2009-06-01 02:02:26

I know that there are quite a few of you out there that use the netbooks, and I have a few questions (okay, probably like ten thousand, but what can I do) from an actual user's standpoint and not a salesman standpoint. First off, which ones do you use? What are teh specs? Is battery life good (I am looking into the 6 cell batteries)?

One of the things I am having trouble deciding on it to go SSD or HDD. I know the arguements. With the SSD, you save battery, boot quicker and all that, where as the HDD gives you more space. That is my arguement with myself. Most of the netbooks that I am lookign into that are affordable or whatever only have 12 GB SDD drives, and that is not going to be enough drivespace. Meaning I would probably have to get an external HDD and run that off of the USB port anyway, killing the battery just as quickly (if not quicker) than just going with a 80 or 160 GB HDD (right?). I would prefer to just get SSD, but until the 32 GB versions come down in price, guess that can't happen. There is also the fact that I guess I could carry extra batteries, but extra batteries + netbook + external HDD with installed programs (for the 12 GB SDD version) or extra batteries + netbook only (for the reg HDD version).

How do you like them. I totally understand they are not powerhouses. tongue
It is not meant to replace my regular computer, but to add an easier to carry alternative. Do you notice that a certain brand's netbook is better than the rest, or as far as the "top names" (Acer, Asus, and the like) are they all pretty much equals. Can you play most of the VI games on them without too much trouble? Does JAWS 9 and higher, Window Eyes, or Hal 10 or higher run smoothly on it?Any other info that you would like to volunteer would be greatly appreciated before I make any purchases. The ones I am looking into right now are the Asus EEE PC 900 (Atom 1.6 GHz, 160 GB HDD and 6 cell batt.) or the Asus EEE PC 901 (same, but with 12 GB SDD drive), both in the 8.9" models. I would prefer the smaller ones so I can carry easier.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Visit my site at VI Tek Talk.
A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2009-06-01 13:19:30

If you want to run any of the screenreaders you list on one of these netbooks, make sure the netbook in question is running windows. I don't know about now, but some didn't run windows. I don't have a netbook, but if I was buying one, the question is what do you need in one? more harddrive space or more battery. I heard that the MSI wind was a OK netbook, but I don't know if it will have what you willl need. I guess you can take this message with a grain of salt.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2009-06-01 17:29:39

Have an Asus triple E 901. The drawback again with the SSD is they have two drives, one 4gb with windows and another 8gb. Install all software on the 8gb drive, you can actually save space if you install office home and student after removing both Works and openOffice. However windows updates cause real problems with the very limited space.

Small note though, the 901 does come with an SD card slot. You could quite happily drop an 8gb SD card for storing your files in.

Another question is how paranoid about damage are you? I was always terrified with my laptop about the hard drive being damaged, I have always kept it in a special padded laptop bag while I carry it around. The SSD netbook I'm quite happy carrying around just in its included sleeve.

Battery life is good, performance is generally good. Use the triple E utility to turn off the wireless when you don't need it, as well as bluetooth, and I always keep the webcam off for those few extra minutes. The super hybrid engine has four options - auto, power save, high and super performance. Forget auto, though this is the default when it boots. Power save is fine for if you're just listening to music or books. High performance is best when you're really working on it, and you can still get easily 3 or 4 hours out of it with the wireless off. It does tend to run warm though. Super performance I only use when on the mains and doing stuff that really bogs it down, it runs ridiculously hot.

Heat is a problem on high performance still, but if you can try to let some air under it as much as you can. The more air you let under it the less it uses its fan and the more battery you save like that.

I would also recommend a USB optical drive, because without that you won't be able to install office if you need to. You don't need tot ake it with you, just use it for specific installs and so on.

Sound quality is good, and you have all the effects available through the realtech utility, but for some reason it doesn't seem to give me stereo in audio games. Works fine in media player, but lone wolf is just flat mono as far as I can tell as was top speed 2. No idea why.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-06-02 05:06:09

Heh, I understand that you have to have to make sure it's a windows based unit. That might be why they are considered Windows screen readers. tongue Now you can get them with Win XP home, XP pro, and two different Vistas (along with different distos of linux type OSs). Why one would ever want to put Vista on one of the netbooks, I could never even begin to imagine, but who knows...

