2009-01-07 00:42:13

There's a IM client called pidgin. It allows use of most, if not all, of the major IM networks in one app. has anyone got it to work with jaws, and how? Pidgin can be found here.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2009-01-08 23:27:52

I think moranda IM does the same thing, and I kind of remember a blind person telling me they were using it
maybe andy on this forum?

Connor

2009-01-08 23:39:30

Nah, never used it. I prefer to use the clients directly, but I'm only on one at a time so I don't get like 9 sounds yalping at me, "you got a message! You got a message!"... So as not to lose my sanity I use one at a time. I tried MirandaIM but found it to be nightmare. It kept minimizing to the system tray and none of its functions seemed to work right with JAWS.

2009-01-10 23:23:18

oh.. my mistake then

Connor

2009-01-11 15:17:36

I have that very problem with mirandaIM. glad I wasn't missing something. Guess I'll just use each client as I need it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2009-01-18 18:50:53

I have miranda IM and I have no problem using it with jaws.
Miranda is much better than WLM even if you use it only for MSN : it is much, much, much lighter. WLM is a gas factory (Translation note : "usine

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2009-01-19 18:30:47

Pidgin will not work with Jaws in the forseeable future because it uses gtk which doesn't have any accessibility features in windows.

2009-01-20 03:51:10

That's ashame about the gtk thing. I have a brother that was surprised to hear that pidgin wouldn't work with jaws. I guess with him, if it's text and the text is inside text boxes, then jaws must beable to read it. With MirandaIM, how do I know who's online and who's not. I would also like to divide Some of my friends up in groups. Yahoo messenger is much better then windows live messenger about not filling the screen with crap that I wouldn't want to click on the first place, not that YM doesn't put up adds.

DropBox Referral

2009-01-20 10:09:33

For miranda, to have access to the contact list, you should set the classic skin. It's easier. Groups are supported too, and you can sort your contacts by group, protocol, alphabetically and more.
The biggest problem with miranda is that there is no tutorial and it's a bit difficult to get to know the program. There are many options and it's not well organized.

If pidgin uses GTK or QT or WXWidget, yes, it infortunately definitely wont work with jaws. These GUI libraries are not very well accessible, or even often not accessible at all.
FS should make an effort to support GTK and/or QT, but since these libraries are free software and mostly used by free softwares, they simply ignore because there is too few money to win. They prefer concentrate on office 2007, IE8, and windows 7.

2009-01-24 06:51:47

Pidgin is perfectly accessible under linux with Orca.

I've used Miranda with JFW in the past. Once you set up hotkeys to bring it up from the background (s well as IMs as they come up) it's a lot cooler and easier.

James

2009-01-24 14:33:02

Pidgin is perfectly accessible under linux with Orca.

I would like to switch to linux, but until now I haven't been convainced enough by orca. Too buggy, much too slow, and espeak is awful.

I've used Miranda with JFW in the past. Once you set up hotkeys to bring it up from the background (s well as IMs as they come up) it's a lot cooler and
easier.

Yes, the shortcut to show directly the contacts is very useful. IL personnaly set it to Ctrl + the key  next to "1" on the left.

2009-01-25 21:20:46

I've been using linux and mac exclusively over the past couple of weeks (mac since last year and linux on and off since march 08).  Orca is a little laggy, especially when using the default gnome-speech espeak driver.  Speech-dispatcher speeds it up a considerable amount... but introduces more bugs (as SD is still quite buggy).  I got a new netbook and installed easypeasy (a distro specifically for the Eee) but find that the fan blows all the time and specific tasks (using the internet, navigating in trees for some reason particularly the one in pidgin) are sometimes uncomfortably slow.  Ubuntu runs much more smoothly on my old Toshiba M55 even though the specs of the two machines are comparable (almost the same).  Maybe solid state was a bad choice.  New topic perhaps>

P.S.,
I like espeak.

P.P.S.,
I'm writing this from the Mac.

James