folders in the explorer very well, because when I do Explorer crashes and I can't open any folder untill I restart. I find this quite odd and I can't find any solution. I have never heard of anything like this happening at all, though I've heard even weirder stuff. The dvd-breaker for example. Someone put their disc in the drive and closed it. Some time passed and then he heard that regular acceleration... but then it started going whoom-whoom-whoo'om-whool and then there was a sound like a crystal glass shattering and the disc came flying out, broken. That was odd. I also have a friend who had a computer that just restarted over and over again without any aåparent reason. And my girlfriend once got a harddrive crash. It sounded like a flying motorcycle that was diving into a toilet and someone flushed. It was something like "Wromm A-pououch" or something. Oh, I think I'm a bit crazy. Maybe I should sleep. Seriously though I can't easily solve this problem. I open explorer and I choose the folders, but when I'm browsing, and especially music folders but also others, it just crashes and doesn't at all respond. Okay, long strange post almost done.
Hermione: If you see this I would like to know more about both your PC with windows XP and your Cymbian Phone. If not it will be hard to help you.

I live to crochet!

2010-11-30 15:24:49

Hi.

If you can brouse and open the folders with other programs, such as word or music players, then it sounds like it could be a display problem in windows explorer.

Unfortunately though, I don't know enough about the display modes in windows 7 to make any suggestions (especially because the display in windows 7 has some very loopy things going on anyway).

That's assuming it isn't involved with user account permissions of course, sinse the vast majority of the problems I've ever had in windows have been caused by user accounts, and crashing when trying to view/open folders could be a permissions thing.

Sorry I can't be more help.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-12-02 20:01:35

You seem, as Dark said, to have a problem in windows explorer, but it can be a virus too. This seems very odd, as I've never heard it before. Also the problem I'm having is that my phone can't read SIM-cards and it keeps starting in offline mode. I have got an odd soundcard issue on my pc. The sound keeps fading in and out and it doesn't make a difference whether I use built-in speakers, external speakers or headphones. Hmm, maybe Sabrina and I could do a podcast called "Strange errors and where to find them" or maybe "Strange Problems and how to solve them"? Try opening the things you want to open in the program. This should prevent the errors from occuring. I can't be of much help for this except recommending you to go to the technician at school with it. He maybe can do this better than me. Also, try to think back and try to remember what happened. Did you install something recently? Could this installation somehow be the cause for your problem? Also a virus scan would be great, but I know you use to do that at least four times per day. Well, some errors are just very odd.

Sometimes the best you can doo is to forget. Don't waste your time with what already has been done, because then you wil just break down in the end.

2010-12-02 21:37:44

This problem with explorer here could be any number of things, a couple of which were mentioned here. Indeed, it could be a nasty virus having fun, or a bad interaction with the display or related components.
However, another thing to look into is the screen reader you currently use. Can you do it with another talking program without a crash in explorer, such as narrator? If so, try reinstalling your screen reader. I had a problem something like this with System Access from Serotek, but a repair installation did the trick.
However, if trying this doesn't fix it, it could be a registry problem. This area of Windows is constantly written to, and it's exceedingly easy for something to get either out of place or left out entirely. There's a thing built into Windows which not many know about; SFC (System File checker.) This usually does a reasonable job at finding and fixing problems with system files, and it's at least worth a shot if nothing else works. Just type "sfc -scannow" in a command window, and the utility should do the rest.
still problems? Hope not!