2013-10-07 16:32:02

Those were actually my three favorite themes in the game, although the cave theme wasn't bad at all either and the Ringwraith theme could have been used to great effect, had they stuck more closely to the story, in the scene with Strider Glorfindel and the Hobbits fleeing before the wraiths in the last mile between them and the safety of Rivendell. I wasn't quite as keen on the Moria themes (and I also might have preferred a more climactic theme for the fight against the Balrog) but they could also have been much worse. That's probably the one area where I feel Interplay got things even close to right, seeing as the story, controls and gameplay mechanics were a complete and utter failure. Sad really when you consider the fact that Interplay had previously released other LOTR titles of a much higher quality.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2013-10-07 16:55:35

@Family Mario, if you indeed have the nsf files to kirby Nightmare in dreamland (I've only got the gba version), Castlevania 1 and Zelda, ---- and maybe star troics that would be appreciated.

Regarding nsf players, well the Chipamp plugin will do find with nsf, indeed since Winamp is my mediaplayer of choice I've never really seen the need to convert the files, even the Rsl archives I get from Snesmusic.org, heck I've got music in all sorts of whacky formats, Jim, psf, tfmx etc.

@Bryan, it's finally nice to hear this in it's entirety thanks to Darkabomination's link. Previously I'd only really heard up to the cave theme. While my favourites are Hobiton and the Opening, I can see the chalm in the Ringwraith theme. What amazes me is how similar to final fantasy the soundtrack sounds. The chord sequences especially the heavy use of transposing 7ths, several of the interupting phrases played on the basoon (or Snes's nearest counterpart), it all sounds surprisingly similar to Ff4-8, (even a very similar sound pallet), albeit the composer is different.

The only thing I wonder is how complete that archive is, since there are no unique themes given either for the Balrog or for the game's ending, just the opening theme, Hobitan theme, Caves, wastelands, wringraiths and about 6 different versions of the same Moria music along with what sounds like a short musical sting such as shock or lose to bos (it's not hapy enough for level up or get item).

I wonder if some music is missing, or whether they simply reused a lot of music (the opening or Hobbiton theme is certainly long enough to serve for ending and credits, and the Ringwraith theme would likely cover a multitude of nasties).

Btw, for pure amusement, Here to download is the most mmm, enthusiastic! version of the main Zelda theme I've ever heard!

My brother pointed me in the direction of this many years ago, and since that was before youtube or even practical streaming I downloaded it, and still have it on my  harddrive, and play it occasionally when I want to sing along.

And yes, if you didn't know Zelda had words, ---- it does now! albeit I have no idea what nationality the singer is, at least now we all know Link should be brave and not a cissy coward! big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-10-07 21:37:19

@Dark: I believe I do have them. I'll give you a link to where I found them. When I do find them, I'll edit this post to give ya the link.

2013-10-08 02:23:02

You can find both StarTropics soundtracks on Zophar's Domaine. I have the first one seeing as it was the better of the two. In fact I own both games in physical cartridge form.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2013-10-08 02:44:45

I have a pretty massive archive of nsf files if anyone wants them if they don't have it already.

The awesome brentalfloss  makes a living remaking video game themes with good instrumentation and hilarious lyrics. Example:

Zelda theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_3hE8TOVxU

Doctor Mario theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-EP-0xEDQ

When it comes to well-performed Zelda music, the now sadly defunct Zelda Reorchistrated remade many Zelda tracks from across the series with professional orchestra quality instrumentation. Sadly they never completed their hoped for goal of doing every song in the series, but they did a handful of tracks for each game in the least and redid Ocarina of Time and a more creative version of  Wind Waker.

Wind Waker title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wGS_qv … 9465C0C181

Title Redux: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2pYjKh … 9465C0C181

Ocarina title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjC9jAk … 7F794B8C96

And their crowning glory, Twilight symphony which is a 3 disk 4 hour complete orchistration of the Twilight Princess soundtrack with many alterations minor and major that preserves the bulk of the tracks while making it a whole new experience. The quality can't really be overstated, the team spent 4 years working on it and every song is gorgeous.

Overture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clpvMt0 … SeHf8TV0DW

2013-10-08 10:03:59

Yepk, I should try zophar's domain, it's where I got several of my other soundtracks, though I do slightly wish some of their archives were updated, their Mega drive stuff hasn't seen any new entries since about 2007.

