2009-10-14 13:35:09

Guys lets discuss why the yahoo search is no so popular than Google search ?
In other words Why people prefer Google rather than yahoo?

I think the main thing is that Google is more simple than yahoo..
What do u guys think?

---------------------
emprunt amelioration habitat

2009-10-14 15:41:37

Actually I've stuck with Yahoo for years. I've stopped though because they have made a deal with Microsoft, Yahoo search will in the near future be powered by Bing. I have no intention of using the pile of rubbish that is Bing.

I do gather though that Google was one of the first engines to rate results based on the number of pages that link to it on the rest of the internet. That maybe gave it a certain amount of inertia in its early days that it stuck with, and it has become one of the biggest companies around in computing terms. I don't really like them as a company though, but I trust Bing's search even less.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-11-18 09:40:24

Google is more easier to find when it comes to business..And  yes i agree with it that it was the first engine to rate results of links and the number of page. We can automatically find the links on the web.

2009-11-18 10:35:30

Personally, I'm always a google fan and find Yahoo annoying to use both in page navigation, result ranks, and adds.

their E-mail groups system is also far more irritating than Google's, ---- but I suppose that's another matter.

I would guess it was the case of getting in first which made them more popular, but I know many people who would agree with me on irritation of use, adds etc.

I also have to say Yahoo is very nasty for installing rubbish! my Net service provider, Bt, did a deal with Yahoo, and when i initially registered my connection to them, their connection wizard automatically installed lots of rubbish from yahoo onto my desktop, ---- including a yahoo brouser overlay which made Ie incredibly! hard to use with hal, ---- which I actually had to talk to my software engineer friend on how to remove, --- sinse unlike the google addons I've seen like the google toolbar, --- you couldn't just remove it in the standard way from remove brouser plugins or add/remove programs.

I'm a litle surprised to here you say you don't like google as a company Cx2. i do have to say i like Google's company policy much better, ---- sinse they actually are decent to their workers, have implimented bonuses for staff going right down to the cleaners who tidy their offices, ---- and make significant use of flex time.

I often find myself using Google as an example of a company with good employee and business ethics, ---- a very rare thing indeed these days.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-11-18 11:31:19

I recall BT had a deal with Yahoo so I can put that down to an isolated case.

I'm sorry but if you think Google has good business ethics you've not been keeping up. Street view has cvaused a lot of upset where people in countries object to it, and in Germany Google went so far as to ignore the German government objecting claiming there were no laws against it. The Google digital library project is insanely controversial, and the only reason they have made some agreements so far is they have thrown money at out of court settlements. While they may have good treatment of staff, their handling of controversial projects is horrifically flawed.

Google are becoming the Microsoft of search engines. Having by far the largest market share doesn't help this.

101:
Please reply. Your post is quite coherent, but I have concerns about your signature. It looks like it is advertising something.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-11-18 13:38:25

Google is very quick & most of the times it gives accurate & exact results while on the other hand YAHOO is not so satisfying as google is.But Yahoo's other services are awesome but not a powerful search engine.  That's the reason Google is most popular.

2009-11-18 19:56:44

Google is more popular, but it may not be the best. there are search engines that might have more features than google. they're all good in their own way.
and also @cx2: notice how everyone other than the regular audiogamers who post in this topic, has only one post. notice their signitures, indeed, they're advertising something. but. are these bots? they might not be. but, they're not gamers either.

2009-11-18 20:14:26

Aaron:
Yes I noticed that, though the previous poster Smithdavid doesn't have a link in his sig. Not sure what bluetooth headsets have to do with anything though.

The single post thing was part of my concern. We've been getting spambots lately that seem to regurgitate content from within the topic to try and avoid detection, these posts I'm not sure what to make of though.

On another note, I noticed when checking a forum related to a pen and paper RPG that they were getting spambots advertising Bing with the advertising line "Bing, its better than google". Good grief. I'd sooner use the yellow pages than Bing right about now.

cx2
-----

2009-11-19 01:49:57

I hadn't heard that about google's legal shinanigans, ---- though unlike microsoft they doom seem much better at distributing the money they make around their employee base in a fairer manner, ---- rather than simply either plowing most of the prophet into making more prophet and massive bonuses for people at the top, ---- while screwing down the wages of everyone at the bottom as far as competitive job markits and work regulations allow, ---- which is the practice in far too many large coorporations.

I can't say wheter these posters are bots or not, ---- sinse I have sigs turned off, ---- say give them 48 hours to respond or ban them.

