2010-11-10 00:32:58

hey folks, so, i'm thinking of upgrading to premium on sryth, mainly because i love rpgs that have at least ok combat and such, unless anyone has any other good rpg suggestions which i'd love to hear.  What i'm asking is, from experience, what really good stuff do you get after upgrade? what i mean is, is it worth the price at the current moment? also, is it possible for me to use debit card, only i don't have pay-pal, and i'm not sure whether to get it or not. thanks again!

2010-11-10 14:37:52

Well I've been an Adventurer's Guild member for five years and I'd say it's more than worth the price. Twenty dollars a year for unlimited access to all current and future content within that time? I'd say it's pretty much worthwhile. I'm not sure about the payment thing since PayPal is the most convenient means for sites like that to collect the payment since it's just an instant transfer from your bank account. Don't worry though since you and you alone decide when to make the payment. It's not an automatic thing and the Sryth GM never sees that information. Renewing and maintaining your subscription is entirely within your control. That's what I love about the whole setup. And I've never had security problems with PayPal either.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2010-11-10 16:42:44

Bryan, I'm afraid that I disagree with that.

At first, I too had your opinion and I also thought that $20 was more than reasonable for a years access to premium content but at a point, after you have completed most of the quests, you cannot really advance without grinding, battling monsters to get experience to advance and to buy adventurer tocans which are necessary to get any weapons more powerful than the mr+22 sword (can't remember what it is called now, shiny something). I just wished that adventurer tocans weren't so important to complete the later quests. Though you get adventurer tocans as rewards, its not enough to get the sword that I want lol.

I might be entirely mistaken of course, as the GM does do updates and it has been years since I've last played. Bryan, do you know of other fantasy games like sryth?

2010-11-11 04:19:31

I think the focus on multi-player and competition is getting out of hand. I've stated this in a previous thread, now fairly old, but the problem has only gotten worse. I also think the difficulty is continually being scaled higher and higher, and that the average player who does not donate for adventurer tokens is being factored out of the equation as far as progress goes. I can't yet complete Lord of the Bronze Hall because my MR isn't 200+, and I think that's simply ridiculous considering this is a main storyline quest after PG VI.

I won't claim that the price isn't worth it, but what I'd do, were I you, is wait a little. It sometimes becomes worth it when blocks of good content come along - and they certainly do - but it's not an automatic "yes" for me anymore like it used to be.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2010-11-11 05:35:29

Agreed Jade. I also hate the fact that the game starts asking you to "donate" right after you bought the paid status. I thought that once I got the paid subscription, I wouldn't have to channel anymore money into Sryth but I was sadly mistaken.

The focus on multiplayer competition is about to get worse in my opinion, since on their news page, they are "testing a new multiplayer combat system.". I would rather the GM write more adventures that mortals without adventurer tocan weapons can handle, rather than coming up with more and more multiplayer combat scenarios. Ultimately, the people who are most rewarded are those with the best weapons.

2010-11-11 10:05:20

Hi Dan Z.

I haven't played sryth for one year now because I haven't had time to do so. Then I was an active player there, I really enjoy playing it and I find it more than worth the money. I've heard that the gamemaster is focusing more on multiplayer stuff and donating stuff which I think is sad, but I can't speak for that cause I haven't played it for a while.
I'll say though it's worth the money if you haven't subscribed before. There are awesome missions to complete which will make you busy for more than 3 munths I think. Most missions unlock new missions or new places to visit, so you'll find yourself searching for great missions all the time. So I'll say it's still more than worth the money.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2010-11-11 10:08:53

dan_c, I suppose it is a matter of opinion. If you don't mind buying hundreds of adventurer tocans to advance after you have complete all the AG missions you can, and if multiplayer combat is your kind of thing, then by all means, get the paid subscription.

2010-11-11 11:53:43

well, i may give it a go, i mean £10-15 for a year isn't bad at all to be honest, and even if i find it not worth it with all the multi-player and having to buy more tokens, its not like i'd have spent a load of money on it in the first place. i'll give the game another look though see if i'm still interested.

