2009-06-11 16:46:51

Hello fellow gamers!

As you may remember, I have posted on these forums about a game that is being programmed right now. For those of you who don't recall the thread, it's located over here.
And as the menu system for the new game is starting to become something useable and perhaps even enjoyable, I thought it would be the right time to give all of you an update and explanation of the game. As you can read in the other topic, this game is going to be a space fighter simulator. More information is provided in my previous posts about this new game. Here, I will write down a basic list of features, without going into detail about the actual gameplay and storyline.

--- Audio improvements ---
This game, codenamed Excalibur, is one of the first audiogames to introduce Microsoft XAudio2 to the visually impaired community. This cross-platform audio engine is the replacement for DirectSound, which is becoming incomplete, slow and obsolete for modern game development. XAudio2 works on Windows and XBox 360. Excalibur will be using the Windows side of this new API to bring gamers high-performance audiogames with extended features, including realtime sound effects such as reverb or flanger. And all that without having to worry about the compatibility of your gaming system: Excalibur will run on any computer that has an up-to-date version of DirectX 9.0c or newer.

--- Stereo versus 3D ---
Even though XAudio2 and modern soundcards offer great support for 3D-audio, I have chosen to stick with stereo sound for this project. Stereo sound is still the number one choice for gaming with headphones, and users who prefer gaming via their speakers do often not have a full 3D-set. Furthermore, stereo audio allows more control over the exact position and characteristics of a given sound. And of course this approach makes sure that Excalibur is compatible with older sound cards too.

--- Performance ---
Slower computers are not excluded from running this exciting new title. The fact that Excalibur is programmed in unmanaged C++ makes it a lightweight application for the more powerful computers, while older systems can still run it smoothly with all audio playing at the most realistic level. The whole program takes only up a very tiny amount of CPU time, making it possible to play the game on a notebook without worrying about your battery life. Memory usage is not more than that of any other audiogame, so your existing gaming setup is perfectly suited for the upcoming release.

--- The future ---
This project is built upon the CrystalSpire game engine. This backbone, written in unmanaged C++, is responsible for all the great features and capabilities of the game, as described above. This engine is still in development, but will also be used for any future projects. This means that, despite the slow progress of Excalibur, the completion of other games will only take a short period of time.

--- Current status ---
The current status of CrystalSpire and Excalibur might seem a little disappointing. The menu system is implemented in a basic way, allowing the user to arrow up and down through his choices, pressing enter to select an option. Also, various hotkeys have been added, such as home and end for navigating quickly through large menus. This means that both the sound engine and the input engine are fully operational. They may need some fine-tuning and optimisation, but they are functional. So after implementing the saving and retrieving of game settings, there will probably be a demo MP3-file to show off the various features.

Once again, the gameplay and storyline have been described in a seperate brainstorming topic already. Read this if you want to find out more about Excalibur, a breakthrough project.

2009-06-11 18:03:50

Actually Ducktale, given the amount of time betwene this thread and the last, i'm amazed at your progress.

entombed and sound rts have already showed us that it's possible to come from concept to playable game, and it wouldn't surprise me if excaliba proves the third strike on this.

As soon as you have something concrete, ----- ie, an audio demo, I'll be glad to post some news, in the mean time I'll be looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

Btw, in sound terms, even for 3D games I prefer headphones sinse it lets the sounds be placed mor precisely, so no complaints from me about the choice of sterrio.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-06-12 11:21:32

Ditto on the stereo, I always did prefer virtual 3d through stereo even just as done by Lone Wolf for example.

I'll be very interested to see how this goes. I was a big fan of space combat games while I was sighted, I sort of miss them laugh.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-06-13 09:42:12 (edited by Ducktail 2009-06-13 21:56:24)

I have decided that as of yesterday I do not like my menu system anymore. Or rather, I don't like the code that runs it. So today I will be researching things like vector<T>, derived classes and inheritance. Sounds like a frustrating day full of "Agh, why doesn't this just work!"-situations.
Anyway, I hope to have this done by tonight. Then I need to fix some musical issues and implement some more menu options to provide a more realistic demo. When this is done I will probably post an MP3-demo to the Audyssey mailing list, and post the link in this topic.

UPDATE: The menu system is fully functional again. Now all that's left is a couple of sound related issues and some features that need to be built in. Oh, and there is this rather weird bug with input delays that drives me crazy. I suppose it's time to bang some heads into some walls again...
UPDATE #2: I am really sorry for spamming you guys. It is mainly because I want to read this back later, when everything is ready to be sold, so that I can laugh at myself and then relax. I have fully rewritten the input engine today. And that is less work than you'd expect. Really, it wasn't that big of a deal at all. The whole old-fashioned DirectInput-system has been dropped. I have chosen for using the native Windows keyboard support instead. This might scare other programmers, but it definitely is an improvement. Many people recommend it nowadays, as DirectInput is slow. That is, it is slow when one uses it for keyboard input. And they have been proven right, the Windows keyboard handling has greatly improved Excalibur's responsiveness. Not that DirectInput wouldn't be able to do it, I was just too lazy to figure out why my set-up was broken. And although Sunday's generally seen as a day of rest, I shall work! Writing a number-speaking function is down the pipe. Be sure to expect more spam from me, a happy programmer with a beauty of a girlfriend (just to give the image that final touch).

2009-06-21 13:24:10

The MP3 demo has been released and can be found here:
http://www.davykager.nl/uploads/excalibur_demo_a1.mp3

2009-06-22 10:17:12

hi Davy.