I'm also incredibly! surprised to here someone say Yahoo's other services are better than google. yahoo's mail groups I find a right pest, ---- not the least because of the impossible to get around image verrification code, ridiculous privacy screening, and inability to have group subscriptions organized in a logical manner.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-11-19 05:02:49

Will do regarding the bots.

Regarding their legal issues, the big one right now is their digital library project. There is an unholy stink brewing in Spain over it, and Google have had the barefaced cheek to ask that the matter be resolved in a US court because that is where the service is based. Whatever you think of copyright law the fact of the matter is you can't just go round trying to get your own local laws to override that of other countries. That just isn't a good precedent. There are arguments both ways on the matter, but this isn't the way to resolve it. They're also screwing authors out of their royalties. There are cases where you might not care about royalties, but in the case for example of Harry Potter which I know you like you wouldn't appreciate the author being left out.

cx2
-----

2009-11-20 10:15:27

No, author royalties matter,. The fact that these royalties can mostly come from people grabbing a paperback for £5 rather than publishers offering abridged audio versions for £35 is a very different matter.

I haven't been keeping up on the story and don't really have enough info to make a judgement, ---- sinse most of what I've heard of online publishing has been either about people like podiobooks, or Amazon's digital publishing service.

I could well believe that however nice Google is with their prophet distribution and their worker base, they could run roughshod over a country's own laws, ---- equally, because the publishing industry is just as money grabbing as any net company, it could be an extention of attempts to stop the digital revolution in publishing (read about Amazon's service and you'll see what I mean).

I can't say one way or the other without more knolidge currently.

2009-11-20 10:46:20

Google aren't starting in publishing, it is essentially a digital library run on a commercial basis. There are big concerns they will end up monopolising digital distribution of books, among their legal concerns. They've even had trouble with writers' organisations in the US over this, and have been trying to make an out of court lump sum settlement. This isn't right in my opinion since this doesn't account for royalties, and probably won't be fairly distributed based on who is most popular.

They're looking to scan in tens of thousands of books, including those still under active copyright.

If the "digital revolution" comes it will come from ebooks being distributed rather than being made and distributed unilaterally by the end seller, at least  in my opinion. They're already on the rise, particularly for small authors. I feel they'll probably filter down eventually, the bigger issue is how they will deal with DRM to me.

cx2
-----

2009-11-21 02:44:49

Well, I'm not certain of that one, sinse I think the process by which authors are paid for their books is going to have to change rapidly in future simply to account for digital distribution methods, ---- I'm hoping the podiobooks model, ---- or even subscription only services will become more common.

google however isn't the first digital service which has run into nasties over this. Amazon are attempting to create a proprietry format to distribute the published works of authors who sign up with them.

the problem is this will mean not only do they have complete control over pricing for the customer, ---- but also for the author, sinse they will be the only producer of that format, ---- the debate on sales and royalties is remarkably similar there too, ---- not to mention the end user problem that people will only be able to play amazon's format on things running windows.

I'm not sure if google are being particularly bad, or if this is simply an area where a new industry is being created and companies are wanting to take control of it with just as much an Iron fist as publishers did traditionally.

I've never heard of an author who didn't have to bow to publishers' wishes in some way shape or form.

the first harry potter book was actually considderably shorter than jk intended, ---- misisng out even things like the description of what Dean thomas looks like, and nearly headless knick's story about his botched beheading due to publisher's concerns on length.

She even also wanted to write under her own given name, ---- Joanna rowling, accept for some bizarre reason the industry decided that boys wouldn't buy a book obviously written by a woman, ---- which seems insane to me sinse some of my favourite authors from the time I was about 7 have been Dianna wynne jones and susan cooper, ---- who both write under their own natural first names.

2009-11-21 02:54:14

Small point, the Amazon system requires authors to sign up to it. The Google approach is scanning existing books without having even asked. The Amazon approach is vulnerable to market forces - if it isn't a good enough deal then authors can just not use it.

It is also just wrong for Google to try and make a flat settlement with writers guilds, rather than paying per purchase of the ebook.

I'm personally of the opinion  that proprietary formats for media should just be banned. They mostly die eventually anyway. Using such formats for some kinds of media is acceptable, for example video or sound in games, but not if the media is being sold as media in its own right to me. It also harms cross compatibility in a very serious way.

cx2
-----

2009-11-21 13:02:25

Fair enough, as I said I haven't been following the case.

the problem is proprietory formats seem like a way for the coorperate  vultures to keep  their claws firmly in control, ---- irrispective of all the issues, and the fact that anyone with a half way decent  digital recorder  and a sterio cable can create an mp3 copy of any audio they wish in just as good quality as the original.