Quite some time ago, I ran across a particularly lovely string quartette version of the Gerudo valley theme from Ocarina of Time, I wonder if this was the same people Darkabomination?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-10-08 21:47:23

I got my NSF files from Zophar's Domain as well. As for others, I had a friend rip them from the ROM itself. I also have Mega Man 9 and 10, two NSF files I remade from scratch in FamiTracker. Here's the thing, Mega Man 9 and 10 were PSN, XBLA, and WiiWare exclusive, so I downloaded the games and was able to cover it from scratch by ear. I ripped the instrument samples and had to try to match those instruments based on how they sounded. This soundtrack cheated soooooo much with things that couldn't be done on the real NES, i.e: extra channels, tempos and other things that couldn't be done on the real thing, etc, as did Mega Man 9 (rarely).

2013-11-24 18:06:31

My favorite soundtrack of all time is of the game Chrono Cross. If anyone knows of any games/music like this, let me know!

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2013-11-25 14:01:35 (edited by BryanP 2013-11-25 18:52:10)

As for Lord of the Rings Dark I do think that archive is complete. I don't believe there are unique ending or Balrog battle themes. In fact I know there aren't because I watched a video on YouTube of that particular section. Not only are there no unique boss battle themes (in fact there's only that one boss in the entire game), but the sounds for damaging and killing the Balrog aren't even unique. All they did was take the sound effects for Frodo or other characters getting injured or killed and pitch shift them down a few notches to make them sound more menacing. Not only that but the ending is virtually nonexistent. As for that little brief jingle I'm not even sure it ever gets used in game. I watched an LP of it. I'm not sure abouut it being similar in sound to FF4, but then again I'm not exactly a musicologist. LOL.

2013-11-25 15:08:21

@Bryan, Well fair enough on ending and bosses I did wonder if that was the case.

Regarding ff4,  there are two reasons I said that. The first is the sound pallet used for several tracks, though many games use similar pallets.

The second and more telling is the quality of the music itself. The use of runs of  connected miner or  modal chords, the changing melody lines on a single instrument, the lengthened ending on a miner7th, the tune that ends on a deminished modal so that it can continue etc.

While I don't believe its the same composer (after all the Lotr game was scored I believe by an American where as ff was obviously Japanese),  i do think there was a fair degree on inspiration  involved there.

@Devin,  I've not heard Chrono cross, though i do have Chrono trigger. I  believe it's on Zophar's  domain in  psf though, I'll have to listen to it.

2013-11-25 18:52:33

I was looking through Castlevania music, and man does the Sharp X 68000
version of Chronicles have some excellent music, rivaling the SNES work from Yuzo Koshiro.

Final boss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ9OsWNLUOg

Makes me wonder how much more awesome Streets of Rage would have sounded with the Sharp's quality, rather than the weaker Genesis hardware.

2013-11-25 19:00:37

I guuess I'm not familiar enoug with musicology to beable to recognize all that. LOL. But I'm prett sure Nobuo Uematsu, te Final Fantasy composer, had nothing whatsoever to do with this game. Whoever they picked did have the rightidea since with only a few exceptions the music is fit for an LOTR themed game. As for unused tracks like that little jingle you sometimes see that. In the NES game Legacy of the Wizard, for instance, there's a sound test which is somewhat difficult to access since it involves performing a code with two controllers, a code that isn't the easiest to pull off, though fortunately the game leaves you in no doubt whatsoever when you've managed to do it right since it plays a very distinct tone that you only hear when performing that code or one of the others it unlocks. But this sound test includes a very fast-paced tune that would seem to be for boss fights, but that you never actually hear anywhere in the game. My guess is that it may indeed have been the boss theme in the Japanese version of the game but was left out of the American version for some reason but still showed up in the sound test maybe only for posterity. And Legacy of the Wizard is definitely one of the better soundtracks on the NES at least in my view.

2013-11-26 03:01:15

Well  abomination, it's intersting  you mention  koshiro, since at the moment one of the things  he's doing is colaborating with Chris Huelsbek on a  comemorative remastered Turrican soundtracks  album. I supported this on kickstarter and will be getting the full four disk version when it's  out along with posters and other goodies. Thus far the  remastered tracks I've heard on previews of the music (another kickstarter reward), have been awsome, particularly what they've done to several boss  themes, there's a lovely compilation of the space world from Super Turrican 2 which up to now was my least  favourite of Huelsbek's  scores.