I guess there is the SD card, but it's not room for files that I am worried about. I have USB HDDs and thumbdrives all over the place. It's installed program files. Do the 4 GB and 8 GB drives show up as separate partitions, or are they raided together as one drive? I know certain programs won't let you install on anything but the C drive, so that could make things difficult. If they show up on one drive, I can always get an 8, 16, or 32 GB SD card and use that as "another hard drive" to install to. One can alsotake the 8 GB one out and slide in a larger one too (from what I understand, that is rather simple?). I guess either which way, I planned on getting another battery (the two I am looking at right now (900 and 901 from newegg) both come with 6 cell batteries, so that is a good start.

I am glad that you mentioned the heating thing. That is always something that is good to hear about beforehand. Owning a macbook though, I am used to a little heat in my lap when computing. I am glad to hear too that it does run games like the GMA ones, seeing as that is what I mostly own. I guess mostly it would be used (aside from note taking, character sheets, and the sort) would be MUDding though.

Office... Having to buy an external CD drive jus to install that and other things. sad I could always just install my ISO program on my main computer and turn the install CD into a digital file, and use a thumbdrive though. Thanks for all the info so far. Hopefully I'll be ordering mine shortlyish.

A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2009-06-02 17:08:31

Well like I said stereo is a no, so playing GMA games is very hard to impossible. It has the performance to run audio games though, so if you cna find ones without stereo it's fine. Muds might be tricky with the tiny keyboard.

The iso file thing is true.

The drives are as separate partitions, I wouldn't have said the windows updates were an issue if it was one 12gb drive. As it comes you have below 1gb free, and updates really do make trouble... but then my AV complained if I didn't install them.

If you aren't concerned about the fragility of a hard drive you're probably fine going with the HDD model, which might be a better option. I would only recommend the SSD for people like me who are paranoid about the fragility.

Standby mode works well with Jaws, and it lets you bring it back up in only a couple of seconds. You also don't lose your processor performance options this way. You'll probably have to shut down to swap battery, but if you need to move between rooms a lot then standby is very useful indeed. Set it to auto standby when the lid shuts and you can then just go.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-06-03 07:39:15

Heh, I must have totally missed the updating part of your explination. Yeah, if I would have caught that, I would have understood it as being two drives. With HDD technology now and days, drives tend to stand up to much much more than what they used to be able to handle. I have bounced many a hard drive (okay, the same one or two) over and over (no, not purposely either), and they seem to work just as well as teh first day they showed up (actually, the one was in a laptop that I kept having to send back, and that wasn't dropped, but just jostled a bit).

I could just order the regular HDD version, that'll give me 160 GB to deal with, which I can then partition to how I want it. Also with that option, I can set an insanely huge amount of space for the pagefile/virtual RAM so I should never really have memory problems. If I don't like what the drive is, I can always take it out and replace with an SSD on my own, I hear they are coming down in price. Plus, doing that will save me like $20, so that is my RAM upgrade right there.

The little keyboard thing won't bother me with MUDs. With all the fingers that I have messed up in the past years, I actually prefer the smaller keyboard, and that is also why I want the 8.9" model and not the 10.1" one. For the stereo thing, I guess I'll be installing my Creative software on that to be able to use my new headset (for GMA games). wink Otherwise, just a plain pair of headphones is fine enough for me.

Thanks for all the info smile

2009-06-03 09:38:47

Well the internal sound quality is very nice stereo aside, good for music especially if you set the equaliser in the realtech utility to your tastes.

Hope it all goes well.

cx2
-----

2009-06-07 22:05:24

Do you happen to know if any of the other Windows based netbooks are actualy stereo? I tried looking and looking last night, but couldn't find anything. They all list "stereo speakers" but does that do me any good if I am using headphones? Does it really cost that much more to add the word "stereo" in front of headphone for the specifications listing?