Very nice. I particularly like the numerical values you've got in for the various volume settings, ---- when you've got ship engine volume, targiting volume ambient volume and who knows what else, it'll be really great to be able to set those precisely.

I also did rather like your sound and music, and actually don't see the need to change them at all, sinse it has just the right feel to me of preparing your fighter to fly off into space.

Human speech in the menues is imho one of those things i can take or leave in the game, though I'd suggest if your planning to have a ship's computer voice for the targiting system, telling you wat weapons are active etc, you might considder using the same voice for the menue to give a sense of continuity.

The thing that comes across most though I think is that your really enthusiastic about the game, ---- which is incredibly good to know, sinse if the developer themselves is board or tired of the game and treating it only as part of a routine, ----- there's not much hope the players will think much to it either.

Also, the more tired a developer is, the less likely they are to go back to a game later and take up player suggestions or add new features, ---- i've actually seen this happen with Vip games zone, who seem to have no interest at all in updating any of their games, or addressing some of the fairly major balancing issues in Lords of the Galaxy.

So, the fact that your so pleased with developement bodes extremely well.

Oh and also you speak better and more grammatical English than a lot of people in England!

You were perfectly understandable and incredibly clear.

while it is true you have a slight european accent, this just makes your speach interesting to listen to, and in absolutely no way takes away from either it's clarity or diction.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-06-22 12:07:16

Thanks for all the good words, Dark! I sort of got a boost by all these friendly words from you and others, so I will continue development, that's for sure. One of the reasons is that this type of game has always been one of my dreams. I've always been interested in simulations, so I will first attempt to write that part of the game. The actual gameplay will follow later.

2009-06-22 15:59:10

Sounds good, and I'll look forward to seeing where this goes.

If you ever need any assistance in plot or dialogue writing or voice acting I'd be glad to help, ----- I do have some on stage experience and can do my own recording in wav or mp3.

I know this is a long way off at this point though.

Oh, and of course, when you've got something testable, ---- it'd be a pleasure to do that too.

2009-06-24 14:45:25

Hi,

I've found your demo interesting. I am also c++ programmer and i guess we can share our experience in audio game development. Perhaps tools i am using are different (i am targeting on multiplatform development, so trying to use crossplatform libraries to achieve portability).
Unfortunately,  i've not found your IM contact info in your profile. So if you want, feel free to contact me at MSN:
[email protected]
Or jabber:
[email protected]

2009-06-24 15:14:33

For game development and related topics, I'd suggest you join the USA Games Software Development list, which is imho the best place to ask questions. For some private chitchat, I have added you to MSN, though. Oh, and I will update my profile! Yay!

2009-06-24 15:24:01

Finally got chance to listen to this. You are certainly very clear, your speech is almost akin to a professional presentation except for the stream of thought flow. That's just because you naturally didn't plan it out, which is perfectly reasonable.

Starting all submenus at the top when entered is perfectly reasonable, and sort of what I would intuitively expect.
Home and end keys in the menu are excellent, I use them a lot around windows so it would be nice to use them here too.
Music changing in the submenus is a very nice touch. If anyone laughs at you, ignore them.

Very interested to see where this goes.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-06-24 15:44:54

I like the sound when you enter or leave a usub menu. that woosh is kinda neat. I also like the music, though if you ask me karen isn't the best voice. smile keep it up though! and please, when you get to the actual game add a need to start the engine! not sure why but I just love doing it lol.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2009-06-24 15:54:38

Scansoft Karen is a temporary solution. She will be replaced by human speech as development progresses.

2009-06-24 16:53:32

Call me weird but I find Karen mildly sexy so I've no complaints. Then again some, not all, Australian accented voices appeal to me.

I'd like to put in a vote to make the in game and menu voices consistent if possible though.

cx2
-----

2009-06-24 21:38:06

I';m not a fan of karen she sounds a bit monotonic to me, and some words, the way she speaks I just don't like it. I like listening to lee though.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2010-01-20 21:05:12

hi! smile what happened to this game! please any ubdats btw the main menu preavu is great! wow  great job keep on the good work!
tongue

music is the life.

2010-01-21 17:53:35 (edited by Munawar 2010-01-21 17:57:34)

Hi,
Congrats on starting a project of this magnitude. Simulators are the most fun to code--but still it will get really really complicated at times, so just stick with it and you'll do fine smile. I have been working on a simulator for the past two years, so let me know if you need any pointers (you can use forum mail to email me privately if you like.)

As for your comments on DirectSound and XAudio2, it's actually XAudio that is cross-platforum between XBox and Windows. However, because XBox was the limiting agent, it didn't offer many high-level features, which upset  Windows-only developers, hence XAudio2 was born, which of course was accompanied by XAudio3D. What I have found to work really well is use DirectSound for general sound, and XAudio2 for music. Since music is something that has to be constantly playing and XAudio2 has a good memory trade off--although its performance is not the best--it is optimal for that. This is especially true if you are wanting to stream a file that is much too large to be practically loaded into memory before being played (IE: an ogg music file.) Directsound is very efficient for small, frequently played sounds but memory management is left up to you whereas XAudio2 tends to take care of the memory stuff. However, I still manually clean up my objects (I guess it comes from dealing with "unmanaged" languages.) Good luck and keep up the good work. I haven't downloaded your demo yet but will when I get a chance.
Munawar

PS: sorry if there are any type-o's, I'm writing this from a PAC Mate and it doesn't offer good havigation keys in edit fields sad.

2010-05-29 03:09:42

I just wanted to congratulate you on the sound trailer for this game. Your English was natural and better than a lot of my friends here in the UK.

I'd love to play a game like this, have you got any news on how you're getting on with it?