2010-01-25 16:34:45

People have asked before about favourite game soundtracks, here's a twist. Game sound tracks that go in an unexpected direction that you would never have imagined would work, yet somehow they do.

I'll start off with an old flight simulator called TFX, its music had the rare quality of being both gentle and fairly fast paced... at least for the turn of the 90s at any rate. Yes I have been playing games that long, and don't I feel it sometimes laugh. Ever imagine a game soundtrack could work with pianos? And still feel right for some reasonable action?

Here it is

Feel free to post your own thoughts here, with links if you can from youtube since we probably aren't familiar with them. If you want you can also suggest non-game soundtracks, so long as it is still a soundtrack rather than music for its own sake.

Lets see what people turn out.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-02-05 04:36:23

I was wondering if any of you guys has the sound track time adventures? It is a really interesting soundtrack and it would be cool if someone actually got it when it was still being sold.

i used to take things in life for granted...
now i have a beautiful daughter, and she means the world to me.
(at 19, i can say this is harder than it sounds)

2010-02-05 07:16:50

Sadly not I'm afraid, in fact for someone who collects game soundtracks, I have none from audo games weerdly.

Personally, i'd say the single most inappropriate game soundtracks I've heard are for the first two donkey Kong country games, ---- released in the mid nineties on the snes.

You'd expect the soundtracks to games where your playing a big ape jumping through levels and climbing ropes mario style to retreave his banana hoard from a bunch of crocodiles to be cutesey, ---- or at least light hearted the way music to most of the Mario, james pond or sonic games was.

nothing like it!

Dk 1 and 2 have some of the best most atmospheric epic game music I've ever heard, in a variety of styles from creepy, to eletronica, to full on semi-orchestral pyratical doom!

Even the last boss to Dk1 had comical music which start out like a merry sea jig (your fighting him on board his pyrate ship), then suddenly becomes a full on semi wrock techno epic mix! --- amusingly enough the bosses own tactics also change, being easy at the start then amazingly difficult later on.

The third game in the series has a few good tracks, but I didn't personally feel it came close  to the atmosphere of the first two.

I'd strongly recommend getting these though they're some of my favourites.

Unfortunately, I only have them in spc snes format. You can however download all the soundtracks (along with many more), and a very efficient winamp plugin to play them Here on the snes amp site

There's also an mp3 convertion tool should you want it, but personally I just use the winamp plugin, ---- especially sinse winamp is my music playing program of choice anyway.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-02-05 18:13:27

I switched from winamp to klango. and as for soundtracks, while not really strange, one of the most scary is dante's inferno, but there doesn't seem tobe any links to it. you'llk have to hear some gameplay to find it. i warn you all now: this game is gory. this game contains dark themes. this game is one of the darkest next generation mainstream games to hit the market, not the least because it's set in hell. but. the bosses are dark. i can nly speak for one because there's only a demo, game isn't released in the uk until february 12. february 9 for the us.

2010-02-05 19:51:23

Does anyone have or know where I can find soundtracks to the Harry Potter videogames written by Jeremy Soule? They're pretty interesting and I've been looking for them for a year.

i used to take things in life for granted...
now i have a beautiful daughter, and she means the world to me.
(at 19, i can say this is harder than it sounds)

2010-02-06 02:39:48

Have you tried Galbadia hotel, they have an absolutely huge! collection of game and anim soundtracks, you can find them here

As to players, I stil use winamp myself as a basic player, though I do these days prefer to stream audio (podcasts and such), using Klango.

I find winamp convenient to use from the desktop, windows explorer etc, also it has pluggins for some of the stranger soundtrack formats which I have in my collection. Also, when I bought my surround sound system, my friend and I sat and twiddled with speaker config until winamp played exceptionally well through them, and saved it in an eq file.

i also like the way winamp can run no matter what I'm doing, ---- even using windows media player to rip or burn cds, -----  yes, i need to find a better program to do that, ---- I already use a program called power dvd to watch dvds.

It's not that i have anything against Klango, ---- in fact I really like it as a system, it's pod catching abilities particularly, ---- I just personally find winamp more convenient.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-02-07 15:29:02

Dark,
Have you tried the stuff from nch swift sound, I am particularly thinking express burn and express rip.
Put it this way: express burn is so upto date it can burn blue-ray disks, and that is not a joke.

2010-02-08 03:44:11

Hmmm, could you please post a link aaron? I'll have a look sinse I'd certainly prefer an alternative to the dreaded windows media player, ---- though i will confess I don't do huge amounts of cd ripping generally unless I'm doing it for someone else sinse I personally don't mind physically using cds (I have a lovely litle portable cd player which is great for train journies).

2010-02-08 19:26:24

I think it's nch.com.au
The program express burn is shareware, but I don't think it's too expensive.
I think express rip is a freebie.