2010-01-08 10:54:48

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem or has come up with a solution. I use a long cane, and I find myself unable to use gloves in cold weather because I just can't feel the cane well enough. I suppose I could use fingerless gloves but that just didn't work out.

I know that the cold numbs my sensation as well, but I find the cushioning from the fabric of the glove worse than this by far to the point where I just can't use my cane at all.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-01-08 23:43:55

I have had that problem. In the end i found out a two-handed solution by using my right hand (I must admit i'm left handed) to place the cane in my left hand. It actually worked. In the end (right before I became used to using my right hand with the cane) I managed to do it just fine. The strap can be in help sometimes too if it's not broken.

I live to crochet!

2010-01-09 01:52:02

I personally only use gloves which let me have a full range of finger movement, then put my index finger down the flat side of the rubber grip of the cane so that I'm always in contact with it's movements.

Then again, having been in the wilds of the north for a while I'm proably more used to this than some people, ---- currently though, we're very litterally knee deep in snow up here, so I'm a bit stuck as I've lost most of my land marks.

I was supposed to be having my mobility assessment from guide dogs this week, ---- but it's been very literally snowed off.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-01-09 03:09:26

Well the trouble I have is that even wool gloves cushion my finger too much to ffeel the movement of my cane to where I'm happy with it, even with my finger down the side as I normally have it. I'm also up in the more northern area myself, but since I've not been visually impaired as long as you Dark I've not necessarily got used to it as much. What I could really use are some thin gloves that just keep the air off my hands, but I've not been able to find any - they're all either woolen or padded, and even the normal thin woolen gloves just are too much for me.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-01-09 13:43:58

Does your cane have a hook on the end? I personally find those extremely irrtating to handle sinse there aren't multiple ways of holding them.

Also, though I do have (and use), an ultrasonic cane, I wouldn't use it in woolen gloves either sinse I couldn't get the vibrations from the contacts.

Perhaps a pair of light leather driving gloves would do the trick, ---- or just cut the index finger off a pair of woolen gloves so you'vegot that contact.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-01-09 21:27:09

Interesting thoughts there. I like being able to feel the cane in my whole hand though, weird I know but that's just me. Driving gloves are a thought though I'm generally not a fan of leather, it just feels... somehow wrong on my hands.

No crook and no ultrasonic cane were involved.

cx2
-----

2010-01-09 21:42:27

this is kinda in the same subject!
while using my cane i find my cane hand gets cold quicker, so i was wondering also wich sort of glove i could use!
my mobility teacher funnily offered her suggestion of waring one golf glove, some how that didn't apeal to me!

2010-01-14 10:29:26

Hi.

I have some thin leather gloves where I can feel my cane through the gloves. It's harder to feel the cane while wearing gloves, but I find it doable because these gloves are pretty thin.
I recommend you to try some different gloves in a shop so you can see what gloves are best for you. I took a little walk in the shop with my cane to see if I could feel the cane through the gloves.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2010-01-14 12:00:47

Trouble is I don't know what kind of shop sells gloves. Only one in this town here is the kind of odds and ends place that just sells the one size magic gloves in wool. Shame.

cx2
-----