2009-02-18 14:39:42

I know some people here have heard the podcast series of the Falcon banner from http://www.darkerprojects.com/

Well I've been reading my way through the books from http://www.lulu.com/uk/

At the princely some of about 2 pounds each they really weren't that bad buying. While I admit that reading with hal isn't my favourite method, (I'd much rather have a human), sinse the choice was like it or lump it, I went with like i.

I've just finishd "The balance of judgement" AND WILL BE starting "The fifth column" in a moment.

Fantastic series, ---- and quite deceptive.

I original thought the writing style was a trifle symplistic, and certain things were a bit one dimentional, ---- like the amsus being just statically evil.

But what's really intreaguin is the way that background for ll the races and charactors gets introduced slowly over time.

I love the way that miner characters, ---- even people who initially appear just statc redshirts or support staff become major characters and actually get lots of plot and background.

In fact the way that background is slowly introduced reminds me almost of Harry potter.

I also love the way nobody is safe, and even people who look like main characters can have bad things happen to them.

anyway, i'll stop now in case I give out any spoilage. I was just wondering if someone's read these (I know Cx2 has), and if not, ---- I thought people might appreciate both the links and the recommendation.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-02-18 15:23:39

hi
can any one tell me any good books that i can read online for free
or any book like harry potter?!

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2009-02-18 23:31:16

try http://www.podiobooks.com/ I believe the pockit and the pendent is supposed to be Harry potter esque, though I've  not read it yet myself. I also approve of Podiobooks because all there stuff is pod cast audio with human readers.

the Aforementioned darker projects is entirely free, and they have a pod cast audio drama adaptation of the first Falcon banner novel, which is what encouraged me to buy the books.

I don't think I would've done if I hadn't heard the adaptation, and I don't think I would've done if the price hadn't been so reasonable, ---- 2 pounds, (or about four dollars), a book.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-02-19 05:19:26

I never got round to reading the later ones, for no particular reason. I meant to, but I never quite got back in my normal habits after my desktop fried itself. You're right about major characters not being safe though, the position in the podcast drama right now shows that quite clearly.

I really must get those extra books, I do want to know what happened.

Incidentally DarkerProjects has an interview with the author on their behind the scenes podcast, which was interesting.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-02-19 10:28:14

Indeed, I heard the interview, though the section in the podcast currently reached is only the tip of the iceberg as far as royally messing up characters goes.

Another factor I really liked about the books, ---- which comes into play particularly later on, is that there isn't just one enemy side. There are a variety of players, who switch loyalties, and are out for their own ends, and often are just as much against each other as against the good guys.

Even in terms of good guys, there are people who will go to different lengths to attain goals.

My only worry in the series is that the author is going to spin things out too long and never finish. apparently there is a sixth book in the works entitled the black Prince, which I'm hoping will round things off (especially sinse some problems have now been dealt with by book 5), but we'll just have to see.

When I've finished this there's also the prequal novel, queen of ice which I've just bought, though I was saving that for when i finished the series.

2009-04-14 18:11:23

How good is the audio and what are these books about? To bad these can't be gotten on bookshare, unless I'm missing something.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2009-04-14 18:22:12

Space science fiction, available as a free podcast but released very slowly. You can however buy them very inexpensively from Lulu as accessible PDFs. I read the whole of the first book that way, it worked quite nicely and was possibly even more fun than the podcast because of all the extra little detail.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-04-14 18:47:19

The radio play is fantastically done, ---- I agree on the accessible pdfs front. I'm not a big fan of reading with synth, ---- I'd much rather have a human, but reading the books was well worth it, both for the extra details in character experience and such which you don't get from a radio play, and because you can also read the full series, ---- such as it is.

i'm just hoping that the 6th book won't be too long in coming.

2009-04-15 02:04:38

Alright, I'm hooked. Hope I didn't hit the 12000 MB cap on wildblue. I grabbed while visiting family. If I understood, the useage thingy was around  50% before starting, but it started to slow down by the time I finished. on the other hand, the router has been acting up lately.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2009-04-15 06:50:12

Hmmm, neither the pdfs nor the radio play should be that bad for downloading limitations, ---- in fact I took both to Itally on my laptop, which only has a 36 gb drive, ---- though I suppose as I have unlimited download limits both here and at my parents' i don't really concern myself with such things, ---- though i usually stream internet audio plays rather than download them.

Hope you like whichever version of tfb you've got.

2009-04-15 15:46:11

I've got the radio play, wich is around 535 MB. The why I downloaded it was do to the fact that I might be listening when the satalite is out for some reason, like during a storm. Are they following the same main characters? The whole space system sounds like it came out of Miriani. you know, like the jump drive and jump gates. The stario affects are good... I'm going to start the third show when I can so I can see who will get screwed next.

DropBox Referral

2009-04-15 16:12:17

A lot of the sounds seem to be nabbed from the TV series Andromeda, or else using the same sound library. Then again a lot of the music is from there too. I'm sure there is no connection to Miriani at all, it isn't like that type of jump system is even new.

Eventually the cast of characters will become obvious, but for a little while at the beginning while Darius is on the run still things get a little hectic and random.

cx2
-----

2009-04-16 00:42:38

Hmmm, I thought the music at least was originally composed, and I certainly don't recognize any of it, ---- though I can't speak for the sounds.

