2008-12-29 01:18:00

I'm writing on this subject, because I was interested to find board games for blind. That's self explanatory, but in my country as far as I'm concerned aren't any dealers who would get them for me. That's because there's only one dealer and on their website I haven't found any such board games. In fact they're not importing games at all.
So is there any provider that is sending their things to other countries as well and if possible I'd like to see a link or some directions how to see the listings available.
How I got this idea at all was that as I'm currently in student exchange in Hungary and my exchange family like to play board games together I was interested to become an owner of some games at least when I get back to my home in Estonia.

Languages don't influence the way we think, but they still have a world and worth in themselves. Celebrate your mother tongue, the world is a diverse place.

2008-12-30 16:34:41

I've once seen a monopoly of london, but where did my school get it, I don't know. There also was some crossword games.

Languages don't influence the way we think, but they still have a world and worth in themselves. Celebrate your mother tongue, the world is a diverse place.

2008-12-30 23:45:03

Hi.

the RNIB in theUk is where my family and I get all such things, ---- including the monopoly set you mentioned. They also do braille chess sets and packs of cards (we're looking at getting a set of braille uno cards).

You can find their games bit on http://onlineshop.rnib.org.uk/browse.as … =1&l=2

And I certainly know they do overseas orders,sinse on their shop page is a contact E-mail for overseas customers which is mailto:[email protected]

they only tend to do very traditional games though, and not too many of those, chess, monopoly, and peg solitare (also I believe called hacu, ---- though basically think a board version of blank block from lighttech).

Hth anyway.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-12-31 14:32:18

Thanks dark. I'll certainly get myself a monopoly then. But if anyone knows of something more then please give me a note. During the last days we in my exchange family have braillised some games for example alhambra.

2008-12-31 15:21:35

No problem.

Actually, I'd be interested to know if any more intreaguing games have been done in braille. As my mum also reads braille we've brailled some games as well, in particular one called compatibility which is great.

while the rnib monopoly is pretty good, the rnib in general do have the issue (as with many Vi services), that they are very much geared towards older people.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-12-31 17:23:05

Their services being towards older people and also the multiplence of organisations is also a problem here and they certainly don't know how to work together with eachother. So I as not currently passivly being forced to belong to some of them, but actively independent person am forced to be in the center.
But about the boardgames. I think with the help of friends and family, we'd be able to produce even more interesting games than the companies. And we can customise the thing to our needs and likes.

2008-12-31 19:29:47

I personally never bother with centers or other vi organizations, in fact other than my mum and brother the only time I actually interact with Vi people is online reguarding accessible games.

customization of games is good, though it does require some work. Compatibility involved brailling cards and labeling the board for example.

2009-01-02 21:26:17

Labeling cards allows you to develop your own labelings or to learn the markings of other nations, for example I labeled myself cards in Hungarian just because to remember the local marks and therefore to be able to play with my family here. But has anyone ever tryed to braillise Alias or some these kind of games?

2009-01-02 23:18:31

Hmmm, I've not heard of alius before though looking at good old Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_(boa … )#The_name it doesn't strike me as a hard game to braille.

compatibility works with almost the same hardware, ie, a pack of word cards with 6 words, and a board with number spaces ----- pluss packs of picture cards as well.

In our set, one pack of word cards and one of picture cards, and the board have been brailled by me and my mum.

To be absolutely honest though, Alias sounds more like a standard version of the old charades game, just with a board for keeping score, and players given a word instead of thinking up a word for people to guess.

i played charades myself actually very recently at a new years party, describing various people or things without saying there name or being too obvious.

I got smacked for doing micky mouse in two words "disney logo" lol!

To me the more interesting styles of games are the semi tactical, semi chance board games like game of life, Rat race, the Pyramid game, go for broke or especially atmosphere, though again those would be fairly hard to lable.

2009-01-03 14:58:09

I think the actuelly most hardest games to braille, if at all possible are strategical games where you'd have to govern your units and men through the game board. The reason why it is impossible, is the the number of units and the almost certainty that they will topple unless you get a magnet and try to make a special board.

2009-01-03 16:32:00

Yep, anything like risk would be a nightmare in the brailling department I think. it's a shame sinse there are some interesting board games along those lines, ---- though then again, those sorts of things always do better on computer I think.

You don't need magnets though, double sideded tape velcrow can be a wonderful thing in those sorts of situations.

2009-01-03 20:01:46

But these kind of games existed long before the computers and although computer almost always makes a good oponent, I think the feeling of a real human opposing you in the game is more interesting
And if anyone other has also experience making games accessible or more spacificly to do them in braille, they should also join in the discussion.