2010-08-31 10:14:16

Hi all,

I thought you might be interested in a new audio game the company I work for (DESQ) has just developed as a co-production with the BBC. I've included below a press release the BBC produced.

Legacy

A Unique multi-platform drama for BBC Radio 7 from BBC Scotland
www.bbc.co.uk/radioscotland/legacy

A unique multi-platform drama, Legacy, produced by BBC Radio Scotland's Drama department will transmit in two-parts from Sunday, August 22 on BBC Radio 7.

Set above and below the streets of London, Legacy combines a two-part radio drama and an online adventure game to tell the story of Jules and Harry, two 20-something siblings coming to terms with their family’s shocking past.

Shortly after the death of their grandmother Rose, twins Harry and Jules are clearing out the contents of her attic prior to the arrival of the executor of her will. Stumbling around in the gloom they come across a cryptic message hidden on an old gramophone record. Speaking to them from beyond the grave, Rose tells her grandchildren that theirs is an important legacy and that only by following the clues she’s left for them will they discover the secrets hinted at in the recording.

Thoroughly familiar with Rose’s eccentricities – their own childhood was littered with the strange treasure hunts she used to set for them – the twins resolve to head off one last time and uncover their mysterious inheritance.

The Legacy game is an audio-led adventure that focuses on Harry’s adventures. It will be available on the BBC Radio Scotland website - www.bbc.co.uk/radioscotland/legacy - from Sunday 22nd August and is made by games producer DESQ. Jules’s story is told through a two-part accompanying radio drama broadcast on BBC Radio 7. The two stories interweave, supporting each other and giving new insights into the characters and locations of the Legacy universe.

The radio drama airs on BBC Radio 7 on Sunday 22nd August and Sunday 29th August at 6.30pm (repeated later at 12.30am). Both episodes will be available on the iPlayer (bbc.co.uk/iplayer) and will be broadcast again on BBC Radio Scotland on Friday 17th September and Friday 24th September at 11.30am.

2010-08-31 13:24:02

Hi!
today I tried the game legacy, but if I have to select something, nothing happens. I already unloaded my screen reader but it's the same. What can that be?

Greetings,
Janagirl!

2010-08-31 13:39:16

i have the same problem.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2010-08-31 14:16:44

janagirl, bucklee12, you will definitely need to turn off your screenreaders, not everything can be picked up, some need objects combining with them, others can be interacted with.

Use x to pick something up, c to combine what you are carrying with another object and v to interact with an object.

If you let me know more specifically what you are trying to do I'll try to be of more help.

2010-08-31 16:29:15

if you guys are on firefox, after you turn off your sr, try hitting tab to focus the flash control, then it should take input.
I really love the game and I definitely love the humor, especially the line where you break the vaze open!
I am actually intending to not search or ask for hints, I'll just say I'm stuck on chapter 3, and, hopefully, I can find a way to proceed.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2010-08-31 16:32:45

Hi pitermach, glad to hear you like it, good luck with level 3!

2010-08-31 17:15:47

Hi sicknewt,
as I said, I turned of my screen reader. Hmm, and as I said, I can do nothing. It says to select an option by using the cursor keys. If I press any cursor keys, nothing happens.

Greetings,
Janagirl!

2010-08-31 17:26:21

Hi janagirl,

As pitermach said you need to tab until you get focus on the game, then you can use the left and right arrow keys to start playing.

2010-08-31 19:39:54

Hi,
I really like the game, but one thing that is annoying is the lack of navigation features. Shades of doom has a bunch of helpful features, for instance, "Have I visited here before."
Also, I'm hopelessly stuck on chapter 2. The fact that you can only pick one object up at a time is both good and bad, and the bad point is that you endc up dropping objects, as i've done, and not remembering where they are.
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
p
a
c
e
Am I correct in thinking that you need the paper clip for the shaft? because if so, then I've lost it while finding other objects. Seriously, this game is great, but it actually has a lot of floors in it. I know this is a first attempt, but you linked to audiogames.net, why didn't you download and try some of the games in the game list, look at their readme files (I'm especially thinking navigation features here)? I know the game is quite a simple concept and I like it, but I also think that a few of these features seriously wouldn't go amiss. Even as simple as a compass.

