2009-10-10 16:03:06

Hi.

I have a small problem, ---- well actually a rather large! problem.

During installation of Java I happened to notice msn explorer was stil on my compter. I attempted to remove it in add/remove programs and by mistake removed outlook express.

"no problem" I thought "time for a system restore"

However, that's when things went very! wrong.

When windows xp restarted, a random window appeared, then it restarted with a default user profile.

After several restarts, another go at a system restore and lots of swearing, I read the random window with ms narrator.

Said random window says:

" windows cannot load the user's profile but logued you on with the default profile for the system. the system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry but the specified file is not in a registry file format"

Needless to say, this is a baaaaaad! state of affiars, and what's worse, outlook express is stil awol!

Luckily I A, have this laptop to communicate etc with, and B, have backups of everything on my external harddrive.

Stil, the idea of starting everything from scratch on the default profile is pretty hiddeus in terms of amount of work, ---- pluss I'm not sure what I'd be unable to access from my old user profile.

Normally, I'd phone dolphin tech support with this sort of issue, but they're not open at weakends, and I'd prefer this fixed Asap.

I'd really! appreciate some help from some of the cleverer people here so as to get this sorted out.

Any help much and distinctly appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-10-10 16:21:15

Your files, favourites, etc might still be there in the old profile. Check C:\documents and settings\ and look for your username. This is why it is probably best not to set your my documents to private on a personal machine.

Reinstall is probably not necessary either, if you run an install over the top of the existing one Windows should make a repair rather than an all out reinstall without reformatting. I say should, I don't nkow how OEM versions work in this regard.

Hope that helps some.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-10-10 23:55:19

everything is very much stil there, the only problem is bits of it are either in inaccessible places or simply not working, ----- dolphin orphius for instance.

The problem with a reinstall is that i don't have a windows xp disk because my pc came pre-installed, ---- and while the very nice litle firm wouldn't mind doing it again, it would mean carting my pc 100 miles back to nottingham.

I could of course simply delete the original account, reset windows and create a new one, but I'm not sure how to delete the account, or what it might stop working if I do.

for some odd reason orphius is already not working at all.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-10-11 00:18:42

Technically you're supposed to get either the original install discs or recovery discs with a computer, unless the version of windows is... iffy.

I'm beginning to wonder if part of your system restore point was corrupt and it has upset part of the registry. Or something.

In any case the minimum you would lose by making a new profile would be all your preferences type settings in most software.

Regarding Orpheus I wonder whether that has a repair option? You might be able to install that over itself to fix it maybe? I don't honestly know quite what has gone wrong with it. If your registry had completely gone then Windows wouldn't even work probably.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-10-11 01:49:31

well I've done a complete backup of everything just in case.

Actually it seems that the only things entirely inaccessible are A, orphius, and B, the ability to make certain settings changes in windows, ---- such as turning off the blasted screen saver.

I think this is probably more likely to be fixed by creating a new account, but I'm not going to try doing that until I can contact dolphin. Orphius is at least redownloadable and entirely reinstallable if it comes to it.

apparently if I reinstall Ie, it will also install outlook express (thanks to Tom ward for telling me this when I asked on the mailing list with my laptop), but I'm going to see if I can get the main user account thing fixed first.

I've already had to restore some windows display settings sinse otherwise I find navigation slightly irritating, ---- such as using classic start menues, folder lists and classic folder options without all the xp junk.

Your probably right about the restore point corruption business, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do to guard against that.

As regards windows disks, well fortunately my mum has one, and indeed my friend who is a software designer says he can borrow one from work if necessary. If I had the disk I could've just reinstalled outlook express from there and stopped all this hastle from starting.

I think this must be the first time I've attempted a system restore on this computer, ---- which is probably why it went so wrong.

2009-10-11 12:32:16

Well system restore itself is a bit of a hit and miss thing at any rate. If you do need to make a new profile don't delete the old one first, just make a new one and copy the my documents and favourites across. Might also want to copy the start menu and desktop sections as well. Don't copy the whole profile over or you might land the new profile with the same problems as the old one.

Hope Dolphin can help more than I have been able to.

cx2
-----

2009-10-14 06:37:52

hMMM, i THOUGHT i ALREADY REPLIED TO THIS TOPIC, --- BUT NEVER MIND!

i'M PLEASED TO SAY ONE OF MY SOFTWARE ENGINEER FRIENDS WAS ABLE TO NICELY FIX THINGS BY CREATING A NEW ACCOUNT WITH ADMIN RIGHTS, AND DISPOSING OF THE CORRUPTED ONE.

eVERYTHING IS NOW WORKING. i'VE GOT SEVERAL THINGS TO RESTORE, ---- SUCH AS icons and program groups for some programs, and my E-mail accounts (contacting Bt for my private address password is going to be fun). and Orphius is stil Awol, (I' using realspaeak daniel with Hal right now), but it's far less agro than I was expecting originally.

Bloody user accounts! As I said, I wish there was a way to just convince windows that I am, an will always be soul and single supreme master of my Pc forever and ever! guahahaha!

Now I just need a long cloak and a magic staff, ---- ;D.

Thanks for people's suggestions with this.

2009-10-14 10:11:06

I've noticed if you take a while to post after opening the page it doesn't go through, so I have taken to checking the top of the page after trying to submit. It throws up an error there if this happens.

Honestly I think XP's user accounts are an improvement on the older systems, which weren't multi user enabled. XP is built on the network versions such as 2000 which are designed ground up for multi users. On 95/98 the login screen *actually* had a cancel button, then you could just run a file search for the .pwd files and delete them. It isn't necessary for all people, though I'm sure some families will use it, but it is better than having a cancel button laugh. That's why Windows security has always been such a joke, stupid little details like that.

cx2
-----