2010-03-23 06:26:10

Hi,
I have a problem with internet explorer. When i go to listen to some meedia files from dropbox.com, all internet explorer does is say redrecting you to www.dl.dropbox.com, or what ever. And then it just sits there with the same message. What can i do. This has ben experienced with some other sights to.
Thank you, and have a nice day

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-03-23 08:43:41

Hmmm, that sounds rather as if Ie isn't looking for the latest version of the page but is using stored ones on your computer. Try clearing your temporary internet files, and also check your settings to make certain ie looks for the latest versions of pages, ---- that used to be in advanced in Ie 6 and 7 but i'm not sure where it is on 8.

Also, check your security,  sinse ie's security settings can cause issues of this sort especially when downloading or streaming files is needed.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-03-24 09:52:14

The security settings might indeed be the culprit, but it might be that they're set to prevent redirects so check for that too. In my experience trouble with downloads or streaming and security settings is either because they are stopping plug ins or active X controls, or else they're stopping redirects.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-03-24 10:14:01

Hi,
Thanks for your help. I'll try that

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-03-24 10:34:28

I think if Ie was a person, their default security would be the sort of person who has five locks on their front door then keeps those keys in a locked box in their porch.

The word "paranoid" rather springs to mind. The only sad thing is that this atitude seems to infect a lot of people, like my uni It services who caused me all the antivirus and logue in problems.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-03-24 16:57:11

Frankly the default settings for IE are normally like someone with 5 locks on the front door, and then leaving the keys in the locks themselves. However manufacturers can vary with their default settings, as can users who fiddle with them (family members are buggers for that). It's media reports of virii and hackers that make people paranoid, and the reason Microsoft has been pushed to actually give their software *some* amount of security.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-03-24 17:47:24

Funny, I always found I had to turn off stuff in ie security sinse it stopped allowing certain things in, ---- even bog standard things like downloading or streaming a music file.

2010-03-24 21:19:18

I never had issues with that, though I'm not sure if I ever used IE7. I know I've definitely used 6 and had no issues with 8 like that.

The one issue I have had is that for some reason Quicktime got installed somehow, and it decided all downloaded mp3 files would be played through quicktime. I'm not sure why but ever since I've been using assistive software, across multiple computers, quicktime has not managed to run but instead crashes pretty nastily. That was solved by making sure IE opens things in WMP though.

cx2
-----