2010-08-31 19:42:19

I can't get the left and right arrows to work in the beginning of the game. When it says pick an option.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2010-08-31 23:57:39

Yeah, having the same problem. Can't even tab to it after turning off jaws. Ug.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2010-09-01 00:13:38

Yep, no go. Can't get to make a selection no matter how many times I tab with jaws off. This is why we don't make our games in flash, ladies and gentlemen.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2010-09-01 01:18:00

any NVDA help?
i'm stuck to

2010-09-01 09:14:23 (edited by sicknewt 2010-09-01 09:27:41)

Hi,

Sorry to hear some people are having trouble getting focus on the Flash, bladestorm360 thanks for helping out with instructions and glad you like it.

Thanks for suggestions for extra navigation features, definitely something to take into account if we are to make a sequel.

Spoilers follow...

aaron, no, the paperclip does not open the vent, you need to look for another tool.

bladestorm360, the code you were looking for is in the game and can be found in one of the vaults.

2010-09-01 10:02:06

bladestorm360, I've sent you an email to let you know where the code came from.

Yep, we hope there will be a sequel too!

2010-09-01 14:38:50

Hi,
I've had a realisation. Why is the hatchway in chapter 1 when it is not needed at all? I was looking for the ladder yet again and this time I couldn't find it. I think the ladder should be nearer to the grammaphone, not the hatch, because well, it's actually quite hard to find. they sound like they're in the same position but they're not. I can't even remember how I got out last time, if you ask me, it's luck. This is not good.

2010-09-01 21:43:55

Can you post the audio drama to sendspace as on iplayer it difficult to find ep 1 now?

2010-09-02 08:50:14

Hi all.

I tried the game yesterday, and wow it's awesome.
I can't get focus on the flash window on my windows machine running Jaws, and I've tried all your suggestions. I got pretty much pissed up because I would try the game, so I gave it a try on my Mac where I could easily get focus.
First I wanna say that I really don't need a navigation feature like a compas. That might be because I've got used to mainstream playstation games for normally sighted people, where I just navigate by using the sounds in the game. In Legacy I use the z key all the time to hear the describtion of each object, and I really love the feature.
I came to what seemed to be the last part of chapter two, and then it was very late, so I had to go to sleep. I can't wait to play it again later today, and hopefully, I write down my passcode correctly. I don't know much about the features in Flash, but it would be really nice if you could make a feature where the game put your passcode into your clipboard so you can paste it into a text file or a note.
I haven't heard the audiodramas yet, but I'll hear them wwhen I get the time.
Keep up the good work.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2010-09-02 09:18:11

Hi all,

frodow, unfortunately we can't put the audio dramas anywhere else. They are going to be broadcast again on Radio Scotland on Friday 17th September and Friday 24th September at which point it will again be on iPlayer for a week. There should be a link to this from the Legacy home page nearer the time.

SLJ, If you are using the same computer, when you go to 'Continue game' from the main menu you last passcode will be saved, making it easy for you to carry on from where you left off.

2010-09-03 07:46:27

i am on chapter six, what a game!! i need help can i somehow get in touch with the developer off list?

2010-09-03 08:45:46

I went to chapter 6 yesterday, but I didn't had time to complete the game. I must say this is one of the best audiogames I've tried. This is super awesome.
I didn't noticed the computer saves the pass code. When I press continue game from the main menu, it says please enter the pass code.
Regarding the focus issue, do you think it would help if the game opens in a new window which only contains the flash window?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2010-09-03 09:28:14

Frodow, where are you stuck in chapter six of Legacy?

2010-09-03 09:43:05

don't want to give too much away but i see one mental door, 4 levers one of which has a broekn handle and am stumped what to do. i assume this is the last chapter? i have read the hints wtih H but am trying to find the tape as well for the payer

2010-09-03 09:47:14

frodow, try interacting with the handles...

2010-09-03 09:47:37

I need help with all the codes for all 3 keypads in chapter 6, plese? send them by eamil, I am struggeling
[email protected]