2010-06-20 20:27:18

A new version, 3.1 , of sidescroller is here, and can be downloaded http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8252087/sidescroller.exe
Nes feature: A cutscene at the beginning of the game!
Fixed: Evade blades would stay on all the way till the boss level
Changed: Now right shift toggles walking-running status
Changed: Item time is now a little bit longer.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2010-06-20 21:17:47

It's really great! I like the lives system. Maybe in your next version you could create an item which gives you an extra life.

2010-06-20 21:19:06

Hi guys,

I just wanted to pop in here a moment and comment on the need to have BGT installed to run the game. This is the case at present because it is an open source game, and thus requires the BGT tool in order to execute the code. Users of the lite and pro versions will be able to create executable (.exe) files of their games which, fortunately, will not require the slightest trace of BGT on the end user's system. Smile.

I hope this clears things up.

I have only tried a much earlier version of this game, but it seems you've made a lot of changes to it so I'll go grab the new one a little later today.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2010-06-20 21:29:19

Destinystar, I do have an extra life item.

This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!

2010-06-20 21:30:54

Hi guys.
first off i love this game, i've been playing it since last night and so far have almost completed level3, but it's so hard! lol.
i've tried modifying some of the sounds the game uses to increase ease of play, the rock sounds for instance i found to soft to hear, and the background too loud. i altered both by replacing the rock sound and lowering the volume of the background.
one thing i was wondering though, i looked through the sounds folder and found the pit die sound was .rar where as 99% of sounds are wav. I was wondering if there is any way that i can alter the pit die sound. i have attempted to open the .rarsound, but i get the message that the file is either unrecognised or corupt.
Cheers
Best regards.

Captain Chase
Sound Designer and Voice Actor for BPC Programs
"Remember, nose divers do not have promising futures!"

2010-06-20 21:39:29

the dot z sound is actually dot ogg.

2010-06-20 21:45:18

I love the cut sceens. so basicallyin the cut sceen you are kidnapped, and you are driven to this place, but then you manage to beet up the goons holding you captive and that's ware the game starts? just curious. Other than that Good Job!

Audio game king

2010-06-20 21:50:55

YOu are walking in the mall and you are kidnapped. And then you are driven to the guy's house where you begin to fight off the guards that are attacking you, but then the alarm goes off, and that's where the game starts. So basically wp85 you are right.

2010-06-20 22:24:40

Hi
.og? hmm, it's just weird that it's showing up as .rar in both the 2.70 version i started on, and the newly released 3.0 version. I've tried accessing it with Wavepad and Goldwave but neither program is able to open the sound.
Any ideas how i can access and modify the pit die sound?
Cheers
Best regards

Captain Chase

2010-06-20 22:25:54

rename it to pitdie.ogg

2010-06-20 23:02:26

Hi
Unfortunately, renaming the file to pitdie.ogg means that the sound is not played through the game, but the lost life msg is played immediately after you hit the pit.
i attempted once more to access it through two programs but no luck.
Thank you for yor hep.
a few things i would suggest though,
The t key now in 3.o speaks your points when you are trying to grab the bonus item. perhaps this could be revised?
another, sometimes the game is quite impossible to defeat as a spike and pit are literally side by side. this means that there is no way to dodge the spike and leap the pit, one of them will get you. could it be made so a spike and pit can not appear within 3 spaces of each other?
cheers
best regards

Captain Chase

2010-06-20 23:04:19

rename it to ogg before editing, and then rename it to z before saving.

2010-06-21 00:29:45

Hi nice to here about the changes, though amusingly enough, my keyboard had a miner accident last night and my right shift and quote keys are a litle, ---- mmmm, nackered! (you might have noticed some capitalization and abreviation errors in my posts, but hopefully I'll be able to either get this fixed or get another wireless keyboard soon.

I agree with chase about the relative sound volume, perhaps you could stick his altered versions into the next release.

One other miner point I forgot about earlier, is the installer.

I have all my games installed in a directory called fun program files, so that a, I know where they are, and b, I'm not in danger of removing any really necessary programs when mucking about with program folders.

However, the side scroller installer doesn't give the option to install to a specific location.

I can of course just move the folder and modify the short cuts, but this is a litle bit irritating. Is there any chance of putting this step back in the installer?

If not, ---- don't panic about it too much.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-06-21 01:15:20

Yah that would be nice. Maybe i should make a folder with my games.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-06-21 01:15:38

I can do that.