The idea of jump gates etc has gone back to the 1960's I think, ---- possibly even earlier. Actually Scifi wise it wasn't until I read the novels that I found myself being particularly interested in the background and history of the series, sinse at face value things look fairly generic, ---- fallen empire, randomly evil alien race etc.

Likewise with the cast of characters, it's the fluidity of things in the series that keeps things interesting, nobody is safe, ---- and people who initially look like miner characters prove to become important etc, though the radio play has only just started in that respect, ---- but I'll shut up for fear of spoilage.

2009-04-16 02:41:59

LOL. I'm trying to do one show aday, but I might end up doing two or three a day. I finished show number three this morning. One of the men in the show is, uh different. What up with that dood that always wanting to sleep with what's his name in the shows. You know the one who improved the dragon flie. I can guess, but... I thought the slave deeller was cruel, but there's bound to be alot worse.

DropBox Referral

2009-04-17 09:01:13

I admire your restraint, i read through the entire lot in two days when I started, ---- though admittedly there were only i believe 7 episodes at that thought.

I'm not sure who you mean by "A different guy" the cast stays the same as far as I can remember.

As to what the truth is behind Mat elias, ----- wait and see!

2009-04-17 14:19:43

LOL.The show I listened to yesterday gave me the answer about mat. I kind of guessed as much at the slave market. before then, I thought he was just UH very happy. guess that is the nices way of saying it. Note to who ever wants to listen to these shows, there is some language among other stuff that you may concittor as adult content. I'm guessing that there is a reason for it being on the darker projects page. LOL, I betting I can guess why that site is called darker projects if the falcon banner series is any thing to go by. I'm at a point where they are screwed for sure. Weight a min, aint they always screwed?

DropBox Referral

2009-04-17 16:18:21

Pretty much, ---- but isn't that what makes a good story? ;D.

Actually the "darker" bit of darker projects isn't referring expressly to adult rated content, --- it's just a good name, snse at least a couple of their programs don't feature any such thing.

Tfb is definitely an adult story, ---- but not in a disgusting or overly explicite way, ---- the same goes for the novels.

Oh, and the writer himself is according to his own statement "very happy" to coin a phrase, ---- not that it matters.

2009-04-18 05:33:44

I always thought darker referred to their numerous horror-related projects.

<spoiler warning about the influences, if you're still with the Dragonfly stage>
As to what influences I've noticed in it, the holographic AI seems definitely inspired by Andromeda's own AI. The opening music theme is I believe original, but in episode music is often ripped straight from Andromeda too. Equally the ship's primary intelligence is very reminiscent of Moya in Farscape. There again the descriptions of fighter operations seems influenced by the reimagined Battlestar Galactica.

cx2
-----

2009-04-18 23:08:56

I'm past the dragon fly stage. I'm going to liston to Episode five when I get the chance. Needless to say, I keep on thinking bad things are around the corner and as usual I'm half right. It's not if bad things will happon, but when. Mat will probbally rub off on his friend and I'm bound to see alot of next to imposible escapes.
Oh, it's the writers own choice although I may not aprove, wich might start a debate. If you are or are not won't keep me from liking you as a person, even though I may not like your choice if you get what I'm saying.
As for the darker part, I was thinking about the FB kindof being on the...

DropBox Referral

2009-04-19 07:19:22

I'm not as it happens, but I'm aware a lot of people don't feel it's a choice so much as who they are. I don't think they really want approval from random people anyway.

I'm not part of a religion either, but that doesn't mean I don't respect the beliefs of people who are. Aside from the right wing nutcases I actually think highly of people who can use their faith as something positive in their lives. It doesn't mean it's for me though. That's just who I am, and it's who they are.

cx2
-----

2009-04-19 08:33:50

I'm actually not either, but I've had a few friends who are. Approving or disapproving would be a bit like approving or disapproving of someone being particularly tall, or having particular coloured hair or something else your just born with.

In fact I found the hole thing betwene Mat and darian rather sweet, ---- just as I would've if one of them had been female, but then again I'm a romantic.

2009-04-19 08:55:42

Ditto there Dark. To me love is love, and it's a wonderful thing no matter what the specifics involved are.

cx2
-----

2009-05-19 19:08:54

hi guys
i can't download this falcon banner from darker projeckts
every time i start the download it fails after geting to 17 or 20%
if any of u guys have it plz upload it some were and post the link here
and yes i have tryed downloading the files with a download manager
but it didn't work
they are realy great and i liked them very much
thanks

Follow me on twitter

2009-06-06 15:10:59

hi guys!
i've got a new web site url from were i can download the falcon banner and other darker projects..
are there any other audio dramas like the falcon banner?
which audio do u guys liked the most in the darker projects?
thanks

Follow me on twitter

2009-06-14 20:24:12

Hi.

Generally I'd say my favourite stuff from darker projects are the Falcon banner and Byron chronicals, ---- sort of weerd semi goth, semi fantasy world series with lots of dry humour and just plane weerdness.

Bloodmoon is shaping up to be fun as well I think, but I'll probably see where that one goes.

In general, I find that tfb and Byron are grare the things I actually want to download and re-listen to, however all there other original stuff such as alive inside and Tales from the museum, ----- though slightly less my thing, are worth streaming even if I don't want to give them harddrive room.

The only stuff I actively avoid are their fan produced things for series I know nothing about like the Quantum leap thing and space 1999. Their Doctor who stuff is fun, though can vary in quality I find.

I've not really gone into their startrek stuff yet, ----- though as I finished ds9 last night, I probably should give it a try.