2010-09-20 23:50:41

Does anyone know how accessible google voice is? Is there any catch that I need to know about? I know that there is free US calling, but what does google get out of this? The same as my EMail?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-09-21 14:11:07

what's google voice?

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2010-09-21 21:54:54

Well, google says that it is one phone number that can ring all your phones. It can give you free voice mail, and free or cheep calling. Go here to get more info.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-09-22 01:25:28

Hi,
What you're refering to is the GMail calling. This is different from Google Voice. Google Voice is a phone number you set up with Google that can forward to your home or mobile phone. The GMail calling feature is where you are able to call US numbers from Google.

GMail calling, a spin-off of Google Voice, can be done using a screen-reader--at least the major ones, I have not been able to make it work using NVDA.

To call someone using your GMail account, go to google.com/talk or google.com/voice, I can't remember which, and download the Video and Audio Chat plug in. Next, log in to your GMail account, and switch to standard view if you are using basic HTML. Next, locate the "Chat" link. Click that link, and you will see an item on the next page that will say "Call phone." Left click that with your mouse keys, and type the phone number you want to dial, no dashes or parentheses. Then press ENTER. If all goes well, you will hear it ringing. When the other person answers, you can talk to them using your microphone.

2010-09-22 01:37:36

I think you can also have it set that if someone calls your google voice number while you are loged in to gmail and gmail will ring. I also know that GVMobile for the IPod Touch and IPhone is out. how well does SMS work threw google voice? Do I have to have any text that is sent to my google voice sent to my phone?

DropBox Referral

2010-09-22 09:41:24

[wow] this is a good teknolojy, but İ dont kno to how using this program. because İ haven't a  mobile fone.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2010-12-22 20:54:02

hi.  so i just installed that google plug-in for gmail, now i'm wondering, it says free calls to US, so does this mean that i'll be able to call my American girlfriend's mobile from England?

2010-12-23 00:01:14

I don't know if that would work because your IP address would be based in England. Don't quote me on that though.

2010-12-23 00:12:48

i don't think it does. i just wish i had a way of calling her though. sad any ideas?

2010-12-23 03:26:28

Hey man, i am in a long distance relationship as well so i know how you are feeling. I would recomend either getting long distance service with the phone provider you are using at home or get a cell phone with free long distance.

2010-12-23 20:01:32

well, apparently o2 have international calling bundles or something, i'll check that out. i'm moving from my current one too anyway asap, because its pretty poor to be honest.

2010-12-23 21:19:43

Most phone providers I've seen limit you to free international calls within the eu, but not outside it unfortunately (I got something of a bill for only making short calls to my parents when i was on holiday in Egypt).

I'd personally recommend skype, I've chatted to a friend of mine in the Us with that for nothing at all, as well as other people in other places, ----- though i've recently been having skype problems and I'm not sure whether it's because my usb mike has died, or because skype 4 is being inconvenient (skype 3 was great for access, but 4 seems much less so)..

I'd personally recommend that as a long distance chat option rather than phone.

Btw, before anyone asks, I'm afraid I prefer to keep all my skype details private, though sinse I'm on so rarely it probably doesn't matter.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-12-24 02:20:59

ah, we use skype, its just irritating to relye on one service. oh and my uncle can call dubai with o2, i think it depends on what you ask for.  most companies however don't do any calling outside the EU.  skype is having problems anyways, however they're being fixed. it crashed or something apparently

2010-12-24 02:47:01

What is skype's main purpose? I have never used it.

2010-12-24 14:42:08

Skype can do various things, but the two main things it does are real time text chat and voice chat if you have a microphone.

I used both when skype three was working correctly, though generally i found skype most useful as a voice chat client, and was able to talk to a friend of mine in hungary and another couple of people in the us, including one friend of mine I met in my first year of uni who went back to chicago and is now a doctor of physics over there.

I was also able to have conference calls as well, with three or four people at once from various parts of the planet, which was a hugely useful thing.

The text chat bit i didn't find quite as good as something like m irc, or chat in muds etc, but I can recommend the voice chat.

You can also use skype to directly send files to other people over the net while chatting, and (i'm told, though have never done this), also allow someone else remote access to your computer if you wish, ----  a friend of mine once talked about it as an option for fixing some teck problems I was having (though bare in mind this takes some setting up and tinkering to do, and certainly couldn't be used without your permission).

the only bad thing is skype 4 seems less accessible than skype 3 (when i tried it I had problems finding the answer call button), though I'm not certain whether the problems I was having with it were because my usb microphone has died or because of the program itself.

I'll need to test another recording program with the mike I think, though being as it's not  a program I use especially often it's not a major priority.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)