2010-06-21 05:24:14

great. The other advantage briant is that my games folder is called "fun program files" so all I do when installing is just type the word fun to have the things installed in the right place, where as if the folder was called say games, I'd have to do some brousing and renaming while installing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-06-21 08:03:42

Hey again
Just tried out 3.0 this morning and have a couple of suggestions.
Firstly, would it be possible to make the chance of enemy death by falling into the pit less? I stood by the left edge of a pit and listened and pretty much every enemy falls into the pit. i know a few survive, but it would be very easy to just sit there and wait ffor the enemies to comitt suicide while you wait, lol.
One other suggestion i have is the enemies seem impervious to the spikes that the player must avoid. if the enemies can be killed by the pit couldn't those spikes chop them down to size?
lastly when playing on level 1 i managed to grab a spike evaid bonus item. While this bonus is very useful it can cause an issue. I carried the bonus with me to level2 and was killed off by a pit because of it's volume. could that sound be changed or modified? i was just remembering the hard hats you got on pipe2 blast chamber, they were a looped beeping at a low volume which still left you able to jump obstacles and get bonus items.
Well, that's all for now guys, take care.
Cheers
Best regards

Captain Chase

2010-06-21 08:35:12 (edited by musicalman 2010-06-21 08:41:40)

Hi,
Just installed side scroller 3.1. Haven't touched it since 1.6 or something like that. It seems the installer doesn't like Jaws, because it comes up with access violation errors when it's trying to install while Jaws is running.
Now my comments on the game. I love! the new footsteps for the enemies. And the menu is a nice addition. The new sounds are nice, and being able to change the background music is cool. I think it would be cool if it changed on its own every few levels though.
I haven't played it for more than 5 minutes but I already like it much more. The lives are a godsend to me, I can never make it past l3 with just one. I haven't seen the other levels yet, but maybe I'll be able to now.
I don't know how one  is supposed to get the cheat codes though. There's no mention of them anywhere, maybe they are on this forum and I just haven't found them yet. I don't need them, just wondering how one would get them.
I won't say anything about the spikes near pits thing, since it's come up a few times already, we'll just see what happens there.
Keep up the good work! I love this game even more than I did last week.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2010-06-21 10:30:27

They are not cheat codes; they are actually cheat commands. I don't know how to make a file with them, but they are all over the klanog forum, and a littl bit here too.

2010-06-21 12:02:14

Funnily enough chase, I've actually had that happen in Q9 with thdeus shields on occasion myself.

As far as enemies and pits go, I do have a question. Does hitting enemies knock them back? I'm not sure if this is currently the case or not, but it could be a fun feature to have, and might compensate nicely for them not walking in like morons, ---- in fact there might even be some extra tough enemies or bosses you need to knock into pits in order to kill off.

I wasn't sure if this was currently in the game, sinse I have been on the left side of a pit and have had a bunch of enemies either fall down or be sliced up by my sword, but I wasn't sure if I was knocking them back or whether I'd underestimated my swords' range, so I was actually slashing enemies on the opposite side of a pit from myself, and those I didn't kill were falling in.

Oh, and I was able to fix my right shift and quote keys this morning, so I'll be fully up for playing the next release.

2010-06-21 12:21:12

The enemies when they attack you, jump back like 2 spaces and then run back and attack again. I wanted to add them retreating from your sword, and I think I will actually make it work.

2010-06-21 13:13:44

OK, v3.2 of sidescroller is out. THis is chiefly a bugfix release. The only really sifnificant new feature is music for the main menu.
Changes
Sapi now prompts you when you press esc during gameplay
Lengthened the interval between when the teleport sound plays and the enemies come out to attack you
Added numPad support for pageUp and down, so you can use your numPad to change the volume
Bug fixes
Enemies now teleport at you with full health
Enemies are much less likely to fall into the pits
When an item is falling, you can still use your machinegun.
Link is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8252087/sidescrollersetup.exe

2010-06-21 13:28:50

BGT gives me virus much!

Audiogames has entered a new era. With blockbusters such as bk2, swamp, perilous hearts and the soon-to-come road to rage, audiogames takes a new shape. High quality sounds, multiplayer and very sufficiant AI is audiogames next step towards attention. The world is about to change so cheer with me, hurray!

2010-06-21 13:38:24

what do you mean

2010-06-21 14:51:16

Hi, i managed to beat the game yesterday for the ferst time. Level 7 is very hard. I actually had like 30 lives because i sat around in the levels for a long long time after all the enimys were gone and waited for items to fall and caught just about every one. I got a negitive time bonus, but i had like 550 health, about 400 amo, and about 200 booby traps because i spent so much times in the level

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven