2010-08-15 00:02:01

After the topic on USA Raceway it seems there is some confusion, I just want to clear this up a little.

This forum is owned and run by Richard and Senderman, they're good people but they are very busy with their jobs in the real world. Senderman seems to be the more technical of the two, dealing with the forum gubbins.

Dark and myself are just here to keep the spam down, and when we get around to it updating the database. We have neither the access nor the skills to fix technical issues on the forum.

If you see spam don't worry about reporting it unless it has stuck around a day or two, in which case me and Dark have probably missed it. On the other hand if someone is posting in a way you find offensive then go ahead and use the report link, it makes it easier for me and Dark to find these kind of problems. Personally I'm always on the look out for unfamiliar user names, they're most often spam but when they aren't it gives me the opportunity to welcome the new member. When it is a problem with familiar users I'm not as likely to check topics unless I have a personal reason to read that topic anyway.

Above all remember me and Dark are members just like you, we just have a few extra abilities to keep things clean and spam free. All members, moderator or not, are humans and deserve to be treated politely.

On a personal note I don't have much patience for people yelling at me directly on topics, least of all when it is about things with which I cannot control. If you want to suggest something you can always use the forum emailer, I don't mind just make sure the subject doesn't sound like spam.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-08-15 13:33:01

indeed, I don't remember who it was that yelled at you, but i was pretty annoyed in my mind. Thus when I posted in that topic, I was sure not to yell, just to say that if the forum could somehow be changed, sometime in the future, then it'd be better. I also know that moderators can't change forum spacifics, just close topics and such.

2010-08-15 21:51:00

I believe one of the yellers was Orin, I'd have expected him being a long time member to know that I'm only a moderator which is partly something that bugged me.

In any case I'm not especially mad I mostly just sought to clarify things.

Like I said the news room situation has been explained to Richard and Sander, they're just very busy and for all I know it might take some significant work to fix. Well maybe not hugely major but at least non-trivial. It was their decision to keep topics in the news room open not mine or Dark's, though I must admit I generally agree that being able to discuss things in there is and always has been very positive. The solution to my mind should come from fixing the front page news list and not removing the ability to post in the topics.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-08-16 12:04:40

Hi,
Yes, I definitely think that when richard and sanda get time they should concentrate on the front page rather than removing the ability to post.
I just wonder why it moves news posts to the top in the first place.

2010-08-16 18:11:03

Hi CX2,
Howcome hyper advanced audio gamers can post topics in the ag news room and I, as an advanced audio gamer can't?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2010-08-16 20:28:13

Hyper advanced audio gamers can't. Moderators and admins can post topics in the news room.

cx2
-----

2010-08-17 10:10:58

Youch! seems there has been some shenanigans going on in my absense. Being as I'm currently at a light opera festival, and that the wireless network enabled pub is no longer open during the day, getting online is less easy here sinse I'm relying on bt's btfon wireless network who aren't either particulary fast (hence my inability to download things), or reliable (very annoying sinse it stops me from playing online games at all).

Eitherway, what Cx2 says is true. He and I have neither the permission nor technical know how to fix any forum bugs, our job is mostly just squirting water on any potential flame wars, throwing spambots out of the window, and keeping things on the site fresh and interesting by updating the database and posting news.

As regards the news business well I've certainly seen other sites where news is regulated in terms of forum posts very well indeed, so it's probably just a miner issue and not worth worrying about, ---- besides, you can always see which topic is latest by using the "read more" link on the main page and looking at the topics in the news room itself which will always be in order of posting.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-08-18 17:02:31

Oh, Thanks dark, YAAGH.
YAAGH stands for you are a grate help.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2010-08-18 17:04:15

Oh, and cxt and drk, one more thing. Please moderate my mach1review topic, people are calling it a playthrough or demo and not a review! I put over 1 to 5 ours trying to make it!

My Github

2010-08-18 18:00:23

dude, off-topic

2010-08-18 18:43:01

Ethin, it really doesn't matter. So please stop with this. I would call it a walkthrough too because it isn't the whole game review. We are not being rude, just giving suggestions to you

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-08-18 23:48:12

oh and you don't talk.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2010-08-19 00:16:50

Ethen it isn't an insult it is a correction of label. A review by definition must involve a discussion of the thing you are reviewing, if you don't talk in it then it isn't a review.

There is nothing wrong with audio clips of games being uploaded at all, it just seems you didn't understand what a review is. This causes confusion among people who are expecting, well, a discussion of the game and they only get game play audio.

cx2
-----

2010-08-19 04:41:49

sorry, but i think this is spam

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-08-19 18:56:10

No! No! You can't do this to me! I am not a spambot!

My Github

2010-08-19 20:34:58

I wasn't talking about you. THe spambot is already banned

2010-08-19 22:34:34

Then who were you talking to?

My Github

2010-08-19 22:36:00

i was just pointing out a spam post

2010-08-19 22:48:36

I deleted the post of a spambot from this topic this morning, someone going by the name of 0 blacklist or similar.

Ethin, at times you really do seem somewhat over sensative, ---- generally this is a relaxed forum and the people on it are relaxed ad don't sling insults or accusations around (if they did, ---- they'd be in real trouble), so there really is no need to be constantly on the watch for that type of thing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-08-20 00:42:25 (edited by bryant 2010-08-20 00:45:05)

yep, that was the spam post i was talking about. Dark,  you do a terific job as a moderator. Keep it up.

2010-08-20 15:37:55

Well, I am extremely sorry. I just thaut everyone hated me and wanted me to just leave, now!

My Github

2010-08-20 15:41:56

So, everyboddy, I am sorry for being dissraspeckfull, its not ment to be hear! I just thaut  that I was a stoopid kiddo. So, I am so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so sorry. How I got to this? Its because on the entombed talk list, sorry to go off-topic), I was causing a debate and got suspended. I am waiting for unsuspenchion. Hopefully dark will do that. Kind regards,
Ethin.

My Github

2010-08-20 16:07:28 (edited by bryant 2010-08-20 16:11:32)

it's ok ethin, we don't hate you, and we forgive you. You are great to have on this forum

2010-08-20 20:26:54

Ethin, if you had been given a temporary ban you wouldn't have been able to post this.

As I say regularly the best way to apologise is to improve and generally take part.

cx2
-----

2010-08-20 22:38:51

Well I tryed that on the entombed talk group, and it didn't work. So cx2, what should I do? Dark said that he would unsespend me, but I just can't wait!

My Github