2010-08-07 17:14:20

I saw The Chronicles of Narnia on this site, and I'm wondering what yall think about it. Is the audio good? I know it is for children, so I was thinking about buying it for my sister and I might be tempted to listen to it myself, even though it is way below my age.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-08-07 17:27:21

i have seen the movie and i think the audio is pritty good. I have also red the books

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-08-07 17:52:59

I have read the books and seen the movie. What did they leave out when putting this in to Audiodrama or should I say dramatized audio? I know that some stuff was left out in "the lord of the rings" when it was put in to a radio format, but enough was there to follow the storry line quite well.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-08-08 12:43:18

It depends upon which audio dramas you get. i remember the old bbc radio collection ones they did back in the 1980's, with Steven thorn as Aslan, ---- those were pretty complete, more true to the books than the recent films (though that's hardly surprising). But a friend of mine mentioned more recent audio adaptations, though i'm not sure what they're like myself.

then, there was the bbc miniseries done in the late 80's (which i have on dvd), which is very true to the books indeed, though it misses out some difficult to film sections.

mostly the acting is different, especially as they have the kids at theiroriginal ages in the books, ---- ie, peter is 12, susan 11, Edmund 10 and Lucy 9 at the start of the lion the witch and the wardrobe.

The miniseries do have a very awsome white witch though,---- actually in some ways better than in the films, ---- sort of like a female version of Christopher lee.

As regards age cw, my own personal theory is that you've only truely grown up when you cease caring about age at all ;D, ---- that's one reason why you'll find bunches of students sitting around and watching the Transformers cartoon or disney films.

i in fact went to see Shrek 4 the other day and completely enjoyed it! ;d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-08-08 13:19:41

yep, shrek 4 is good. i have seen toy story 3, which was absalutely brilliant, but i thinkw e're going a bit off topic. i have the bbc version of the lion, witch and the wardrobe on a 2 disc cd.
it's pretty neet.

2010-08-08 15:01:22

Which bbc version out of interest aaron? the newer one done more recently, or the older one with Steven thorn as Azlan, and morrice Denham as the professer and narrator.

if it's the newer one, i'd be interested to know what it is likke, sinse.

As to films, I was indeed pleased with Shrek 4, especially the hole time change Dr. who type plot, that was actually rather cool, pluss I was amused by resistance leader fiona!

I've not seen toy story 3 yet, i'll probably wait, though generally speaking I'm not as much a fan of the disney pixar stuff, sinse it's more based on slap stick fast action than actually interesting or at least fun characters, witness films like monsters inc for example, though I did like both of the original toy story films, ---- especially sinse they were the big move into cg at the time.

I stil am a litle sorry though we don't get Disney musicals anymore, the Lion king is stil one of my favourite films ever!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-08-08 19:09:53

i actually really like the disney pixar stuff. monsters inc is one of the funniest ones. but, as for toy story 3, if you liked the first two you'll like this one, it's just as good.

2019-01-13 08:04:25

Wow, it is just amazing what you'll find on a random Google search! smile So I guess I'm digging this thread out of the very distant past. I actually don't remember being introduced to "The Chronicles of Narnia" until I was thirteen years old. My oldest niece, about four or five at the time, was living with me and my mom for the better part of a year. She was enrolled in preschool, and some days the kids would go to the library. One day, my niece had checked out "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" and my mom read a chapter to her every night before bed. I think she ended up reading the whole series to her, in a British accent, no less! smile Then for Christmas that year, I got one of the audio dramas done by Focus On The Family, on CD. Then I got the whole series, and that was my official introduction to C.S. Lewis's world of Narnia. To this day, I still think the Focus adaptations are the best. The movies were okay, but I was disappointed that some of the events in "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" were, for some reason, out of order in the movie. Yes, I'm picky. But hey, these are classic stories!

Anyway, I still enjoy the series and still listen to the CD's from time to time. It's way better than an audiobook just narrated by one person. A dry narration is just not the same. Of course, it all depends on who's doing the narrating and how good they are at capturing the story in question. And the same goes for dramatized audio; it depends on how well everything is put together: the acting, the music, the sound effects, etc.

2019-01-13 08:10:03

The Focus On The Family one was a surprise gift from my mother a few years ago. I didn't know about GraphicAudio back then, so I was tickled pink by the concept of an audio book that wasn't the same guy droning on and on and on. The sound design is less impactful than, say, GraphicAudio, such as the fact that footsteps sound much more halting and sometimes the audio isn't as refined as predone sound libraries are, but Focus On The Family makes their own sounds so it's actually pretty amazing. I have the collection now, and it's in a nice shiny collector's tin with a Map of Narnia included. The stories are loved by all, no matter the age, though as I've grown up I have realized that the books are a bit boring the older you are, and shorter, the longest one is about 3 hours, so you could listen to a book in the space of time it takes you to watch one of the Lord Of The Rings movies. I'd get it, the Focus On The Family one, that is. It's quite fun.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2019-01-14 05:19:58

I have the BBC ones and the Focus On The Family ones. I like the BBC ones better but it could be because those are the ones I heard as a kid. Both are well done though!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2019-01-14 12:28:39

I still havent' got around to the focus on the family dramatisations, I'd be interested to give them a try.

I did enjoy the bbc miniseries and indeed the audio adaptation, rather more than the Hollywood films truth be told, since Dawn treader, probably my favourite of the books, was totally trampled on in the film.

In general the series is one I grew up with at a very young age, so I can't be %100 objective about it.
I can say certain aspects now feel to me a little too dated and pedagogical, for example I get really sick of the "its very silly to shut yourself in a wardrobe" but I do love the immagery and the world.

its also interesting to compare the books to Lewis's space trilogy, yes, C S lewis wrote science fiction, albeit these days with science being so much more advanced its more like science fantasy.

I particularly love the first two books, especially the second perilandra, and what is interesting is a lot of the style is the same, for example he often talks of the aliens as talking animals, and even speaks directly to the reader on occasion.
My only miner issue is with the third book, which is quite draggy and goes into arthurian legend, also while I can forgive some of the gender assumptions, EG when he talks about "the divine masculinity of god", or "the mother hood of all women" I do have to clench my teeth, likewise he does have some issues with the way he writes female characters, albeit I do feel he gets a bit too much flack because of this due to Susan in narnia, the books are nearly 70 years old after all.

So, if you enjoy Narnia and want to see what a narnia for grownups is like, I can highly recommend the space trilogy, albeit the third of the series is definitely the weakest entry.