Anyway, enough about that. I have just (within the last two days) recieved some really really good news that sort of pertains to this. It looks as if my netbook purchase will be coming earlier than I expected. Someone is sending me a laptop, and eventually an iPod to do some work to, and in trade for my services, I am basically having the Asus betbook paidfor, including the 2 GB RAM upgrade. Talk about a lucky turn of events.

2009-06-08 13:04:34

Very nice.

Well as I said, the netbook actually does have stereo... it just doesn't seem to work in audio games. I had mentioned it works fine in media player, but oddly not in Lone Wolf or Top Speed 2. Might be some kind of glitch with the direct sound drivers or something, I don't know.

cx2
-----

2009-06-10 22:17:50

I have the Asus EEEPC 1000he

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product1000he.html

It's really nice.

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2009-06-11 08:48:12

I have the EEPC1000. It's the linux model. I installed easypeasy (custom ubuntu for the eee) on it. Stereo sound works fine in audiogames for me under wine. I'm considering putting windows on it as a) the file system on the OS' ssd is corupt somehow and b) not having windows available to me means I miss out on a lot of fun, and I'll admit htat orca can sometimes be slow (+ linux access is far from perfect - I'd need sighted help to fsck and diagnose anyway).  I think most netbooks ship with Intel HD Audio which can support stereo quite nicely.

James

2009-06-11 09:44:56

Well as I said it might be a direct X issue with the stereo. The 901 uses realtech audio, which my old desktop used to use as well, though while my desktop could handle stereo sound perfectly well the 901 doesn't have any stereo in audio games so far... though does in media player.

cx2
-----

2009-06-14 04:06:57

Well, I went out today and got my netbook. I just found out it wasn't quite the one I wanted, but with what I spent, we'll see how it works.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … 8079342133

It is the same as the rest of the newer ones, but no bluetooth, and intel 900 MHz processor versus Atom 1.6 GHz. We'll see over the next couple days if that is going to hurt or not. My gf actually found it searching for me last night to see if I could beat newegg's price. It's the 8.9", 160 GB HDD 1 GB RAM (2 GB stick ordered tonight) and all that. First thing I did, after installing screen reader is killed the webcam. If I need it, I can turn it on when the time comes. I plan on installing VIPMud on it later to see how that'll work on mudding on this thing. I am definitely going to have to get used to the super tiny keyboard, but it's ultra small portability is what I was aiming for versus a 10" model.

I can't seem to update this thing, it seems that possibly the older Asus updates don't like JAWS? I also can't seem to find any power settings aside from Windows "standard" settings where you can choose laptop, desktop, always on, and so on. There was some power utility that was in my startup folder, and the same in my program files folder under Asus, but JAWS for some reason either won't open or access it. So I guess that means no super hybrid engine thing for me. hmm

I plan on dropping the cd into the other computer later/tomorrow to see what I can dig up on finding a manual and what not.

Also, any of you with the Asus netbooks running JAWS 9(or 10 too I guess?) have troubles where Alt + F4 doesn't actually close anything and acts like you didn't press any keys at all (or just like you hit one or the other)?

2009-06-14 14:05:54

The processor will hurt your battery big time. The Atom gives much better battery life, rather thana ny actual processing advantage over the 900mhz celeron model. I've actually seen an analysis that showed the celeron was slightly faster. The super hybrid engine is also only on the atom ones I would guess.

No idea about the alt F4 thing, but I would say I had a lot of trouble with mine early on until I disabled the screen reader and monitor standby. These seemed to screw up the Jaws video intercept somehow, so if I left it sitting for a couple minutes it wouldn't work right for just about anything. Also watch the keyboard layout, mine has the ` key between escape and F1 where it would normally be above tab and to the left of the 1 on the number row. This might vary for you though, given I've got the british keyboard version, but just check you're not doing alt F3 by mistake because there is an extra key there. Also you probably know this, but watch for the Fn key mixing you up too. Keyboard description with insert or caps lock and 1 is handy for checking the layout.