I'm hoping eventually this gets sorted out and better models for distribution come about, ---- but there will distinctly be a teething period, which we are going through at the moment.

2009-11-21 13:43:54

Imagine VHS versus Betamax, except where you can make as many standards as you like because:
You don't have to pay for physical player equipment to be made for each type
Any computer can be made to play any format if you create a proprietary player

Of course portable players are the big issue. I'll point out though that virtually noone uses WMA format these days though.

MP3 is apparently actually a proprietary format, it is just the owner of the rights never properly asserted them and it is a bit late now. Laugh bit like IBM with the PC concept, if that is true and not another myth.

cx2
-----

2009-11-22 11:15:58

I didn't think that mp3 was actually a propriatory format, ---- more a compression technique.

Either way, where as copying video cassettes was time consumin, expensive, and probably likely to produce poor quality, copying audio with a sterrio cable is quick, easy and creates just as good quality as the original.

I've got several friends who've entirely digitized their cd collections simply for ease of access.

I'm hoping that the money grabbers will just eventually bow to fate and try and go with the flow rather than fight it with all this propriatory format rubbish, ----- afterall, selling storage and subscriptions to archives material is stil a way for them to make a prophet, but I admit I have a rather low opinion on the ability of such people to recognize that the old iron fist controlled, pick a mark up and trebble it methods of distribution aren't going to work for much longer.

Already the film wrental industry is struggling because people are realizing there's no point in wrenting a film for 4 pounds when it can be bought for 12.

2009-11-22 11:23:48

There was a legal case I recall a while back. It came downn to the fact that the owner of the rights still owned the rights to the format, but they had failed to control their rights for so long that they couldn't assert them any longer. At least that's what I recall. In other words they'd not bothered for years then they suddenly started demanding royalties for the use of their format.

cx2
-----

2009-11-23 01:57:16

I bet their kicking themselves now, ---- given how widely mp3's are used. Stil, ---- I don't really see what could be done in a case like that.

2009-11-23 09:21:44

Well I doubt MP3s would be so widely used unless this had happened so it is a sort of chicken and the egg situation.

I read an article yesterday about ebooks funnily enough, apparently there is a push on ebook readers this christmas. There are two major book formats so I gather, Amazon's own proprietary format for their Kindel and Adobe's Digital Editions. Both are DRM up to their eyeballs it seems, and Adobe's format is winning out.

At least Adobe's format is retailer independent though.

cx2
-----

2009-11-23 11:43:41

I didn't know addoby's format was actually audio as well, --- I thought it only applied to text.

At least though it's possible to use and create things in it without paying mega dosh to Adoby to use it, ---- though presumably they stil have the writesto the players etc.

that's what I assume anyway, sinse that's the way pdf format works and I can't see an audio format being too different, ----- even if someone wanting to distribute books in it would have to buy Adoby's own creation software, ---- that's stil one better than amazon controlling everything.

I didn't realize that the ease ad universality of mp3 format was such a blessing in disguse, ---- interesting indeed.

2009-11-23 12:15:55

I didn't actually mention audio. An ebook "reader" is a reader in the same sense as Adobe Reader, it may or may not have speech output. Its basically a hardware device that does what the viewer software does. That said Adobe also offers the ability to support digital editions to other companies, since they don't make their own hardware. That's another advantage, Amazon only offer their support on the Kindel I believe.

cx2
-----

2009-11-25 09:46:10

True enough, ---- though that's another reason why adoby is probably a better bet, sinse unlike amazon it's software to create in proprietory format doesn't cost the earth, ---- even for someone publishing their stuff in a more serious sense, ---- I must ask the gm of chronicles of arborell whether he's got the commercial or free version of adoby to create the books and documents for the series.

Oh, and yes, I've banned the two single post, single link posters in this topic. There was a similar response with a link that was plainly spambottage, which I subsequently deleted.

while There's a vague outside chance that I've banned humans who for some odd reason like writing bb code links leading to money lenders, ----- i don't think this is too likely. I've also left an appropriate message, and if they contact us I'll be glad to unban them.

Better this than having registered spambots.

2009-11-25 10:23:33

I quite agree. Had to do likewise the other day with an account that posted asking who the best game character was, but had three spam links at the bottom including one to sell World of Warcraft accounts. Was a bit of a giveaway when the post suggested Gordon Freeman, who I happen to know was the main character in Half Life.

cx2
-----

2009-11-25 11:01:52

Youch! these spambots be getting more cunning!

I wonder if Sander could look into installing the sort of system they have at monster breeder, ---- you just have to type iamnotabot into the box, ---- and the page tells you to type it in without the spaces, but doesn't actually write it that way on the page.