@Bryan, Yep, unused tracks are a bit of a thing  and I've found them in many games. The     weirdest I know was Mega man 5. This had several  unused tracks which are well known,  since in the game as a sort of Mega man celibratory title (and supposed to be end of x  series), at the last minute they decide to replace some tracks  such as Dr. light's theme and the deep sea  stage music with music from earlier games.

My favourite however is a very light soft  guitar peace simply called "armageddon"   which has no similar counterpart in the finished game.

I'm actually fairly from context, and from the fact that the peace sounds very similar to a theme from the extremely famous  existential anime Neon Genesis of Evangellian, that the music was meant to play when you  got the game's bad outcome.

This didn't end the game, but you basically got a message that a space station full of a robotic virus that made machines go insane crashed into the earth and 9 10ths of the world's  population had been killed! plus,  Zero gets infected with a virus and goes nuts, and the end of the game is the confrontation between x and zero.

I'm willing to bet that soft guitar theme played over the message telling you all about the  devastation and how everything has gone to heck, ---- a very Anime thing to do and also very in keeping with the apocalyptic theme of X5. A shame they killed the serious plot continuity, and  dumbed down  the atmosphere in the next two games, but there you go.

2013-11-26 04:01:51

X6 is still a fun and decent game, gameplay at least. The armors are fun and shadow armor's case, delightfully broken with a few enhancements, and has a decent level design and great music. The plot on the other hand is pretty bad, only being serviceable and light on development, particularly jarring for the X sub series. But 7 and 8 are where I draw the line, having too many rit cons and introducing a new character that clashes too much with the backstory of the Zero series.

And your pre order is sounding great!

2013-12-31 00:31:14

my favs are: miner 2049er (Atari), pitfall 2 (Atari vcs), any soundtrack by mark Cooksey (c64), any soundtrack by kogy kondo (various Nintendo systems), assasans creed 3 (ps3), after burner (arcade), one man and his droid (c64), wanted: monti mol (c64), smerfs: rescue in garamel's castle (coleco vision), brissles (c64 and Atari 800), fatal fury 1 and 2 (neo geo), bonk's adventure (tg16), crash bandicoot 3 (ps1), sky oticy (ps2), rapid words 1000 (handheld electronic game), brain shift (handheld game), sonic the hedgehog 1/2/3 (genesis), street fighter 2 (arcade and snes)

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2013-12-31 02:01:50

Chiptune stuff and old 8bit tracks are fine but I prefer more conservative choices for easy listening. The Guild Wars 1 soundtracks for example are done by Jeremy Soule and in my opinion fantastic. Each addon has it's own music and the music is tailored specific to the theme of the gameplay yet retains the basic identity of the franchise. The basic game is classic orchestral fantasy, factions has Chinese influences, nightfall contains African moods and eye of the north has Celtic and Nordic tunes. Here are the soundtracks:

classic
factions
nightfall
eye of the north

2013-12-31 02:44:20

other good ones are monkey island 1 (dos), howy's great word adventure (dos/windows95), hover! (windows95), pokemon (all soundtracks), final fantasy x (ps2), sonic colors (wii/ds;the wii version is performed by the same orchestra that john Williams used for the star wars films), t.n.k. 3 (arcade), origon trail (windows), dukes of hazard (ps1), donkey kong 64 (n64)

-id software, 1995

2014-01-01 20:08:39

@Abomination, I disagree on x 6 level design having played the game. It had  interesting ideas, but there  are far too many points when things are just sloppy, for example rainy turtloid's weakness with zero being a weapon that it's  actually impossible to use since the boss arena's cieling is too high and to use the ice shot Zero needs to jump to the cieling, or the amount of times in the game you can't actually cross some pits.

I do agree with you about  axl though, stupid, stupid character, though  x8 posed some  potentially interesting questions about the volition of the      maveric virus, though in general still not up to x5.

one interesting  thing though is since X7 (and at least a good bit of x8), went 3D and therefore for me and my low visio inaccessible, i can   pretend quite  conveniently that  Zero does! seal himself away at the end of x6, and lead into the elf wars and the Zero series plot : with X7 and 8 never happening big_smile.

@Blackbird, i'll have a listen to those guild wars soundtracks and see what I think, though generally I confess "easy listening" isn't a favourite of mine, I want something a bit more  defined in melody and atmosphere, which is likely why so many of the soundtracks  I prefer are 16-32 bit era stuff.