cx2
-----

2009-06-14 20:58:34

Don't I feel kind of stupid now. I knew that the FN and control were switched around, making Cntrl the outermost key. But the "`" being on the top row... Yeah, I was totally hitting ALT F3 and not F4.  The American and British keyboards must be the same then. I never thought to do the Keyboard help because I figured that everything was "sort of" normal compared to a regular keyboard. Thanks for that tasty little tidbit of serious help. smile
If the 900 MHz version actually runs faster than the Atoms, maybe I won't fret yet. I figured it only having half the processor of the atom, performance would be noticeably slower, but guess not. I plan on getting an 8 cell replacement battery for this, so battery life has  just improved for me. smile

Now... just to get used to this damn ultra tiny keyboard.

2009-06-15 08:43:53

Laugh hear you on the keyboard. Just in case you need them, home/end/page up and page down are on the arrow keys using Fn. You can actually use them with the caps lock in laptop layout with Jaws, as if it was insert.

I believe the performance difference was minimal, but present. On the other hand the battery drainw as substantially larger. The Atom chips aren't designed for power, but especially to save on battery power. I think that's why it took the "ultra mobile PC" market so long to take off in part, they just didn't have the battery life as well as being more expensive than a standard laptop. Now they are cheaper than a standard laptop, and the atom is available, well the sky's the limit.

cx2
-----

2009-06-18 21:15:33

Yeah, I found the PG up/down, Home/end keys real quick. I figure dthat those were "standard" laptop layout. Thanks though. smile

I guess for what I paid for this thing, I can't complain (too much). I mean, I saved over $40 versus the atom version on newegg.com (both this and that one were brand new), and newegg came out to be the best (trustable) price I could find anywhere.

I found that multitasking on this is NOTHING like multitasking on my laptop. tongue 900 MHz versus C2D 2.2 GHz is definitely showing a difference. (Who wouldda thunk it?) I did manage to partition my hard drive (I had it for three days before I was pulling it apart to see how accessible things were). Now that I did that, I found it runs smoother a bit. I wish though that they had put in a whisper/quiet drive instead of the one that  they did. The whisper drives from Western Digital, Hitachi, and Samsung would have definitely helped with battery life, and durability. *shrug* Who knows maybe I'll end up taking the drive out of this and replacing it soon with a better version, and possibly a larger drive.

For those that have a hard drive version out there runing Windows, here is a suggestion (that I do with any and all PCs that I run and work on). Take the drive, and partition a space for pagefile. Tell Windows to not use the C: for pagefile, and switch it to the area you just partitioned. Believe it or not, just by doing that, you will speed up the computer a little (and with a max processing capability of 1.6 GHz, everything can help).

I still haven't gotten everything set up on this thing yet, but I am liking it thus far. Eventually, I'll have to throw on MS reader with the TTS engine so I can read the like hundred and change Star Wars books I have (along with all the other ones in .LIT format).

2009-06-19 08:36:51

Sounds a good move. Of course the netbook version of the atom is only single core with hyperthreading, which I tend to find does more harm than good. It makes it hellishly hot.

As to page up down etc, the two laptops I've had have them down the right sde of the keyboard next to the return shift etc to where end is just above the right arrow key.

cx2
-----

2009-06-25 03:40:06

ItsAConspiraZ wrote:

I have the EEPC1000. It's the linux model. I installed easypeasy (custom ubuntu for the eee) on it. Stereo sound works fine in audiogames for me under wine. I'm considering putting windows on it as a) the file system on the OS' ssd is corupt somehow and b) not having windows available to me means I miss out on a lot of fun, and I'll admit htat orca can sometimes be slow (+ linux access is far from perfect - I'd need sighted help to fsck and diagnose anyway).  I think most netbooks ship with Intel HD Audio which can support stereo quite nicely.

Just out of curiosity, how has accessibility come along? When I was messing with Orca/Ubuntu, Open Office wasn't the most accessible, and Firefox wasnt accessible either. Do you just use Orca, or do you use a speakup module too? I am thinking of putting somethign a little more stable, and faster than Windos on it.

(Sorry to kick a dead horse though)