2010-02-15 19:27:54

Hi I'm doing a games design course in England.  I'm doing a case study into key people involved in the audio games industry and after some research it emerged that David Greenwood had a large role in its development as I hope everyone will agree.  The purpose of this post therefore, is to find out if anyone can either give me his email address or point me in any direction that could maybe help me to get in contact with him?

Many thanks,

Miles

2010-02-15 19:50:08

Hi.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the study. Davids' site can be found at www.gmagames.com, and there is a contact form there. Alternatively, your very welcome to E-mail me on dark at xgam dot org and I'll send you his address directly.

Appologies for the miner secrecy, but I'm not sure how much he wants' his address around online, --- stil I can personally say he's easily contactable.

Other key people you might wish to talk to are Phil vlasac of pcs games www.pcsgames.net, jim kitchin of kitchinsinc, www.kitchensinc.net, Tom ward of Usa games,  http://www.usagamesinteractive.com/, Ron Schamahorn editer of the audeasy accessible games web magazine, and John banic of 7-128 software, www.7-128.com.

All of the above have been pretty instruemental in games developement, and have been around for a significant time, ---- with the exception of John, who's organization has a lot of resources and information and runs the top gameing related websites pole.

While there are some pretty amazing new people in accessible games developement currently (or comparatively new), those are probably the people who've been around longest and seen most change, and are stil going.

You might considder contacting the audeasy list on http://audyssey.org/ where many of these people and others with much experience hang out.

Oh, and as we share a country, your welcome to talk to me too if you like, ---- though I can't imagine what good that would do ;D.

Btw, I've moved this from the off topic room sinse these sorts of efforts and chances for people in the world of game design to actually know that accessible games exist don't come along too often and deserve all our support.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-03-18 13:15:16

Hi again, firstly apologies for the extremely late reply to your amazing answer to my post.  thank you very much for all that information, it has and will continue to be extremely useful for the rest of my course.  I have managed to get in contact with David and am in the process of putting together some questions for my case study. 

As a matter of further research, I was wondering if I could take you up on your offer and ask you a couple of questions? 

When i first started looking into this area the general gist I got was that aside from the somewhat boring puzzle-style games like the towers of hanoi and pong, the only game to really shine out was Shades of Doom. 

However I think alot of the materials I was using for research were slightly outdated which is especially likely to happen with anything computer related, given their tendency to develop in leaps and bounds in short amounts of time. 

So, are there any other large-scale audio games that you think I should look at and are there any personal favourites of yours?

I am particularly interested in sonic spatial awareness or taking full advantage of stereo field or ideally 5.1 surround sound.  Are there any games you know of that produce 5.1?

From a technological point of view are there any innovative or otherwise pieces of kit that have helped you engage with computer games or that have struck you as important?

Thanks again and apologies again for the late reply

2010-03-18 15:33:19

While this game doesn't use 5.1 sound, I highly, highly recommend looking at entombed. It's the first audio rpg. It has everything from multiple jobs to multi classing to leveling up, experience, and even unlockables, and the unlockables even work in the demo version which actually takes about 4 hours to beat on just one playthrough. not counting playing as other races and jobs. imagine how loing the full version'd take -- the demo has 7 floors of a dungeon, the full version has 25.

2010-03-19 18:05:19

Could be wrong but I thought GMA Tank Commander had surround support. I prefer that to Shades personally.

Entombed definitely is worth a look. Sound RTS is good, and for hybrid audio/visual games check Audio Quake (adaptation of the original Quake game) and Terraformers.

I hope that at some point in the future hybrid games will be developed more, but for now they're a rare thing sadly. I have a deep desire for games I can play with friends, that will provide a rich experience for both myself and the sighted friends.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.