@Americandad, the only soundtrack i recognize which you mention was monkey island. I remember the amigar game well, but the soundtrack never  really struck me too much, it was more ambience than actual music, ---- at least with the exception of le'chuck's theme which was nicely piratical with the barrel organ.I don't know if the Dos version was different , though in fairness what is notable about  monkey island is the script, which you can still find on gamefaqs, ---- it's hilarious!

2014-01-02 17:42:41

I've mentioned it before, but Streets of Rage as a whole had an amazing soundtrack. In particular Go Straight is one of it's best tracks, and is one of the danciest numbers I've heard on a 16 bit soundchip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN1MrjXVw7Y

And of course, the C64 produced some quality chiptunes as it combined the standard 8 bit with an extra channel that could produce low quality synth samples and produced some excellently catchy  tunes

Flimbo's Quest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM8DxE5nt4U

Thing On A Spring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmmEBO2lDVI

Rubicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQzuyoc4yk

2014-01-03 02:12:21

the dos version had better music, depending on the sojund card you have. the most well known version of it's music is from the roland mt-32. the roland sc55 gm version almost sounds like it was ripped right out of barney and friends, and the adlib version sounds like an apogee game. speaking of which, wolfenstine 3d (dos) has one of the best soundtracks ever, particularly the barney song medly when you fight the first boss. (by which I mean "march to war" which has the barney opening theme in it, along with some other pd songs from that, culminating with adolf hitler's theme and the UK national anthem)

-id software, 1995

2015-07-13 05:54:02 (edited by Figment 2015-07-13 06:23:23)

Well, here's another interesting thread to drag, kicking, biting, and screaming, back from the dead. I don't recognize most of the games mentioned, primarily because I've never had access to a console, so I ended up being a PC gamer.

I have a small collection of game soundtracks, limited to those that were actually released as such, not ripped from the games.

An off the top of my head list of what I have, note that all of these games were played before I lost my vision two years ago.
* Dead Space 1 and 2
* Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3
* The Witcher 1 and 2
* Trine 1 and 2
* The Orange Box (game collection: Half Life 1, 2, and episodes 1 and 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2)
* Alpha Prime
* Bejeweled 2 Delux
* Mirror's Edge
* Dragon's Age
* Unreal

My favorite is the soundtracks from Bejeweled 2 Delux and Bejeweled Twist. I have yet to find the Bejeled Twist soundtrack, I usually prefer to get officially released soundtracks, even if I have to pay for them, but after this many years and still no official release, I'd be real tempted to grab a ripped one if I could find it.

2015-07-13 22:09:37

I have a massive collection of game soundtracks, which I will list hear:
Blazblue series, including chrono phantasma, it's a very rocking tracks, especially the vocal covers for some characters.
Sonic the hedgehog 1 for the genesis, it's a very cool 16 bit track especially the green hill song.
Sonic generations, ps3/x360/pc, a pretty great remastered music by the composer jun senoue.
Final fantasy x, i like the songs, especially the victory music.
Final fantasy VII, a pretty cool music, with long duration for each of the songs.
Xenosaga episode I, the vocal tracks is pretty awesome.
Sonic cd remastered, i like the vocal tracks, especially the remastered sonic boom by crush 40.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2015-07-13 23:07:46

I really liked the dragon warrior/dragon quest symphonic suites. Favorite one is probably the one for Dragon quest VIII, Sky Ocean and Earth. look it up on youtube. The brass Quintet version is especially compelling.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-07-13 23:40:16 (edited by magurp244 2015-07-13 23:53:29)

Might as well drop a few links to some tracks.

League of Legends DJ Sona tunes:
http://l3cdn.riotgames.com/djsona/DJ_Sona_Music.zip

StealthBastard OST:
https://curvedigital.bandcamp.com/album … astard-ost

Fez OST:
http://music.disasterpeace.com/album/fez-ost

Geometry Dash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIaXQwHUJQ4

Rez OST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzpCf-uCa78

Cave Story OST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH9PaRE … CCBB179475

IronSeed SoundTrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McEugodzHMQ

For some Chiptunes:

The Demo Scenes Purple Motion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_1Xb9z … EE2DCEE411

Chiptune music from other parts of the demo scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBdVRJY … T6-6P_eUsE

And finally the metric ton of music from MonsterCat:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MonstercatMedia

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2015-07-14 05:07:19

Well, I can now add the music from Bejeweled Twist to my collection of game soundtracks. I haven't downloaded it yet because it's protected by a inaccessible CAPTCHA, so I'll have to get sighted help to download it. But that's not much of a problem.