2010-11-11 16:44:56

I'll admit that the amount of multiplayer content is rather riddiculous since we're looking at a sixth scenario, andd to date only three of the current scenarios offer any real reward. From Tarramyre you get the FInger, from Ildraria we get the shards that let you eventually acquire the Wand of Dragonfire and from Ulgror you get the Tar Blobs that let you access the three gems. From Wurmwrit Farm  and Taldorus Redborn you get nothing beyond EXP and Battle Markers. So I hope this supposed Oakenking isn't going to be another one like that. And yes I do agree that the difficulty of new content has gotten out of hand and it's because of donating players. But it's thanks to players who've donated far more than I ever have. The game has flaws, I'm not denying that. But I disagree on it not being worth twenty bucks for a year's unlimited access. Maybe I'm biased, but I've seen no other fantasy game, and I mean NO other, that was either accessible or as engrossing as Sryth. And no, you don't HAVE to donate to the game, although maybe it does seem like that what with the Donate link being right at the top of every page. I'e thought about writing to the GM about that since while he has recently added a few adventures that do seem geared towards new players they have admittedly been outnumbered by the tougher ones. In fact my major complaint with Sryth, and others' as well, is the GM's tendency to create and begin interesting and compelling story arcs only to leave them hanging less than halfway done, often for years at a stretch. But I still feel the good points of Sryth far outweigh the bad. Every part of the game is more or less accessible and the writing of the stories is excellent. I've tried many other similar RPG's over the years and none of them is nearly as excellently written.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2010-11-11 17:05:27

Hmm I quit sryth becauese I simply couldn't progress any further without donating to increase my MR. I couldn't even survive most of the multiplayer combat scenarios lol. I did get the finger of dread but was nowhere strong enough to get the wand of dragonfire.

Yes, the descriptions and storyline is very well written. I just hoped that the GM would offer more missions geared towards non-donating AG members.

2010-11-11 20:43:19

I'm gonna be brutal for a moment here. Sryth's storyline is -decently well-written, but brilliant? Hardly. If you play everything fast, you'll notice the same-ness of the writing...or rather, I certainly did. There are certain phrases and turns of events that simply crop up too much for my taste. This wouldn't make me decide not to shell out the money, one way or another, but I think that people claiming Sryth is brilliantly written are going just a touch overboard. I will, however, admit that we don't have any games of its caliber to compare it to, and that it does have many good points. My only point, really, is just this: you can pay the money, however small it is to you, and be only somewhat satisfied, or you can wait, hope things change and go that route.

2010-11-11 22:50:14

All a matter of opinion I guess. I just happen to think it is, in fact, brilliant. As I said it's the ONLY game I've played that's consistently held my interest in the six years I've played it. That does qualify as brilliant in my book. We'll just have to agree to disagree. And I'm more than somewhat satisfied when I renew my subscription. And Victorious you don't in fact have to donate to complete the multiplayers, well Ulgror perhaps but not Ildraria. Part of it of course has to do with the numbers you roll when you create your character since they determine your starting stats, which in turn determine your starting MR and SP. But I've never had to donate to complete the multiplayers. In fact I don't donate often and I do just fine. So it's definitely doable. As I said my biggest complaint isn't the multiplayers (although do we really need a sixth one?) but the loose ends and the snail's pace the GM seems to have adopted when tying them up. But it's not enough to make me not want to shell out twenty bucks every October to keep my account active. Just be glad you weren't around four years ago, when we would go MONTHS without even a small update. These days we'll go a few weeks or even a month or two but the updates have come much, much faster than they did at the time I joined Sryth.

2010-11-12 04:52:03

Hmm I remember there was a sword that you needed 3 gems to unlock its full power. Has he completed those quests to get them yet?

Also, I've noticed that some players from the hall of fame have perfect stats. How do they achieve that? Do they get that from AT tocans? I once tried for several hours to roll till I got perfect stats but I ain't that lucky tongue

2010-11-12 14:31:41

Perfect stats also take into account the gear you're wearing. I suppose it's possible to roll a perfect 20 out of the box but I'd imagine it's very very difficult. I tried, and got one or two 20s short.

In any event, I personally have only donated enough to buy my subscription and have been able to complete almost everything there is so far, including the Wand of Dragonfire quest, but that's because I had great stats and knew -exactly what to spend my available adventurer tokens on. I'd like to say I pretty much know the game inside out.

2010-11-12 14:35:35

What did you spend it on? It has been so long since I've since played. I think I used it for quickstone and a residence and I think the grey circle or was it something else that required adventurer tocans to access.

2010-11-22 16:30:56

hi. sorry, but how do i travel from land to land? i know there is the travel command, but i cant for the life of me at the moment figure out how to get anywhere. sad