2010-01-25 02:13:43

Well, I mentioned I was trying this one, and intersperced betwene efforts at entombed I did.

The bad news is it's only lightly dramatized rather than being a full audio play as I inicially wondered, ---- the good news is it's a regular heap of extremely fun steampunk goodness!

Wizard spies, zeplins, robitic people, ---- steam powered armour, all those sorts of jolly fun, and a potentically interesting plot.

The other nice thing is there are some amusing extras. Each episode comes with a very funny litle clip of "sponsered by" which have included "molly's molotovs, ---- designer molotof coctales for ladies! complete with pink bottle and black bow" and " ferris alien breeders, ---- supplies of quality face huggers vintage from vrl423 sinse 1811"  ---- very amusing!

they also have a steampunk challenge question of the weak, which is deeply amusing as well, ---- though all of these are side lines compared to the main story.

as with all of my favourite audio stuff, i've stuck it in my favourites on Klango, --- but if you prefer, you can just go to the gearheart website and get stuff that way.

This is certainly the most fun thing I've found lately, ---- and the writing isn't bad either.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-01-25 03:13:11

Molly's Molotovs made me utterly crack up. I'll have to take a look just out of curiosity, even though I've never been much into steampunk.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-01-25 04:23:37

Well, it's actully described as deasel punk, sinse there is deffinately petrol, cars and automatic weapons, ---- despite the rather crazy steam power armour and zeplins (gotta love zeplins!).

I will say don't be put off by the first chapter which is a bit of an explosion heist fest, ---- though the point to it does get revealed later on, -----then again, you've read scot Sigler, ---- where the entire book is roughly speaking an explosion heist fest, ---- so there shouldn't be a problem, ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-01-25 13:16:12

And all that explosion heisting is as nought compared to his new effort the crypt laugh. Will do.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-01-31 20:31:03

Haven't checked the crypt yet, i probably should, but I'm just about to start George r.r. martins game of throwns series which i've managed to get hold of.

The gearheart is rather fun, i'm now up to the current episode and will be listening to the latest, ---- 35 on monday. It actually does get a lot better as it goes on, with things getting progressively more complicated and weerd, ---- which is good! there was one particular fight which just had me laughing for it's utter insane coolness.

(poss miner spoilage),

how about a two person by plane with big bad cannons and magic shooting wizards taking on a hundred foot, armour plated flying dragon!

I rather thought the author was trying to pack as many fun things into the same scene as possible! ---- the crazy thing is, it worked!

2010-01-31 21:01:02

Laugh sounds amusing.

The Crypt is Sigler's effort at space sci fi and so far is a bunch of short character sketches really, though the short Washington DC line was interesting. It has a reasonably thought out take on stealth in space, the crew remain in cryo to keep the ship's temperature down and because the ship has to keep a low surface temperature it can't let heat escape so they go from thermal insulation suits right after being woken up progressively through to working in their underwear towards the end. They also have a couple of low or no-energy systems to help run the ship and find out what's going on, so they don't leak EM radiation from power sources. This includes plotting torpedo firing with pen and paper, then feeding it into the torpedo manually in case they need to shoot in an emergency before the systems come up enough to allow fire control.

cx2
-----

2010-02-01 06:57:17

sounds interesting. I'm also pleased he didn't take off the book crescent, which is set in space, and probably the most disturbing thing I've seen in a long time horror fiction wise, ---- try searching podiobooks for it.