2010-08-04 18:21:38

Hi,
In your opinion, wich one is better, a forum or a mailing list? I would prefer a forum because that way your inbox doesn't get cluttered up with messages. A forum is also very accesible and in a nice format

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-08-04 18:43:42

LOL. a form accessible? OK. this one is, but not all forms are. I also seen some that didn't look as nice. A group on google seems to have a nice balance between the two. I don't know if all groups are like that though. As for wich one is better, I couldn't tell you. It all depends on what you were trying to do. I don't mind either, because of the fact I filter all of my mail in to folders. As for mailing list, you can download the messages with the rest of your mail and se what is being talked about while on the road. High traffic of some mailing list can be a problem at times.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-08-04 18:50:21

true, i have seen some forums that are not accesable, but it can be a pain to read through hundreds of emails at times

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-08-04 19:09:30

i like forums more than mailing lists. i hate dileeting loads of mesages.

2010-08-04 20:32:01

i agree, messages are some times a pane to delete, especially when you have loads of them

2010-08-05 02:59:44

And given that a lot of mobile devices these days don't let you sort messages into folders automatically.

Also for some reason I've found in the past that a fair few of the mailing lists I tried tended to get quite argumentative, though this could of course be bad luck. You do get people complaining about whether to leave the quote from the message you're replying to and stuff like that which isn't an issue on forums as much.

There's also the issue with mailing lists where you read one message and reply, then it turns out three or four people on have also replied. On a forum you get to read all the messages up to the point in time you check before you have chance to reply.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-08-05 07:39:18

agreed, and with some forums it tells you wether there are new posts sense the last time you visited

2010-08-05 07:45:42

I personally think there are advantages to both systems.

Mailing lists are far better for sendng long messages, matters just intended for circulation, or messages on many different subjects. It's also far easier to change subject mid discussion than in a forum where a person might have to read a large topic to realize what is going on rather than just a single message.

As for behaviour, well like forums that depends upon moderation, I've met some pretty scummy people on forums too.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-08-05 07:51:10

For some reason i find a forum easier to navigate than a mailing list. i also think forums are in a better format.

2010-08-05 09:27:49

How are you navigating mailing lists? using outlook express or a similar client, there shouldn't be a problem at all.

Online list views can be irritating simply because of the amount of text, but then again, i always find web mail annoying for some reason..

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-08-05 09:52:14

i just use internet explore to navigate them

2010-08-05 10:17:02

I equally tend to find forums easier to handle, this is personal preference though. Naturally when it comes to circulation of important messages mailing lists are the natural way to go. To me these are different from discussion mailing lists though, being more of an announcement system to my mind.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-08-20 15:17:01 (edited by Ethin 2010-08-20 15:18:06)

I already have over 100 messages, about 114. Isn't that big?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github